/scg/edg/ Star Dangerous Elites General #144: Space Dreaming #2

Previous: (Cross-thread)

At least it's not Margaret Thatcher again

Previous: (Cross-thread)

Elite: Dangerous information:
pastebin.com/AEU0TuVt
Be aware, Thargroids are currently grabbing ships out of witchspace with unknown intentions. it is advised you shoot the fuck out of them whenever possible.
>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos
Discord
discord.gg/CJFhUkp
>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA
>Other games:
pastebin.com/cugkem8w
Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC and E:D to become playable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0B0QUFSCUgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no anime

>from unfunny thatcher meme to le kawaii anime girl

Does /scg/edg/ have the worst OPs of Veeky Forums?

that's not anime

Thanks for chipping in. We were only on page 10 almost 30 posts over the limit.

repostan

ED is wasted potential and SC is nothing but feature creep and bloat

Both are failures

Scifi is dead

I'm still here for shitty space games but I wish we had better OP images, that's it.

I seriously hope there will be a boob slider to make bigger boobs

Shit, I remember that. I do remember people saying they're cancelling their subscriptions because of the bullshit Happy hour, and that other show (can't recall the name).

> I think it's been walked back to around 60 for the full "launch," with 100 being reached shortly after. Once they get the kinks worked out, systems can be designed in parallel. They're envisioning 400 systems over the course of the game.
proofs?

>Qdrive

I disagree. Quantum travel in SC isn't that bad. It's just transit. If you need some developer justification, it shows scale

around the tools.
tools of the verse.
maps of nothing.

I guess the last two weeks have just been spoiling me.

Fair. I was going to post a Braben meme, but thought 88 was better than that or a Space Engine shot.

>Quantum travel in SC isn't that bad.
It's a few seconds traversing a lunar orbit. Crossing a system will take 10-40 minutes depending on the size, obstacles, etc. That's 10-40 minutes of doing nothing, interrupted by pointing and clicking where you want to go. MMO gameplay straight from the 90s. I'm not saying to make it faster. The scale can still be there because it'll still take as long. I'm just saying having it be literally nothing aside from a few point and clicks now and then is a broken system for a supposedly interactive and immersive game such as SC.

Could just use comfy concept art of places that we're not gonna see populated or even in engine for god knows how long.
So are you saying implement somthing similar to warp travel navigation but for in-system? Trade lanes could be used as an excuse to make things go faster but that starts to limit freedom options of mobility.

I feel the opposite. They finally explained how the netcode is going to work and how we are going to have ridiculous player counts.

This is the best one yet. I am actually, unironically excited about this weeks show.

Noted.

Or 88 works too. Just do whatever. Doesn't matter.
I'm sure someone's got archives of pictures somewhere. If not I can throw fragmented ones your way.

That pic looks like cancer.

it is

When is the new netcode coming?

>So are you saying implement somthing similar to warp travel navigation but for in-system?
Basically. Not linear though. It'd still use the QD lore and be ~.2c, just that you would still be piloting the ship or have control in some way, that could be delegated to an autopilot if desired.

The system that comes to my mind would be after the QD spool up you "launch" into, for lack of a better phrase, quantum space, which would be a small (to make it traversable in under an hour) representation of the solar system. All major celestial bodies would be represented by say their gravity. Your gravity would be a function of you ship size, relative speed, and starting mass. It would take 10-40 minutes to traverse a solar system depending on it's size, the current state of the celestial bodies, etc. So like ten minutes for a very small system under ideal conditions by a good pilot, 40 minutes or slightly more for a large system under poor conditions by a poor pilot. then in this model you could have scanning, interception, etc. at a deeper and more enjoyable level than what's possible under the current QD model. Not that I think this is how it should work, just an example of a system that would make it more dynamic and deeper than pointing and clicking around a solar system with a few random encounters.

Even from a slightly realistic standpoint, straight line jumping at 0.2c is a wholly unrealistic way to get a across a solar system in a reasonable amount of time.

>Subscriptions
I never gave a shit until ship of the month became a thing. The bonus REC would be nice.

I'm actually considering this because of the fucking Big Benny's machine, and my real dilemma is if I'm willing to give CIG another $10, already being Vice Admiral status, for a supposedly exclusive vending machine. Fuck.

Never.

youtube.com/watch?v=0B0QUFSCUgo

New Around the Verse

I quite like E:D's radar, I wish they'd just use something similar

I fucking hate the le big benny machine xD meme. It wasn't funny in the first place, and the devs embracing it with stupid shit like a stack of vending machines in the Yela asteroid field blaring the theme song only makes it worse.

Those are plenty big.

I just figured they would develop enough things to do while QT'ing. Even in single seat ships. Just enough to keep the player from alt tabbing but not boring enough to be staring at a bunch of space whizzing by.
Not to discredit the awesomeness that is what they've done visually combined with the audio department on making that experience super duper immersive.

>gladius-sized ship
>except it's heavily armed
>it should be more maneuverable than the light fighter

Literally the best one. Once the megamap is loaded, you can go literally anywhere seamlessly.

>This is how we will have fleet battles.
>This is how it will appear as a single shard.

It would seem that having OCed memory and god tier I/O is going to be very beneficial.

You're right. I can't trust that CIG won't keep it exclusive, and I can probably just steal one eventually anyway. I only like bennyhenge because I imagine Ben is the one under the machine.

I just feel like with the amount of time travel will take and the amount of it we'll potentially be doing depending on play style, that the current system will get really old really fast. I just can't imagine anything they could add as far as minigames to generate that much enjoyable play time. Even on large ships you really wouldn't be getting up and checking on the ship because that's what multi-crew is hypothetically for. I just don't see the fun in buying the world's greatest space sim to sit and play chess 90% of the time you're traversing the universe.

True. Even the type of people that buy truck simulators expect some level of consistency for interactive gameplay. It would have to be much more than cosmetic little things like "oh wow that dynamic audio felt good" and "hehe i pressed that arbitrary button and it flickered a screen". The stuff you should be able to do is directly control how that QT is getting you around the system. Perhaps even organizing/achieving digital tasks that you want normally do once you arrived to the destination.

>hueg cockpit
>2/3 is empty space

That's really what I'm getting at. Travel appears to be such a large part of the game that the current system feels like it under serves it. Most of travel time will be spent in QD, so it deserves it's own gameplay model.

Frontier does this with Lakon ships too except vertically and it bugs me alot. You're basically sitting in the middle of a cage with a console in front of you

That paintjob is awful, I hope thats not yours.

>>hueg cockpit
/3 of view is struts

Its not, that was just the best image I could pull off google that gave a good view of the cockpit. I'm primarily an FDL pilot.

QD wont be most of travel time, It takes as long to cross the Yela asteroid belt on cruise as it does to QD across the entire Crusader level QD, thats one of the reasons I awas so assmad about them dropping the top cruise velocities so much. Crossing large obstacles is going to be really time consuming as things stand now.

Point to point QD jumps do have their own mechanic already, its fuel management and its gonna be a much bigger issue once your talking about flying from planet to planet, ships burn up significant portions of fuel just hopping from one side of crusader to the other, and planning your route to balance flying from tank to tank without running into dangerous areas, running empty and needing a tanker or flying a long circuitous route and burning up all your profit is going to be a matter for some thought.

Additionally QD is like driving on the Interstates, its just a utilty for getting from place to place, the goal is to get from a to b as fast as possible, adding constant interruption and mechanics and input to something you will have to do constantly would get tedious fast.

Hi there!
I couldn't help but notice that we have a new thread now. I take it that this means that the space legs are either coming shortly or have already arrived?

Best,
Spencer Aceh Legsom

>QD wont be most of travel time
Uh, yeah, it fucking will. Even with only the orbitals around one planet every significant travel step is done with QD. Any time you cross a solar system you're going to QD from point to point around objects in your way. When talking about a solar system, each jump would take several minutes.

>Point to point QD jumps do have their own mechanic already, its fuel management
That's an autist/paper RPG mechanic. Not suitable for an immersive game like SC. I am NOT saying fuel shouldn't be a consideration, but if you think having to manage fuel compensates for staring at a QD animation doing nothing for 30-40 minutes every time you need to cross a solar system as gameplay, you're fucking delusional.

>Additionally QD is like driving on the Interstates
Which is why it needs to be more immersive and have it's own gameplay system. As it stands, using an interstate analogy, anytime you need to travel a non-trivial distance, you pick the closest major city, get on the interstate, and the autopilot drives you there with no interaction. You do nothing. Once you get there, you pick the next major city, get on the interstate, and autopilot drives the entire time. You do absolutely nothing. Repeat this process a few times to navigate around a solar system. Then you get on a plane (jump drive) and go to another continent. Now you pick the closest major city, etc. Repeat a few times. Another plane/jump drive. Repeat this a few times if you need to travel across a few systems. The whole time you don't do anything related to spaceships. Star Citizen is DOA because the major gameplay component, space travel and exploration, is boring as fuck and only appeals to autists. If you don't wan't to play a game and just want to calculate stats go play space D&D.

I want to get my spacefag on, but I only use Linux. What game(s) work best for penguin fuckers?

Space Invaders

tux racer

I've noticed that most people who use historical figures as user names are retarded

Smaller tits = living a longer happier life. Huge boobs cause major issues for women later on in life.

>We'll never get this amazing ass and that awesome suit

This game plays 900 years in the future m8, just get a cyborg spine that supports your mega boobs

or lifting three times a week combined with hilt training.

900 years in the future you won't have to lift you just do gene therapy for three fiddy

PTU is open for first wave now.

Is Gene therapy or test tube babies a thing in SC lore? 900 years is enough time to completely eradicate ugly people.

Posting a few Buccaneer shots. Stock loadout is 2 gimbaled Badgers, 2 S2 Tarantula on the top turret and 2 fixed S1 ballistics, I forgot their name, on the wingtips. 2 S3 missile hardpoints with 2 Rattlers each. It goes 220 in SCM.

Probably not, because the definition of beauty changes. Just look at the new Mass Effect game, where everyone looks like potato because potato is the new standard in the future.

my body is ready

The face editor is entirely in-lore so there's that at least

The landing gear takes up a stupidly huge amount of internal space.

Is it? It doesn't seem to be any more than current airplanes.

It's not that bad

I didn't get into the first wave I'm so pissed. I have been such a good boy on the issue council lately.

I've been in the first wave since there was a first wave. The beforetimes were very dark.

I almost always got into the ptu first, idk why I didn't this time.

Are you looking at your email or at your account on the website? It always appears on the website first.

>they moved the turret to the top so the stupid landing gear could fold and unfold neatly

fucking stop it

I think it's different from plane to plane.

Post more buccaneer cockpit pics pls

>Find System with a Water world
>The Water world is the only thing thats been scanned, not even the first star was scanned
>They ignored the 7 High-Metal Contents, half of them with atmospheres
But why

Probably thought it was an Earthlike and went straight for it.

Plebs can't ID planets by ear.

Sherman was a cuck anyways.

Do you think ED will be getting new ships in 2.4?

It somehow wouldn't surprise me that someone could mistake a planet thats nothing but ice caps with blue in between for an earth-like. If someone couldn't even ID that then it would explain why they're ignoring High-Metal Contents they probably think they're just colorful rock planets.

>It would seem that having OCed memory and god tier I/O is going to be very beneficial.
>128GB RAM
>load the entire game onto a RAM disk at start

does this mean you can change out the 2 gimbaled s2 for fixed s3?

Who wants an invasion by hideously OP Thargoids in 2.4?
I certainly do, because the forumdads would GET FUCKED, and maybe this time FDev wouldn't let forumdads get in the way of money.

They make PCIe cards that hold RAM to do exactly that.

yes

* the story

>invasion

The most invasion you'll get is what you're getting now. Pockets of space you can go to to pretend there's a galactic war going on.

The MMO I'd make if I could, plz rate:

> Two types of player characters, pilots and AI
> Pilots fly strike craft (fighters, bombers, scouts and gunships) in first-person, AI fly capital ships with a detached camera, kind of like EVE
> Strike craft have 6 degrees of freedom, can slip inside bigger ships' shields, have on-board jump drives, emit a lot of heat, have basically no gravity signatures, use thermal sensors, can target and damage specific systems in enemy ships, and weapons with fixed/very small firing arcs
> Capital ships always travel forwards, have to use jump gates or wormholes, barring a few of the smaller classes that can use jump drives, emit heat and have gravitational signatures depending on their mass, use gravitational sensors, can't target specific sections of enemy ships, and use turreted weapons with large arcs

> Pilots can use anything their ship can fit, and have ranking depending on how good they are at various kinds of combat, rank is based on average points per life, higher ranks get bigger discounts on equipment.
> AI have a storage value, a CPU value, and a RAM value.
> Each program has a storage value, a CPU value, and a RAM value.
> AI can hold as many programs as they have storage capacity for, and can run as many programs as they have CPU and RAM capacity value for.
> Programs are the equivalent of skills in other games, with certain equipment and ships being unusable unless the correct program is running, and certain actions gaining bonuses if certain programs are running
> Programs may be switched on or off at will.
> Programs can be copied infinitely, as long as the player has storage cores to copy them into
> CPU, RAM and storage space can all be upgraded, but upgrades and programs carried are lost on death.
> For both types of players, death means that everything carried must be fully replaced
> Corvette, frigate and capital wrecks can be recovered and rebuilt at 33.333% of the price, though modules must be replaced normally

>First thoughts.

Megamap is pretty cool. SM loading is a quarter of what it was off of HDD, going back to the main menu is instant.

The PU is the same, as far as I can tell. People in chat were saying that serialized variable was in for the PU, but I couldn't tell a difference. MM is not implemented for the PU yet.

The Bucc is smol. Handling is good but not great, feels like it could out turn a Hornet. I don't like the twin S2 mounts up top, maybe I'll get used to them. It has a monster quantum tank, I arrived at the first ICC mission with 94% still. I don't like the Rattler missiles, two S3 missiles would be better. Can only change weapons, no ship parts, which is a bummer. I'm happy with it overall.

Honestly this. Even in the old games a Thargoid encounter was just a "fuck you" that the RNG rammed directly up your ass with absolutely zero relation to anything else going on.

What do you do in your MMO, just fight each other?

>13,315 Earth Atmospheres
Holy shit.

That'd be most of what pilots would be able to do, yeah, though smuggling and recon/exploration would all be possible, and something they could do better than AI.

AI, on the other hand, would be able to do combat, construction (player-built stargates and stations would be a major gameplay element), manufacturing, trading, mining, and limited exploration if using certain ships (there's a lore reason why jump drives can't be put onto almost all capital ships, and why they have to use warp drives instead, however, the smallest capital ships would be able to fit jump drives, though they'd be shit at it).

Setting:
> Fairly early on into Humanity's colonisation of space
> Only about a hundred of the solar systems around Sol are inhabited
> No planets capable of hosting life have been discovered, though some of the planets in systems near Sol have been terraformed, and the inhabitants of other systems live in giant space colonies
> Empire of Sol only cares about systems that have inhabitable planets, and leaves the rest to govern themselves, viewing them as worthless.
> They respond to any crime in these systems by destroying the attacker and locking them out of the jump gates leading into Empire space, and heavily tax everyone inside Empire space to pay for the cost of the terraforming. (Rationalization for 50% taxes in safer areas, and locking people out at the slightest provocation so that they GIT GUD)
> However, the authorities cannot easily detect strike craft or stop them from leaving, so they ignore them, except when they are committing crimes, but they can’t do much to stop them from just jumping out (strike craft can still make carebears miserable, so they don't get too complacent).
> Each inhabited system has jump gates leading to its nearest neighbours.
> Beyond the space inhabited by humans, the rest of the galaxy waits, unexplored, and claimable by player factions.

>A ship with massive rearward facing engines should be more manouverable, but slower in a straight line

Mmmm yes, I see the watertight logic on that one

My best guess, they're stating the ships without actually seeing them, or mistaking it for another ship.

Yea I wouldn't doubt it. The bucc is an interdiction ship, it should haul ass in a straight line, I feel its SCM speed should be faster.

Thats baby shit

they really love shitting on gladius

ATV was good

>That 10 minute series of back to back info drops without pause or any unnecessary flare, immediately as intro ends
>casually dropping ingame female model footage
>Heavy outlaw soon
>mech suit / power armor confirmed
>subs possibly getting access to future banu / vanduul ships on top of the scythe and glaive we get now
>building block tools for making the game are taking priority and actually happening

resting easy

Didn't the revamped cutlass also go in for 2.6.2? Or am I I just reading the supposed notes wrong.

No, Old Cutlass still, unfortunately.

What are the Bucc speeds , anyway?

220/710

I am of sad now. I will find an appropriate corner to excrete my sadness into.

>tfw Black Holes still make me uneasy despite knowing they're effectively harmless in E:D

>play Elite in VR
>enjoying it
>mfw jumped through a star while exiting a jump in VR

I don't want to look at black holes in VR