Only 'ur Lord can Save us

>Only 'ur Lord can Save us
Martin 'country parson' Heidegger
>The Greeks were Gay
Michel "crypto-normativist" Focault
>Nietzsche was a feminist, no really
Jacques ">>>clarity" Derrida
>Gulags? Which Gulags!?!?
Jean-Paul "pull oneself up into existence by the hair, out of the swamps of nothingness" Sartre
>The second of Nietzsche's errors is the completely false way in which he assesses the relation between morality and life, treating them as if they were opposites
Thomas "Fuck the French" Mann

Why was there no orthodox (or even intellectually honest) successor to Nietzsche during the 20th century? Why did we have to wait 100 years for the appearance of Alex Kierkegaard? Was the period too tumultuous? Do you require the benefits of hindsight and privilege in order to affirm a passing era?

Also, how likely do you think A. Kierkegaard's thoughts on the 20th century are what Nietzsche himself would have summarised? Where do they disagree?

Other urls found in this thread:

lolcow.wiki/wiki/Icycalm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there's no successor to nietzsche because nietzsche stands in a class of his own opposing the last 2,000 years of western thought

lolcow.wiki/wiki/Icycalm

what is this meme

Successor to Nietzsche in what? Talking to horses?

in his prodigal achievements within thought and expression.

If Icy is Nietzsche then who is REI?

Hegel?

Crowley

Have any of you actually read Icycalm? The rest of Icycalm's philosophy is okay but his aesthetics is pure shit compared to Nietzsche. He spent his career on videogames and hollywood instead of classics.

So, talking to horses. Because it's that or his edgy fedora teen-tier shitposting.

icycalms video game stuff is good though and I'm glad that it exists

His art criticism / philosophy of art is easily one of the most controversial things he has output, which is unfortunate because he is spot on about the whole thing.

His philosophy of art is inspired directly from Nietzsche. Video games aren't art; art is video games. Immersion and pleasure are what art is about, and humanity has had a destiny with video games (particularly the ultimate genre of video games, the RPG) since human history has began and we started sharing adventurous stories with one another. His taste in games is fucking amazing to boot, just a further indication of how spot on he is.

A large amount of people disagree / dislike his overall attitude towards art. They are more inclined to think that art is about knowledge, "meaning" and making people think about things a different way, but he refers to that as pseudointellectual and degenerate and rightfully so. That's what PHILOSOPHY is about. People mistake the two for one another, because they are depraved and degenerate.

Orgy of the Will is a fun read and Icycalm is the only person who has ever written insightful anything on videogames.

That said he's a greek Billy Corgan-looking motherfucker who is weird as hell.

Is that you Alex

>particularly the ultimate genre of video games, the RPG
10/10
lol

I would genuinely love to read his entire archive of work but I can't give him money since he's a self-admitted fraudster who will do god knows what with my credit card information.

I thought Alex hated RPGs besides Deus Ex.

I've bought books from his site before. Paypal is an option dude, the transaction happens off-site then if you're worried about that.

Didn't you read his chapter on RPGs? He doesn't hate the genre, he just thinks that the colossal majority of games claiming to be of that genre failed miserably at it. He even goes on to end that chapter in saying that the ultimate kind of game has yet to really appear, the "cinematic RPG" which he uses loosely as a term since its a bit of an oxymoron.

Because Nietzsche was unorthodox and intellectually dishonest. You reap what you sow.

Yes, he is spot on, but he fails to realise how undeveloped videogames are compared to their potential. They are still at the stage movies were when it was a slow shutter reel.

As I said, his aesthetics is shit, because despite how good taste (basically his instincts are healthy enough) he has, he has wasted it all on the most "timely" kind of arts our time knows, videogames and hollywood. He even seems to have missed the one golden-age of our times, popular music. At least that has passed and is worth passing a final judgement on. He has taste but not knowledge. Nietzsche had a historical base (from both excellent schooling and paying attention to art scenes) behind his taste, Icy doesn't.

Icycalm is more of a designer than a critic of videogames. He is telling them how to start making better games. Everything I've said applies to film too but at least that is nearer to its full potential.

no, Deus Ex is the only RPG

>it's an icycalm thread

icycalm lacks even a fragment of the virtue that Friedrich "touch that horse again and I'll fuckin' beat ya" Nietzsche displayed daily in life. icycalm is literally subhuman.

>icycalm lacks even a fragment of the virtue that Friedrich "touch that horse again and I'll fuckin' beat ya" Nietzsche displayed daily in life. icycalm is literally subhuman.
I have a terrible fear that one day I shall be considered "holy”. You will understand why I publish this book beforehand—it is to prevent people from wronging me. I refuse to be a saint; I would rather be a clown. Maybe I am a clown. I am nevertheless, or rather not nevertheless, the mouthpiece of truth; for nothing more false has ever existed than a saint.

>but he fails to realise how undeveloped videogames are compared to their potential
But he says right there in his RPG article how the genre is lacking and where it needs to go. He seems to acknowledge full well it is still evolving, while not dismissing all of the amazing games we already have. What's your idea of video games reaching their "true potential"?

Nietzsche himself would absolutely detest the idea of there being an "orthodox" successor to him.

Also his works are extremely open to interpretation. Anyone that claims to have a definitive understanding of their totality is a liar.

>But he says right there in his RPG article how the genre is lacking and where it needs to go. He seems to acknowledge full well it is still evolving, while not dismissing all of the amazing games we already have.
Yes but that is one genre within games, he doesnt call games in general in question, he glorifies them. Even if he didnt, he spends the majority of his writings on that topic.

It would be like a philosopher of the late 1800s talking about movies instead of Nietzsche and Dostoevsky.

>What's your idea of video games reaching their "true potential"?
Do you have any idea how difficult and expense they still are to produce? Or how the technological basis for them is still growing exponentially? Imagine if you asked me the same question in the 1980s. What a fool you would have looked like by 2016.

Actually, the man himself says:
>Under these circumstances [being appropriated by German nationalists and counter-enlightenment figures like in the OP] I have a duty against which my habits, even more the pride of my instincts, revolt at bottom – namely, to say: Hear me! For I am such and such a person. Above all, do not mistake me for someone else!

>What's your idea of video games reaching their "true potential"?

Tbh we have to get past the idea that games must be "fun". And it doesn't help that gamers are the whiniest fucking bitches about the amount of "content". I fucking hate that word. And the fact that gaming pundits, the so called advocates and intellectuals for video games, are absolutely obsessed with consumer policy, turning games from what could be art into gross products that must deliver an explicitly advertised amount of "content".

Depends what 'fun' means.
I'd say that something that holds me interest, while not instantly satisfactory, is 'fun' since I find the interest I'm gaining from it enjoyable (even if it may make me sad at times).
The idea that games can't do bold moves because it wouldn't be 'fun' is something that irks me though, so I agree with you there. Like how so many people complained about the hospital level in hotline miami, despite it being very important to understanding the entire game.

Rei is like hegel or heraclitus

>Imagine if you asked me the same question in the 1980s. What a fool you would have looked like by 2016.
But I never said they can't progress. I just asked you how YOU think they ought to progress.

>blah blah blah
You're talking too much about politics. How should video games themselves evolve?

>You're talking too much about politics. How should video games themselves evolve?
not him but the two logical endpoints, technologically, would be the matrix-game and the matrix-movie

both are hyperreal simulations with everything like touch, smell, physics indistinguishable(if desired) from real life, only one leaves you as you are and the other physically interferes with your memory, making you believe you are one of the characters, while removing all forms of interactivity, playing itself out the same every time. Only when you are done do you regain your sense of self, but with the memories of the experience left.

The latter is the more ultimate video game according to the level of immersion(total), but it would technically not be a video game as it's not interactive even though it would feel like it is when you experience it.

this is total sci-fi shit though

Kierkegaard was feels over reals. It doesn't matter what he said about Nietzsche

Daily reminder that anyone calling Nietzsche edgy has either never read Nietzsche and is quoting memes to sound superior or read Nietzsche and let it go completely over their head.

>dude who signed his letters with the antichrist
>not edgy

t. skullboi84

>Rei is like hegel or heraclitus
>or heraclitus
Absolutely not. Heraclitus is the biggest prophet of becoming over 'Being', aside from Nietzsche. Don't be fooled by his style, he probably seemed less obscure in context and without missing writings.

How so?

I just can tell that you're Alex Kierkegaard by your apparent butthurt, and because of your same incomprehension of Rei, and Heraclitus.

Go to bed Rei.

>Art is the appreciation of craft beyond the utilitarian

There you go. That's it. No wall of text needed. Because there are a lot of fucking ways to approach and consume art, none really that much more valid than the other.

I wish you guys would actually read Nietzsche and Icycalm before vomiting over videogames. It's just embarrassing when you share your intuitive thoughts that have been dismissed countless times already. As Icy says:
>These pop philosophers show not the slightest acknowledgement in their writings that a philosophical tradition even exists, and that the intractable problems with which they are so incompetently grappling have been discussed ad nauseam for millennia by all the geniuses. All these efforts, at the end of the day, are obviously inherently abortive, since contrary to what all these people seem to think, you can't defeat a beast by RUNNING AWAY FROM IT. There's only one solution: to GRAPPLE with the beast, which is to say, WITH THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY, which of course presupposes that you have at least some inkling of it! In short: Don't be a pseud. Don't abortive. Be a man. Be a genius. — Or at least try to be one, the first step of which attempt would be... to see how you measure up against past geniuses, by making at least some kind of an effort to read them.

alex, i've no problems you with posting positive comments about yourself obviously, but use a fucking name at least, if you're not a faggot.

Isn't he dead?

Heraclitus was known as obscure among the Greeks. You're full of shit familio

>among the Greeks
which ones?

Socrates and Diogenes I could find reference for, but he had the reputation. They saw his book as great, but very hard to tackle

Nietzsche covers their misinterpretation of Heraclitus. Can't remember which book.

On the Genealogy of "Art Games" is the best essay of the 21st century so far.

...and hegel wasn't?

Hegel may not have wanted to seem obscure (at least its a justification of his vocabulary) but his style is exceedingly technical and has the same alienating effect.