/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General: Beyond Hope edition

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Preceding Age: >Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SlcUwUwjLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=jW55cViXu6s
soundcloud.com/flybyno/across-the-drift-riftborn-theme-demo-version
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for battlestar galactica
youtu.be/SlcUwUwjLrs

Tugboats push and pull ships several times their size all the time, and space ships don't have to deal with things such as friction when moving like they do.

even if it did have the thrust to move it that quickly, judging by how it impacted the other star destroyer then it should've just bored a hole right through it like a wood-burning pen sitting on a styrofoam block

I was thinking I should try Beyond Earth again as I wait for Utopia.
Does anyone know if there's an Earth map with accurate starting locations? (Kavitha in India, ARC in 'murica, etc)

I usually enjoy Civ V more when I play it like that; maybe it's transferrable and I can just pretend I'm playing Civ: Post-Apocalypse rather than Civ: Shitty AyyLmao Planet.

Civ 6 is actually > Civ 5 imo

It's fun now with mods

Is authoritarianism ethos really monarchism?

no one is saying it wouldn't be able to move it.

this pretty much.

monarchism is a type of authoritarianism but authoritarianism isn't only monarchism

Authoritarianism ingame is very hierarchic, with castes and all of that.

On the other hand, nothing stops you from picking any non-egalitarian ethos and still chose an absolute government.

My two biggest problems with CiVI is that its map generation is terrible and its AI is retarded. Not even "typical Civilization game" retarded. The AI is advanced stupid.

>all these new amazing features
Truly this expansion is going to be Utopian.

No because there's nothing about authoritarianism that says power has to be concentrated in hereditary autocrats.

You can be authoritarian without picking authoritarian ethos.

I'm kinda unimpressed because these were all things that we were promised for the base game but now we had to wait a year and pay for twice.
AND I'm not convinced they'll be any better than the stuff they're replacing.

Launch Stellaris was supposed to have a rich internal faction system - what we got was literally no factions at all unless you go hard slavery, in which case you get one faction pretending to be 3 factions.
Possibly to be fixed with faction rework, although who knows how the new methodology will play out in practice.

Launch Stellaris was supposed to have functional internal revolts, but I have never seen a sector spaz out in 500 hours of play and you can pay 1 blurple mana to shut even the possibility down forever.
Possibly to be fixed with Unrest mechanics, but to be honest that just looks like a different way of doing the same thing we have now.

And launch Stellaris was supposed to have replayability, but every ethos and government form required exactly the same strategy to win (get big, DoW every 10 years to slowly digest the enemy blob).
Possibly to be fixed with traditions / ascensions (although I'm not convinced, unity farming seems only to provide you with new ways to fund your rolling-decade-wars, not "things to do besides rolling decade-wars")

At launch Stellaris WASN'T supposed to have buildable megastructures so I agree this is new, but I don't even like it as a concept. I like my galaxy to be full of unique wonders to make systems distinctive - letting you slap down ringworlds wherever you want just degrades them from wondrous to pedestrian. It's like turning Civ V's Mines of Solomon or Fountain of Youth into a buildable improvement: now, instead of being an amazing prize to drive conflict and go to war over for the entire game, it's just "Eh, whatever".

So with Utopia we have "Basic stuff that should have been in there from the start", and "New stuff that actually destacts from the excitement of exploration".

factions are shit anyway

Do you mean factions 1.4, 1.5, or the whole concept in general?

Whole concept, at least in Stellaris. They're basically rebels, the only way to deal with them is with influence and the only way to stop rebels is to make sure pops are happy in the first place. And factions feel so disconnected to the rest of your empire. It's just tedious.

They never promised any of those things, they said they were planned one way or another

You have absolutely no one to blame if you didnt like launch Stellaris but yourself, you could quite clearly see what it was

>letting you slap down ringworlds wherever you want just degrades them from wondrous to pedestrian
Except they are insanely hard to make, and now an interesting war target. Or even ally. If an AI starts building one it could be beneficial to wait until its done and try to claim it, or protect them as they build it so you have a strong ally later.

You're pretending they are as easy to build as a farm, when we already know it takes at least 10 years just to make one and the resource cost is more than anything else in the game.

I fucking hate it when people like you do this
>Why wasnt EVERYTHING in from the start!
Because deadlines exist, and Paradox had zero fucking clue if Stellaris was even going to be successful. The fact it blew the fuck out of every other space 4x game was a shock to everyone, and is the reason they are now doing all this work to improve it.

Honestly, I think Dyson swarms and spheres are more plausible than FTL. In a century or two, we could began to dissasemble Mercury, Venus, and asteroids and have our first Dyson swarm within 25 or 50 years. The first component would take 10 years. Every other after that goes faster and faster. It's an exponential process.

I like that in 1.5 factions will be more like political parties and demographics. I hope they add events that trigger in mid game because of faction membership changes.

>Except they are insanely hard to make
Nigga by 2400 I'm usually at +2k energy & minerals a month. Unless Utopia increases the mineral / energy storage cap massively, megastructure pieces CAN'T cost more than 20k/10k, which by endgame is chickenfeed.

That it takes 10 years to build is the very definition of "artificial difficulty" - just padding out the process with hard time limits for no good reason. And anyway, I can just build 10 at once in that case.

> >Why wasnt EVERYTHING in from the start! Because deadlines exist, and Paradox had zero fucking clue if Stellaris was even going to be successful
Paradrone plz. Vidya devs managed to make games that had all the advertised features operating functionally on launch date for 30 years before the DLC-nickel-n-dime meme became a thing. Don't try and excuse their incomplete, buggy release version with some white-knight "B-but making vidya is hard, don't b so mean" industry-apologist bullshit.

>Launch Stellaris was supposed to
nobody knew what launch stellaris was supposed to be

What's so good about Stellaris, anyway?

It's the only space empire game with any promise that's been released in the last 5 years.
It's not so much "good" as it is "the only option".

>Vidya devs managed to make games that had all the advertised features operating functionally on launch date for 30 years

youtube.com/watch?v=jW55cViXu6s

fuck mercury, i want that swarm

>just padding out the process with hard time limits for no good reason.

You're not wrong, but that's more of a general problem with Paradox games with no easy fix. Honestly it's more a problem with most grand-strategy/4x. Once you get to a certain point, you've won (this wouldn't be bad if it didn't chronically happen by mid-game.)

They've taken a step in the right direction with making crises actually crisis-tier most of the time, but until they rebalance the War in Heaven and make every in-game crisis possible, late-game will always exist strictly for roleplaying.

Until then, megastructures will have to be used as such. For example, once you unlock ringworlds/dyson spheres, create the challange of making your race not being able to settle on normal planets anymore etc.

Doesn't matter though, because Utopia will never release. Wiz will Jew us all.

Mercury was always the welfare queen of the inner solar system. Venus is Aryan though and should be spared.

damn that axe must be heavy holding it like that

>with any promise

wtf?
Aurora and Distant Worlds are more promising than this shit.
Basically, the only thing Stellaris beats them in is prettier graphics and better UI.
Which counts for a lot with some people, tho.

We're in a deep dark pit when Stellaris is considered an example of "good UI".

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to navigate through four sub-menus of Entirely Generic "Futuristic Turquoise" buttons in order to give my 150 armies their army modules individually by hand.

Yeah, it pisses me off that the UI has exactly the same colour and style every playthrough.
Regardless if you're a rainbow xenophile pacifist or a a blood-soaked genocidal militarist xenophobe.
Not even any little feather decorations if you're an avian species or floating spores if you're a fungoid.
Step it the fuck up Paradox.

dude turquoise lmao

ehhh

that was the least of the game's problems

Fuck you Mercury's great.

>swarms
Yes
>spheres
We will see time travel before one's build.

That's one of the thing Blizzard is good for : details.

And that's why they're the best.

FTL is time travel.

We've been over this. FTL is only time travel if you can travel FTL in real space. Which you cant until proven otherwise. All remotely serious FTL research and fiction works to ditch connection with real space, not to prove Einstein wrong. As my physics prof said: "If during your studies you've found that your results disagree with Einstein in any way, than start from scratch and don't even bother showing them to me.

>implying that Einstein was even close to truth

So if Grey Goo is basically just Starcraft, how's Ashes of the Singularity?

I think it's not so much details but focus. They seem to define their ideas for any given product before they start the dev cycle and only rarely reneg on them no matter how good or bad they are(see hearthstone deck limit). This allows for a more detailed approach by not having to go back and forth between this or that idea and thus lets art team work even if coding and designing isn't really done yet.

On the flip side paradox lives to nicle and dime you with every small idea that comes up during/after development, and so you have a dev envormpent that's great for building and integrating cute subsystems but the moment you start looking at the game as a whole you see that there is very little cohesion between those subsystems. At best they have numbers that tie into each other, but almost never ideas, UI or goals.

>"If during your studies you've found that your results disagree with Einstein in any way, than start from scratch and don't even bother showing them to me.
kek, he sounds pretty cool

Ha, /gsg/ is visiting.
Say hello to the autistic kid, and be nice.

hello

Hello

BRUTAL

Fucking kill.

>10

>autosage
It's sad we need Stellaris to stay alive.

In the land of the blind one eyed man is king.

I for one am still waiting on ES2 release.

Finally someone mentions ES2.
It's like there was no major update today or anything.

Eh, as I said - until they release it I'm not touching it, I think Endless legend is best 4x around but I wouldn't play it w/o DLC cause it was raw as fuck at first.

What's different between Endless Space and Endless Space 2?

One is an under cooked flawed game with dubious combat system that will never get fixed, another is WiP.

Endless Space is still in progress?

>try Company of Heroes again
>pick Infantry Commandant
>decide to try making anti tank obstacles to get the advantage over the German panzer
>discover too late they also double as heavy cover
>lose
I fucking hate that game.

THIS IS THE STELLARIS GENERAL!

fuck off wiz

point:
FTL is real, dyson swarms are fiction

/civ4xg/ please help me create a species with government, traits, habitat preference based on parasite portrait. I've only managed to come up with a name for it: Toxoplasma gondii

Is there a way to search through mod archive wihout looking in every single folder?

Fanatic collectivist, xenophile. Tropical preference. I'm not sure about the government, the bureaucracy one?

/pol/ go away please

retard go away please.

But its my place. Only retards belongs here.
Oh wait...
Is that mean that /pol/ can stay too?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
That can not be true...

I played a bit yesterday but had a lot of work to do.
The Riftborn soundtrack is fucking great.

soundcloud.com/flybyno/across-the-drift-riftborn-theme-demo-version

How in any way was his original post /pol/ related you fucking autist.

Well...
As a /pol/ack myself I smell that pic is related.

autism go away please.

I will be /pol/lite I promise.
Also how you dare to chase autism from autism general lite?

That's the most autistic bullshit I've ever read.

I have more. I will post if you ask nice.
But do not ask as it will bring banhammer on my poor head.

>retards calling everything they don't like "/pol/tard"

That's awesome, thanks! But what about traits? Maybe the one adding Habitability by 10%? Rapid breeders? I'm guessing a parasitic organism would favour population/spread/migration.

/pol/tard

Blame /v/ crossposters

I'm thinking about buying Stellaris on steam for the workshop. Can i pirate the dlcs like in CK2? No way they're worth those fucked up prices

>Can i pirate the dlcs like in CK2?
Yes.
>No way they're worth those fucked up prices
And they're grossly underevaluated.

Yeah, they're pretty easy to pirate.

the dlc are worth it, BUY THEM

Right, it was a dumb question, i see the file structure is the same as CK2 to begin with, and thus probably as easy to use with the purchased steam game

I disagree. That much for 15 new species portraits modders easily make themselves? Random and unexplained AI space stations with no ties to actual species elsewhere?

They put HOURS into that content!

Cheeky bastard, now i understand

Do you respectfully disagree with Paradox's policy?

>I'm thinking about buying Stellaris on steam for the workshop
Not worth it, 10min you spent looking for alternative download link aren't worth supporting paradox.

I've played stellaris for, what 50 hours now? And that's not counting the hundreds of hours in HoI, vicky, EU since 2 and so on. I like paradox. I don't like the individual people or their policies like mod forum nazism shit, but they've consistently given me time drains so far.

I gave up when i saw how horrible the mod archives here was. I appreciate the effort, but that archive needs work and organization.

>liking Vicky
I think I tried it. Isn't that the game where your population is shared between peasants, workers, cultured fags and the master race?
I didn't even finish the tutorial, there was so much to learn I gave up immediately.

Yeah, in terms of learning curve it's EU = CK > HoI >>> Vicky
Vicky is a special kind of autism game.

>Mod has potential but it'll never be fully realized because authors are too busy making ugly loading screens and copy paste ships
>Comment section for mod is just a big circlejerk instead of actual criticism because the authors are thin skinned and can't take the fact they made a mistake

What mod famalam?

>putting EU and CK on the same ground
I can do fine in EU (read "if I lose, it's my fault and I understand why"), but CK keeps eluding me.

Sounds to me you're talking about every mod ever. I remember a mod for Mount and Blade who was pretty cool but worked for maybe 25% of the people who tried it.
The dev's answer? "I don't give a damn, I made it for me first."

New Ship Classes. They really shit the bed with the most recent update and it's bugging the hell out of me because it seems like they're more focused over the drama than listening to feedback and balancing things out. At least they seem to be fixing bugs but all the new content has been trash aside from that.

CK is kinda RNG in some aspects (Quality of heirs, illness, events) but it's actually kinda shallow once you start seeing the mechanics behind everything. Great game with some top of the line mods though, best mods i've seen.

I honestly would like CK2 a lot more if I could play with my usual anime characters.
And if the game was less random. T'is the reason I prefer EU4, there's less randomness. Like, you send a diplomat to raise relations, it'll be constant. Not a dice throwing each month.
I once had a diplomat away for years trying to improve my relation with William The Conqueror.