I'm 25 and don't have a license and I'm actually pretty afraid to drive...

I'm 25 and don't have a license and I'm actually pretty afraid to drive. Is it weird that I have no problem using a bike as my main transport and do it on crowded public streets but I'm afraid to drive a car?

Go back to /n/ S/o/viet

if you, at 25 years old, are genuinely afraid to do something that millions of other people already do daily without incident then you might want to stick to the spindly, two-wheeled apparatus with no safety equipment, inspection certificate, indicator lights, rear-view mirrors, windshield, seat belts or interior whatsoever.

You may also want to kill yourself to complete the self-destructive cowardice but seeing as you ride a bicycle, I'm sure someone with a car will eventually take care of that for you.

Yes, bikes are terrible ways to get about unless you live in a city

Afraid in what way? Afraid you'll get hurt? Afraid of all the costs that come with owning a vehicle? Afraid of damaging someone else's vehicle?
Riding a bike is fine if you're headed somewhere close. Nothing wrong with that.

not OP but my mother is in her 40's and doesnt have her license. I dont live in a city btw. we live in a fucking suburb.

its pathetic

How do I get her to get a license.

>bike.......on crowded public streets
Pls leave

Don't bother.
At that age she will find it frustrating to learn to drive, and she will be a danger to everyone else on the road. If you don't learn to drive by 30 you need to work twice as hard to learn and it will never be as intuitive for you as it is for people who learned at 16 or 18.

Teach her yourself, then have her try and get a license just so she'll be able to legally drive in an emergency. If she refuses to listen to you (women and men both get a strange mix of obnoxiously overconfident and hesitant around middle age) then abandon teaching until she does.

honestly though, it's a lost cause and she's probably going to have a mild crash and get all PTSD over it forcing you to drive her around for the rest of her life.

It's fine. We urgently need fewer cars on the road.

>Teach her yourself,
I tried and we got in an argument before we even started lel

Got my friends girlfriend to give her ONE lesson and thats it. she was supposed to keep going but never kept up with it.

I need to move out asap. Then she'll only rely on my stepdad who works every single day.

>Cyclist
>Mentally deficient

Checks out.

>I tried and we got in an argument before we even started lel
Yeah, that's a very good indicator that you're wasting your time.
I know it's your mom but you're gonna have to let her suffer until she realizes that arguing with someone trying to teach you to operate a 3000 lb death machine is not the way to go.

If it were my mom, I'd refuse to take her anywhere until the arguing stopped or she got a license on her own. (Un)fortunately my mother thinks she is the reincarnation of Juan Manuel Fangio. You ain't never seen an XC90 move so fast.

>riding a bike means you want to kill yourself

what a fucking sperglord you are

Then get a motorcycle license and buy a bike

people who ride bicycles on the road are really, really fucking stupid. unless you live downtown in a city where there is constant stop and go traffic.

where do you think bicyclists are supposed to ride, on the sidewalk? you arent allowed to ride on the sidewalk

or is this just how Veeky Forums feels about bicycles, that any bike takes up their valuable road real estate

it's not about taking up my road it's about going half the speed of traffic on a fucking bicycle when you know how many shitty drivers are out there not paying attention to anything.

so basically you just think bicycling in general is stupid then?

Not him but in the modern world where you're sharing the road with things that make literally 10 times the power you do, that weigh 10 times as much as you, operated by people who aren't paying half as much attention as you, yes it's an incredibly stupid and dangerous mode of transportation, especially if it's your only vehicle.

To ride a bicycle on a busy public road is playing with death, moreso than any other kind of vehicle. I can appreciate the cyclist who goes out of their way to NOT ride in areas where there's bound to be heavy or high-speed traffic, but the idiots who take this shit seriously tend to only want to ride on high-volume roads that are the direct route to their objective, which is exactly what motorists do, so "sharing" the road means piling up behind this pedal-powered fuckwit and passing him on the double-yellow as quickly as possible.

so basically you think the only time a bicyclist should ride a bike is on a barren country road with no cars around? are you aware of the existence of bike lanes that are specifically built onto busier roads for bicyclists to use that do not impede the flow of traffic?

no I think bicycling on roads in general is pretty stupid.

Many such cases

No, you're just scared cause you haven't done it yet. As such you lack confidence in your ability to drive. That's probably why you're scared and thats cool. I was the same before I started to drive and later riding a motorcycle. Simply put you just got to do it to face your fear. Once you do that you'll gain confidence and feel how silly it was to be afraid in the first place.

so where are they supposed to bicycle then

Bike paths and bike lanes.

You're afraid of the responsibility attached to driving a car. Driving someone over, crashing and killing someone or destroying their car. In a bike you're always the victim, while a car puts you in a far greater position of power, thus responsibility.

>are you aware of the existence of bike lanes

Are you aware that not every road has these? I live in a bike-heavy city and maybe a handful of my local roads are bike-laned. The roads that are already congested have been widened as far as they can go to add more lanes, but not for bikes.
Are you aware that there are municipalities who believe the pre-existing road shoulder, which is usually covered in gravel and debris is acceptable as a bike lane? That's what mine does. Bike lanes are really great when you need a fucking MBX just to not crash. Most people here ride not in the bike lane, but on the dividing line because the bike lane is covered in rocks and shit, and the street sweepers never run their vehicles over that far.

Yes I expect a competent cyclist to detour through residential areas or side streets and get around traffic just like I expect any lycra-encased meat sack to run red lights and pretend they're a pedestrian when convenient.

>people want to ride a bike for exercise, enjoyment, transportation, any multitude of reasons
>would love to have their own lanes so they can stay out of the way of other people and let them get on their way in cars
>they are not always thought about and provided their own lanes for safety, or even not having their acceptable lanes cleaned of debris, and sometimes have to venture onto the main lane out of necessity to get where they are going, just like car drivers do
>somehow this makes them assholes and they should go many many miles out of their way or even take impossible routes just to not make you go a little bit slower for a mile or so

Going dangerously slow on a tiny vehicle has no conceivable excuse. Find another route. That's half the point of only having two wheels, isn't it?

Let's say instead of a bicycle, you had a tiny little car that couldn't do more than 20 mph. It's all legal, turn signals, mirrors, airbags even, but it's just slow.

Would you drive it in places where traffic goes significantly faster than that? Do you think it would be offered the same respect as other cars that can achieve the speed limit? Of course not. You'd be honked at, yelled, at, probably ticketed just because you are incapable of maintaining the consistency of traffic flow and are in fact impeding it. Keep in mind with a car it's illegal to drive it on the shoulder, and it's not so small you could carry it and walk a short way (as with a bicycle). It would be incredibly stupid to own this kind of vehicle yet cyclists demand special treatment. A bike can't possibly be your only form of transport because if you can afford one you can also afford the bus, and if you can ride one you're also fit enough to walk. Why would you put yourself in such extreme danger for fun or exercise? It's ridiculous.

>just to not make you go a little bit slower
It's not just me. I already drive slow enough to get brotrucks and soccer moms with their noses up my tailpipe, and I'm always watching out for cyclists. But it pains me to see a cyclist deep in his groove looking like a power ranger running from rita repulsa's horde with an entire queue of cars behind him and no sense to stop off to the side and let the fucking parade of people with actual shit to do go past him.

>>Let's say instead of a bicycle, you had a tiny little car that couldn't do more than 20 mph. It's all legal, turn signals, mirrors, airbags even, but it's just slow.

your rant about this isnt true because people are allowed to ride scooters on a road (like a vespa scooter) and it goes slow and it's road legal

I agree fully about cyclists who CHOOSE to ride on a main road lane instead of using a perfectly acceptable bike lane or shoulder, or those who run red lights, etc. Those weekend warriors lycra faggots who ride 5 side by side spilling over into a car lane so they can chat while they ride.

But this thing you're saying that it's "ridiculous" to ride a fucking bike for fun and exercise is absolutely asinine, and that basically you shouldn't be using a bicycle to go between 2 places is ridiculous, and then saying to just "walk it on your shoulder" on a main road, what the hell?

People who bicycle generally don't have it as their "only form of transport and should just use the bus or walk instead"

Not OP, but I'm the only one that I know other than my father who doesn't flip their shit when someone is going slow, being annoying, not using their turn signal. I mean, you and I both have 4 wheels with brakes and an engine. I get your analogy, but as long as its not a single lane road without turnouts and he's not in the left lane (or right, wherever you live), is it that big of a deal to slow down for him, turn your blinker on and move around him when you have the opportunity?

I hate cyclists on the sidewalk, I hate them taking up space on the main road, but they have to go somewhere. As far as I'm concerned, they're punishing themselves while I cruise with the a/c on listening to cool tunes. nbd senpai

I have a car license but haven't driven a car since I was a teenager (currently 33). I do however own and ride motorcycles. For me it's about not wanting to be responsible for hitting someone (even though I'm a super safe driver have never hit anyone or anything). I'm much more comfortable accepting the risk myself with a bike, than forcing it on others with a car.

My mom learned to drive in her 30s. It's never too late to learn.

These don't always lead to where you need to go. I drive more than I bike, but I bike regularly enough. I think people vastly overstate the dangers of being on a public road. I stick to the side of the lane most of the time unless there's some reason not to, and people always give me a good amount of distance when I'm passing. Maybe other cities are different.