What would be your vehicle of choice for an SHTF situation...

What would be your vehicle of choice for an SHTF situation? Specifically an SHTF situation in which you'll be seeing combat. And would you go with a new vehicle or old vehicle? Would an EMP disable modern vehicles? I understand that some require electronics to function but what about, say, a current year Jeep Wranlger? Would an EMP make it inoperable?

>inb4 tank
I mean a vehicle that is reasonably easy to obtain legally in the United States

I can only think of 3 vehicles that would be awesome during an EMP and won't rely much on electronics

1. Toyota Tacoma, 90s preferably
Pretty much the most well known truck to anyone that watches middle east coverage on Fox news knows these trucks will last, and 90s have less electric shit to worry about

2. Dune buggy
Something that has the engine in the open and doesn't need electronics and light would be awesome. Easy to work on and can get you anywhere that isn't a mud hole or snow pile. You won't have heat or tunes but who cares, you're trying to survive

3. Motorcycle
This one pretty much explains itself: easy start, easy maintenance and light traversing. Just don't expect to haul a lot

A jeep wrangler might work, but those things cannot hold itself together

>shtf scenario
>not a diesel

Yeah an EMP would fuck a modern vehicle. Any gas laying around would go stale without additives and even then it goes to shit after a year. Something like a fully mechanical Detroit diesel on a heavy duty truck chassis would be ideal. It could run on biodiesel or transformer oil.

Bugging in is better than bugging out.

Generally, yes. But what if you need to travel to acquire supplies or link up with family/friends? Or what if your home area becomes dangerous to stay in?

lifted samurai with a few simple mods and a german diesel engine
vw tdi swaps are pretty common so i shouldn't have to worry about anything

>L A N D
>R O V E R
Just because shit hit the fan doesn't mean you have to abandon a life of luxury after all.

What are your thoughts on portal axles, and lifting in general? /k/ can't decide whether or not it's a good idea. Obviously the good is clearance and the bad is high cog = high rollover probability. But how far is reasonable to lift for SHTF vehicle?

bump

benz 190 2.5 turbo diesel 5 speed. mechanical fuel injection gives no fucks about emp. 5 speed so can be push started so don't have to worry about the starter getting screwed by emp.

Honestly if everything got screwed by an emp you would be best off with a horse or bicycle.

Starfish Prime blew the streetlights in Hawaii 898miles away. Pretty sure your Jeep will shit itself. At best, if your engine is not running at the time, the voltage regulator will shit itself.

Best SHTF vehicle is a bicycle with a puncture repair kit in your backpack.

Ford Ranger.

>Yeah an EMP would fuck a modern vehicle.
It absolutely would not, shit's been tested repeatedly by multiple people and I'm tired of this meme being spread. Not only does the sheer amount of insulation and grounding in a vehicle help protect itself, the entire metal body acts like one giant Faraday cage.

To add on, though, my ideal vehicle would be a bicycle because fuck scavenging for gasoline and auto parts and being a huge target for anyone else who wants a vehicle of their own.

If am EMP did affect a vehicle, such that it completely disabled all electronics, would the vehicle still function? Obviously some features wouldn't work but would I still be able to turn it on and drive it?

this
>reliable
>decent off road capability
>basically unchanged from 1998 to 2011 so massive parts availability and interchangeability

Horses are best offroaders, but sadly you can't fix them by changing components or welding

>would I still be able to turn it on and drive it
just disconnect the ECU and see for yourself, genius.

It will not run if its an electronic fuel injected vehicle. Vehicles with a carburetor or mechanical fuel injection (I think) can run without electrics

>gasoline
>in a SHTF scenario

And points ignition. So nothing less than 40 years old...

Unimog 1300 from the German army, cheap reliable emp proof no electronics everything mechanical. Easy to Maintain, and already camouflage.

im not a united statian, so these cars and parts for them are quite common

the military use these as well

Anything under 6 inches shouldn't change too much imo. It'll be more stressed than OEM, but not much else

Fpbp. I'd expand on this by saying I'd modify my suzuki samurai into the buggy and depending on where I'm going, I'd put a motor on my normal bicycle lel

Would like diesel vw engine for zuki though

>It'll be more stressed than OEM, but not much else
Why would you think that?