/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11220/dells-32-inch-8k-up3218k-display-now-for-sale
github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/2636
wavebeam.blogspot.com/2017/03/wavebeam-nes-palette.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Wjlf3osI7pU
youtube.com/watch?v=aYe0N3ARAFw
mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=353026&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIQ#From_YIQ_to_RGB
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for SP embezzling patreon bux

Don't mind me. I'm just saving N64 emulation by ignoring all the naysayers and creating a plugin that is already more accurate than Nintendo's own emulators.

>that is already more accurate than Nintendo's own emulators.
Not a high bar to cross
What plugin is that?

GLideN64.

Yes, thread will be dead without this:

16:40 none of these emulator makers are ever going to get a single cent from me

17:01 I mean you have some cocksucker like that on reddit who talks shit about us earning $800 a month
17:01 $800 isn’t fucking jack shit
17:01 a streamer can make $800 in a day
17:01 not a month

17:04 fuck it
17:04 we start our own company; we make our own FPGA box, our own low-cost ARM Linux box
17:05 the FPGA box will be the more fancy one with added value, the low-cost ARM Linux box is just the regular thing like all these guys have excep far better build quality
17:06 the ARM linux box will be the cheap one

19:27 < ScHlAuChi> what happens with the other 650?
19:28 $150 goes towards a buildbot server
19:28 another $50 towards other hosting costs
19:28 honestly dude not a lot remains
19:28 and frankly
19:28 it’s none of your business either
19:29 honestly dude
19:29 you are busting my balls over fucking $800 per month
19:29 when a streamer makes that in a day

Why would you emulate SH2?

because the PC port is bad

Why not?

A terrible PC port is still almost always better than the alternatives.

>PCSX2
Come on now

>A terrible PC port is still almost always better than the alternatives.

Are you retarded?

He probably is
Or he just has a shitty PC

No, are you?

Seriously, Dark Souls is the perfect example
>worst PC port ever conceived by man
>even without mods is objectively superior to consoles in every possible way

I actually know for SH3
>fucked up shadows
>no DoF
>low res and stretched menus, maps, text, etc
The ability to run on a Pentium 4 isn't a downside either.

>Dark Souls
>worst PC port ever conceived by man
>even without mods is objectively superior to consoles in every possible way

So you have no fucking clue what you're talking about and are only going by shit you saw posted on /v/. Good to know.

It was hyperbole calling it the worst PC port ever, but it still is objectively superior to consoles in every possible way.

I don't get why you have to be so autistic.

Which one?

>in every possible way

The only way it's superior is framerate doesn't tank in blighttown. That's it. And there's plenty of games that have ports that are way worse than the console versions, from unstable crashing pieces of shit to ports based on the worst console version they can find (musou games), and that's recent games, shit was way worse back in the 90s and early 00s.

I sure like jaypeg

You forgot the killer feature: in multiplayer the PC version would use your character name, not your account handle. Console babies btfo.

Right but with a deeper blue sky. The purple sky is caused by blue being clipped because the NES NTSC blue color is out of range for sRGB. This is why 100% accurate palettes are impossible.

>2. The Super Mario Brothers "blue sky color". In this case, the voltage level on the blue channel sent from the original NES consoles falls outside the range of analog RGB. A maximum RGB value of 255 on the blue is only about 75% of the strength of the blue needed to reproduce the color you see from the composite NES feed. In this case, there was no choice but to set the blue channel at 255, and approximate the hue and brightness with the remaining red and green channels. This color will always look dull compared to composite NES, and there's no getting around that. It's either retain the brightness of the color as best as possible, or lose the brightness level in favor of saturation, in which case, the color becomes considerably darker than it is supposed to appear. There are a couple of other color entries right near this blue color on the NES palette that suffer from the same out-of-range blue voltage, but the effect is considerably less noticable.

So basically we need wide gamut monitors to reproduce NES colors accurately

Any reports on Ryzen performance?
I could check /g/ all day for their wars but CPUs are literally only for emulators in my use, so your opinions are alot more relevant

anandtech.com/show/11220/dells-32-inch-8k-up3218k-display-now-for-sale

Think of the possibilities for CRT shaders!

I'm glad this was only 11 seconds because if it were a bigger waste of time with nothing interesting going on, I'd be mad.

Nobody cares about you.

Is it possible on 10 bits per pixel?

10 bits per pixel gives your more precision but what matters is the gamut. You could have 10 bits per pixel in a sRGB gamut, it just means that you could have more granularity in your colors (i.e. you could have more intermediary colors in grandients) without actually increasing the gamut.

What you want is high dynamic range.

It's not.

>Not a high bar to cross
I know right?

>creating a plugin that is already more accurate than Nintendo's own emulators.
GLideN64 has a long way to go. They can't even fix microcode issues that have been there for years.

what game

I think that's Predator 2.

I lost my virginity to a beautiful girl and lost my dad to cancer. One of these was awesome and done quick, the other not so much...

Why do people shill GLideN64 as if it's accurate, when ParaLLEl is far more accurate?

You think losing your dad to cancer was awesome? You need help.

wat game?

>And as you're fully aware, the problem lies in Quake 64's abnormal buffer swapping method.
The real problem is GOnetz lacking the ability to write proper code for these things.

>when ParaLLEl is far more accurate
Parallel is an unfinished meme that has more issues than GLideN64 despite its constant regressions

Gekidou Advance.

>has more issues than GLideN64
I'm very skeptical of that claim. Its depth buffer emulation is very inaccurate. Meanwhile games like Body Harvest just work in ParaLLEl.

>Parallel is an unfinished meme that has more issues than GLideN64 despite its constant regressions
GLideN64's progress is slow, despite having multiple contributors. I get the feeling ParaLLEl may receive progress in the near future. Especially if SP is willing to collaborate with certain devs.

>I get the feeling ParaLLEl may receive progress in the near future
Just like the PPSSPP core
Any day now

>Especially if SP is willing to collaborate with certain devs
You mean zilmar?
He knows fuck all about graphical plugins. In a way the plugin architecture was a great blessing to him.

bump

This is what CRT-Royale looks like at 8k

why are like half the iso's from emuparadise broken now?

Looks like shit, desu.

looks like pixel art

That's the Gamecube version

>You mean zilmar?
not in particular. There are other devs capable of putting in work. Mudlord is one example.

It would help if someone ported ParaLLEl RDP to other emulators. It's not ideal to be forced to use M64p core + cxd4's RSP interpreter.

>He knows fuck all about graphical plugins
I'm sure he's capable of learning.

>CEMU eventually crashes upon starting up Mario Kart 8
>this happens when a certain amount of shader cache is built up
>don't want to periodically delete shader cache because that just defeats the purpose
>i don't use graphics packs
What the fuck do I do?

Ask for a refund

Don't support closed source emulators. It's almost as bad as supporting a degenerate like SP.

Actually I don't think that it's a shader cache thing since it crashed after I cleared the cache

The only variable I can think of is that I restarted my PC recently.

>Ryzen
heard its single core performance was underwhelming as fuck, so not good

kek

wut happen?

Bought a i7 7700k, no regrets.

Can almost play Higan snes accuracy at full speed.

Seriously though I love my i7.

Better than 2500k.

1/2

Hmm, something doesn't add up here... Bleeding Edge NOT as up-to-date as nightlies?

no, the bleeding edge are the real updates

nightlies are the improvements of BE but now tested

2/2

Here's my view of the master branch. Seems reasonable to me.

Latest commit that got merged was already apart of BE.

Ah, I see; I guess it would be clearer if they added the commit hashes to the BE listing as well. Then we could see them go from BE to Nightlies.

I own FOUR 3ds systems. Fuck assholes like this always crying about pirates and trying to make an emulator worse than it needs to be.

github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/2636

>if you want to emulate a system but don't own the system, you can go fuck yourself ;)
Sometimes I wonder if these people ever realize how retarded the things they say are

Why is the audio plugin in PCSX2 so terrible?

New PCSX2 when? I heard it's going to be a decent improvement

Probably whenever they decide to release 1.5.0. It's been getting a ton of commits since they started working on it months and months ago. Just up to the devs, I guess.

The current Ryzen CPUs are not good for emulation because they're 8 cores, not meant for this kind of task. They're good as workstations

If you want to check you should wait now in April for the 4-6 core ones that have more powerful single cores. Dunno if they're going to be good or not but that's what you should ask about if you're into gayming

Does anyone have a CEMU download that runs zelda?

Also according to /g/ ASUS motherboards are shit so avoid those I guess.

wait for after 2 april, Cemu 1.7.4 looks like it fixed tons of bugs, while 1.7.3 running BotW is a glitchfest

whats wavebeam?

I thought it was fine? The one that isn't released yet except for patreon people is 1.7.3 right?

Another new palette

wavebeam.blogspot.com/2017/03/wavebeam-nes-palette.html

1.7.3 doesn't have working physics, no water, no grass, models fall through the ground and more

also you can't finish the game in 1.7.3, need a save to get it working, not sure if those issues will be fixed with 1.7.4

youtube.com/watch?v=Wjlf3osI7pU

youtube.com/watch?v=aYe0N3ARAFw

Oh I thought it did.

I think they're going straight for 1.6

Consumer still reigns supreme. Can't improve upon perfection.

Hoh? That's news to me. Still would be nice for the devs to find a way to get DA1/2 working smoothly.

x.odd is dev builds, x.even is release.

you're insane or retarded.

why the fuck would you think it would play a game that released a week ago?

Why?

What is Dolphins current plans to resolve the shader stutter issue?

That's the N64 version.

W-what are you talking about dolphin is the best emulator reddit told me so!!

You know what the real problem with this community is? People like you seem to like TALKO more than fixing the stuttering in Dolphin.

You know what would help emulation? Fixing the stuttering in your worthless emulator instead of WRITING ESSAYS about videos on Reddit.

Geezus™

FBX Composite is a joke. Producing too dark colors at times. The Super Mario and Zelda logos are terrible. And it produces purple skies in Mario. All that obsession and what does it produce? A sub-standard product.

FCEUX is alright, if a bit over saturated.

Consumer just hits all the right points.

Wavebeam seems allright too.

The Cutting Room Floor requires that all uploaded NES screenshots be taken using the "officially-sanctioned" NTSC palette for consistency's sake.

>FBX Composite is a joke. Producing too dark colors at times. The Super Mario and Zelda logos are terrible. And it produces purple skies in Mario. All that obsession and what does it produce? A sub-standard product.

It's the literal color output of a NES connected to a XRGB Framemeister on a LCD. So basically you are saying that the accurate NES colors are bad and you want to improve them.

It's not accurate when shown on a computer monitor.

>It's the literal color output of a NES connected to a XRGB Framemeister on a LCD.

Look at me not care what some obsessive nerd made or how he thinks that the output of the console has any bearing on the actual colors on screen. The tv used has a huge bearing on that. Looking at just the output is a fallacy. Consumer has produced the right colors forever and it's based on a real world tv as well. That's as accurate as you're gonna get. And it's close to the type of tv used in Japan that would have been close to what many devs would have used to test.

lol wut.

XRGB Frameister outputs the same signal as a PC does to an LCD. Showing it on a computer monitor would have zero effect on color accuracy.

The title screen of Zelda 1 on the Gamecube collection. Curious what pallete it is.

Did you make these palettes since you seem obsessively defensive about this shit.

I'm running an overclocked Ryzen 1700x @ 3.9GHz all cores, was using a 4790k @ 4.4GHz previously

Haven't run into any major emulation slowdowns thus far.

Ace Combat 5 keeps a constant 60FPS/100% in PCSX2 at the same settings I was using before, Cemu runs MK8 at 100% speed most of the time (with a downloaded shader cache), and DOSbox-Daum can run Quake I software rendering at 130+ fps (around 60fps at 640x480). 86Box can run most games with PMMX-166 emulation (or faster, I have Sim Theme Park running at 100% speed emulating a PMMX-233). So far so good.

>. Consumer has produced the right colors forever and it's based on a real world tv as well

Consumer is based on a particular brand of Sony TV that had a particular decoder IC that used a different YIQ to RGB conversion matrix than what was standard in most sets.

mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=353026&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Most consumer TVs used a decoder IC that used YIQ to RGB close to what the FCC mandated in the NTSC standard. This matrix will produce the dark colors on NES that you seem to dislike.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIQ#From_YIQ_to_RGB

Note that most of these "accurate" palettes were assuming a calibrated hue and saturation, since NTSC signals have no control over those unlike PAL. Chances are, your TV was probably not calibrated and so will look different than what would be considered "accurate".