Having an automatic transmission, what should you do on a red light?

Having an automatic transmission, what should you do on a red light?
Keep it in gear or put in on Neutral?

In the short term, it really doesn't matter however you're wearing the gears down more by shifting more than you're supposed to.

There's no harm sitting in drive while stopped at a light.

I always put it in park and turn the car off

Saves gas that way because it's not running

Keep it in gear and hold the brake in. Putting it in neutral means there's nothing stopping you from flying into the intersection should someone rear-end you.

i sometimes like to pretend that my car is a manual by putting it into neutral and pulling the e brake at stoplights

First you should kill yourself for not getting a manual.
If you want to prevent wear then put it in neutral, it doesnt really matter.

you do wear the starter motor faster though.

I do have a manual, this is just out of curiosity

Put the car in [P] for passing gear, then turn the engine off to save the environment. Once the light turns green, turn the car on and floor it in the passing gear. Nobody will ever keep up with you, unless they are driving one of those new 86 cars.

you guys ever encounter those retarded cars that turn off when the car comes to a stop? i was behind one at the mcdonalds druve thru what a fucking retarded idea

>wear
>in a slush box
you wat m8?

all new cars are like that, from chevy malibus to porscge 911s and aston martins

my car is like that. i dont see how anyone likes manual transmission. i put it in drive and i swear i can only go like 30 mph max, and then it dies whenever i come to a stop. i cant stand driving it

>own a 2017 vehicle
>doesn't turn off when I stop
Feels good to drive dodge

Just keep it in drive, it does more harm to put it in neutral (though it's relatively insignificant) and it's pointless. Automatics are designed for you to keep it in drive at a stop light, etc.

On a manual it is beneficial to put it in neutral though

do you put the pedal all the way down?

The tranny pump only works in gear m8. If you pop it in park all the time no fluid is getting to the tranny cooler and your box will shit the bed much sooner

I keep it in D and pull my ebrake that way I can relax my foot.

I didn't ask for these feels user.

As far as I know its still an option. My 2016 does not shut off (nor does any year manual trans that I know of) and I remember it being an option for auto trans cars when I was at the dealer

I was only joking btw OP, I hoped my pic would elude to such.

No problem with shifting to neutral, but Park would be better in case you get rear-ended.

>looking at buying an Acura TLX
>hear people bitching about the new DCT being lurchy as fuck
>car shuts down at red lights

Didn't buy one.

>save gas
yeah no you use a lot of gas up on start up as well as excessive wear to your starter, fly wheel and cylinders.

manual fags are insecure

Is this real? lmao, a mate told me he saw some cop busting someone in an unmarked hyundai and i didn't believe it.

The same is true if you leave it in drive, retard.

>If you want to prevent wear then put it in neutral
It's literally the exact opposite, going between neutral and drive puts more wear on the valve bodies

>you use a lot of gas up on start up

not since carburated engines son

I do this too
I also put it in D from N without pressing the brakes so other drivers think I'm driving a manual (the brake lights don't go off)

it takes about 30 seconds of idling worth of gas to start a modern fuel injected engine

The only auto I ever drive is my kid brother's F350. I put it in N or P at stoplights because the fucking piece of trash likes to go into limp mode (holds 3rd gear) for no goddamn reason at all and that kills the motor when the brakes are on.

get a prius

I do this shit too in pic related.

I saw a cop nab somebody in a run-down Foxbody Mustang a while back, they're really getting crafty these days

Actual autism right here.

Bait?

I own that car, the DCT is fun but it does feel like you're getting rear ended sometimes. Only the V6 has stop start.

Neutral and put the handbrake on.

What are brakes hurrdurr

>save little bit of gasoline

keep it in gear because theres no reason to put it in neutral for any reason

don't some newer cars do this minus the park thing? Occasionally I will be driving next to someone and hear their engine start when they drive off from a green light

R.

So much wrong.

yeah, hybrids.