Is getting an older luxury car a good buy? I've been checking some luxury brands on cargurus for shit and giggles...

Is getting an older luxury car a good buy? I've been checking some luxury brands on cargurus for shit and giggles, and I was surprised to find that older luxury cars are relatively affordable to buy, all things considered. Nowm when it comes to maintenance and parts, this is where things could start getting expensive really fast, and I wanted to get opinions from you guys that know much more about cars than I do.

Potential pros:

>riding in style
>comfortable luxury that still holds up
>luxury cars often have more safety features
>owners are more likely to have taken good care of them
>can be found in better conditions relative to their year of make

Potential cons

>expensive maintenance
>too flashy, can call the attention of the wrong kind of people
>parts could be expensive

I've been looking at models from late 90's and early to late 00's from Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Audi and BMW and it's the same story. Luxury that you probably thought you could never afford, made available to you thanks to devaluation. To be honest, if I could afford it I'd go for one of those if the price is right.

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=104&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m43&zip=01841#listing=171719274

MB went through kind of a renaissance where they were building cars of terrible quality in the 90s. Started turning around in mid 00s

BMW is ludicrous with maintenance but ask anybody who bought a second hand 750i, I bet half of them don't regret it (much)

Audis became lease queens in the mid 00s... I have heard from friends and coworkers that after 50k miles they start to disintegrate

And Jaguar... I just wouldn't. That being said, you can buy one for less than $5k...

There was a time where I almost bought an E55 MB, 500 supercharged hp from one of the best engines ever. The projected maintenance deterred me though. Good luck

>W211 with 199k miles

I don't think you're cut out for buying an old luxury car.

Do the Carmax warranty deal if you want something European, it WILL get expensive.

A Lexus will be a little pricier but bulletproof.

I don't think it's a bad buy, necessarily. Just get some old German thing with a NA inline-six and a manual like an E39 530.

Ls400, gs300, e36. Probably all I'd consider. All three available for 3k and under as well.

Even shit tier luxury cars will be more expensive to maintain. Just don't be a retard and do research on shit before you buy. For example the E38 728i uses the same engine as the E39 so it's pretty solid (slow though), can even get a pre-VANOS one, there really isn't any reason a car like that should be prohibitively expensive unless you're homeless. It's just a matter of doing your research on a case by case basis.

As someone else said Lexus' are pretty solid, but you still can't run them on a shoestring budget like you can with some 3k Civic as all the wear parts shit like tires, brakes and fuel will still be more expensive. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a Mercedes as their interiors are garbage compared to something like a Jaguar, Audi or BMW and they have a history of being the shittiest reliability wise. X300 Jaguar is pretty much bombproof so long as you get one without rust, pre-2000 X308's will need the timing tensioners done if they haven't already, otherwise should be good. If you're getting an Audi I'd avoid their V8's, if you're getting a BMW V8 get the x40i rather than the x35i as they are the same maintenance and reliability wise but have more power.

In general avoid air-suspension, CVT's and V12's unless you like throwing money away. For context, I bought a early-2000's 3k Audi once and it cost more in maintenance in a year than the initial purchase price.

Pretty much this. Don't be a retard about it, try to stay under 125k.

>owners are more likely to have taken good care of them
lol no chance.

Often expensive cars will have been bought by some rich yuppie 15 years ago who got it as a status symbol who didn't care about it. It will then have been passed on to some guy who didn't have enough money to run it right and has fucked it up. If you see a luxury car being sold in a shitty area just don't waste your time.

Little side note, I saw one of these in the flesh a few days back and they look surprisingly nice still.

Shame they all blow their transmission at 150k.

Absolutely not. They're cool cars but if you are on a budget then they're not your daily driver. Things will go wrong and parts and labor aren't cheaper just because the car is old. It's still a Mercedes Benz at the end of the day.

You only want the car to look cool, trust me the novelty will wear off in a few months and after a couple of years the only good thing about the car will be that it looks nice and has a cool badge but that's it because the upkeep and cost on the car has wore your morale down. Do NOT buy one of these cars and expect to drive it everyday. Buy one after you already own a DD econobox or something and cruise in it every now and then but you cannot afford or do not want to afford one of those shitboxes

>Is getting an older luxury car a good buy?

only if you get a lexus. i'm biased because i own an '06 LS430, but literally everything else will probably have 2-3x the ownership cost of an older LS.

>ut you still can't run them on a shoestring budget like you can with some 3k Civic as all the wear parts shit like tires, brakes and fuel will still be more expensive.

while this is true, parts are not 2-3 times more expensive. larger tires are more expensive, rotors are more expensive, but that's just due to the size of the parts themselves, not the fact that the parts are anything special.

keep in mind that the 3UZ in the LS shares a ton of parts with the 2UZ that went in every Toyota truck, which means that parts in general are really affordable. a lexus dealership will charge you more for parts, but even then it will be much less than any german make would.

>I personally wouldn't waste my time with a Mercedes as their interiors are garbage compared to something like a Jaguar, Audi or BMW

yeah nah, the LS has a really nice interior. not sure where this comes from. the IS300 obviously isn't great and neither was the GS though.

>yeah nah, the LS has a really nice interior. not sure where this comes from. the IS300 obviously isn't great and neither was the GS though.
I didn't know Mercedes-Benz made Lexuses desu.

i just woke up and completely misread that as him talking about lexus since he mentioned them earlier in the same paragraph

ill just leave...........

Why is it so elegant brahs?

Because it's a Jaaaaaaaag.

Funny how the S series didn't hold up that well compared to the XJ series. Even XJ's from the 80's look fine as fuck.

>tfw no factory V12 to cruise around looking for a coke dealer

Threads like this are a prove that most people on Veeky Forums are newfags between 16-21 years without a car or with first shitbox. I mean every fucking normal person who owned some cars knows that used luxery cars are cheap in price but a money eating monster in maintenance. There is no fucking reason to discuss this.
If you buy a old luxery car without having the skills to do 80% of the maintenance by your self is beyond stupid (or you are rich enough and you don't care)
I owne a BMW 740i E38 and a 750i E32 because keeping this cars in good condition is my hobby since years. If you can't fix parts and problems by your self then better get a new car or a cheap shitbox.
>tl;dr OP is a underage faggot

>you are not allowed too learn anything and must know 100% of things from day 1

k

Im from Europe and it's not really that expensive to own an European car here, I mean a jap is cheaper but I see those astronomical American bills for Audis and other European pleb cars and I can only think that you are getting cucked in America from that "LUXURY" status car which is just standard here.

>too flashy, can call the attention of the wrong kind of people

Hahahahahahaha

Europe gets special lower-tier base models with smaller engines and less options.

What's so fucking funny?

Get used American luxury, They're not quite as luxurious as European brands, but they will still be comfortable as fuck and beat the hell out of an econobox. Unlike the European cars, they can be dirt cheap to run since they share a shitload of parts with more common cars.

Bullshit
Audi USA and VW offer the 1.8t and the 2.0TFSI
We get the same engines and they aren't even close to being expensive to maintain here

The A4 in the US starts with the 2.0 TFSI, where the Euro base model gets the 1.4 TFSI.

What makes you think that the 1.4 is cheaper to maintain? It's even worst
The 1.4 is just to avoid taxes in some countries not maintenance.

It's cheaper to buy. I said Europe gets cheaper, lower-end base models with smaller engines.

Lexus LS. The only one that won't bring home expensive bills all the time.

Just saying that neither are expensive to maintain here.
And I'm pretty sure the low spec US Audi is the same as the EU low spec, the engine depends on your country

If you make a lot of money, sure. Just bear in mind genuine parts are typically super expensive, and even a standard service will usually be at least twice as expensive compared to the average econobox.

I'm assuming this is your first car and/or you're young? I'm gonna give you actual advice, with the exception of Lexus and a handful of other models, most older luxury cars are total money pits. Even the ones that were maintained religiously will cost you serious cash eventually. And I definitely do not recommend any luxury car as a first car, especially a BMW. Get a shitbox, learn how to drive like a normal person, see what is and isn't important to you as a car owner. After 1-2 years then decide what car you want