Are motorized bicycles considered Veeky Forums, /n/, or Veeky Forums...

Are motorized bicycles considered Veeky Forums, /n/, or Veeky Forums? they seem like they'd be a bit of fun tinkering for one who can't afford an actual baiku

Other urls found in this thread:

herald-review.com/news/local/motorized-bicycles-sometimes-cross-moped-line-police-say/article_2504c8b0-2956-599a-b44c-4fc4fef2a6a6.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can probably buy a beat to shit motorcycle for what you would pay out for that.

Regardless they're gay. And cyclists are horrible people.

most have absolutely horrid chinese engines. That said I have seen people put a well tuned pipe on them and make some power, but putting any sort of power to the ground with bicycle tires seems sketch.

If you're in Aus they're classified as a motorbike so its Veeky Forums

They are considered /lgbt/

Lets Go Biking Tomorrow?

Checks out

Motorized bikes are dumb

I think they're neat, but I like to tinker with stuff. This is a project that I don't work on anymore, I'd like to finish it and make another one for my sweetie, we think it'd be cool to put around all day. So far both the bikes and the engines were free, I'll probably have to buy a roller for the shaft/wheel connection but other then that I can make the mounts and rebuild the weedeater engines. Whenever I finish one of my bigger projects maybe I'll get back to this one.

Couldn't agree more.

Let's give something with zero suspension, towering center of gravity and piss-poor braking the ability to go even faster under power but made worse in every aspect for the traditional use.

>baiku
consider necking yourself

there are motorized full susp bikes and going fast on a bike is not an issue

You just described the SW20 MR2 tuner scene in a nutshell

>completely missing the point of a motorised bike

It's a neat little way of getting around town and up hills when you're too tired to pedal, not a performance riding experience.

>buy shitty bike
>buy lawnmower
>bolt engine to bike

Ok its nowhere near that simple, and chances are it will kill you, but nearly have mine working. Fuck knows if it will even move, or if its legal but should be fun if it does move. Live out in the country anyway so no chance of getting stopped by the police if it does work

the engines cost like $400 and you can put them on most bikes.

i love it, flat out i got one at 45km/h and it was the best way to roll when you're 15 and without a license

I like the idea of bicycle conversions, ultralight ultracheap transportation. Its unfortunate its illegal in most places

mopeds are cool, motorized bikes are meh

Are the $90-$150 kits on eBay just time bombs then? The idea of a $150 engine and a $100 Craigslist cruiser seemed like a pretty cozy nighttime ride around town, but not if it blows up in such close proximity to my junk.
Miraculously IL doesn't have too much regulation on the matter, plus I figure keeping the engine off until out of residential areas will help avoid unwanted attention

>cozy
most bikes dont have suspension and the seats are so unergonomic for your ass that it sucks to be seated after a wile. They're also loud as hell, the sound drills itself into your head.
>150 buck ones are bombs?
yes and no. Chinese have varying degrees of quality control. Sometimes you get a good engine with no problems and other times they''re absolute lemons. It doesn't really matter because they're all the same anyway. 300 bucks will get you one with a pull start and a electric starter motor which is amazing since the ones for half the price are bump start only which means they're a cunt to start if its acting up. $400 ones will get you a 4 stroke with a pull start which is pretty good because the 2 stroke bikes have zero torque

They're cool weekend projects though, teaches you the absolute beginners way of how motorbikes work.

My seat's never been the most comfortable to begin with, I've grown rather accustomed to standing on the pedals whenever I see an incoming bump or crack in the road. The sound is a bit more of a concern, I already have a hard enough time hearing my tunes from the phone speaker even with the phone right on the handlebars. Pull start mechanisms can also be added later to an engine, right? A 4 stroke would be neat to have, maybe if I end up going for it and enjoy the cheapo engine that would be a good upgrade

>want to listen to music
>on a motorised push bike
good fucking luck
>pull start can be added later
no, because a pull start mechanism is clutch operated that needs to be attached to the crank case inline with the main shaft. Its an involved process thats not worth the effort of just buying an engine with the mechanism already
>4 stroke v 2 stroke
arguably you can go faster on flat ground depending on how skinny you are but the 4 stroke might pull better. Just get the 2 stroke and see how you go with it

Do you think the 4-stroke could eventually be used to overcome the aerodynamic drag of sticking a boombox on a rear shelf? I gotta have my tunes man

>What are headphones

you mean, aside from for plebs?

this
have to check your local laws m8.

This article is 6 years old so things may very well have changed, but Illinois seems unexpectedly cool about motor bicycles. I can't imagine they'd dyno a bicycle to write a ticket, and maybe one could argue that they weigh less than 170 lbs so their bike is limited to a higher speed

>The police, quoting Illinois law, said a "low-speed gas bicycle" has fully operable pedals and a gasoline motor of less than 1 horsepower. Its top speed must be limited to 20 mph while carrying a person who weighs 170 pounds. If that is an accurate description of your motorized bicycle, you can ride it - on the road only - without a license, insurance and registration as long as you are 16 or older.
>herald-review.com/news/local/motorized-bicycles-sometimes-cross-moped-line-police-say/article_2504c8b0-2956-599a-b44c-4fc4fef2a6a6.html

all you have to remember is at the end of the day its still a sub 80 cc two stroke engine with Chinese quality control on top of that.

Just remember though while it may work, when it inevitably doesn't you'll have some extra resistance pedaling the thing because of the drive chain.

Easy to fix though I used to have a few of these when i was a teenager.

>1HP

They go by the displacement of the engine, they dont actually dyno bikes.. A 1hp engine is like 25cc.

Although, actually reading the article it seems some poor fucker tried to make those arguments and still got fucked over. Hopefully that's a singular case and not representative of all IL bolis

lol no you can't

>$170 for a Canadian Tire road bike
>$200 for a chink engine
Makes for a neat weekend project and a fun way to get around

No you dipshit it's Let's Go Biking Today

Why would you go tomorrow?

What if it's raining today though?

Stop being a pussy

Could you do that with a chainsaw engine?

I'd fucking run over shithead who would put chainsaw ear raping engine on bicycle.

Id put a fartcan on it.

Get a kit from Thats Dax and it will be good, don't get an ebay kit.

To answer the question, they should fit in /diy/ perfectly.
There are all sorts of kits for building them but nothing beats building one yourself from a broken lawnmower and bits you can pull off shit at the junkyard for $5.
Front suspension and good tires make a massive difference on these things.

Gas? They are electric now with battery packs - obviously on the go rechargeable, assist up hill. Pure luxury. I'd get one as an alternative to taking the bus if I lived in a city.

I got a 1971 honda cb100 for $200 on kijiji and got it running and driving for another $250, and thats an actual motorcycle, you just need to be constantly checking online everyday for deals like that, i saw the ad 15 minutes after being posted and the guy had multiple offers by the time I got there

I have one, in my country it's still considered "bicycle" - and so, i can legally move on bicycle lanes while moving faster than cars on the street. Shit's amazing, and burns ~2-3l of fuel per week while running 15km everyday - although it requires a lot of love to make it work properly.

>$400
i have no idea what kind of engines have you seen, but normal chink ones are around $100.

So 80-120mpg, not bad for a 2 stroke

>Veeky Forums
>the literally anything board

YES