Dwarf Fortress General /dfg/

Goblin Waifu Edition
Old Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zJlO6KZpVw
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.40.24-r5
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12737
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for microline

Post your favourite weapon and goal one

>tfw no adamantine serrated disc

Pickaxe.

Illustration for the next General Thread from one of our dear anons.
Very cute artstyle IMO.

How stable is the 64 bits version ?
What about Dwarf Therapist and DFhack 64 bits versions ? are they stable and playable too?

>favourite weapon
Morning Stars! Gotta love those sexy spikes attached to a steel ball.

This lightsaber will make a fine addition to my collection.

whats that font senpai
it looks really nice

Thanks fellas!

(here is a gimps at 3)

Maces are the best

I like the flails with morning stars.

What is your prefered font?

7 year in, after a goblin siege.
I finally pump water in but because a problem with the mechanics the magma is going to take a little longer. Next step is to breach the cavers and wait for the grass to grow, I hope the lag spike don't be too much.
Apart from furnish the rooms I don't really know what to do next, any suggestions?

>feel uneasy near the edge of a city
>stop to see what it is
>elf/human battle vs the undead

holy shit this is gonna be good, will there be a necromancer somewhere?

Man, axes are really OP, that dwarf only had one point in axedwarf at the start of the siege and ending with the most kill

if he's there he's sneaking

pic related is the cannon fodder running off heroically to get slaughtered en masse

And now they're following me wherever I go to the point that when I stand still and spam . they just all cluster in a square around me on top of each other, wtf?

>Phoebus

My man

Are you a necromancer?

No, the human/elf army is doing it

God your fort is sexy

I am just autistic for the bashing demographic.

youtube.com/watch?v=3zJlO6KZpVw

What do I do with my wall of human shields? I've tried running around and I can't find the undead now but it keeps saying I feel uneasy

There might be a necromancer still in hiding somewhere

replying

Constructed walls drop the materials unless connection is severed in one chunk, natural stone walls (or ice walls as I used for my no-dfhack sub-magma constructions) fall as a solid block and end up sitting where they land (unless they melt) with the liquids displaced on top of them.

Dropping one through a gap which it is tall enough to fill:

[] < \
[]

Yeah but I can literally not find a single undead or any non-peaceful enemy around

You usually put a > before quoted lines after clicking the post number to link it.

>not sure magma and water follow the same rules
They do except water pressure can force water up a U-bend but can't do the same with magma.

What you did will just teleport the water under the block on top of it.

You want:
[]
[]
[]

Are tombs worth invading?

if you're a necro, yeah
they're basically big armies awaiting awakening

If you're not a necromancer though you'll just get cursed by a mummy. I have no idea what a curse does though since my adventurers invariably get torn apart by the fifty zombies that suddenly spawn

Just finished rereading dev_single to refresh my memory. Now going to revisit the entire devlog starting from 2004. Wish me luck beards, i'm going in dry

mummy curse means you fail 50% of all actions you take, instanly

I'm getting a bug where my adventurer, that I coronated a Baron, left the capital (read baron of Healedvessel in picrelated) and enabled the Outpost Liaison to repeatedly declare my realm elevated. Every single time. And is this even worth reporting without expecting it to be reassigned to an existing post?

I haven't had any crashes, though I just moved over the other day.

I haven't tried many of the dfhack features though. I'm basically just using it for its manage labors feature.

Therapist seems to work fine, though again I haven't done much with it yet.

goblins a shit

Infinity x infinity is godtier.

How much of that was planned beforehand vs worked in with paths created from automine ore?

It was all planned from the start, I don't use automine
I mostly use marker and then open depending on what I need

Very impressive, mate. That feature which lets you see z levels below really helps with this fort.
I only just discovered automine ore, so I'm kind of playing around with more organic looking forts. So far the hardest thing is letting go of efficiency. Style is more satisfying.

20% chance of all skill rolls being 0%

Is there a working DFhack for 40.24? I tried the latest version on github and it crashed it

>square
>16x24

>reddit is down
>dfg is active again

Really makes you think

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.40.24-r5

The latest one on github is a beta release for 43.05. Don't want to get your versions mixed up.

Is 40.24 the latest df you've played? Some cool stuff has been added since then (probably, I can't be bothered checking)

Yeah it's a pretty interesting naming scheme the creator came up with for his non-square set lol.

The problem that I have with automine is that you need to find a vein first so you need to create a corridor to it which inevitably will make it look less natural, is better to create your own "caves" and work from there

Definitely. Mouse control is pretty important for that. Keyboard designation would make me want to kill myself.

The couple of days I've used it I've really come to like automine though. Beforehand I'd been using dfhack's digv and it always felt kind of cheaty being able to see exactly where the vein was before mining it.

Oh damn I thought 40.24 was the latest, I've had it on my computer for a year or so and just got back into it

Oh man, welcome back. There's been a ton of improvements since then. Newest version has 64bit support, and I think we're getting magic in the next release.

Yeah, you're waaaaay out of date, like a couple of years.

It's the GemSet guy and he's had nonsquare sets the whole time, I used to swear by his old 32x48 text set before I saw his 24x36 vector set.

It's vector_square because the proportions of the letters are square based, rather than having rounded or tapered sections.

>said 24x36 set

Looks good. Discovering the vector set has made me want to get a bigger monitor. 16x24 seems to be the best tile size for fortress mode in 1080p and combine with a nice color scheme just looks amazing, but imagine the tile size you could use on a 4k monitor?

I would literally buy a 4k monitor for dwarf fortress.

some faggot posted this on s4s guys, they're talking shit about toady

Why are you even on /s4s/?

extremely bored of everything, but not sleepy enough

16x24 is the largest native set on a 1280x720 (so basically what you want on a 1366x768 which would really be like 17.something by 25.something) while 24x36 fits 1920x1080 at 80x30 tiles, you could technically go to like 24x48 but it hurts my head to look at. Up on a 4k you could pull off a 48x72 nicely.

Let us know if they make anything good, least they got the classic version with the beard.

Hmmm, I'd rather have more stuff on screen than the standard 80x25 windowed view offers. Full screen on my 1080p monitor gives me 120x45 which to me feels like a solid trade between nice big crisp tiles and game resolution.

That said, I'm going to fire df up with 24x36 and see how I like it.

The 16x24 is a nice choice for fort mode, but the 24x36 will scale down cleanly even with the game's scaling.

aren't those kind of big? I use 16x16 on 1600x900 and think sometimes it's kind of big too, depending on what i'm doing

Pretty comfy at 1080p, mate. It's also pretty comfy on my 1440x900 laptop.

16x24 is a great size for 1600x900.

Oh great, we got a fucking nazi saying hi /dfg/ and loving the vector sets, mom was right, she knew I'd fall in with nazis online and I did it anyway!

well, seeing that I use the vanilla 16x16, it's not that far off from 16x24, I also use twbt so the text doesn't stay l i k e t h i s

I don't use the multilevel viewer tho

sieg heil brother!

I thought it was a given that everyone on Veeky Forums is an evil nazi?

is this the reddit where all the cool kids hang out?

>trying to figure out how to get towers built without a bunch of zombies stand around
>decide to use a spirit wisp creature I had from an old "talk to the dead" interaction thing
>tower full of spirit wisp zombies being useless and getting in your way
>fuck
>realize I was thinking about this the wrong way
>change the melting/boiling points around to 8000/7000, set the ignite point to 8001
>spawn a few in the arena
>they explode
>spawn a few more
>take control of one
>burn to death
>awesome
Fair enough.

Nobody here but us nazis, fuck off.

#necromancerproblems

Which tileset is your fav, /dfg/?

For me it's Ironhand.

vanilla square 16x16

Basically, yeah.

The รข over there is an ancient one btw, they're the tower builders and supernatural+the spheres for the respective martial arts secrets that turn the different races into their +1 versions.

So is someone able to redpill me on the big changes since 40.24? I think I remember toady talking about music or something

>pic unrelated

Normies get out reeeeeeeeeeeee!

>music
well, RNG'd music is being played in the taverns now. you don't actually hear it, but you get it described in high enough detail to technically be able to recreate it irl.

64 bit, fixes, armor being able to be destroyed and the rng armor for invaders fixed.

>implying I'm not a full on retard via cancermemes
Really?

Can weapons be destroyed too? Just so I can take a swing at some guy with an adamantine scimitar while he's holding a copper shortsword and have it fuck up his hand to block it

I made a mistake. I will never try giving anyone performer or tavern keeper priveleges, those bar fights from inebriation were too nasty

How would Toadywave music sound like?

elven corpse

>Two pits
Well that's bullshit.

@whoever uploaded the raws file with animalmen genocided, it works great except that the only one you missed was squid men

thanks man

>current year
>STILL no spruces

Hey man, you could do a lot with those two pits. You could carve out the area between and have it be a sweet natural bridge between top fort and bottom fort.

Might just build my entire fort around them goes down around 30 z levels there's even an area at the bottom where its flat with the tops of the cavern below.

You should carve a massive spiral staircase around the inside of those pits. Also you should execute criminals by tossing them in.

Oh shit I did? Thanks!

>Where?
>Was I making stairs into it?
Seems the floor was just removed from the top of them. It's at the bottom of the right bit.

Fixed, thanks!
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12737

I removed them in the save I use but missed them when uploading somehow, I know for sure they were gone in the new one because I removed the creature variations for animal men entirely but it would error if there were any animal men present still.

Means the game was paused as they were revealed, the top of those candy tiles are technically the floor above them.

Open space which is weird.

Sry I had to copy and paste my comment and missed a bit:

Yesterday I got my ass handed to me by a weremoose.
How likely is that? Is this something I should prepare myself for in future runs? Because this thing came pretty much right after my first proper migration wave, so I really didn't have any military to speak of.

old vidya gaem soundtracks recreated with acoustic guitar with additional meanderung and complexity making them sound like the DF soundtrack

>Animal trainers can be ghosts
Guess its time to start training on the coast and train a whale.

Yeah that can happen occasionally.

I usually give my dwarves axe skills and bring along some axes for them to use.

Took me ages to realize that you really don't need to invest much in your starting dwarves skills. Just pump the things that take ages like mining, combat and farming and let them learn the rest through experience. Then spend the rest on bringing cool items and animals with you.

>How likely is that?
It's one of the most constant threats. You can always count on werebeasts.

>Is this something I should prepare myself for in future runs?
Yes. This is why you'll want to get a good militia together as soon as possible, as well as a burrow where you can evacuate your civilians when one arrives.

>You can always count on werebeasts.
Not if you mod them out :^)

You can't "mod" them out, because they're hard-coded into the game.

You can, however, use advanced worldgen to generate a world with no werebeast curses, and thus no werebeasts.

>search lair
>human parchment sheet

>would you like to play a game

>game
how about a fantasy world simulator instead :)