Why are car manufacturers using this god damn fucking pieces of shit infotainment touch screen bullshit

Why are car manufacturers using this god damn fucking pieces of shit infotainment touch screen bullshit

Literally WHAT IS THE POINT of having this unreliable bullshit vs regular buttons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5hrw_iwEF64?t=27m15s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I appreciate it when it's there to add functionality but even as a passenger it fucking sucks when you need it to control the AC or do basic shit physical buttons have always done

Not to mention the cost of repair when this stuff fails

I think the worst thing is there is no tactile feedback.

On a car with physical buttons you can keep your eye on the road and physically stick your hand over and feel the button shape, and whats next to it to know what to push. little to no eyes required.

On a meme screen you HAVE to look because if you feel around the screen you will go tot hw rong menu or activate the wrong control. Not to mention at night yoru eyes will get strained looking from bright screen to dark road and back.

This is Elon's fault, ain't it?

>Why are car manufacturers using this god damn fucking pieces of shit infotainment touch screen bullshit

Because the car manufacturers had planned to have all the cars run applications purchased or rented from the app store. It would be similar to android or apple, but it would be an exclusive system created and run by the manufacturers. Their apps would collect data and of course market it. Since such data could easily have the car data, locations, timing, your employer (based on where you park it during work hours), cellphone integration and phone lists, music choices, radio station choices, and entertainment options, all that data is of value in establishing what type of person you are.

Against that coming day, touchscreens and other non-removable features are being installed. I cannot replace my touchscreen with a 3rd party product for example because a number of car options are selected on that touch screen.

>Why are car manufacturers using this god damn fucking pieces of shit infotainment touch screen bullshit

Because the vast majority of customers want it. Thus the few people who don't want it are forced to get it as well.

I really don't like them, but the one in my challenger actually gives you car performance opinions and stats rather than just the usual entertainment screen.

What happens in a few years when the current cars are now used cars and a lot of people cant afford reparing all the electronic problems

>a lot of people cant afford reparing all the electronic problems
Then car makers celebrate at having yet another non-illegal reason to force consumers to buy new cars.

but people who buy used cars in the first place because of financial reasons would not buy a new car

Then those dumb people buying them used will be a second class citizen while glorious classic car owners like myself will be revered as prophets

this argument is retarded as you'd have to have so many buttons in a modern car you'd have to look down

Increase the likelyhood of car wreck, then pass regulations that all cars are self driving. Charge more for them. Now you can be wired to the internet, tracked and observed for that 30 minutes you are driving to work.

That really is the reason google is developing the self driving car, for that 10-60 minutes people unplug, if only partially, to fucking drive.

Is that not the most pathetic and petty thing you have ever heard?

Most likely you'll see them leasing CPO cars with warranties. After the end of the second leasing cycle, the car will be sent to a recycling center so that a breaking-down shitheap doesn't do damage to the automaker's brand. Car ownership will become a thing of the past for most people.

Another case of Normie's ruining everything
High risk high interest rate loans for everyone ;)

>adding objectively superior technology to a vehicle is a bad thing

>subjectively.

this
Elon Musk will save us all

every captcha you solve gets us one step closer to the rise of self-driving cars and a complete ban on manually operated vehicles
embrace the future

You could have 500 buttons on your dash and still create muscle memory to know where all of them are without looking. You can't feel the images on a touchscreen. There's no feedback to let you know you've pressed anything. Even if you're 100% confident in your ability to stab at the glass accurately, there's no guarantee the software on the shitty Chinese tablet in your dash actually accepted the input so you still have to look down to make sure.

It's an "oldfags can't handle change episode"

google "haptic feedback" and stay btfo

This is why 90s shitboxes are best

if you're a poorfag and that's all you can afford

>Increase the likelyhood of car wreck, then pass regulations that all cars are self driving.
Regulations "forcing" people to use self-driving mode might not be needed. Insurance rates will do that because any car that spends more than 5% of its time manually driven will incur the higher insurance rates.

This is due to insurance being a pooled set of drivers. Generally, the affluent drivers are also the better drivers in terms of safety records. As self-driving cars become mainstream, more of the better drivers will move on to self-driving cars, thus leaving behind a pool of drivers that gradually has fewer and fewer good drivers in it. As a result, that pool of manual drivers will have higher rates that constantly go up month by month.

Meanwhile, all the cars on the freeway seem to slow down (or speed up to get out of the way) as this one car zips on by your car. It's Paris Hilton using her VIP Status. Self-driving cars broadcast status, so they know to get out of the way of VIP cars and to give those cars bigger buffer spaces for privacy. So if the VIP Car has privacy mode on, your car will not be driving alongside of it.

There's a point in technological "progress" where shit becomes too complicated and starts moving backwards. Companies create problems just to create solutions when they could have left well enough alone and delivered a better product.
Example:
I just learned yesterday there are smart dryers now that sense when your clothing is dry and shut off to save energy, instead of running a whole cycle. But when I looked up reviews, it was full of people complaining that the sensor was always wrong and their clothing came out slightly moist and they had to run the dryer a second time. The sensor dry is inconsistent and unreliable. It wastes people's time when they expect a load to be done within a certain time frame. Running it twice wastes more energy than one longer cycle on a "dumb" dryer would have. My old dryer from the 80s would never give me a load of still-wet clothing, but manufacturers are never gonna go back to non-smart dryers, they're just gonna waste R&D trying to improve the sensors.

Haptic feedback still can't create the shape of a button or knob, and I have it on my phone and sometimes it vibrates even though the app hangs and nothing happens. It's shit. Stay stupid as fuck.

sperg more

>when you reach down to crank the volume but accidentally change the fragrance on your in-car perfume atomiser and take a selfie with the front facing camera and then like a post on Facebook

Nice argument faggot. Just admit you lost.

remember texting under your desk in class with your nokia 3310?
now try again with your iphone

yes, keep sperging
touchscreens > buttons

If you don't have an actual rebuttal besides calling me a sperg, just don't respond. You're embarrassing yourself.

more (You)s
give me more (You)s

THIS IS THE FUTURE WE CHOSE

Yes, for all the necessary driving shit like setting up bluetooth integration with your smartphone, so you can crash sooner

>THIS IS THE FUTURE WE CHOSE
More like, it is the future we get when the vast majority of people don't care enough to protest against it or argue for a different approach.

What are some new cars that don't have a tablet stuck in the dash?

You'll probably yell louder once they become standard in the BASE model. At that point, the manufacturer and designated service dealer (user selectable) can push advertisements onto the screen. Of course, they will be carefully worded so they look like service advisories or car maintenance advisories.

I ordered my 2017 Wrangler Unlimited from the factory and got the radio with buttons and made sure the blutooth and stuff were not put in it. Still has nice leather seats, premium sound, power windows and locks, heated seats, block warmer, ect. Just no bullshit infotainment.

youtu.be/5hrw_iwEF64?t=27m15s

>people actually buy cars with this shit
>car nose dives in value driving off the lot because of infotainment systems that use 5 year old smartphone hardware
>mfw my climate control nobs can be used before my manlet tablet boots up

I'm 18 and think this shit is stupid
anyone with half a brain should be able to spot why all this tech in cars is a bad thing

>posting le meme man reviews
alright guys lets take this for a spi-WOAHAHAHAHAOWOAOAOAOAOAOAWHA

I was looking at a Golf. Even the base model has the infotainment system in it.

How difficult do you think it would be to remove it? How integrated is this thing?

We'll that depends on if the climate control and stuff is controlled by the tablet or if there are stuff knobs. If it's all on the tablet, it is beyond my skill set to tell you how to do it. It's probably possible, but not actually worth it. If there are still knobs and it's just a dumb touchscreen, 3rd party radio should be easy. But at that point, why not leave it? I had an aftermarket touchscreen in my GTO, and it worked great. Granted it was a very simple one from the mid 2000's.

thats not SubaruCuckFan

>my car has a pretty good looking older radio
>the aux cord is a fucking hassle while getting hectic

It's a mixed feel. Why are all bluetooth dongles either ugly as sin or chinkshit?

Honestly, you just sound like fucking old, white racist men who hate change and live shit lives driving around in a Toyota Corolla.

Button just feel so much nicer to use than screens, but only if they're well-engineered and have a satisfying sound.

Self-driving cars just sound like such a tragedy. I can see them only being driven by glum middle-income office workers, whose lives haven't turned out as well as they'd thought it would.

>buttons
>not best slide controls
You can set these fuckers without even glancing that way. Just feel and sound.

INTERACTIVE

SOCIAL

REAL TIME

LIVE FEED

UPDATES

2017 IS THE CURRENT YEAR

TOUCH SCREENS

TECHNOLOGY

Any car built starting May 2018 is required to have a backup camera. Manufacturers are pretty much gearing up for this by streamlining LCD screens in all of their vehicles.

what the fuck mane, is this for real? what happens if it breaks/gets covered with road dirt/mud?

also lol at the normies buying cars with this shit, how many manufacturers have updates planned for these or does everyone just get cucked when the screens gradually become unusable

plus there is are the obvious problems of lack of feedback, more expensive to replace a whole screen than a single swtich, and the distraction potential for starbucks fulled normies pawing at more shiny shit or checking faceberg

if i wanted a screen in my car i would glue pic related to the dash

Ah ha, I have a S550 and I accidentally turned on the air ionizer instead of the heated seats.

What about the best of both worlds? My cars climate control, volume, skip tracks, radio tuning, source input, navigation button, and a couple more are all buttons. Then there is a nice touch screen for the rest. Also some of those are on the steering wheel too so the driver has control without looking away from the road. I like a nice screen display for my navigation and music.

What car do ya have?

Vf series Maloo r8.

this sounds ok but be prepared to lose your stereo when the touchy screen inevitably breaks/becomes less responsive

at least you can buy one of those screen mounted sat navs to replace that function

niceu give pics

This is the best way of integrating the touch-control.
Lexus puts these raised lines and you move your finger up and down to control the temp.

They look sleek, are functional and don't use a touchscreen.

I doubt it's that bad Bro. But If it does ill replace it with a better aftermarket one. No big deal. Pic related

>Vf series Maloo r8.
This is ok. There are worse ones out their.
At least it doesn't look like the floating-iPad Mercedes puts in their new models

that's seriously nice, keep it safe pls

It's a good setup imo. The climate controls aren't shown there but its underneath that section

>window controls on the center console

what the actual fuck

How they should look.

Generally speaking, modern infotainment systems are wired into the ECU and other integral systems, even if you have buttons and knobs for climate. Dehumanize yourself and face to whatever, I guess.

Shall do. Thanks

>people who hate the direction that modern technology has taken are racist

Fucking shit.
How do you know what the temperature is set at?
(Spoiler: You have to look at the display)

A physical dial or slider with a stop at either extreme is vastly superior.

What's wrong with that? Less stuff on the doors, easier to take them off

This, my 2016 Passat has a nice balance of buttons and screen.

>gets covered with road dirt/mud?
You clean it? I've had one for a year already and I haven't had to worry about it. The only time you can't use it is if it's raining like fucking crazy because the lens gets covered in water.

I like how the sonic screen only does the stereo and I get physical stereo buttons on the wheel and climate knobs

What even is this sperg autism?

I got one of those for a rental once
Wtf were they thinking with the gauge cluster/dashboard setup?
Why is it so loud inside?
Why do they pipe in beehive sounds?

Cause these appeal to people since it's "new" and "innovating". The reliability is a non-issue seen as how the car is not supposed to last beyond 200 000km or 10 years anyway.

Hence stupid sales pitches like "lifetime gear oil!" "no timing chain change needed!"

Seems quiet to me. But then again all my previous cars were shitboxes.
Also wtf
There is no pipes sound only angry 4 banger noise

You're like those retards who supported the "future" cars of the 80s.

>sales pitches like "lifetime gear oil!" "no timing chain change needed!"
hello audi

The loudness is probably because of tires or some shit. Most car manufacturers put a hefty amount of time into making sure it's not too noise inside the cabin.

I just hate how it murders your battery life; batteries have improved tremendously over the years, yet you get worse performance because of shit like this

Those are not actual analog dials with set start and end points though, they can spin forever in either direction, meaning spinning one of those dials without looking down at the display is equivalent to swiping up or down on the touch slider.

because it's a marketing/selling point for all the simple-minded normies and . why do normies like this shit so much? because that's human nature in all of us is to like "fancy" and new things because it makes us feel more accomplished and also puts us "higher" in the social chain

Off yourself.

I literally have this radio

Hmm, I wonder why having intricate electrical circuitry with lots of delicate components in a vehicle that gets used every day, is subject to all manner of vibrations and impacts, and is exposed to the elements and a variety of temperatures might be a bad idea.

I get the mentality that people who grew up not knowing a world without social media and touch screens have about this, but even if we do live in the information era, there are some things that just don't need to be imbued with the ability to update your status, like, and subscribe. It may be the current year, but your plates still don't have touch screens and facebook embedded in them and your shoes don't have GPS.

>I'm 18 and think this shit is stupid
I'm sorry son, but when you borrow my car, I'm going to turn Teen Driver Mode on with my password. It will give me a report card on your driving and even map your path on a map. But if your friends pressure you to speed or drift, you now have an excuse not to. Just tell them your father is watching! I also set the maximum speed limit to 60 MPH since that is the fastest highway speed.

Seriously, that was the first thing I noticed.

>what the actual fuck
Because the spouse is presumed to be the other person in the car. So it makes sense that both members have equal access to the window controls and the window lockout button.

If you're ever in Canberra, let me know.
t. SS-user

i like mazdas solution having both a screen AND tactile controls near the shifter

unfortunately enough the screen itself look like a fucking ipad glued onto the dash (but personally i like it)

I was just there over Christmas. Might be moving there next year. If I do we should cruise

Tesla: fuck you and your buttons.

Tesla: mega fuck you. No binnacle, no buttons on the steering wheel, Just a massive touchscreen that floating, copying the ugly implementations of many others. Use voice commands that anyone with an accent that isn't Northern Californian can't use.

Oh, and the steering wheel will disappear in a decade or two, because full self-driving. You don't wanna drive, right?

For all the bitching that people do about the WRX's interior, the Limited trims and lower trims with the Harmon-Kardon package are actually a pretty nice mix of touch interfaces and physical controls as well:

3 big as fuck clicky dials for temperature, fanspeed, and fan modes

6 big buttons inside each dia for your basic necessities like turning the climate control on/off, defrosters, AC on/off, etc.

A volume dial and then a bunch of touch stuff in the infotainment screen where you can select a bunch of random non-important shit that you can basically ignore.

google "technological slavery pdf"

removable doors
i love the fighterjet cockpit feel of the interior with screens and gauges everywhere

97 jetta gl ftw