Future-Proof Careers

Which jobs are least likely to be outsourced or automated?

Which are most likely?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/MwxZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

This is actually an interesting question.

I work in financial services and there are certain parts that are staying and certain parts that are going. Algorithmic trading has been a big deal now for awhile. Robotic financial advisors are also starting to become a thing.

My instinct is to say sales. Computers are really good at performing repetitive tasks with very set rules. They're a lot less good with gray areas. Computers might be really good at identifying who is likely to buy things based on demographic information, but a human would always be better at making the pitch.

Will economics remain relevant?

With the advent of robotic advisors, is there still a chance of getting a job as a currency trader in the future?

Responding to both parts of your question:

1) My guess on this one would be yes. You want to be a part of the knowledge economy.

2) Robotic advisors was a reference to financial advisors. Theres a lot of regulation in that industry because of the new Depart of Labor fiduciary rule, and its become cheaper for companies to have small clients use a robo advisor than a real person.

This is different from currency trading, which is an industry in decline. Theres been a lot of headlines in recent months about the big banks cutting head counts and bonus pools at FICC desks. It's not like it used to be, for sure. It's a very regulated industry now.

95% of truckers will become unemployed within 20 years.

All assistant jobs will be gone as well.

Plumbing, electrical, HVAC...

truck driver, warehouse, cook

Real Estate seems pretty future-proof imo, and its about to boom again thanks to Donald

anything service-oriented, including sales

also anything repair-related.
>muh robots repairing other robots
who repairs the robots that repair the robots? who repairs the robots that repair the robots that repair the robots? there will always be a case where you need to get an overpaid human in to solve the issue

also, military
>muh drone strikes, muh UCAVs
i dont think you understand the point of the military, it's specifically designed to keep the economy trundling along and a lot of that is welfare queenery

Forester.

I work at a call center
We got outsourced to 3rd world countries
But it didn't work out and we're back (remember when you last called your bank and spoke to someone in the Philipines? How'd that go?)
Just because it can be outsourced, and it happens, doesn't mean its permanent. Keep that in mind

>95% of truckers will become unemployed within 20 years.

This is actually the opposite of what's really going to happen

the inevitable push of self driving vehicles into the mainstream will drastically increase the need of people to drive trucks?

We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I don't think we will ever see totally unmanned transport trucks on the roads. Airplanes and trains are already capable of being fully automated, but we still have operators/pilots who are paid fairly well.

Even if being a "trucker" mainly involves sitting in the cab just in case something goes wrong, those jobs will still exist. I don't think anyone should let the threat of automation discourage them from going into that line of work. I'd fucking love to be a long-haul trucker, but it doesn't pay well enough for my lifestyle.

A) The DOT isn't going to allow 80,000 pound loaded trucks, especially ones loaded with flammable or hazardous materials, to be self-driving

B) Most truck drivers do more than drive. Until trucks are self-driving, self-loading, self-unloading, and self-customer interacting, there will be truck drivers.

C) The ever increasing need for raw materials and finished products will drive increases in truck driver employment

Basically everyone who isn't a programmer or software engineer is fucked? They will just take over the financial jobs or lawyer jobs by programming and maintaining the responsible AI? Basically software engineers with the extra knowledge in the field they are working in(law, finance, accounting, marketing, SCM)
If we believe some predictions that will be true and everyone who didn't study CS is fucked

Least likely: tenured government employees.

Most likely: (You)

Jobs have been being eliminated due to automation for more than 200 years already. Read Marx. The jobs that still exist exist because it's cheaper to hire a human than a job than it is to build a robot to do it. We could have robots sew clothes, yet it's cheaper to build sweatshops in Bangladesh with people working on old sewing machines.

Just because the technology exists to replace a human, doesn't make it economically feasible.

We used to have people who worked as switch board operators. Those jobs don't exist anymore. A lot of it depends on the value of products that are being produced. The higher the value, the more automation will be expected. Like in heavy industry. It's a lot lower in light manufacturing or the service industries.

Anything medical
People will always get sick.

>Anything medical

You do realize that video consults are decreasing the demand of doctors, robotic surgery is making strides, and literal-fucking-vending machines are replacing pharmacies?

TO DISCUSS BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP CHAT HERE: discord.gg/MwxZ4

I don't think it's bait. People that work in medial genuinely think they are better than everyone else.

Everyone believes that the field they work in won't get automated. Finance guys say you can't automate it, accounting uys even say you can't automate their field, lawyers say you can't do it doctors say you can't do it.
Everyone tries to make everyone believe his field is somehow irreplacable but it's probbaly not true.
We should bow down to our CS overlords

But you can't automate lawyers and judges.
Some aspects can be automated but the whole can't.

Law services at every level (always a need for human police, lawyers, judges, etc.) will always be performed.

Tbqh a lawyer could probably also specialize in futuristic law concerns through patent law and such

>t. Suicidal code monkey

I'm not saying I'm sure it will. But it's possible.

Also it will reduce the # of lawyers(or other jobs) needed. Basically only management roles stay.
And isn't it possible that it will be software engineers who have knowledge about that field who will get employed and eventually move up the ranks of a management position?
I wonder more if everyone who doesn't study software engineering or something similar will have trouble getting those roles.
There was some study done that says that accoutning and finance jobs (entry ones) are at the highest risk of getting automated.

And for lawyers it means that paralegal jobs will go away for a big part and that fewer lawyers will be able to work on more cases.

Underrated post
(Ironically ticks I am not a robot)

Thank for the (You)

There will be no jobs in the future

truckers should be threatened by the expansion of heavy rail networks, not self-driving cars

Muh automation.
It's a meme.

Why would automation NOT take over?

> self driving vehicles in 20 years
This is what libtards actually believe. They can't even program video game divers to drive properly.
Do you know how many people over estimate the advances of tech on the future? How about every story our prediction shit the future ever.
If there are going b to be self driving cars it's not going to happen fit at least another 200 years

cashier and truck driver obviously.

Lots of people work here, so it has much potential
and its quite easy task

>Expansion of rail networks
O I am laffin

People underestimated how long it would take but they weren't wrong.
A lot of the things foreseen in the 50s-70s did come true. Like skype or any other video communication system being the norm as it was in some movies or even cell phones and computers as small as they are now where future talk that did come true.

Watch 2001 A Space Odyssee and a lot of things there have come true it's the small things i mentioned but it happened.
And it's only a matter of time until the rest becomes reality.

Self driving cars are surely not 200 years away not even 100 years not even 20 years they do infact already exist and are just being tested at the moment it's in the near future.
There are several test runs of self drivings vehicles being tested not from Amazon drones to self driving cars.

Cashiers are already being automated in many supermarkets

Face to face medical until robots develop the ability to directly realize if people are lying to them.

The comfy unionized factory jobs that have already been 95% automated

Like the one I work at

There will always be need for human supervision, at least for the foreseeable future

Everyone says S&T is going fully automated, but the sales guys and some traders will always be around. IB is locked -- computers could've handled in 20 years ago, but the profession requires a human touch and a great degree of subjective analysis. Other financial services, like consumer credit or risk analysis may be entirely overtaken in 10-15 years.

>truck driver

what are driverless cars

Unskilled laborers are in trouble, but we will still need electricians and millwrights to keep the machines working.

Anything creative. It's not that this isn't being automated, it'll be a while before it'll be good, cost effective, etc. and offer what people want from it and before it stops being an academic novelty. It paying anything above subsistence is a long shot but if you work hard and git gud it might at least support you.

Academia, most of health care, and hospitality/food should be safe for a while.

Carpenters to build houses and other structures, since wood ain't going anywhere for a while, and masons as well.

Firefighters will also exist for a while more, at least until robots overcome the problems they're always going to have in dealing with professions where they have to save lives.

tfw DOT material inspector

anything involving programming or mechanical maintenance.

random manual labor will also be around for centuries.

I am in commercial real estate development. My position as "Development Associate" would literally be impossible to be outsourced or replaced via technology. I am a jack-of-all trades that has to work with and manage engineers, architects, lawyers, etc...

Real estate finance, on the other hand, will start rapidly replacing lower level employees who repetitively process.

Creativity and abstract critical thinking are relatively immune to replacement.

Development, yes. Mortgages, investment sales, and leasing, no...

Prostitution.

I guess you haven't seen the sex robots they are developing in Japan, Senpai....I am being serious

we just replace all construction with pre-fab and maintenance with modular replacements.

Pick up a deed to land from a land vending machine, order your building from the factory. it's delivered by a truck with no driver and erected by robots on flatbeds.

your job is one of the least useful in current existence, you're the middleman nobody wants.

>you can't automate judges.

You do know that sentencing can be automated, right? I think (((they))) tried it but found that it discriminated against black because it took into account things that black get: arrests, convictions, violent crimes, school expulsion, suspension, grades, education level achieved, employment history, credit rating, etc.

>academia

Are you crazy? Academia is one of the fields that is going to get crushed in the next 20 years. One great professor on youtube can teach more people in one lesson than 1,000 mediocre professors teaching classes of 30 students for a lifetime can (while also paying those shitty professors artificially inflated government subsidized salaries).

So all you Veeky Forumsintines want to survive the coming automation apocalypse? Stop thinking about what kind of wagecuck you want to be and start thinking about becoming an owner. That is who is truly going to survive and thrive. Land, buildings, businesses, these are not going to lose value just because juanita cant make minimum wage flipping burgers anymore. Even owning a few acres way out in bumble-fuck, if automation is going to be as complete as you imagine, then you could probably lease some cheap ass farming bots to work your few acres and make enough food both for yourself and a surplus to sell.

You all are also ignoring that automation isn't eliminating jobs in factories anymore. Manufacturing employment has been rising with value output increases for the last 6 years. It was pretty much just the 2000's that saw massive drops due to automation, combined with a recession. Expect similar trends in most non-creative industries.

>these are not going to lose value just because juanita cant make minimum wage flipping burgers anymore
of course they are.

money is worthless if you're the only one that has it and you have nothing to spend it on.

more importantly, Juanita is going to eventually be most of the population and she's going to slit your throat.

Way to ignore the entire rest of the post.

Did excel and quickbooks eliminate accountants? No, there are more now that ever, its just that accounting has become more affordable.

Did automation eliminate factories workers? No, there are more factory workers world wide now than at any point in history.

Did digital (near free) distribution eliminate paid musicians? No, there are more sub-genres of music available for consumption than ever.

Shit, there are still fuck tons of people doing traditional blacksmithing and horse husbandry, its just now we dont have to die of starvation like north koreans in order to keep defunct and outdated ways of doing things in place.

This is already happening. They are building mid level high rises where they manufacture modular units outside and then just stack them on top of each other and wa la