There are people in this world that consider roundabouts hard

>there are people in this world that consider roundabouts hard

what the fuck

What? Three lane roundabouts with a lot of traffic can be stressful.
Nobody thinks that single lane roundabouts are hard

only americans can't into roundabouts

but im from bongland home of the roundabout and we have several in my town with fucking trafficlights.

Single lane roundabouts are fine. You literally can't fuck it up as long as you obey the yield signs at the entrances and don't do something pants-on-head retarded like pull a u-turn. I've driven through a 2 lane one once, and that was a bit hairy because I wasn't sure what rules to follow when choosing which lane to be in. A 3 lane one might give me a heart attack.

you bongs took a simple circle and turned the autism up to 11

two lane is easy, idunno about rules there but here it is
>outside lane if you want to exit soon, inside if you want to exit later
>if two lanes go out you can exit from either lane with blinker
>after two lane out it usually turns into one lane out in which case you merge to right for next exit
>watch the sign on exit after yours to know what to do
not hard desu, usually when you enter there's a guide.

Thanks for the clear explanation, user.

Two lanes are ez with

what in the fuck is this shit...the burger in me doesn't comprehend.

In my city the three-lane roundabout is designed that each lane "throws you out". Right-most lane takes you out directly, middle lane takes you to the second exit and left-most takes you to the third one. If you want to make a 180 you only have to change lane once.

If you yield to the drivers inside the roundabout (as you should), there is practically no chance of a collision.

Spoken like someone who's never had to navigate one that varies between 3, 4, and 5 lanes depending on where you are around it. Possibly with traffic lights.

Makes perfect sense!

This

But fucking retards screw this shit up all the time. I have a roundabout near me with two lanes, and there is a two lane exit. Invariably the guy on the inside lane wants to exit, but a retard on the outside lane wants to remain in the roundabout and they collide.

At least once a month this shit happens. Goddamned fucking idiots.

The biggest problem I've noticed isn't that roundabouts are hard, it's that every "engineer" in America wants to put their own personal spin on it and turn a simply perpetual right turn into a fucking nightmare.

For example: Why does a town with a

Almost... satisfying
Add multi-layers and no yeild signs and it would be better

This is elegant
This is fucking retarded shit

What is this candyland looking shit

As a bong, magic roundabouts (including the 6-way one in Hemel) looks just fine, the lanes are well marked out and shit. The thought of having to navigate pic related scares me though.

You'd prefer the 'do what I say or be fined' traffic lights everywhere that cause accidents, congestion, and pollution?

>build roundabout
>put stop lights on it

WHY?

>this kills the soul
Fucken hell man. They do this all over the place in Berkeley, CA and it just kills me. Coming from Australia where they actually have real roundabouts, I simply cannot understand the logic behind paying probably like over $100,000 making a roundabout, and then putting stop signs at all the entrances.

This guy is right. Well designed complex roundabouts like are wonderful engineering. They maximize throughout with minimum interruption and are very easy to navigate.

Shit like are fucking horrible. It's a bandaid solution to the mistake of accidentally terminating six roads of varying throughput at one intersection. It relies entirely the idea of emergent dynamics and is not efficient at all. I don't doubt that people who are familiar can navigate them without any issues, but the design makes it so that you end up having to stop to yield up to FOUR TIMES JUST TO GET THROUGH THE INTERSECTION. see pic related for instructions. I hate to think how long some cars have spent getting through that at 8 in the morning.

You shouldn't have to stop more than 3 times unless you're retarded. The red line in your diagram with 4 stops is a sub-optimal path.

Yeah I was just following the lines made by the person who drew it. However the pink line does show a valid path in which you may have to stop four times.

All that is beside the point however. In most intersections, you have to stop either once, or not at all. All paths in this, even just a hard left turn, involve the potential for having to stop at least twice.

>However the pink line does show a valid path in which you may have to stop four times.
No, here is the optimal pink route with 3 stops
Both blue routes have 3 stops but mine is clearly simpler.

What the fuck is wrong with you Americans and Brits?

This is a roundabout, there's literally no need for it to be any more complicated than this. And if your city has roundabouts, then whoever designed the layout the CBD is fucking retarded.

You don't have to stop at all as you enter a roundabout. That's amongst the most important advantages of them.

I should add that in this example there is a tram line in the same godddamn roundabout, where tram drivers give way to car traffic and it functions fine.

Best aerial IRL picture I could find.

A single roundabout was added to my town recently to replace a clusterfuck 3 way intersection.

Day 1 some dumb boomer goes around backwards, several times, and cant figure out how to exit.

A week later i see two old retarded women standing next to it and bitching about how confusing and ugly and how much space i takes up. Literally yelling at the pavement.

That's some beautiful engineering.

the only hard thing about them is resisting temptation to drift

What if four cars coming from four different directions arrive at a four way roundabout at the same time, and all of them want to go straight?

this makes me want to never drive outside the us

If the island is big enough to have four cars on at once they could all go around simultaneously. If not then you got yourself a Canadian stand-off.

This is where I did a bunch of my lessons when I was learning and drive through a couple times a week. You need to be in the mindset that everyone else is in the wrong lane and be patient. Or as my instructor said "You need eyes up your arse round here."
Red lines = traffic lights.

It's not that they're hard, it's that they're the driving equivalent of those old newspaper vending boxes with one big door. They put unjustifiably too much trust in the public.

>calling rotaries roundabouts
lmao

I work in a city with a roundabout every 100 meters and even I wonder what the fuck is this shit.

>it's a roundabout
>but instead of a flat expanse in the middle it's a fuckhuge green area/statue that you can't see around

"it's traffic calming"
no, you assume people THINK about the risks they take when driving. it's fucking deadly.

This shit pisses me off. I should be able to see traffic coming from every direction so I can yield accordingly.

This is awesome.

I live near the stupidest roundabout in my country
>too small for a 2 lane
>stupid 5th entrance for 3 cars that enter/day
>no side ramp to get from bottom to right
>also, no physical barrier where the solid red line is so people crash at asterisk because idiots don't enter the inner lane from bottom entrance
At least they now organize educational events in the town hall to explain elderly how to navigate through that mess.

I'm on the other camp. If the 'average' motorist was suddenly allowed to see the entire workings of said roundabout, they'd be overcome with sensory input - bless their small brains - and take fucking forever to do their maneuver. I see it happen on a regular basis - roundabouts in my neck of the woods don't have the budget/time for 1000 year old oak trees in the middle or Lord Cumguzzler II Erections.
They should only be able to see the area(s) pertinent.

Having said that, there are _so_fucking_many roundabouts in residential areas with massive, no, HUGE shrubs and shit blocking every fucking thing so you can't see shit, practically sitting over the road markings trying to get more than 10m visibility.

>its a roundabout where you have to turn hard left then hard right then hard left again in order to go straight ahead
seriously fuck this gay shit

Passed out before I realised I forgot the picture.

>he bought a car that can't turn

The worst one I've come across is on a motorway junction island.
They've set up fences to block you from being able to see around the island until you've got a couple of car lengths until the white lines so you have to slow right down rather than just looking and going if it's clear.
You end up holding up any lorries behind you because they're high enough to see over the fences and the last thing they want to do is stop.

they are hard to drift around sometimes

>Complaining about a circle

I have to go through 4 roundabouts with the same layout
tho the first one is a straight line in the most right lane and you dont even have to stop if you manage to get in it

>emergent dynamics and is not efficient at all
> yield
> intersection
Fuck off, amerietard. Nobody cares about your opinion on a perfectly good junction that handles high volumes of traffic.

>I was just following the lines made by the person who drew it
Which was a demonstration of possible paths for some other ameritard that couldn't figure out 'give way to the right'.

If you want a badly designed roundabout, try this one. Whenever the traffic lights fail, there are literally accidents 3-4 times a day until they cone off the central paths. And the lights fail often, because the underground cables are below the water table. Also, the whole thing floods every few years, up to a meter deep.

> Trams
Literally the worst of both worlds between buses and trains.
All the route freedom of trains, all the inconvenience of buses, combined with the issue of running rails through urban areas.
They had to strip them out of 90% of the UK, because they killed people. When the concept of compensation came about, trams became non-viable overnight due to the accidents.

Good. The USA is containment. Extend trump's wall around the entire border, and put the barbed wire on the inside.

>Canadian stand-off.
I have a rule for that. If it's nobody's right of way, it's mine.

>They put unjustifiably too much trust in the public.
And yet, you let people carry guns.

But you only need to look in one direction to know whether or not to yield when entering the roundabout. That's another of their key advantages.

hoooooooooooly shit you must be desperate for (you)s

here you go bud
(you)

How about not-baby mode?

Okay now try doing a 3 lane roundabout with nothing but muslims and pajeets.

Checkmate, bongs.

Wankel roundabout when

>2017
>roundabouts
>not having traffic peanuts

>cars only enter and exit on the outside
>there are cars on the inside
why?

what if you want to see the arch?
you have to cross 10 lanes of non-stop traffic?

>what if you want to see the arch?
>you have to cross 10 lanes of non-stop traffic?
Yes. That, or take a taxi.
Note how there are no pedestrians on the inside, and lots on the outside.

>the issue of running rails through urban areas
Except that even if you only run a tram across them every five minutes they'll still transport more people than an additional car lane, and preferential over motor traffic making them quicker and more reliable. I know we all like cars around here, but when will you knob heads finally realize that they're an absolutely crappy transport solution for urban areas?

No, there's a pedestrian tunnel if I recall correctly, but it's been like 15 years since I've been there. The reason there are few pedestrians in the middle is because the only reason to go there is to look at the arc, and only tourists do.

They seem to have developed a hard-on for roundabouts here in MN. A lot of them have gone in over the last 5 years or so. There are still a lot of folks who just don't get them. I've twice seen folks turn to the left, and so many folks who stop in the roundabout to let traffic from the feeders in. I'm sure it will be a lot better in another 5 years when more people are familiar with them.

And yet, trams kill people and take up space on the street. Best solution is subways, so you can actually get deliveries to stores.