If an engine is firing at 18,000rpm, does this mean each piston is going 18,000rpm...

If an engine is firing at 18,000rpm, does this mean each piston is going 18,000rpm, or is it divided by the amount of cylinders there are?

18,000 divided by v10 = 1,800 rpm for each cylinder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nX2L-kS7ZL8
youtube.com/watch?v=2lLXC2CSnQE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fhLasMogE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, each piston is completing one traversal up and down the the cylinder for every rotation (of the crankshaft) per minute. No division required.

Yes, that's how they keep the feet per minute down.
Any piston travelling over 4500 fpm is pushing it.

So at 18,000 rpm every cylinder fires 150 times per second? Isn't that an absolutely insane frequency? How is it even possible for a cylinder to complete an entire four stroke cycle in 6.7 milliseconds? And if you have a six cylinder engine it's one cylinder firing nearly every millisecond? This can't be right.

Nigga are you stupid? 18k RPM is the speed of the crankshaft turning.

That's how it works, although 18k rpm is a very very high number only really seen in crazy race car engines and some motorcycle engines.

Yeah I know, but the firing frequency would be the same for a 9,000 rpm V12. And a firing every two milliseconds like in a 4,500 rpm V12 or 6,750 rpm V8 would still be insanely high speed.

Hell, even my diesel fourbanger theoretically fires every ten milliseconds cruising at 3,000 rpm. That's quicker than the refresh rate of my computer monitor, and I consider my computer monitor fluid.

Then what are the pistons doing when in a V10 formation?

You are still trying to find some way to factor in the number of cylinders and the RPMs. There is no relationship between the two, just drop that thought from your head.

Let's take a straight-6 engine hitting redline at 7k RPMs.

The crankshaft is rotating 7000 times a minute, meaning each piston is also moving up and down (1 rotation), 7000 times per minute as well.

7000/minute = 7000/60 seconds = 116 rotations per second, half of which are exhaust strokes, so the cylinder is firing 58 times per second at redline.

So is every other cylinder, too, just at different times.

i fuck your mom at 18,000lpm (loads per minute)

But that's exactly what I was saying. One cylinder fires 58 times per second at 7,000 rpm. Six cylinders together fire 348 times per second at 7,000 rpm.

>18,000rpm
Jesus Christ, not even rotaries could go that high in a conventional car, dafuq do you drive as your daily?

>projecting about your own mother this way

The example was from the V10 3.0 F1 engine by Renault.

Video related: youtube.com/watch?v=nX2L-kS7ZL8

which is why it's not good to constantly redline your car :^)

Pic related

It takes two complete revolutions to fire every cylinder in a four stroke engine
RPM divided by 2 divided by number of cylinders = how many times a piston fires per minute

>conventional car

>divided by number of cylinders
Wait, what?

Yes it is extremely fast, but these engines are purposefully built to do it. Small number of cylinders, incredibly short stroke, lightweight rods and pistons and knife-edged crank shafts with special wind age trays. Sometimes they will even run multiple coil packs on one cylinder, and I think most of them use pneumatic valves now

>divided by number of cylinders
>equals how many times /an individual piston/ fires
Each piston only cycles once in a crank revolution

Fucking moving at whatever rate the math works out to for the crankshaft spinning at 18,000 rpm

But if every piston fires every two revolutions, then you don't have to divide by the number of cylinders.

If you wanted to calculate an individual cylinder you would, unless you wanted to count all of the detonations in 1 revolution? Am I missing something

Number of explosions a particular piston experiences in a four-stroke engine is RPM divided by two, because half the time there's a spark and the other half it's ejecting exhaust. So at 6k RPM any given piston is tanking 3k explosions per minute

Oh duh. Yep sorry I'm an idiot. Because they all fire anyway

You measure rpm at the crankshaft,

watching that video makes me feel things

No one has lost yet and neither has the White Race even begun to fully wake up yet -- that is on it's way. Leave your cucking for elsewhere, no one likes to see it. Boring as fuck.

It is something. It is what sparked my interest in what each piston achieves to maintain such power at high rates of combustion.

F1 engines have a tiny stroke, which keeps the piston speed down so it won't just fly apart.

>The white race makes less than 20% of total global population

Lol, its over

F A K E
N
E
W
S

>F-Fake!!!

It's over for the white race

I heard the pistons are thinner, but wider than normal pistons.

>i-it's over

Are you always this scared of White people? You're just another run of the mill faggot I see everyday who cannot see what is coming. Always remember where your enjoyment of cars comes from, Chang.

>I heard the pistons are thinner, but wider than normal pistons
Pretty much. Thin to keep weight down, and wide for a big bore size so there's still some displacement and area for valves.

>Scared of white people
Lol white males are all cuckolds

>Chang
Wrong

No, it's just rpm divided by two. Forget the number of cylinders.

A piston in a 4 stroke engine fires every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft, regardless of how many pistons there are or how they are arranged.
At 18000RPM every piston will fire 150 times per second.

18000 / 2 = 9000 Ignitons per minute
9000 / 60 = 150 Ignitions per second

On a 2 stroke engine the revolutions equal the ignitions per minute.

>Minorities move in

>White "genocide"

Nobody is systematically murdering us in the streets or preventing us from reproducing. Take some responsibility for yourself, it's not society's fault you will never procreate or accomplish anything in your life.

the shorter the stroke, the easier it is to get high reepms
(not 100% true, but a great rule of thumb)
go look at bike engines.

Not OP, but these go to 19,500rpm.

Rpm is measured off the camshafts dummy

you can tune em to go 20k+ with ease, right?
or is that just a myth?

>white people objectively more successful than any other race
>responsible for literally every piece of modern technology
>give said technology freely to lesser races who haven't quite mastered the fine art of farming or boiling drinking water or any form of electricity.
>white supremacists BTFO by other whites, not nogs
>inferior races use freely given white technology to breed like rodents

"w-w-w-hite people BTFO l-lol!"

the last time whites got mad at a lesser, nonwhite race, we invented the field of nuclear science because conventional explosives just couldn't express our disgust efficiently enough. Don't get cocky.

Conventional valve springs aren't reliable past about 15k for engines that size, F1 hasn't used them in decades.

More of a myth, they're already at about the max RPM you can run them at reliably from the factory.

Kawasaki's ZXR250 was especially known for munching its valves at 21k rpm.

kay, thanks for clarification

youtube.com/watch?v=2lLXC2CSnQE
they sound godly though

ok higher the rev the more fun it is?

ehhhhh it all varies.
more revs make more power with the same torque if that torque peak is moved to a higher rpm.
each engine has its use, and high rev engines can be easily lugged. (not as in a good thing, but as in its easy to do)
high rev engines are usually preferred for racing applications though (even nascar has a 8.5k-9k rpm if im not mistaken)

Not really, lots of revs is just as fun as lots of torks in the right situation.

It's an apples and oranges scenario desu.

Yes, 12k rpm is the sweet spot
m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fhLasMogE

>my dad's face when I explained these crazy bikes to him

honestly, the only Honda that is as wild is the Valkyrie Rune. its a crusier with a Goldwing engine in it.

>>white people objectively more successful than any other race
>>responsible for literally every piece of modern technology
tfw retards literally actually believe this. literally lmaoing @ u tbqh

pussy

Moto GP uses pneumatic valves. I assume thats what F1 uses?

>So at 18,000 rpm every cylinder fires 150 times per second?
That is different for different types of engines:
4-Stroke: 150/second
2-Stroke: 300/second
Rotary: 300/second
original Wankel engine: 900/second
turbine: continuus combustion

ICA karts from early 2000's and 1990's were doing 25,000 rpm

R/C nitro engines are 40,000+

Oh you're one of the WE WUZ KANGZ N SHIT AND WHITE PEOPLE STOLE IT

No, white people invented it, it's why Africa is still full of mud huts and savages

There are other races than white and black, the Japanese for example arenĀ“t dumb either, while Aboos are even below regular niggers...

>white people objectively more successful than any other race
yet the jews control their governments, their banks, their economies, their media and so on
>responsible for literally every piece of modern technology
the majority of nobel prize winners are jewish
>give said technology freely to lesser races who haven't quite mastered the fine art of farming or boiling drinking water or any form of electricity.
yes, whites are cucking themselves, how is that in your favour?
>white supremacists BTFO by other whites, not nogs
>whites
>supreme
lol
>inferior races use freely given white technology to breed like rodents
because whites are cuckolds, we already approached this topic

>the last time whites got mad at a lesser, nonwhite race, we invented the field of nuclear science
wrong, Einstein was jewish

Stay cuckolded cumskin

>we

Yeah, your contribution to the next generation of weapon system will be shitposting on Veeky Forums's automotive board, huh?

A genocide doesn't mean machete killing, you dumb fucking animal. It can constitute any means in which a certain demographic is REMOVED or pushed out of a habitat. How about you apply yourself before telling others to do the same, you fucking faggot?

>White population being outbred and positions of power lost
>it's okay guys just get a job XD

>Chang still shitposting in absolute fear
>c-cumskin

geg

RPM refers to the crankshaft. It doesn't matter what the pistons are doing.

>Japs were abbo-tier slant eyed savages
>barely able to make steel
>shitty bamboo armor and spears
>agrarian society, 0 industry
>admittedly pretty good at music and painting
>dickrode the British Empire hard and copied everything they could
>United States cock slapped nips and head slammed them like casey that fat kid
>after bombing their islands flat the US stuck around and rebuilt them as a western-style industrial nation
>nips still obsessed with the West, copied American industrial practices and office life and used their autistic asian monomania to take it to high level

Without whites, nips would be bamboo-clad savages even today. Stay mad

Prez/o/ put your trip back on you dumb fuck

>jews aren't white
>European jews have white/pink/pale skin
>live in white nations
>participate in white civilization
>speak white languages
>intermarry with other white ethnicities
>part of the judeo-christian intellectual heritage

j-jews! wh-whitey BTFO!

You Mongolians are all fucking retarded.