/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

zaineashe.tumblr.com/post/158736838556/so-ive-gotten-about-halfway-through-lisa-the
mega.nz/#!sgtjDRaR!A_gvDQJ9LQiPX3g2aVBRPHLcImX9EemKcZdWZQlWwdU
thefreebundle.com/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885233965
youtube.com/watch?v=EQRXAMX5dFw
steamcommunity.com/app/481510/discussions/0/135512305403930101/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice.

>NT update never

>finally got trails in the sky 2
>there's transfer bonuses
Oh boy, time to hunt down that old save data.

Huh, how's Uurnogg?

Is Hollow Knight as good as Egg makes it out to be?

Remind me never to buy another game by Vlambeer again.

I haven't watched NL play it, but yes. God yes. It's easily the best Metroidvania in recent years.

pretty good. Like Nifflas' usual stuff but funkier and physics-ier. Short though.

Gregg wants to be a swan and fly high into the sky

I've actually bought two, I bought their fishing phone game

Gregg and Angus were the best part of that game

just played lisa the joyful. well that was a fucking letdown.

I heard. I got to see some Argus scenes but most of my time was spent with Bea

Kinda, yeah.

But it was just DLC to wrap things up.

>when you make a Tera Bomb

Indie games really liked to reference each other.

Awkward.

To be fair that's an optional collect-a-thon achievement thing but yeah they sure did like to do that. Meat Boy most commonly I feel.

It's pretty damn good.

zaineashe.tumblr.com/post/158736838556/so-ive-gotten-about-halfway-through-lisa-the

I thought this fansong was pretty good, even though the text is kind of weird.

>I cannot stop thinking about the soundtrack. The music is so intentionally ugly that it becomes memorable. The sounds are aggressive and jarring, but there’s thought put into how aggressive and jarring it needs to be. It reflects what the game has to say about toxic masculine behaviors, and their inherent roots in male insecurity. These kinds of soundtrack metaphors are so god-damn resonant that it leaves me inspired to action.

>#this is the primary takeaway of lisa the painful:#real actual self awareness is the only way to bridge the gap between the percieved self and the actual self#and that self awareness usually comes through humility and self care#two things that ever character in lisa LACKS IN DROVES

I'm not exactly sure what "toxic masculinity" actually is, but I guess a game where almost every male character is an idiotic thug or a potential rapist would appeal to someone who uses that type of language.

>Edmund made fat bombs and butter trinket
>They have the worst sprites of all the items added
Why

>toxic masculinity
Feminist term basically saying "the negative aspects of masculinity". What exactly is negative is left up to the imagination.

Relatively moderately: violence, machismo, aggression in speech

In the deep end: everything (including holding doors for women)

>I'm not exactly sure what "toxic masculinity" actually is

the bad parts of common masculinity, it's a complicated term and its better to provide examples than to list terminology.

it was a different time

>I'm not exactly sure what "toxic masculinity" actually is
Imagine a stereotypical dudebro frat guy and that's about your baseline, if you even go for this kind of concept in any case

I really wish it wasn't a thing (not refercing indie games, but referencing specific games like original HiB ones), it puts indie marketing pioneers on a somewhat undeserved pedestal
Though Dust is forgiven for being relatively old game, and not many games do this today anyway

Back then the indie genre was still in that transition phase between being relatively small-time and being the bigger bloated market it is now, so while Braid and Meat Boy and all that were huge and doing well, the scene was still "small" and thus more close-knit. It's natural in a smaller sort of "community" that collabs and references between different creators happen, thus stuff like that in Dust or other games.

It still happens now and then today with stuff like Shovel Knight, but in general it's become its own actual industry rather than a community, so you either don't or can't get the same kind of stuff put in games.

>It's natural in a smaller sort of "community" that collabs and references between different creators happen, thus stuff like that in Dust or other games.
So with which developers of referenced games did Dust developer collaborate or even interact? I'm pretty sure those are just tributes and not a result of "community" being "close-knit"

I'm sure he at least got their permission to include their likenesses. Characters from a whole bunch of different games isn't exactly something you can just throw into a game you sell without permission.

Asking for permission to reference some other game doesn't mean being in same circle with the author of said game

Also
>Characters from a whole bunch of different games isn't exactly something you can just throw into a game you sell without permission
IANAL, but this probably falls under fair use

>want to replay underrail
>expansion soon
>don't want to get burned out of the game
what do i do?
also, what's the dealio with the two headed mutie anyway?

Anyone have a download of Pointless?
I tried getting it off gamejolt but the site would never load for some reason.

Is the new age of 3D platformers upon us?

I'll upload it to mega and post the link.

Awesome,
thanks in advance!

Are there more than Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time coming out? Because two games a new age doesn't make

Snake Pass

mega.nz/#!sgtjDRaR!A_gvDQJ9LQiPX3g2aVBRPHLcImX9EemKcZdWZQlWwdU

I've figured out how they make 90% of the Isaac dailies.
They choose a random character, then just hit reset until they get a vaguely interesting run.

Are you sure it's hand curated it all? It'd be trivial to create a seed based on the current date.

Some of them start you with an item, and the ones that don't (like today's, where you get a couple of bomb things and Pyromaniac) often have a simple theme.
Plus they have to decide where the run ends anyway, to avoid shit runs that require killing Megastan or something.

>intentionally making starting floors with zero bombs and multiple tinted rocks

I don't want to believe.

Dust is not exactly indie with MS as publisher. Still close enough and a good game.

There are indie games with big publishers, because they got noticed before releasing, but still kept their small operations for the actual dev process.

I personally would still call that indie...

>that music
Only vaguely like LISA/10

Hm that is an interesting approach. By the classic definition being independant is all about being selfpublished versus having a publisher.
I agree that this is a grey area when the development is barely touched.

Dust was originally going to be released on the 360's channel specifically for indie games, but it won a contest in 2009 and got the right to be published on Live Arcade via MS. The guy also self-published it on the PS4. So Dust isn't really a game with a publisher so much as a distributor on certain platforms and only because it won an award.

You mean fast bombs?
And because Edmund is a hack. The literal only game he's put out for years now is Isaac. He has no idea what it takes to make a good game and would rather just fuck with everyone than do anything good.

It is published by ms studios on most systems.

>what do i do?
Wait. And pray that the expansion comes out this year.

>also, what's the dealio with the two headed mutie anyway?
It's a coming of age ritual. When someone aspiring to be a scavenger becomes old enough, their station will send them out to hunt the mythical mutant with two heads. Upon completing this spiritual journey, they are welcomed back into their community as adults.

This tradition is generally frowned upon in the North, where sending potentially productive young members of society on a "fool's errand" is considered "barbaric" and "utterly derailed".

The epic saga continues!

Psychonauts 2

Oh god what have I done...

>When your world gen just decides "Hey, fuck you" and generates Crimson right at the tip of your Snow Biome within a few hundred blocks of spawn and puts a sheer drop into a desert that will kill you on the other side

Fuck me.

Just dig your way.

I TOLD YOU

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE WHO HARASS CHICKENS

When you've got money you don't need to Actually Make Games

I'm lazy when it comes to really early game, so I remade cause I can't be assed to build a safe stairwell down since no ropes in the pots.

Still doesn't mean they're not random
Obviously if you generate a run every day, you'll get a "theme" randomly at some point

A lot of indie games that have been released on Xbox have MS as a publisher. Limbo, Spelunky, Braid, etc. all have MS as a publisher

>tfw you want to play a title but it's Early Access
>tfw today is the release date of Battle Brothers

Turn based, low-fantasy, challenging. Can't wait.

The key is not publishing itself but who's financing the project and thus calling the shots. As long as the creative control and the intellectual property is still in the hands of the original developer, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to call it indie.

Yea I meant fast bombs
I guess you could say I fat fingered it :^)

>omega penny gets nerfed
I love all this unnecessary balancing in a single player game.

Unnerf my nigga Cain

Steakmund loves making things useless.

BATTLE BROTHERS

>Pretty new mod adds this
That synergy with the Crow Heart tho.
>Have a bunch of Red Hearts, 1-3 Soul Hearts, Crow Heart Trinket, and this
>Can afford to play like total shit cause you'll empty out all your blood and then this will trigger while you're at 1/2 Heart and lose your last Soul Heart

He's too good for modern Isaac.

I have no idea why when there's already so many useless items and characters in the game.

thefreebundle.com/
Will this ever see a new bundle?

Sup Veeky Forums
I make a game based on famous Russian urban legend about teen suicide. Check it out on greenlight:

After returning from school, 12-year old Midori Popova receives a message on the social network from a stranger. He invites her to play the "Blue Whale", a deadly game, at the end of which Midori should become a whale...
On 10 February 10, 2017, 400 blue whales were thrown ashore in New Zealand. Most of them died.
Annually about 800000 people commit suicide. Most of them are teenagers.
It's enough to use this hashtag and you have already participated in a suicidal game, a terrible quest on the internet, because of which hundreds of teenagers all over the world end with themselves.
But what is the "Blue Whale"? A death trap? City legend? Or just a child's play?
Immerse yourself in the heart of the teenage girl's story, go through with her the trials of a stranger, find yourself in nightmares, uncover the secrets of the Quiet House.

BlueWhale - 2d-horror adventure
-exciting plot
-existential atmosphere
- surreal dreams
- topic of teenage suicide
- collectible cards

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885233965

youtube.com/watch?v=EQRXAMX5dFw

indieddery

Looks nice, is there a playable version already?

No, but I'm working on it right now.

>this portrait is the only one that somehow resembles the male player model
>it's a female portrait
>female model doesn't resemble it
>there is no portrait that resembles the female model

Just kill me.

Draw your own avatar.

The best I can draw is a stick figure, so that isn't going to help my autism.

Weird that Cave Story doesnt get that many references

A publisher coming in post development with marketing money is no different than kickstarting a game.

>toxic masculinity
Black hood culture, chav culture, cholo culture

I miss when steakmund was less retarded.
Or at least had somebody filtering him.

So can the transmogrifier/conjurer not produce the ring of becoming, or do I just have terrible luck?

How did they nerf Crooked Penny?

It can, but I think the odds of it showing up are based off of whether or not it was ever spawned somewhere in the dungeon prior to coming to the shop.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't showed up yet, but it might've been in something like a boss chest that I didn't choose

Now that buddy in a box is in the actual game I should actually put in the effort to fix all the co-op babies. It's going to take forever. Why are so many so sloppy. Random missing pixels and so many without double outlines.
Also
>This baby didn't get added. Sad.

What a champ.

It doesn't double empty pedestals anymore.

I heard they updated night in the woods or something, What does the update include?

Checked the steam announcement page for it or the forums?

Not seeing too much information yet.

>"you sent the golem"
>mfw "the golem"
>allsmiles.jpg

I think that would count since items seem to "spawn" regardless of whether or not you open the chest. In that case you'd have to shell out enough cash to cycle through the entire ring pool before it shows up again.

>Gengar DSL
I shouldn't want but
Want

steamcommunity.com/app/481510/discussions/0/135512305403930101/
Welp no info at all. Maybe the dev can be reached on twitter or dropped info on their own site.

I feel like this exact line would get angry tweets in a modern game.

It's looks nice, how's your current progress on it?

is this a girl (male) or what