How real is the 4.0 SOHC timing chain meme?

How real is the 4.0 SOHC timing chain meme?

Checking forums results in extremely mixed messages.
>4.0 remove motor anything after 100k grenades

And
>Original motor, third trans, 275k no timing problems

I understand people don't really go to forums to post how well things have held up so I'm unsure.

I've only come across one Craigslist advertisement regarding a timing problem with the 4.0, but it had iirc 230k.

A timing chain, to me, is just a maintenance item.

I can purchase a reman 4.0 from Ford for

Other urls found in this thread:

carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How real is the 4.0 SOHC timing chain meme?

It's no meme m8
ONE OF THE BIGGEST FUCKING MISTAKES FORD EVER MADE

fucking ford the 4.0 ohv runs forever
lets make it into a 4.0 sohc and fuck shit up

just buy a 5.0 v-ate and save yourself the hassle

>A timing chain, to me, is just a maintenance item.
not with this engine, enjoy pulling the whole engine out for this "maintenance"

also 3rd gens a shit get a second gen or a 4th gen

My dad has one of these shitters in the exact same color sitting in his yard because it has a bad transmission and they only made it for like a few months or some shit. He threatens to get it towed away but I want to fix it cause it has no rust

02-05 exploders are complete garbage, you literally couldn't pick a worse vehicle.

Yeah literally buy anything but the 02-05. I have a 98 5.0 AWD and so far it's been pretty solid.

It's very real. And it wasn't the chain so much as the guide for the chain on the right head which is in the rear on that side. The nylon guide would break and result in the chain being loose enough to allow the cam to skip time. Caught early, a skilled tech could fish the broken guide out and a new one in no problem. Once the guide breaks up you have to remove the engine to remove the debris and install a new guide. If it was driven to the point of skipping time then it was new engine time because the valve would hit the piston on the edge, potentially trapping the top compression ring which you wouldn't find out about for a few thousand miles after having spent thousands to R&R the engine and then have to do it again.

Further it's not a question of IF the original guide will fail but When. Odds are good that if the engine has survived to 200,000+ miles something occurred to like the guide or engine was replaced early on and has been forgotten of the current owner never knew. If the price is right I wouldn't worry about too much just know that if you ever hear an odd, erratic rattle from the right rear of the engine Stop Right Now!

I had a 4.0 sohc and it ran well past 200k before the water pump failed and I got a new car

carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/

never understood why people flip their lids on changing a timing belt or chain saying "oh no! you have to remove the engine". I've seen videos online and the engine is always pulled. I've changed many belts on transverse and longitudinally mounted engines and its never worse than removing the radiator for space or taking out a motor mount. Now of course I'm probably wrong, but would you care to explain why you'd have to remove the engine just to replace the chain?

You may be able to engine swap it.

because Ford, in their infinite wisdom, put the timing chains for the 4.0 on both sides of the block - left bank is in the front, right bank is in the rear, so to get to the right one, you have to remove the engine. Same on the Ranger too iirc.

>tfw you look up an old vehicle you used to own and see a shitload of reports of airbags not deploying in accidents and subframe rust causing suspension components to detach while driving

You can replace the rear chain with the engine in. Ask me how I know.

>Ask me how I know.
You watched a YouTube video?

I put intake gaskets on one and dropped a piece of plastic gasket in a cylinder. Had to take the head off to get it out.

For those wondering what the right upper timing chain area looks like here's how it is with the engine out. The chain runs down to a sprocket close to the middle of the engine there where you see that small plug out.

Is there anything else wrong with the third gen Explorer? I really like the looks of it compared to the first and second gen.

I'd buy a Bronco II before a first gen Explorer.

Apart from the 4.0, what else is wrong with the third gens?

I'd like a sport with the 5 speed. I haven't come across a sport with the 5.0 or 4.6 with a standard transmission.

I'll Google it in a moment, but did any company come up with an aftermarket solution?

>The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly

Got a chuckle out of it, but they're concerned about the automatic transmission and wheel bearings.
>$500-1000 repair bill for wheel bearings

The full-size explorers had the 4.6. Not sure if it'd be doable in the sport, but it's tempting.
>Sports have a 10" shorter wheelbase

Just looked up my current DD and I'm not having the problems submitted, apart from the 4l60e and 4.3 gaskets.
>4l60e I bought off some guy on Craigslist turned out to be in similar condition as the original

Huge gigantic waste of time that was.

Could it be accessed if the transmission was pulled? Wouldn't be my first time tearing a transmission out to access a slave cylinder.

>entire thread telling you to not buy it
>desperately looking for any way to justify buying this miserable heap of shit

Atleast he didn't buy a used 7 series

The only negative mentioned in this thread is a maintenance item. I've learned what I wanted to. Instead of the job being a 2-3 day process it'll be a week plus long job of frustration.

I now know I should probably consider pulling the engine before bothering using it as a DD.

After browsing forums the rear end is sensitive to fluid condition and levels. Wrong or dated fluid kills the rear end.

The automatic transmission is some kind of weird sealed unit.

Odd though, the automatic can tow drastically more.

You do work on your own car, right?

you should trip up user. you are dense enough to be a regular tripfag.

>not pulling your engine to get into every knook and cranny for a spotless engine bay
It's like you people don't see the benefits here