Humblegoals

Humblegoals thread.

All I want is an independent life in some nice city, nice single or two room apartment, able to spend all day online, gaming, creating, learning, writing, etc. And maybe a dog so I have a reason to go out every now and then. Quasi-neeting but I do want to be self employed somehow.

Anyone here achieved this? How? How would you recommend for me to achieve this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/
economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/marriage-is-for-rich-people/?_r=0
money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/pf/cost-of-raising-a-child-2015/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to have enough to buy healthy food and take a vacation once a year. Also to be able to buy some special items each month, like a few video games. I also want to be able to support me and my girlfriend if she ever did not work.

this is basically my goal aswell user
>OWN nice 1-2bd/1bth appartment
>fully own reliable but nice car (thinking lexus)
>enough income that so that i dont have to worry about feeding myself/paying bills

so far im maybe 10% of the way towards this goal (have about 20k invested aggressive right now)

basically all it comes down to is saving like a mother fucker (think 50%, ez for me cause i live at home) and making smart choices in terms of what you spend your time on.

age/job/school??

Yeah, I just want to own a flat (apartment) somewhere chill, my goal in life to be cozy. I fucking despise my job at the moment, but I'm earning £28k which isn't terrible here in England. £18.5k in stocks, couple grand in savings. I'm able to save most of my income but I've just passed my driving license test so will start paying for a car, and will probably move out of my parents which means I won't be able to save as much as I am doing currently

You think 200K is enough to sustain you for life?

I want to retire to a 400-1000 square foot cabin in a place where I can live relatively peacefully, with a washing machine and dryer on site.

Going to the laundromat is for slaves.

I am living in London and even that I have an above the average salary (50k) I have already assumed that I will never be able to afford an apartment.

It is sad but I have to be realistic. The only house (or houses) that I will ever own will be because I inherit them, and they are not in London.

What do you do? How did you ge tthere? How old are you?

If you've got your house paid off you need fuck all to live.

What does a guy spend money on? Food, maybe some beer.

Feel the same way about Vancouver. Thanks Chinese.

no not at all, thats why i said "plus an income so i can not worry about feeding myself paying the bills"

200k will get me a car/decent 2bedroom close to the downtown of my city

I am 25 and I am web dev

Property taxes and repairs will happen and have to be paid for. And a safe withdrawal rate of 4% is only 8K a year.

That's fair. Very realistic. My goal is to get ~600K so I can just live off the dividends for life.

>London
>£50k
>whining about his inheritance

m8 shut the fuck

posh cunts - not even once

Why don't you learn to build a house?

I live with my father in a nice large compound in the mountains, 30 minutes away from san jose. I spend all day online/gaming/shitposting/chasing free money, and occasionally buying/selling a stock like Nivida.

It's very depressing because i live with my father, even though i have 450k, it feels like im a 13 year old... Im not allowed to buy a house and move to place I want to live in rural washingotn or oregon, because he think's it's stupid to not live rent free with him...

I hate it, because I live with him (even though he is nice for letting me live with him, and paying for my beer, food, car etc.)

My own house, i'm sick of commieblocks. Doesn't have to be a big one. In fact i could live in one of those refurbished shipping containers.
Enough passive income so i don't have to slave my life away. God knows i'm walking on a tight rope here already, with all the cancer and blood issues running in the family.
And simply to be left alone.

fucking depressing, it makes me never leave the house, becuase there is no reason to go anywhere or do anything....

Im on unemployment, and no jobs will pay me what i used to make... Education is really bullshit in the bay area... the junior colleges are jokes, and the universities are even bigger jokes but tough as nails to get into (overcrowding via chinese/vietnamese/illegals)... i was in uni but stopped going when i got old job, they wouldnt let me into accounting courses, because it was too full.

I didnt want a useless economics degree...

I got dui, got fired, from great job, now i can't even get a job as a septic tank labourer unless it is in a city 200-300 miles away

yeah, thats like my "minimum" goal for now, i know i will probably be able to afford bigger and better but for now (20y/o atm) thats my goal

Go cry somewhere else, faggot.

>there is no reason to go anywhere or do anything

What's your blog so i can subscribe?

>chasing free money

elaborate?

To build a house you first need land, and it is quite hard to find land to build anything in London, all the developers are going after what it is left.

> Anyone here achieved this?
yes

> How?
started a business

> How would you recommend for me to achieve this?
work for someone else. Something simple, yet profitable, that does not require a degree. Learn how they do it. Then quit and start your own.

>What does a guy spend money on? Food, maybe some beer.

And a woman and children. Until then you're a boy, not a man.

Lazy ass cunt who can't find a man to provide for her, detected. Get a job.

that's quiet nice.
i almost have that, not a 100% done tho.

Nah fuck that I'll keep traveling and meeting interesting people. Got a dog bro for home.

seconding this.

I'm retired. I get out of bed at 3 in the afternoon and play video games most of the day. Go eat dinner at a restaurant. Play more games. Shitpost on Veeky Forums.

I bought a business.

I worked for someone else to learn before buying my business.

I'd like to own a decent sized house, enough for me and my parents. If they get to a point where they cant take care of themselves, I'll take them in. I don't want any of my siblings or in laws to do it

Oh man I didn't read the rest of your post, OP. I don't know how I'm going to achieve it, I'm sure I'll be fine though

Sensible people don't get married and have children

Literal cuck behavior

are you 15?

haha
>nuclear family is cuck
>dissolving nuclear family due to social programs has led to all poverty
how does a modern conservative maintain confidence in his identity politics?

Are you saying social programs has destroyed the nuclear family?

I'd argue that most families going the two-earner's route in order to survive has done that but that's my speculation.

>he thinks it's the 1930s

WEW, enjoy being cucked

Poverty makes me rich by the way, so who gives a fuck lol

Well you'd have to move to the countryside, of course, stupid.

Why would you want to overpay for land in London?

>able to spend all day online, gaming, creating, learning, writing

>able to spend all day gaming

This isn't sustainable whatsoever my teenage friend

>1 income is better than 2
>children don't pay for themselves in tax incentives
>your credit doesn't improve with a spare worker to cosign
>sex is lame

that's the sort of thinking that got you into this mess.

Do you really believe anyone can just go and build a house at will before owning land?

>children don't pay for themselves in tax incentives

Tax incentives will NEVER be greater than the cost of raising a child. Not even close.

>Humblegoals
>Anyone here achieved this? How?
It's easier to have an alt lifestyle than most people think.

I sell vegetables in Poland. I earn 2,500 PLN per month, so something like €7,000 per year. I'll be 30 soon. Hear me out.

I live a very comfortable life, for what I want and need. I mostly spend time reading, finishing around 170 books per year. I can read at work (rarely busy) and at home. I have a lot of free time.

I'm clean, healthy, have heat and food. I get around by bicycle. I buy used clothes, but it's not like they have holes or smell, really. I guess life would be much harder if I didn't have my own flat. While I was getting a PhD I got one from my parents, but I never took any help outside of that.

I miss some things like the washing machine or oven, but every month I save a little bit of extra money. Even though I read mostly on kindle I can also buy used books from the libraries, see pic related. Sometimes they give them away for free too.

I'm having a hard time understand how people need to spend so much more than I do. I guess it's mostly because they can't cook. Socializing may be expensive too, but I dislike people. Everything else may just be people believing in commercials and paying for useless crap. The need to possess an expensive car or the newest console seems empty and funny to me, but each to their own.

>Quasi-neeting but I do want to be self employed somehow.
Working outside of your home is not so bad. If you don't want that because of the people, then just keep the distance from them but be polite. They will leave you alone. If it's because you feel like you deserve a better job than you can get, I encourage you to rethink simpler options.

but you dont get any sense of meaningful accomplishment and pride from earning money

sure, lets say you "make it", and you now have racks on racks. sure, it feels good to be able to see the product of your hard work and success. but what happens after that? exponentiate your money until you die? then what?

who do you try and instill the values of hard work and frugality as well as morals in besides your children to ensure their success and comfort? and how can you not want to come home to a loving wife at the end of a day? what about if your car shits out on the way to work (at which you get fired) and you feel like shit? whos going to be your cheerleader and tell you it's gonna be alright?

if you arent using financial success as a method to establish a family and keep the people you care about in comfort youre probably doing it for the wrong reasons

>but you dont get any sense of meaningful accomplishment and pride from earning money

This may come as a shock to you as but people value different things. I'm not gaudy, I don't spend my money outside of traveling and some hobbies, max out my 401k, IRA, and contribute to my niece and nephew's college accounts.

I feel accomplishment in my job. I like solving problems, and making good money is just a side effect. The money doesn't necessarily make me happy but the doors and opportunities it opens does.

Life's what you make it. Fuck you and anyone like you thinks you have it figured out. I subscribe to being good to others and oneself. That makes me happy.

Surely you can imagine that it's possible to be a content person without having a child. And this thread is a discussion of humble living, which by itself focuses on different values than being rich and possessing things. If you believe the only possible ways to happiness is financial success and procreation, then I invite you to discuss what happiness is on Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums

I want to buy a 4-unit building with tenants and enough income to pay property taxes and management company. Soon my passive income empire will be born.

>this thread is a discussion of humble living
I got confused since OP's goals cost far more money than most people will ever make in their lives.

those are actually wealthy goals, if we care to be frank. Of the sort user will likely never achieve.

>Tax incentives will NEVER be greater than the cost of raising a child. Not even close
I see you don't have kids or pay taxes. And/or do not live in the US.

congratulations, you are the normal Veeky Forums user!

I'd like to own a modest condo in the city. I live in a larger Midwestern town, so I'm thinking I can do it. Somewhere between $150,000 to $300,000 max. You can get some nice places around here for around that price.

Second priority would be to obtain a nice ride. Being a college student, I like many drive a shitbox that's an embarrassment to be seen in. Because of all the snow we get during the winter months, the A4 is the car I'm currently admiring. You can get a nearly fully-loaded one for around $40,000. That's a bit more than what the average American pays for a new car, but I think I can do it.

So what are the tangible benefits of "being a man" and having a child?

higher income, decreased taxes, cheaper and easier credit, lowered insurance costs, greater employability, more assets.

that's just on average. It's certainly possible to have a kid and skip all the benefits.

Aside from the taxes your list is crap.

If I knock up 5 random women tomorrow I will get none of those things aside from the tax breaks. What I will get is a new expensive bill I must pay somehow lest I be throw in jail so I suppose my income may go up in absolute terms, but in real terms it's going down along with my quality of life as I am now slaving away to pay child support instead of drinking beer and arguing with people on Veeky Forums.

Same goal, except the dog (don't want pets). In fact your pic would be fucking ideal (to OWN, not rent).

All I want is to actually own my own time. As it is now I'm freaking out about money and if this kickstarter doesn't take off (or at least launch because our video is taking so god damn long) in the next month or two, I'm fucked and I'll have to go get some slave job making pennies while I make someone else rich. I hate the thought.

This. My entire yearly expenses outside of housing total well under $10,000. I don't want or need a ton of stuff to be happy, I just need to be financially secure and free.

Dude I know a lot of fuckbois with a woman and kids.

>If I knock up 5 random women tomorrow
Oh, so you mean NOT "being a man."

that's a different list entirely.

If you are implying getting married is a sound financial decision in our time I have some alt coins to sell you.

>My goal is to get ~600K so I can just live off the dividends for life.
Oh hey, this is mine too! I figure at 4% swr, the 24 grand a year would cover a modest mortgage and I'd finally be free.

>Poverty makes me rich by the way
Alright, I'll bite. How does it make you rich?

>have enough invested that your dividends and capital gains more than cover your living expenses
>isn't sustainable whatsoever
And how do you figure that?

... What the fuck are you trying to shill here?

The *maximum* deduction for children is a few thousand dollars a year, like 2 or 3 grand. Children do not cost anywhere near 2 or 3 grand. Tax deductions could never even approach the cost of raising a child.

>one or two bed apartment and passive income to cover living expenses
>"OP's goals cost far more money than most people will ever make in their lives"
I invite you to read this: mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

Reduce living expenses, increase savings rate, and it's absolutely realistic to build up hundreds of thousands or even several million dollars in net worth by your mid 30s, even with a very modest income.

How much do you think OP's goals would cost? How much do you think he could reasonably earn in the next, say, 10 years?

kek

counterintuitive, isn't it?

like the idea that running with weights in your hands will make you faster.

I would say it's more like running a marathon with a bomb strapped to one leg that may go off at any moment.

You might be faster, but I'm guessing you are not having a good time, and if it goes off you have to try and hop your way to the finish line.

>The *maximum* deduction for children is a few thousand dollars a year, like 2 or 3 grand.
the deduction is $4k per child
you can also get $4k per child back as eic whether you paid taxes or not. Other credits and deductions of similar size may exist.

so you've got at least $8k in tax benefits, half of which can be turned into a cash refund. If you're paying more than $8k per year per child you're doing something weird. Most adults don't cost that.

I'm just telling you losers how it is. I realize you'll never reproduce.

do you want to have a good time or do you want to make money?

i can guarntee you gaming willblock you from doing every thing else you listed.

Why the fuck are you trying to shill for people having children so much?

I'm going to have kids some day, but it is fucking *retarded* to tell people to have kids before they're financially secure and have experienced most of the things they want to (like travel, drugs if you're into that, living abroad, etc) which are precluded by having children.

>/frugal/ woman
Check
>Affordable home
Just bought
>150k+ household income
Working on it. A few more raises and we will be there.

I'm doing it Veeky Forums. I'm really making it.

>it is fucking *retarded* to tell people to have kids before they're financially secure and have experienced most of the things they want
because statistically your advice is the retarded choice.

it sounds backwards, but the people that get rich as adults usually start earning as soon as possible, get married, have kids as young as they can, buy houses, and advance financially

all while you're 'finding yourself' in Europe or pondering existence in your mom's basement or experimenting with bisexuality at starbucks.

strangely enough the faster you get started living the faster you'll get good at it.

I would love to see any kind of source for that, whatsoever. You're literally just sharing your opinions as if they were facts.

Why?

Are you trying to make yourself feel better after having kids and realizing how bad you fucked up?

Are you insecure about feeling immature so you're pretending to be a "real" man on the internet?

Or are you just trolling?

So in your mind children and wives are free?

Also I already made the choice between having free time or more money. I'm good with where I am at, no need or reason to kill myself for a few more shekels.

Your stats are from a different age (literally 50 years ago) where every person of any reasonable amount of responsibility got married and had kids.

They do not apply to today.

economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/marriage-is-for-rich-people/?_r=0

rich people in general are married with kids. If you need more sources for this obvious fact you can find them in a fraction of a second on the search engine of your choice.

>the deduction is $4k per child
doesn't this just mean you get taxed on $4k less of your income? like you save $500 or something like that?

>They do not apply to today
time will tell.

you guys are so afraid of getting divorced you ignore the huge financial gains of getting married. which is fine, but don't lie to yourself and pretend they don't exist.

>doesn't this just mean you get taxed on $4k less of your income?
yes
>like you save $500 or something like that?
no, you save $4k.

or in my case, I have three kids. I save $12k on taxes and get another $12k back as a bonus for having kids.

thank you taxpayers

>huge financial gains of getting married

If I saw any huge financial gain I would get married. So what are these huge gains?

The oft-misunderstood: "correlation does not imply causation". Yes, rich people tend to be married more often than poor people. However, this does not mean that getting married makes you rich. To illustrate why that is, take a look at how silly the inverse sounds: "getting rich makes you married". The two tend to go together (being married and being rich), but one does not cause the other.

If we're going to be totally correct: that study did not control to find a causative link, only correlative links. It could indeed be that get married makes you rich, but the evidence you just presented does not prove that.

>so afraid of getting divorced you ignore the huge financial gains of getting married
>perhaps a few thousand dollars a year in tax benefits vs majorly increased costs in having a second mouth to feed along with however many children
>not to mention the kinda big deal of LOSING 50% OF YOUR NET WORTH in case things go slightly wrong, such as her deciding "I'm bored"
>huge financial gains

Again, you've only told us about literally a couple grand a year. That isn't huge financial gains, and I'd love to see if you can come up with any other "huge financial gains" for marriage.

the same ones I listed for having a kid.
In the US at least our entire societal structure favors married heterosexual couples. Especially ones that reproduce.

150k income isn't making it, you're still a slave to your job despite being able to afford payments on a new BMW.

>That isn't huge financial gains
it is compounded over a few decades.

>rich people tend to be married more often than poor people

and poor people tend to be single more often than rich people.

you do the math. Perhaps one has nothing to do with the other. But all analysis aside,

your lack of enthusiasm for marriage is probably a strong predictor of your future poverty.

So you are telling me to get married so I can breed as many children as possible to get the 4k tax deduction?

I am going to have to house them in an unheated barn and feed them cat food for this enterprise to turn a profit.

I'm not telling you anything except you have no idea what it costs to raise a kid, and you're losing money by not finding out.

I don't judge you for that, and I'm not going to encourage you to reproduce. If you even can.

I'm merely making you aware.

All I want is a good home and a wife, and a children, and some food to feed them every night

>it is compounded over a few decades.
Yes, but at the very real and very huge risk of losing half of everything in a divorce. That's a *massive* amount of risk for an extremely modest reward. And again, you aren't accounting for the extra costs associated with children and a wife. Mr. Money Mustache has a wife and a son, they are *extremely* frugal, and their cost per person is right around $8,000 a year (~$24, 25k for their family of three).

>and poor people tend to be single more often than rich people.
Yes.

>you do the math. Perhaps one has nothing to do with the other. But all analysis aside, your lack of enthusiasm for marriage is probably a strong predictor of your future poverty.
I did do the math. And you literally just said "if we ignore the facts and basic, basic principles of statistics, you're probably going to be poor because you're cautious about marriage".

Am I being trolled? Is this what being trolled feels like?

>you have no idea what it costs to raise a kid

money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/pf/cost-of-raising-a-child-2015/index.html

223k per head to 17, so add in post secondary to that. Which is why everyone here is telling you, you are not making money off having kids unless you are a welfare queen.

>you aren't accounting for the extra costs associated with children and a wife.
I am counting on them.
they are the entire point of the thing.

you get rich by being forced to pay more and thus earn more. Full stop. The handicap is what wins you the race.

>And you literally just said "if we ignore the facts and basic, basic principles of statistics, you're probably going to be poor because you're cautious about marriage".
I don't feel like arguing philosophy of science you apparently don't understand and ultimately doesn't matter.

it does not matter by what mechanism poor people tend to be single and single people tend to be poor.

because whatever the cause you're not likely to avoid it.

what part of being forced to make more money are you not understanding?

What part of making more, while spending even more than that does not make you richer?

and we come full circle to
How many rich people got that way by being single?

My main goal and all I want is a small house in a quiet area, with enough money invested for it to be halfway self sufficient.

I just want to be able to work part time when I want, and then spend the rest of my time camping, lifting, playing video games, raising chickens, and going out with a gf.

Basically a semi modern farm life.

Currently have about 300k saved at 30,but that's no where near enough, so my goal seems almost impossible at this point.

I'm so sick of working all day long and I'm sick of loud and disrespectful roommates.

probably our breaking point is that you see kids as a lifetime expense because you expect your parents to pay your way all your life.

I see them as an 18 year expense and then I'm left with tens of thousands of dollars a year in extra cash while they go get a job.

Not that user, but in some states/countries you are kind of allowed through some legal loopholes and incentives to first build a house and then claim the land as yours. Check Patagonia in Argentina, or check some parts of Japan as an example.
The problem with it is that you won't have any services at all (water/electricity) for a long period of time until the land is modernized because of a high demand on services.

>you'll get richer by imposing more difficult circumstances on yourself
I just... I mean, I guuuueeeess that could work for someone with a very specific personality? Most people are not like that though, user.

If it worked like that for most people, then alcoholics and druggies would become extremely insusceptible to addiction simply by virtue of being addicted. That doesn't make much sense, does it?

As I explained earlier, getting married has been nearly universal in written human history until very recently. Your statistics based upon marriage from even the last generation are inapplicable as the deal marriage is has changed greatly since then.

Your claim that children are a net benefit based on tax refunds is demonstrably false. Your claim that being force to work more will inevitably lead to higher wealth is arguable, but there is no argument that you will trade a great deal of the enjoyment of your life to gain that, and you could have done it without children and been far richer if you had wanted to.

>because you expect your parents to pay your way all your life

Resorting to insults since your arguments don't hold water?

>50k
>posh

Your working class is showing

My one humble goal is staying out of prison!

Fuck me and it's expensive to keep out of there!

My back up plan is to kill other prisoners until I am killed myself or I get put in the nice (isolation) part of prison.

Question: What happens to my stock investments when I am (injustly) in prison?

>Question: What happens to my stock investments when I am (injustly) in prison?

Probably seized to pay fines/court costs.

It's not really hard to stay out of prison, are you black or something?

You're fucking retarded.

All things being equal DINKs would have more disposable income than any amount of tax revenue saved in a married couple with a kid(s). Kids are expensive. Unless you have someone watching them for free you either have to pay someone to watch them for awhile or someone has to give up their job to watch them. There is scenario where a DINK couple is beaten by a married couple with kids all thing being equal.

Get real man. I don't know what world you live in.

is not a scenario*

But user... what are you doing that's getting you thrown in prison?

I just want to live in a small single bedroom house in a small to moderate town, with two cars. A beater shitbox to do A to B, and a nice inexpensive sports car to drive on the weekends.

;_;. Right now I'm poor as fuck paying $300 in rent every month and only making about $1k, while having to pay most of it to keeping myself functioning.