Why is there a smaller gap between iron age (~3200 BC) and the roman period than between us and the romans when we are...

why is there a smaller gap between iron age (~3200 BC) and the roman period than between us and the romans when we are closer in time to the romans than the romans were to the iron age

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

im about to go to sleep and you know what im wondering...?

why arent there more ancient bones/remains? like, where did all the bones go? there were millions and millions of people before us, first human like apeish beings appeared 15 million years ago or so- actually screw that, why arent there also more dinosaur bones? there were millions and millions of dinosaurs and humans before us, yet when you check how many of them were discovered its less than 100..?!??? wtf

shouldnt we be able to find bones of our ancestors everywhere we go, but we dont? wheres the logic in this?

>what is decomposition

>Veeky Forums is becoming this stupid

retard

so lol
are you telling me
the earth has been getting bigger
growing layers like an onion?
like an ogre...

where did all the new layers come from?

i thought bones cant decompose just like that?

No, he's not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

All bones (save for teeth) decompose in about 75yrs if out in the open.

thats sad

Although many people believe that bones never break down, when you think about it logically, that would be impossible. After all the hundreds of millions of years of life on this planet (in which humans have only been around for a minute fraction), if bones never decayed, they would be everywhere!

less settlement/intensive land use/people in the between-iron-age-and-rome time?

>why is there a smaller gap between iron age (~3200 BC)

What the fuck are you on about?

Iron age begins around 1000 bc, and to be precise before 600 bc iron wasn't even that popular and bronze was still predominant.

Veeky Forums is stupid thread? I'll go.

I have actually no idea where topsoil comes from or how artifacts end up in the ground.

Its very slow and subtle. Dust starts accumulating on building angles, crevices and such.
When enough dust exists, it allows for little plants to sprout. The this plants, grow, throw leaves, flowers and seed everywhere. This organic remains dry and rot and become more dust. Thicker dust allows for bigger plants and the cycle goes on and on until the dust becomes actual earth, and so on and on until the soil above the ruins is enough for big trees if the climate allows for that.

things start falling in the ground i think?

lol

go up to a steep, forested slope sometime while it's raining fairly heavily to get a dramatic idea of how topsoil gets moved around.

By this logic the Earth would be littered with every skeleton from every animal that lived

Bones will and do decompose unless they happen to be interred somewhere that protects them from most natural forces

>What is subduction

>iron age (~3200 BC)
I hope you meant bronze age

I didn't know Veeky Forums is this retarded.

>everyone uses the same definitions of bronze age, iron age etc

>nothing breaks down

Veeky Forums p-p-please n-no

Something I know!
Human triggered erosion both during the Roman times and during the Medieval times was many times greater than before the roman age because of higher intensity agriculture and deforestisation. More erosion -> more accumulation -> more material -> bigger gaps.
Also that pic is not at all accurate of anything you find in real life. Very rarely will you find something with that heterogenity. Looks to be a fictional summary/montage for illustrative purposes of some sort. Most stuff looks more boring like pic related, notice the horizontal shortening.

fossils/remains of living beings in general are an anomaly in nature. Usually there's something around to eat/process that shit.

subduction only happens with oceanic plates, which is why no oceanic crust today is older than 200 million years. Within Russia, Canada, South america and inside the big continents in general, the crust is often over 2.5 Ga old.

I think it takes somewhere between 1 and 100 years depending on the organism.

also, stuff just being eroded from point A to point B 2000 years ago and then just laying there for two millenials is a very simplistic way of looking at things. Reerosion and resedimentation can result in annoyingly complex patterns, see pic related. Finding out solid ages for material is difficult because all methodologies have all kind of flaws.

I love how I'm the only one Who pointed out how 3200 BC isn't even close to the iron age, and to be even more precise 3200 BC isn't even actual bronze age yet, it's more like late copper age

doesn't it vary so drastically in space that pinpointing it to anything more detailed than half-millenia is basically pointless?
Also
>not using ka BP

Thanks for this.

I have no idea how to read these pictures nor what do they mean.

>humanities major

I don't understand. From where all of this dirt comes from?

Yes but I'm Not talking about half a millenia, I'm talking about 2 millenia plus some centuries

Legitimate question: How does this shit get buried so deep? You would think that topsoil would remain topsoil and just move around. It's not like there are mudslides and shit everywhere to bury it. So how?

Bones decompose, it takes a long time but they do.

Nowhere, things sink into the earth through rain and vibration etc.

Already answered m8's.

Well that was anti-climatic. Thanks senpai.

l
a
d

I think there's also human made rubble that slowly piles up

>Veeky Forums is a great board but /pol/tards are ruining it!
Good job faggots, look at your own damn board

>OP and anons using the Three Age System without irony

>unironically using the 3 age system

kek at your life OP

Pressure. Gravity. Compression.

That's not the problem, the problem is that he uses it like a retard

What's wrong with the Three-age system?

Human history isn't that basic, it's impossible to state that certain times correspond to a certain age because development happens at different speeds. It's also hard to believe that people would suddenly stop using stone tools because someone came round with a shiny new axe. Basically, what I'm saying is there are too many blurred lines for the three age system to be effective.

What makes you think that guy is from /pol/?

I need to know how to detect the /pol/tards.