I don't think Mazda gives a shit about the rotary

I don't think Mazda gives a shit about the rotary.

roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a9120/a-farewell-to-mazdas-road-racing-rotaries-38734/

>"yeah were working on it, sorta, its in the corner over there, don't mind the dust."

I'm mad. I love the rotary, reliability and fuel economy be damned. If I wanted both those things I'd be driving a Civic.

Other urls found in this thread:

imsa.com/team/mazda-motorsports-no-55
motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/april/norton-rotron-200-bhp-race-bike/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_Prototype
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is that a Mazda LMP1 car?
If so, then I might want to watch Le Mans again

it's a DPi (LMP2 equivalent)

I've never heard of this.
Do tell more

It catches on fire and fails a lot, like a lot of the previous modern LMP Mazdas.

at least it doesn't have time to rust then

Mazda is racing it in IMSA

imsa.com/team/mazda-motorsports-no-55

This needs a rotary, it's bullshit.

I recently learned Norton has developed apex seals that don't require oil and can live off the lubricating properties of gas alone...

motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/april/norton-rotron-200-bhp-race-bike/

If they're not going to make a rotard, at least make a larger sports car with the 2.5T and roughly 300hp

Interesting. That's a lot of power from small rotors. The rotary is still a viable engine for motorsport, but not for mass use. Always thought it would do well being mated to an electric motor.

Rotard owner here

The rotary is not coming back, at least not from Mazda. Stop hoping for it, it's not coming back and thats simply because its a fragile, annoying piece of shit with absolutely pathetic fuel consumption (15-20 out of a 1.3l? wew, anyone who claims any higher is a liar). You can't even put the damn thing on an engine stand without rigging something up or getting an adapter if that tells you anything about working on it. Also there's not one moment you have while thinking about your car where the thought of it blowing a seal comes up, seriously. I just swapped a rebuilt engine in there and I already have a plan ready for when it eventually goes again.

They're incredibly fun to drive, but the engine is possibly the most annoying engine ever made.

it's a bizzaro-burger-lemans series where GM win all the time

I wonder if they would consider selling apex seals for other motors made with their methods, or the material they're using to coat them

that article is from 2012...

i know, but have you seen any effort from mazda in regards to using the rotary for racing?

i hope so, but i'm surprised mazda never figured this out. i mean it could be the result of recent metallurgy but still, they've been at it a long time

Reminder that the 787B was a mediocre performer, and won LeMans through reliability and luck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_Prototype

They're as fast as LMP2's but the automakers have a lot more freedom with the bodywork and are asked to style them after their production car offerings.

>five year old article
Lol okay

They still fully support star mazda
Rotary racing isn't going anywhere

>different engines require different engine stands
OH REALLY THAT'S LIKE OMG SO STRANGE AND TOTALLY MEANS THE ENGINE IS POOP

Stop posting any time

As if reliability and luck are never major factors in endurance racing

Stars mazda isn't a thing anymore?

links? vids? it would make my day...

read what i said, brah
>I love the rotary, reliability and fuel economy be damned.

I think the motor is really neat and sounds great. Plus a character like a 2 stroke bike? Fuck yeah, I sacrificed similar things with all the RDs and RZs I've had. No different. I'm not going to daily the thing, just enjoy it for what it is.

Again, if someone expects good gas mileage and reliability, perhaps they should look for something that fits the bill. For me? Fuck that, I love it for what it is.

Pic of my POS...POS but I love it. Makes me angry Mazda doesn't pursue what made them great.

>won an endurance race through reliability
wow what a fucking fluke

>I recently learned Norton has developed apex seals that don't require oil and can live off the lubricating properties of gas alone...
It's too bad they're only making 100 bikes. I can only imagine the swap possibilities with a 3 or 4 rotor version of that motor.

>article posted Sep 24, 2012

Nothing like 5 year old news.

You forget that the 787B was running almost 400lbs lighter than anybody else.

>They still fully support star mazda
...For now.

2017 is the last year the Pro Mazda series will be using doritos. 2018 will be bringing a new chassis with a new MZR-based 2.0L.