Why do you need to shoulder check if you have your mirrors?

Why do you need to shoulder check if you have your mirrors?

Because the mirror covers only a certain range of vision.

Blind spots, grandpa. Check them or turn in your driver's license.

>get in vehicle, sit in drivers seat
>lean head against drivers side window
>adjust mirror so the edge of the inside blind spot is just past the body of the car
>lean over into passenger side
>repeat mirror adjustment

you now no longer have to check for blind spots

>Never driven anything but generic shitbox sedans the posts
Shoulder checking is just staring at interior in any car worth driving.

>Why do you need to shoulder check if you have your mirrors?
Because in many new cars, the side mirrors are small due to styling needs. Thus, they do NOT cover all the areas that a small car or motorcycle can be located no matter how you move them. So you still need to look when driving these cars.

Just like in the picture, those massive pillars and tiny windows don't help things even when I do look over the shoulder. I end up repositioning the mirrors to look at places I can't see by looking over the shoulder.

The mirror only lets you see so much and the same with looking over the shoulder. I wish the side mirror had a wider field of view and I don't feel like putting in one of those "round dot" mirrors.

I do a shoulder check even with these mirrors

I wish I had your pillars. My A and B and C pillars are huge and in the way. When turning left, the "A" pillar hides much of the crosswalk from view so I have to move my whole head back and forth in order to scan the crosswalk. Otherwise, I could actually hit a pedestrian while turning left.

My car's visibility feels like the car depicted in . My windows are large, but the seat placement and my head placement relative to the pillars seems to have decreased the visibility. The perfect storm of bad interior location relative to the pillars....

Some car makers have side mirrors that have a wide enough view. But my side mirrors don't see much because they don't seem to have any special concave shape.

Why not add those extra mirror circles to your side mirrors?

You still have to glance out the side window because other cars or motorcycles can be moving into your side area. The freeway is not some static roadshow.

Redundancy gives me peace of mind. Besides, I have zero car accidents that were my fault. If I can make it to the end of my driving days with zero car accidents that were my fault, then it does pay off to be a defensive driver.

And having zero accidents caused by you is a goal worth striving for. Unless you are an offensive driver. I know some of those exist along with the blithely ignorant or uncaring drivers.

Every time. It's saved me more times than I can count

Because new cars in the past 5 years were really meant to have people buy the optional rear view and blind spot sensor systems. Now that the car companies have had enough time to work out the bugs, the DOT can make them mandatory without causing undue financial harm to the companies. It's good to have a working partnership between the corporations and government.

It just makes me feel better for some reason even though my car has really good visibility

Defensive driving classes certainly tell you to look. I am certain looking reduces the chance of accidents. Even if it adds some inconvenience.

>Because the mirror covers only a certain range of vision.
This

Because OEM provided mirrors are not enough.

From before, there are concave side mirror replacements sold at Rock Auto. Those should have a wider field of view than the simple flat mirrors the manufacturer provides.

There are also mirrors made to reduce blind spots. They fit into the same size as the OEM mirrors. The images in the picture are only for demonstration of the differences in sizes of the field of view. They are not necessarily positions you use for actual driving.

Does OP ever do shoulder checks?

mirrors won't hit those cunts for you

It has actually saved me from having accidents. If I had moved using only my mirrors, I would have hit someone. I've followed instructions and viewed youtube videos on adjusting the mirrors. But the mirrors as given by the car manufacturer do not cover everything.

Has anyone gotten these mirrors? Or used any 3rd party replacements for their OEM side mirrors?

cars should come from factory with the little convex mirrors. surprised volvo hasn't made them standard yet

Rhose pillars crumple like wet paper whnever there's a collision though

It's almost certainly a lawsuit issue. Flat mirrors are an accepted proven standard dating all the way back to ancient car times. So the chance of any new lawsuits is zero as they are a long established feature.

But if specialty mirrors appear, it doesn't matter that they have a better field of view. The ambulance chaser lawyers will be filing lawsuit after lawsuit to make money off of any new feature that has the possibility of being part of an accident or can be misused as part of an accident. Dishonest dindu scammers might even deliberately try to stimulate such lawsuits in the hopes of getting rich from lawsuit money.

sometimes people literally appear out of nowhere desu
Always check mirrors and shoulders

ambulance chasers ruin everything. the little circular convex mirrors you can buy at any autoparts store or even costco are GOAT. They almost eleminate the blindspot completely.

>the little circular convex mirrors you can buy at any autoparts store
I had always thought of them as being so small that any image in them is too small to see. I know I am not liking any big circular spot mirror because the stylish OEM mirror is already kind of small. So a circular spot would be a big part of that mirror.

>so small that any image in them is too small to see
They're about an inch in diameter and allow you to know if somethings in your blindspot. You won't make out much detail though. Also nice for reversing into a parking spot. I just stick them on the bottom outside corner of the mirror and they seem to work well.

I know a friend that has them. I had to drive them around once, and it made parking their car very easy.

Now to see if there is a domestic supplier for them.

The only reason you need to shoulder check is if you are not aware of your surroundings and whats going on or you don't have your mirrors set up correctly. For 95% of people its both.