Anyone use these quick drain plugs? I just picked one up. Would make oil changes for me tool free...

Anyone use these quick drain plugs? I just picked one up. Would make oil changes for me tool free. Best part I can easily attach a hose, and not get hot oil all over my hands when I remove the drain plug.

Other urls found in this thread:

scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=temperature and viscosity&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz7Jnu-e3TAhWk0YMKHXwxDRUQgQMIJDAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You do this once, at most twice, per year
Its a single bolt, and the only trouble comes when its not properly lubed, the head is rusted or tightened too hard

Why depend on a mechanism when you can have a standard plug that is so much less likely to fail?

>Anyone use these quick drain plugs?
This is the case of a product looking too hard for a problem. It is a solution that basically trades convenience for engine risk. They have a significant chance of failing or even causing a lot of damage in some circumstances.

Negative Reason #1:
First of all, it protrudes quite a distance from the oil pan. If the car runs over an obstacle, this protrusion can "hook" onto something and cause it to rip loose from the oil pan.

Negative reason #2:
Anything protruding from the bottom of the car reduces the effective ground clearance of the car. Looking at the bottom of my car, this spigot would be the one thing protruding out of the otherwise smooth "plane" of metalwork on the bottom.

Negative reason #3:
The spigot reduces the flow rate of oil from the bottom of the pan where sludge can deposit. Thus, more of the sludge is retained between oil changes.

Negative reason #4:
The screw threaded portion of the spigot protrudes into the oil pan. This means that inside the oil pan, the bottom few millimeters of oil cannot be drained due to the height of the spigot intake inside the oil reservoir. This means silt will deposit and be stored in the oil reservoir.

1. Most new cars have bottom engine covers that negate any negative protrusion

2. see 1

3. new cars dont get much sludge, but anyone who does their own oil changes should monitor the oil health, and remove the entire drain plug once a year anyway

4. false. As you can see the threaded portion is the same as any other plug.
and this is coming from a guy who ruined his oil pan with one of these because it was a bit too low, and I sheared it off going over shitty railroad tracks.

Your product is not a drain plug. It is a valve.

It also doesn't have a magnet to attract and hold metal particles like other drain plugs do.

Not every car has a drain plug facing downward, a lot of them have it horizontal, negating pretty much every drawback you listed.

I agree with you that it's kind of a pointless "tool", but on cars with horizontal drain plugs it's really not going to cause any problem except for the flow rate and even there i think you make it look like a bigger problem than it really is, especially on modern engines and oils.

>Getting hot oil on your hands
>Ever
Well seeing as how you're already a fucking mongloid, go right ahead and get it.

I would like to know what technique you use to remove the oil drain plug quickly enough not to get oil immediately on your hands

This little thing called gravity. Works wonders.

gloves work....

I have never removed the oil drain plug from my car. I;ve owned it for 3 years and 40,000 miles. just use pic related:

Nitrile gloves

>Draining with a hot engine
LMAO look at this faggot

no shit gloves help. doesnt prevent your hands still being covered in oil.

ok? so you remove the drain plug, oil immediatly starts pouring out, its gets on your hand. gloves or not, it doesnt matter.

slow, and doesnt get sludge out.

>Not draining when the oil is so hot it runs like water.
It is as if you want the oil to stick to the engine pan.

who cares?

>Draining when most of the oil is still all over the fucking engine instead of being only in the pan and filter because of muh viscosity

It's like you really want to keep dirty oil in your engine

>getting upset about how someone else changes their oil

1. & 2.
Spigot is still protuding. Those covers flex when they hit an obstacle, they provide no real protection.
3. There is no difference with sludge build up in newer cars.
You're an idiot.
The thread is the same length of the plug, but the plug is removed.

I have never seen a fully horizontal drain plug.
Many are not directly vertical, but virtually all are at some type of angle.

>Damage control

Nobody is upset here, draining oil with a hot engine is objectively worse, you can't argue against that.

A hot engine has oil all over the place, that oil needs time to drain back to the sump and out the drain hole, so you either leave the drain open for a lot of time (wasting time and making the warm-up process pointless) or you just deal with the fact that you will have a relatively small but still significant quantity of old oil left in the engine.

If you have the time to wait and coincidences happened so you found yourself with a hot engine before the oil change, then who fucking cares, you just let it sit for a while and be done with it.
But if your main concern is time and maximum oil drainage, then drowning with a hot engine is going to either waste more time or drain less oil.

none of that makes any sense.

I don't know if it's an European thing, but over here a lot of them are very close to being horizontal.

Pic is a random Focus because that's the first that came to mind with a horizontal drain plug. A lot of French and korean cars are like this too.

Not my fault if you can't understand how the lubrication system works

Not my fault if you can't understand how the physics works

Then explain to me how draining oil from a hot, completely lubricated engine is faster and/or more efficient than draining from an engine that sit cold overnight where all the oil that could fall is already completely in the pan and filter.

not that user

Probably viscosity of the fluid, that warm oil is more able to flow than cold oil

Tool free? How you gonna take off your oil filter then faggot

So this is how they drained the engine of oil

Also why the fuck would they drain the engine of oil when they wanted the car for themselves and it had a bespoke racing V8?

Did you drop out from grade school?

Not the guy you replied to but I've seen horizontal drains on a lot of small engines like small motorcycles, lawnmowers, weed eaters etc

You still have to wait for the hot oil to drain off all the surfaces of the engine, which is a thing you don't have to do with a cold one. The parts that need to be lubricated are designed to keep a film of oil for as long as they can, it won't just drip all down in a second just because it's hot.

Yes, the oil in the pan will indeed flow out faster, but then you have to wait for the rest of the oil to flow back from the engine, whereas a cold engine has all the oil in the pan already

I like how you are avoiding the question like the plague. I guess your next post will be >spoon-feed me mommy!

Ford Modular v8

Because they are retarded and for some reason thought seizing such a unique engine made perfect sense.

scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=temperature and viscosity&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz7Jnu-e3TAhWk0YMKHXwxDRUQgQMIJDAA

Read nigger

>Yes, the oil in the pan will indeed flow out faster, but then you have to wait for the rest of the oil to flow back from the engine, whereas a cold engine has all the oil in the pan already
You want to remove and particles in the oil which is easier when the oil can flow faster, like when it's hotter. The little bit of old oil doesn't matter because it'll get diluted with the new oil

Worked at a Jiffy Lube a long time ago, seen a bunch of horizontal plugs, usually in a small "sump".

And hot oil still takes about one minute to drain, it comes out very fast, little stays "up in the engine" as its meant to constantly flow/fall back into the pan to be pumped back.

Everyone knows viscosity drops with temperature, I even said the oil already in the pan flows out faster when it's hot. I am talking about all the oil that is coating literally every lubricated surface in a hot engine that takes time to drop down vs not having to wait for it because you just let the car sit overnight and gravity had hours to do that job for you.

A hot engine oil change takes more time for the maximum amount of oil drained than a cold oil change and drains less oil for the same amount of time it takes to drain all the oil from a cold engine.

If you are not time-restricted then it literally doesn't fucking matter if it's hot or cold because it will eventually drip all down anyway.

not him,just some other dude...
Gotta a tl;dr?

>The little bit of old oil doesn't matter because it'll get diluted with the new oi
You'd have to be autistic to give a shit about the minute amounts of oil in the valvetrain

Got one as a gift, not sure I'd spend my own money on one though. Tool free is kinda nice, I don't bother with the hoses though, filter is on the side of my block so I still have to use a pan to deal with the drips from that. Even then, I only change once a year so it's not a big deal.

Yeah the 10 seconds it takes for me to grab a 13mm and turn it 3 times really makes me want this.

Cold oil still flows well, unless its freezing cold

Up to a quart can hang around the oil galleries and in the head for like 15 minutes

Not hard to measure what comes out and compare it to what you put in.

My Mercedes had one that was pretty much perfectly horizontal, but leant a bit downwards because of the engine itself leaning

No way.
20-25%?
Then why does all 5quarts drain in less than a minute.

I work at worstyear and do more oil changes than I can count each day, Its one of the simplest things to do to your car and there is no need to have some bullshit sticking out of your oil pan to make your oil change 2% easier.

A lot of cars in the states have this. I honestly don't remember off the top of my head what makers do it though

Case in point.

>Would make oil changes for me tool free
That means you require three things to remove the oil filter without tools:

a. Fram oil filter with the friction grip. Otherwise it is hard to twist the cannister off.

b. The oil filter was not overly tightened. There are too many past threads where people wrecked the oil filter housing trying to remove the old oil filter that was tightened super tight.

c. You still need a tool such as a pan to catch the dripping oil. Letting the oil get all over your driveway is just too sucky.

If you use full synthetic oil, change it often enough, and use good oil filters, and sludge will never be an issue.

Gloves.

Spin the plug with one finger from the left side of the plug in a rapid downward motion, and stand behind the direction of the stream so it doesn't splash oil on your face. Let the plug drop onto the mesh on your drain pan.

t. lube monkey

bro

it's not that hard lol

I just undo it slowly while applying a little bit of pressure inwards as I get to the end of the thread

then once you finish off the thread, quickly pull it away

most times I can do this without getting a drop on my hands, and I'm a pleb when it comes to shit like this

not very easy when you are blindly jamming your hand in an awkward position under the engine

Honestly that just means you need to find a better position.

nice trips

is your drain plug really that awkward to get at?

I've never come across a particularly tricky drain plug location before

I just bought one but I'm waiting to install it until I get the little rubber piece that locks it.

>He doesn't have an oil filter that can be screwed off with his bare hands

I have one on my car. Haven't done my first oil change with it but I'm pretty much gonna attach a hose to it and run that hose to an empty bottle, skipping the drain pan aside from using it to collect the oil from the oil filter.

My car is lowered but not too low. It has never caught on anything. My exhaust resonator hangs much lower and that rarely scrapes at my current height. They're pretty neato. If I get an oil filter relocation kit to a more convenient place, changes will be speedy as fuck. Bit of a squeeze underneath the intake manifold. Hard to avoid a small mess.

45 degree master race.

I do an oil change every 45-60 days dude.

That isn't even changing early, that's 4500-5000 miles every time.

>he doesn't pour 5 qts of fresh oil through his engine to wash out old stuff

You are going to need this based on the look of your oil pan.

Delivery driver?

Not true - Not slow if you know what you're doing, and also removes pretty much everything in the bottom of the pan,,,again, if you know how to use one.

You're looking for idiot-proof and here's no such thing. Don't make this more complicated than it has to be.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jiffy Lube

Are you silly m9?

Gotta start somewhere. As long as they actually give a shit, don't fuck shit up, and eventually move up to an independent shop/dealership, there's nothing wrong with that.

Idk what they're called but they're like these condoms that fit over your hands. They work great.

Enjoy your sludge M9

Actually that's a 315 angle

Is it really that fucking hard for you to get out socket wrench?

Over here, those things are very similar to the thin plastic sheet tubes that fit over rolled up newspapers delivered to your home (tossed out the car).

Ay, you guessed it. I do quite a bit of driving outside of work anyways, but average 60-120 miles a day at work.

>tfw did 35,000 miles last year
>compensated $0.32 a mile

>I would like to know what technique you use to not to get oil on your hands or forearm.

What would MacGyver do?

When it comes close to the time to change oil, I save one of the loaf of bread plastic wrappers. Unlike gloves that only cover the hand and palm, these are long enough to up the forearm, so oil doesn't splash on me even when I am semi-careless about not keeping the plug gently pressed against the hole for the last turn to remove it.

Best of all, I don't have to buy anything extra since I am just re-purposing the loaf of bread plastic wrapper.

Do any of you guys ever flush the motor? Pour in motor flush, run engine, drain oil after shutting motor off. That is the steps, not letting it sit over night.

You've never changed oil in northern winter. The warmth of the engine prevents hyperthermia.

I replace those shits with OE drain plugs when I find them on customer cars.

Your $5 loaf of bread molds-over.

Best tool I've found, fits most oil filter sizes.

Chevy 1500s up to 2007 i believe.

Re-read but turn on your reading comprehension

>That's a great way to lose credibility with anyone who cares about even just the concept of an internal combustion engine

It's an acceptable method here to gain experience in a working environment. Lots of people get additional training on the job at the other shops. What many shops want to see is that the employee is able to show up on time regularly, has a work ethic demonstrated somewhere, doesn't have a drug or mental background that prevents him from being able to work regularly every day, etc. By having that employment, it covers those bases.

Is there a recommended brand of these plugs? I don't want to buy one made of cheap plated metal. It might snap off and then require the oil pan to be removed. Or one random day a rock or debris hits the lever and the oil leaks out while driving.

>drain plugs
Chinese threaded parts can be pot metal castings that are thickly plated over. So you have to be careful of what you buy. I had a brittle fitting burst this past winter and it turned out to be plated over grayish crystalline metal. The grain suggested it was cast, polished a bit, then plated to make it look like quality metal parts.

Yeah but those wont let you put the new filter on.

Fumoto

You shouldn't use a tool to install a new filter. Just lube the gasket ring, and tighten it solid with your hand. Any harder than that, and it will be a pain to remove later.

Thanks for the (You) friend.

They're great if you're tired of having to buy new drain crush washers (actually end up saving money after a year doing this).

I got mine without the nipple for attaching a pcv hose, but I kinda wish I had gotten mine with the short attachment so that I could make my oil changes even cleaner.

Neither my Peugot nor my Simson have horizontal drain plugs.
The Simson only has a horzontal oil controll skrew.

>this thread for the 500th time
>still people replying

This board is the only board on Veeky Forums where when the posters act retarded, it isn't funny, it's just annoying as fuck.

>I replace those shits with OE drain plugs when I find them on customer cars.
You have spare ones lying around? If they aren't spares, then that's money out of your pocket.

The washers are cheap.

>They're great if you're tired of having to buy new drain crush washers (actually end up saving money after a year doing this).
I turn it around after rinsing in the oil and it still works.

Dealership technician, got spare parts for days

Literally all of my cars have horizontal drain plugs.

If you have a can filter you should be able to take it off with your hands, one of my cars with a drop in filter just has a knob on the top of the canister anyway that can be undone by hand.

>If you have a can filter you should be able to take it off with your hands
Then why is it all those oil change shops tighten them so it takes a supernova to take it off. I tried my first oil change and it would not come off. I kind of slightly crushed the can with that roundish strap oil filter remover and gave up at that point. I went to a shop to have them take it off.