Elon's head rocket engine engineer says in a recent interview that five years ago Elon told him the marginal cost for a...

Elon's head rocket engine engineer says in a recent interview that five years ago Elon told him the marginal cost for a Tesla is $30,000:

"Like, here’s a conversation I had maybe about five years ago on the Merlin 1D when we first developed it. He asked me; he said, “How much do you think it costs to make a Model S?" And I’m like “I don’t know; 50 thousand dollars?” He said “No, about 30 thousand dollars.” That’s the marginal cost for that car."

This seems kinda low. What do you think? And if it was 30k five years ago what is it now?

Other urls found in this thread:

teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/st3-vehicle-tabs-sticker-shock.86101/
youtube.com/watch?v=faV5WBudcbc
teslarati.com/tesla-spends-just-6-per-car-advertising/
dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a505342.pdf
inverse.com/article/31478-spacex-settles-underpaid-workers-lawsuit-for-4-million
salon.com/2017/05/14/sorry-tesla-owners-but-your-electric-car/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

interview is available here

twitch tv/videos/139688943

add like 10k for shipping, marketing and shit to every car and you still have a +100% profit rate

fucking nice

Tesla likes to claim they have no marketing department.

Tesla has no marketing, no dealerships, the factory isn't unionized yet they still can't turn a profit.

>being this clueless

lmao, enjoy paying taxes

teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/st3-vehicle-tabs-sticker-shock.86101/

>Liberals love saying yes to every tax
>Say yes to tax on car tabs
>Tesla retards are paying $1000+ to renew car registration because the tax is based on msrp values

>what is spending literal bajillions of dollars on factories and other up front costs

profits aren't everything

Are you retarded? we are talking about Tesla as a firm, operating at a loss is the easiet way to avoid taxes

behold, a moron who doesn't read beyond the title.

This is only in WA, and if you have a 100k car it'll be pretty much the same electric or not..

Literal pyramid scheme
So paying the same taxes for an inferior car lol

>I don't know what a pyramid scheme is

stay in school kid

Look who's talking

>"head rocket engineer" breaks NDA he had to sign 20 times, makes up a ridiculous story to namedrop rich uncle Elon, to get 6 twitch followers
Are we sure this isn't a janitor at the plant? Doesn't seem like a very smart guy. Either way, sounds like he doesn't understand how automaking works. Of course a single car costs far less than it's sell price, this is not news to anyone. Tesla sells two cars, and has over 20k employees, their own service centers, their own transport, their own sales outfits, and a huge network of charging stations. All of those things have to be paid for with the profit from the vehicles, as well as all the engineering, testing, development of the manufacturing facility, etc. It's not like Ferrari who can license their logos to be put on shoes, get other revenue streams through racing, have franchised dealerships deal with all customer interaction, etc. yet I promise you the profit margin on a 488 vs production cost is higher than on a Model S. They are both publicly owned companies with quarterly earnings reports so if you wanted to actually learn instead of spewing more speculative retardation it's only a google away.

a buisness school intern?

it's tom fucking mueller. The brains behind much of spacex's amazing engines. I trust what he says.

was like employee #3 at spacex 15 years ago

Yeah, but they're in so much debt that they lose money on every car they sell. They haven't made a profit in years

Of course they have no marketing department when people make shit like for free.

If they stopped expanding and just sold the S and X, they would be making fucking bank.

The end game of tesla is not to sell 50k luxury cars per year. Its to sell 500k everyman cars a year.

They make money on each car sold. They then turn around and spend all that money on factories.

What do you think will happen when they stop building factories?

That's when the scheme collapses

I can smoke the fuck out of any Tesla in my 2000 EK hatch with a couple of simple mods.

And what becomes of this factory? You know, the one they built with all that money they get from people who buy their cars.

don't bother replying, user

he's probably fuming over shorting on Tesla stock with daddy's credit card because some chucklefuck gearhead forum told him to

in the long run those fixed cost aren't going to matter

Liquidated

Would you care to explain how you think tesla some kind of pyrimid scheme? How do they make money? How do they have money to build factories? How are they able to build and sell physical products? Why are they constantly hiring more people? Why is all of wallstreet fooled?

No, their end game is to just manufacture batteries and corner the market through superior tech and massive supplies. That's why they're building the gigafactories.

Well its going to be hard to corner the battery market with the gigafactory since panasonic owns half(?) of it.

bruh, Panasonic is investing in the gigafactory as well. Group effort.

Thats why im saying. Panasonic has invested so much in the gigafactory that they now own a large part of it. Meaning tesla cant really control the battery market because panasonic will be able to match their prices.

>no marketing department

thats a fucking lie. I'm sure they have a stupid name for their marketing department.

>ludicris mode
>Biodefense mode
>Apple style conferences
>Daily posts on plebbit

youtube.com/watch?v=faV5WBudcbc

Shit like this is new marketing. All those ads in motortrend and autoweek are all just paid by Tesla too.

Your right, tesla does have a marketing department

teslarati.com/tesla-spends-just-6-per-car-advertising/

>This seems kinda low
It is. I really doubt that factors in the costs of R&D, all the tooling and building the factories, all the hidden shit that goes into making something.

$30k sounds like the manufacturing costs only.

Doesn't matter how their automobile segment is doing as long as they keep advancing their SpaceX program. Their stocks spiked 70 fucking points in a 4 week span from the new car and their reusable rocket thrusters.

Like it or not, Tesla is the future.

Of course they do.

I get paid to shill post on this stupid website all day.
I hate it here.

Pls buy a tesla.

I mean, when you sell every car you make pretty quickly you don't need to spend that much I suppose.

They got what, like 300,000 model 3 preorders? Seems like marketing money could be better used elsewhere.

This, if you "turn a profit" as a growing company you fucked up HARD.

>Tesla has no marketing department

wew

marginal cost is the cost of producing one more unit of product. So it does ignore all of that, you're correct.

the 30k is what comes out of testa's wallet for each individual car, according to mueller.

>Starts with "Like"
>"And I'm like..."
I thought engineers spoke way better then that.

gotta put all that mind churning into documentation and reports I suppose.

And don't forget all those holy fuckball formulas they have to use.

no kidding.

here, have some l i g h t reading.
dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a505342.pdf
even stuff like Runge Kutta integrators are beyond me.

I looked at page 150 something. Or was it in the 140s. I don't remember.

"New Marketing" needs to fucking end now.

Hell, all marketing needs to cease to exist. It's too cringey for me to deal with.

I read something somewhere that the average car costs ~$7000 to manufacture before all the other shit gets figured in.

oh look, tesla did what boeing did in 1966

that seems kinda low. I also remember reading that apple makes more on each iPhone than an average car, so idk

tesla does have good value chain though

1.2 mil more square footage.

elon says there will be one in Eruop soon as well

>Elon says

Elon says a lot of things

the boeing facility has more volume. it's taller for most of the building to house aircraft

so do you faggot

Cry more shill

The Aalsmeer Flower Auction in the Netherlands has a bigger footprint.

Insane building, flowers everywhere.

>intern?
HE DOES IT FOR FREE LMAO

Elon has done most of what he said.

Such as?

gotta do it or else I can't graduate

yea speaking is most important for engineering

>they still can't turn a profit.
Despite being one of the lowest paying car or tech firms in the world.

inverse.com/article/31478-spacex-settles-underpaid-workers-lawsuit-for-4-million

>some Tesla fangay spent 30 minutes of his life doing this

>Makes claim about Tesla
>Links to an article about spacex

>this entire thread

Jesus oilcucks are fucking delusional

Y'all are in for a rough time over the next few years

Tide is gonna to go out and we're gonna find Musk swimming naked.

Spacex launch in 8 hours btw

>Doesn't read article before posting
>Makes himself look stupid

salon.com/2017/05/14/sorry-tesla-owners-but-your-electric-car/
Yet another engineer pointing out the folly of Tesla

>Makes claim about Tesla

The factory workers at Tesla make $17/hr. This isn't exactly news.

>Salon
user....

Maybe post a source? Be careful though! Tesla is actually a company that is NOT spacex, tricky stuff!

>Still hasn't read article
>Looks even more stupid.

>Checks link, yep still talks about both companies.

>Makes claim about Tesla

>unironically referencing Salon

Although I agree with what they're saying in that particular article...Salon? That's like citing the writings of Mike Tyson as serious thought.

>Still hasn't read article
>Looks even more stupid.

By God he's done it.

He understands that more then one company exists!

Yeah Tesla pays like shit everyone knows that oilcuck. They still make the best car on the road.

>Best car on the road
>Has to constantly shill and avoid talking about the shit company

>They still make the best car on the road.
This is untrue by every metric imaginable. Apart from 'muh 0-60 for half the battery charge' Tesla is not very good at anything.

Fastest 0-60
Safest car
Best autosteer
Best autobreaking
Best MPGe
National charging network

It's almost like they are better at everything

Huh

Then why don't you or almost anyone own one?

If you're dumb enough to take that pay you deserve it.

They sell cars faster then they can produce them. It's still a new company. Five years they will be the plurality of new car sales.

>safest

I love tesla as much as anyone, but depending on the testing agency they are just pretty good. I think the side 1/3 overlap could be better

>I-its gonna happen in 5 years
>Elon says so!

Most auto factories are indeed this large.

Objectively false. It's the second largest factory in the world.

What exactly is wrong with spending only very little on marketing ?

>Fastest 0-60
Single time lol
>Safest car
Subjective, electric cars get special treatment because wrecked cars catch on fire
>Best autosteer
Cramming their owners under semis is the "best" lol
>Best autobreaking
See above
>Best MPGe
Retarded measurement, basically says Tesla has an equivalent 5 gallon tank
>National charging network
What is gas stations. Free charging ended this year for new owners

>salon
Really jogs my noggin

>Fastest 0-60
Renders the car comatose for a while. Depletes battery in a couple of launches. Nothing but a marketing trick.
>Safest car
Nope. "However, a few days later NHTSA rebutted Tesla's claim, explaining that the rating for the Model S was equal to any other car receiving 5-stars, and claiming that the carmaker did not follow its advertising guidelines." Again, pure marketing bullshit.
>Best autosteer
>Best autobreaking
Gimmick, irrelevant until the point it's a full five-sigma autopilot. Incidentally marketed as such.
>Best MPGe
Laughable, considering total purchase and running costs outweigh any electric competitor several times. See 'marketing tricks'.
>National charging network
Hilarious, considering how slow and inconvenient electric charging is still. Doubly hilarious considering gasoline is still much more easily available. But 'm-muh supercharger marketing'.

Now my turn:
-Absolutely atrocious interior in looks, material quality, comfort and functionality
-Ironically abysmal environmental footprint, considering problems with current lithium battery recycling, as opposed to say Priuses NiMH ones
-Insane proprietary lock cuckoldry with remote access
-Extortionate prices entirely based on virtue-signaling needs of nouveau-riche Silicon Valley yuppies and tech illiterate socialite as well as investor's constant fear of missing out
-The hypocritical 'we don't do marketing' side by side with constantly injecting bullshit 'amazing facts' and creating fake hype through excitable millenial crowds

To summarize: fuck off and come back when Tesla isn't a shitty gimmick appliance for basic commuting, electroshill.

But what if I want a gimmick appliance for commenting?

Have you even driven one? It's quite nice imo. If I had the dosh I'd def get the model 3.