/domg/ - Dominions general

It depends edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=aBoneToPick
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sauce on op pic is parantural.net/comic

What are the most fun factions to play in the Middle ages?

Oceania, Ermor

Ulm is fun

Battle Brother just got out of early access, fortunately I've done all my turns already.
See you later /domg/

Bumping for justice.

What's a good counter to 30 AI fiends of darkness? They look pretty strong all around. Maybe a Poison Res SC?

Ulm, Agartha, and C'tis

Nazca

Why oceania? Do you enjoy being rushed by Pelagia?

>50 hours in the game
>only learned recently that you can give gems to your wizards to help in battle
I wish I had a fetish for being humiliated and feeling like an idiot.

Banishment spam/demon cleansing with a line of poison resistant chaff, like long dead.

>50 hours in
>actually using mages
You're doing better than me at least :V

>20 hours in
>still relying on my normal commanders and armies to fight
>still hasn't gotten the habit of using mages
At least I use longdeads. That's an improvement.

>You had a sub and then you fucked up by being a jackass.
Reread the whole conversation again. Those messages didn't look serious in any way, I check Steam anyway and get a message that looks like another joke, so of course I get pissed.
> Even if it was malakal and you wanted to rat him out you could have just sent everyone but him a message in game.
I don't care about your stupid fucking e-celeb memes. Fucking kill yourself.

Its a kinda bad situation where you have to start basically from scratch bar having an army and some mages/provinces. But everyone else should be miles ahead.

You don't get to bitch about eceleb memes when they're trying to avoid identifying themselves and you go ahead and post who they are. That's your fault, you fucking moron.

Wait, you can? What does it do?

What's going on? Some admin retard kicked a dude from a game?

>You don't get to bitch about eceleb memes when they're trying to avoid identifying themselves and you go ahead and post who they are.
I wasn't aware that he actually planned to sub. Nothing posted was an indication of a serious request.
>That's your fault, you fucking moron.
It is, but fuck you.

No. Retard admin needed a sub. Somebody offered to sub, but asked to meet in steamchat because they didn't want everyone to see their email and know who they were. Retard admin met them in chat, and then posted a screenshot in thread revealing their identity.
They changed their mind about subbing, and retard admin is now throwing a fit about how hard it is to get a sub, e-celebs, etc.

What the fuck.
What kind of fucking dumb retard does that kind of stupid shit?

t. Malakal

>Nothing posted was an indication of a serious request.
You mean apart from him offering to sub? Should he have made a solemn oath or something?

t. Malakal

Mages can use gems to increase their level in the corresponding magic path, cast the big battlemagic spells (many can't be cast without gems), and reduce fatigue on regular spells.

Now go. Go and be victorious.

That's kind of pretty much a big deal. So if I give 30 gems to my mage, I basically make him level max until the end of the fight?

Yeah, that's totally how it went down.
Thanks for the oversimplification.

>Heeeey come to the steam chat
>I was there? WTF
>hellokitty email jokes
Not like that.

Not really. Mages can only spend gems equal to their paths+any buffs they have. This doesn't apply to communions, which have their own fucked up rules.

So an N3E1 wanting to cast Mass Protection would spend 1 gem to increase their N to 4, making it possible to cast the spell. Then he spends the 1 to actually cast the spell. Then he can spend 1 gem to cast it at half fatigue. If this N3E1 cast Strength of Gaia first, then he casts the spell for 1 and spends 3 to reduce his fatigue to 25.

An N9 can cast any N spell in battle for basically 1 fatigue with 27 gems, but only 3 times

>So an N3E1 wanting to cast Mass Protection would spend 1 gem to increase their N to 4, making it possible to cast the spell. Then he spends the 1 to actually cast the spell. Then he can spend 1 gem to cast it at half fatigue. If this N3E1 cast Strength of Gaia first, then he casts the spell for 1 and spends 3 to reduce his fatigue to 25.
>An N9 can cast any N spell in battle for basically 1 fatigue with 27 gems, but only 3 times
Some people play for fun. Others want to relax.
SOME PEOPLE JUST WANT GAMES TO SHIT MATH IN THEIR MOUTHS 'TIL THEY LOVE IT

>not reading the manual before doing all those retarded things

>Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.
Just wait until you're working out the % chance of your blockers surviving hits from a W9D9N9 Ermor based on their defense, prot and MR drns vs their attack and penetration. While counting squares to know on what turn they will reach your blockers so that you can know if they will have their double AP from W9 or not, and also if they will be in range of your evospamming mages, which you are also calculating the likelihood of actually killing the sacreds and how likely they are to kill your blockers, while also trying desperately to test out how Fear works because no one knows and your opponent has Fear causing troops massed and you really need to know if your blockers are going to rout and leave your mages at the tender mercies of the skeleton menace.

That's for one battle.

For future reference, Mass Protection is N3 in vanilla.

>wait until you're working out the % chance of your blockers surviving hits from a W9D9N9 Ermor based on their defense, prot and MR drns vs their attack and penetration
Stopped reading there because my brain already overheated.

That game needs to make it to Awesome Games Done Quick. I want to see total optimization, tool-assisted speedrun, and RNG manipulation to determine the indies' strength and the magical sites.

It was Malakal. It's only fair to let everyone know who they're playing against.

The game does tell you whether your mages can cast spells or not, the scripting screen will show spells in red if you don't have enough gems to cast them. Calculating fatigue isn't that necessary, it's manly for communions. You can eyeball the majority of things in this game without trouble.
t. never did any drn calculation for anything ever

What the fuck is a communion. Can I just throw longdeads at the enemy until everything is dead?

Sure, it's one of the better tactics in the game, just don't expect it to work forever.

Just use high Mr morale 30 troops if you're facing fear+D9.
I can't use inspector right now but stuff like Claymen and demons come to mind

MAdman admin can you delete C'tis.

I changed my mind, about nations but not the game itself.

also, why doesn't Llama have a way for me to delete my own nation out of the game?
I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to implement something like that, right?

t. MA Ermor

Sure you can. And I can just evo or banishment spam you to death. Or summon some elementals.

>implying AI is smart enough for that

>implying players are smart enough for that

Man I wish I wasn't Vanarus

What's the best formation for archers? Do they perform better at all in a line?

It depends.

There are literally an infinite amount of formation tactics you can make. Also depends on what kind of archers.

I like my archers to be shooting all times so make sure they're within range of the enemy. Formations shouldn't really matter unless they're really short ranged like javelins or something. Sometimes enemy mages can route archers with magic so I would prefer they have a lot of morale.

smaller squads so that they can potentially fire at different squads on the field

Looks like the game continues.

Does anybody have any vision on R'yleh? He's not stalling, but I'm somehow worried he might be submitting empty turns, because he doesn't seem to be doing much in his position as the only real UW nation with Atlantis gone.

I will also need a 4 hour extension, since I won't come home before night tomorrow. Hope you don't mind.

Let's say I'm using longbows screened by tower defenders, then.

No idea what you mean by "screened". Are your archers defending or attacking?

Either way it's pretty simple for longbow since they have long range. Like
breaking them up into smaller squads can do some effective spread of arrows but again that depends on the type of enemy you're facing. Just putting those dudes in the back to "Fire archers, largest, closest" in that precedence should be fine. Having intel on your enemy's formation and tactics will help vastly. Formation wise it's pretty useful to use sparse if you know the enemy has ranged attacks like spells or archers. Otherwise clumping them up in a box can same some routes.

Yea the admin said that if I decide not to sub the game will most likely be over and I didnt want that to happen for you guys.

t. Malacute!

Man I wish you had mentioned what nation you were.

Alkonosts are H3, and Bereginas can get up to W5 with bracelets/robes, otherwise, indy priests

To be honest it was a dumb move to speak in the steamchat in the first place. Just give him the email and no other person would ever given a shit. Malakal you know that you can start 1:1 conversation in steam by meeting in groupchat and clickin his name?

Well not exactly over, but it would basically come down to one out of 2-3 players just snowball to victory unopposed.

Games currently recruiting that I know of:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=aBoneToPick
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain

I mean that tower defenders are standing in front of the longbows so that melee troops can't get to them.

Still no idea wtf tower defenders are unless they're from a mod. I know there are tower guards and knights.

Anyways it's basically the same thing as above. I like to put the archers 2-3 paces behind the front liners so that way they can avoid some arrows, but while having maximum space between the enemy army. Sometimes you can put the archers way back if you are confident of your formations.

Formations and tactics are 100% it depends, there's no way around it.

they're actually just called defenders, sorry. Think tower guards, but better stats across the board and heavier armor.

So I encountered a feeble-minded solar disc with an axe of hate and was compelled to make a shitty MS Paint of him.

Pretty spooky desu

Why is the documentation in this game so fucking shit
why does a game as old as this now decent guides for all nations yet

The few guides that are out are somewhat outdated.

>>llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain
Hey admin - is this open to anons, or do we need to sign up in yon steam thread?

>stale for 5 turns
>higher domscore than before

What even is happening in this game?

t. you-know-who

how to ma jotun?
Dominate forests for max hag production
N9 shrouded werewolves
N9 communion batteries
B9 mass summons
???????

what is traditional playstyle and what innovations can I look into?

>Dominate forests for max hag production
>N9 shrouded werewolves
>N9 communion batteries

Congratulations you have mastered MA Jotunheim

Traditional playstyle is N9 bless tree + scales. Use Vaetti for stealthy raiding parties and snowballing expansion out of forests, core of gamherds for expansion because you took a bless and they're aite with it. Vaetti Hags are amazing because their paths are amazing - cheapest blood hunters of any era, cheap S1, N1 can raid and battle support with swarm, d1 same with skeletons. Go deep blood, do turbocoms with skratti and gygja the way that Niefel does (but less so, because cap only gygjas), do skratti thugs, mix in wolves and draugs for fear.

The innovation I was looking to try was a B7+F1+ skratti pretender for soul contracts, since you don't need sacred expansion at all really and you don't need n9 for werewolf thugs, but you'd need to trade for F gems to do it.

Just get F2 and site search to be self sustainable. It also allows you to hide your INNOVATIVE strategy otherwise smarter players will wonder why Jotun needs F gems for.

yeah, but that relies on being lucky with site searching and taking a while to get F income. The idea behind soul contracts is that you start making them when your dormant god wakes up and get a reasonable host of devils midway into year 2

Makes sense.

W-what's a % chance

R'yleh is doing stuff.

There were more guides but they've been lost.

Can memethrone be extended to a 72 hour time default? It's tiring to strip so many death gems off my damn disease grinders.

Depends what you have. As Bogarus I'd use some stellar cascades to put the fiends to sleep. Your troops can easily chop them up after. Indie fliers should fly right up to your frontline, so have your mages sitting close behind ready to blast them.

>banishment spam against demons
This is possibly the least efficient method of killing them you could have chosen.

>banishment spam when your lineholders are longdead
Are you fucking retarded?

Oops, Vanarus.

Just use chud hirdmen. 50 should be easily enough.

Thoughts on a rainbow pretender for Bandar Log?

Awful

Is there any option beyond an awake expander?

W9 or W9X9 (maybe w9s9?) tiger riders are pritty gud. N9 is also good, though that's a later game bless.

I'd like to try B9 dormant to break you into blood and get a somewhat useful bless.

Can't say how well it works, because I've yet to play it.

I tried a blood fountain once in multiplayer and got rushed by ashdod.

You need higher diplomacy magic paths.

This:>not rushing Diplomacy3 for Control of the neighbours and Nap of heaven

Would N9 or W9 even save you in that situation?

I'd think W9B9 might have done the trick desu.

triple bless

You can email me at [email protected] if you want to remain anonymous. I'll know who you are, but I also won't care

Don't play Jotunheim on a map that has like 5 forest provinces total

t. Absolute MAdMan Jot

A percentage chance. Like, 50% chance to hit

I was pretending to be Malakal trying to stay anonymous.

Dead game

Literally only need 1 or 2 new popular games in this board to permanently kill this general