Kelley Blue Book is telling me the fair market price for the car I'm looking for in my area is $7...

Kelley Blue Book is telling me the fair market price for the car I'm looking for in my area is $7,000 less than the lowest sticker price I can find online. Am I really expected to haggle with these people for 8 hours to chip the price down by $7,000?

Never bought a car on my own. Be gentle.

KBB is like a stop signs and no left turn on red arrows. They're more like a guideline rather than a rule.

So should I aim for haggling them down $5,000 or something

From 31k, btw

No, it doesn't sound like KBB knows the fair market price. If everyone in your market is a minimum of $7,000 higher than what KBB is saying, what makes you think you'll be able to haggle $5,000 off the price? Sounds like the market is about $7,000 higher than what you think it is, or are wishing it was.

Perhaps but I'm getting the same figure from Edmuns

Aren't these supposed to be reliable price guides ffs

No they aren't always right.

What car, what area? Post some ads we'll take a look.

What type of car is this you're looking at?

They give "fair market value." The US is a huge market, so prices are going to vary.

For shitbox example, take a 99 Jeep Cherokee. Take that somewhere south and you probably couldn't give it away. But in the North, particularly northwest, upper Great Lakes and Northeast regions and people will pay you actual money for it. Depending on mileage/condition, anywhere from $3500-5000 for it. Again, just as an example.

Sounds like a few years ago when Miatas were literally worthless on KBB, but selling for a lot more on the actual market.

Basically, if someone comes in haggling with KBB as their only ammunition, I dismiss them immediately.

KBB is dumb. When I bought my 4runner last summer, late 4th gens in this region were going for $17-20k while KBB had them priced around $12-13k

Exactly. This is what I mean when I say they're guidelines, not rules. Like other user said, if you're coming in off the street with KBB in your hand, a salesman is pretty much going to laugh at you. And I guarantee they already know that every other dealership in the region is at or near their price.

I'm not sayin' you won't be able haggle with them, OP. I am sayin' that if you can't stretch a bit closer to bridge that $7,000 gap, then you should probably just move on or save up a bit longer.

Jeep Wrangler Sport, Las Vegas area

It's telling me fair market is ~$24000

So in your opinion, what's a better justification to knock the price down aside form "I can't afford it"

2017, also

You're gonna have a hard time getting 5 grand off a car made this year

lol

>Other similar cars on the market are priced at $xxxx
>Based on the condition of your car, it's only worth $xxxx
>You've been posting the same ad for 2 months

These may all backfire, but they're your only option. Sellers can shut down basically any negotiation you bring at any time, even if they're bad reasons/wrong entirely.

>So go buy one of those ones then
>So go find one in better condition
>And someone will eventually pay my price for it

etc.

They suck. All of them. The best way to figure out ACTUAL price in your area is go to sites like ebay, CL, auto trader etc. and plug in some parameters with a small range (year, miles, options, etc.) and see what the average price looks like.

For example KBB has GOOD condition 300zx twin turbos at $3k. LOL good luck with that. It has VERY good at $4k. Try TRIPLE that price in the real world. A good non turbo will run you $4-$6k. A good Turbo is $6-$9k. A VERY good one is $10-$15k.

What car?

That's pretty accurate. Why the fuck are you buying new though? You could get a higher trim level used one for the same price.

Jeep Wranglers of all years are priced retarded, you're better off finding someone who knows jeeps/offroad shit to help you figure out the fucky market for those damn things.

It's one of the few cars worth buying new. It's literally a worse market than the Subaru WRX and 70s/80s pickup trucks.

lol. KBB is telling you MSRP for the bare bottom base model. Add that you're in the Vegas desert mountains with basically an off road convertible. Good luck, kiddo.

Just buy used.

KBB is trash tier.