Why and how is it that California and Australia both have really strict laws about car related shit yet still have a...

Why and how is it that California and Australia both have really strict laws about car related shit yet still have a very rich and vibrant car culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LaqZNOvltAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because those "strict" rules are exaggerated by neckbeards in Veeky Forums

pre 1975 cars in California are smog free, that why so many people put sr20s in old 510s

bingo

i dont get out much, but i thought there was car culture almost everywhere

>smog check ups

just detune your car the day you are going to get inspected

it's not that fucking hard

>t. Obviously never lived here
These fuckers
-Inspect for all OEM equipment
-Cops have mobile emission detectors on the roadside
-Will fuck you over if you get pulled over and ask to pop the hood and aren't in compliance
-Have a database of parts you are allowed to put on, and if the part you want isn't there, you're boned.
-Even if the part you want is on the list there's a chance it isn't manyfactured anymore
>TL;DR California treats car modifications the way they treat gun ownership.

damn that is worse than I tought

I feel like you could get away with the emissions detector if you have different maps, but how exactly do they know what parts you have? you can hide most of them, unless it's an engine swap

Not that user but I've seen them get on the ground to see under your car to look for any illicit mods. They'll go to any extent to give you shit because they have a quota to fill.

ya the do this in enhanced smog counties meanwhile there are some counties like 12 of them that do not have smog checks every 2 years in California where anyone who is smart registers their car.

Australia has varying laws in different states. Some states like Victoria and Queensland are militant shitholes, but others aren't as hard-nosed about modifications.
It's usually a case of anything goes, so long as it's engineer certified, but good luck about getting it insured.

My friend got a '76-'78(?) Silver Shadow that failed the smog test. Shitsux.

>live in California
>register car in Montana

problem solved

I wouldn't say Victoria is militant, what makes you think that?

Victoria is bad if you have P plates and that's it, we're actually pretty decent compared to other states when it comes to modification. NSW is the worst

>still have a very rich and vibrant car culture?
Creativity and lawmakers not enforcing the "laws"

Not sure about aus but California has a very large and dense population base, while being very progressive so that burger flippers make 16 an hour. The large number of people means there is always something up for sale and nothing special so the cars are all devalued/easy to get a deal on so that nearly anyone can get any cars they want. Throw in their consistently sunny weather and canyon roads, it seems pretty good. Still wouldn't be worth dealing with all the hipsters and faggots though.

Because they don't make it impossibly expensive, unlike many yuropeon countries which as a result have no real car culture to speak of.

Ameridumb

cuck

Ok, anything else you want to tell me about your angsty life??

yes, keep giving me (You)s

>The Russian comes in to make fun of American Car Culture
Top Kek. The only car culture in Russia is the Russian Car Crash channel on YouTube.

Have a picture of my window right now then google what time is it in Russia

You are so stupid its not even funny

>he has a damaged popcorn ceiling

Enjoy your mesothelioma kek

Why do you think I have the name I do???

Then change your name to Asbestosis because that's probably what you have atm

Ok senpai

That's a gross exaggeration about Aus.

I know Perth doesn't give two shits. Never had an issue in Sydney but I've never given the cops a reason to. Apparently we're the worst followed by Brisbane and Melbourne.

I guess if you pull up alongside Highway Patrol in a drift box or stace shit then yeah, you'll get the defect notice easy.

I've heard next level shit about Cali though, like

Im getting kinda scared what if it actually has asbestos???

I lived in this house all my childhood man

You're dead. You're literally fucking dead 100%. rip

Why haven't you moved out kiddo?

Should I get a biopsy???

I am too young to die man

I already did, well kinda, my mom and younger brother still live here, i come here to visit often

On the bright side you can probably cash out on a sweet lawsuit if you live in the US of A

>Not american

Fugg

So you go to uni and come back for breaks

Idk but theyre gay AF and it doesnt stop the rest of us from calling them fags for it

They really aren't exaggerated. If you're car is new enough to require emissions testing it is very difficult to modify your car while remaining legal.

They check for fucking CARB numbers on fucking cold air intakes.

they have pictures of how the engine bay is supposed to look and if something is off they start looking to see if you have a CARB number

>it's not that fucking hard
It actually is.

Despite Emmissions, which can be defeated if you "know a guy" or if you live in a county that doesn't test smog, we have great weather, cars don't rust, a high population, so plenty of cars to choose from, high wages, so we have some money to spend on hobbies, and great driving roads. Because it's so common here, more and more people catch on and get into it.

The real answer in California's case is that the car culture has a 50 year head start on the legislation.

In some yuropoor country you can't modify your car at all.

car culture here is reading related manga on the couch and never using anything but metro trains

Nope, if you get pulled over they tell you you need to register your car in in X amount of days if you plan on being a dual resident. If you don't comply they will impound your car. Fun stuff California is.

Tell the cop you're just visiting then.

Australia doesn't have strict laws the fuck is this myth from

Not always that simple, and if they catch you driving around for more than a month than they can take action. Its fucking stupid as fuck.

Yeah like your cops dont take away your license for going 2 mph / 5kms over the speed limit

you're confused with yurop (except Germany)

Why not just register it in a no smog couny in California. Not everyone in California has to smog their car every 2 years.

If I moved to California and brought my M O D I F I E D 76 Dolomite, would the police hassle me all the time cause it's loud and smells of fuel?

there are two counties that don't do smog checks after sale. Two. Not twelve.

Your retarded use the internet before you post. These counties do not require smog check.
Alpine
Amador
Calaveras
Del Norte
Humboldt
Imperial
Inyo
Lake
Lassen
Mariposa
Mendocino
Modoc
Mono
Plumas
Sierra
Siskiyou
Trinity
Tuolumne

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

I live in lake county you only need to smog on initial transfer of title into your name. So you can modify or swap engines however you want after that because there are no 2 year checks. Looks like there are way more then 12 counties that are this way with essentially no smog check.

That is a whole lot of California that doesn't require smog checks every 2 years. Guess we know where all the rich people and politicians have their vacation houses where all their cars are registered.

nope its once the car becomes a classic. it doesn't need smog checks and that age is 35 y/o. also bikes don't need smog checks at all. California is Biker Heaven. Except for LA which is a Hell hole in every demographic

Nope it has nothing to do with classic the year for smog exempt used to move up. The State is constantly changing the smog program. It used to be that any vehicle 30 years old or older did not have to be smogged, so one year model was dropped off the rolls every year. That law has since been changed, so currently any gas model 1976 or newer has to be smogged.

While motorcycles don't require smog checks yet in Cal your still not legally allowed to make modifications to the exhaust without a CARB sticker. any motorcycle model that is dated 2013 or later or has an aftermarket exhaust system must have an official noise emission label from the Environmental Protection Agency placed on it before it can be lawfully operated or even parked in the state of California.

On Sept. 28, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 435, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavey (D-Agoura Hills). While motorcycle manufacturers have been complying with the federal law since it was effective in 1983, the new law now makes it a state crime to operate any motorcycle registered in the state that was built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, that doesn’t have a federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system sound emissions label.

In addition, the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to display the EPA sound emissions label, and therefore applies to individuals who seek to replace the exhaust system on affected streetbikes.

It's not. It's been dying slowly.
Too many lib fags

why are so many s-chassis in cali
and how can they get through with engine swaps

This is precisely why yurop has no car culture anymore.

Good, because rice rockets are loud and annoying as shit.

>Know guy from HS
>Constantly bitches and groans about how people don't watch out for bikes
>Also posts videos of him and his dipshit friends weaving through slow traffic going over 100 and other shenanigans testing the upper limits of Darwinism
>Eventually crashes a couple times doing wheelies and other dumb shit
>At one point gets his entire back skingraphed because he wiped out not wearing any leathers
>Now he cannot ride because he's uninsurable and the cops despise and harass him

Superbikes are cool, but the people and culture behind them is rooted in sheer stupidity.

Got pulled over recently for loud exhaust on my bike. Pointed out the stock pipe to officer with the federal and California approved stamp on my exhaust. He then States he is writing me up for exhibition sense I used too much too fast of my 250cc power. yet 5 Harley Davidson motorcycles with straight pipes rode past us at 6000 rpm. It's called selective enforcement.

There are many ways to defiet the smog program in California all you need is money but if you don't have money you shouldn't be trying to live in California.

that shit actually happens alot around here.
>buy plot of land in middle of nowhere montana
>register every fucking car there and enjoy the tax breaks etc

The car insurance when I was in Montana was actually more then when my car was registered in California. The out of state plate registration dosnt work well if your parked in public lots every day for work the police routinely drive through with plate cameras plus the lot attendants turn you in. If you live in a smaller town and local cops see your car parked in the same place for a few weeks they will question. It's not the optimal way to go.

Funny part is my 1971 f150 is swapped with a fuel injection 5.0 with no cats and it runs cleaner then it did with stock motor and carburetor. I figure ive got one of them green ultra low emissions vehicles now.

as long as the car is old enough you don't need to worry about emissions

>just register it in a no smog county
Because the law says your primary residence. If you lie, then your insurance company will
deny all claims.
Rich people are too smart to get mouth fucked in this way.

>76
yes

Bullshit it happens in nsw all the time and it's 20-40km/h+ over

>then states he is writing me up for exhibition
That's what you get for mouthing off. Should've shut the fuck up and taken your fix-it-ticket like a man.

Doesn't change the fact that if you get pulled over a cop will still give you a ref ticket. Living in these areas doesn't make you invincible to smog laws. Just makes it so you don't have to get checked at a station.

but then you have to restore the car to original factory specs to sell it, and some of the smog parts may no longer work

True, but most of these heavily modified cars don't end up being sold and instead get wrapped around a tree. Either way, nowhere in California is safe from a bored cop with a shoestring budget precinct. Most of the reason I'm trying to leave for Colorado.

How am I going to fix a stock unmodified factory equiped exhaust system. Should I just replace it because it has 30k miles on it.

Why wouldn't you have your drivers licence there too. I'm going to primarily live where ever gets me the best benefits.

Thinking you don't have to smog in Denver.

>be me
>ride Hamburger-Davidson bike
>at a stoplight in town
>vuvuzela sounds fill the air as I am surrounded by neon-painted Ninjas and GSXR's topped by college teens wearing mirrored Icon Variants with GoPro's on the side.
>poke and prod at me "huehue get a real bike!" and make rumble sounds with their mouths
>reach over with my foot and kick his shift in gear to shut him up and knock him off
>motofagsassemble.mov
>everyone hops off their ricearonis and gets in my face, red recording lights on their GoPro's flashing
>"Harley guy freaks out WTF!!! What's your problem man?!"
>shake my head and blast them with my V&H Longshots as the light turns green.

Sporties are the reason cruiser guys hate sporties.

Your average cop isn't inspecting your vehicle for stock installed smog equipment. ya he could and he could crush your stanced ricer with a can muffler too for Street racing. If you want to get technical even your 1975 vehicle is supposed to have all working federal and state smog equipment installed and working. I have a 1973 Datsun 510 and it had a bunch of smog and evap stuff on it before I swapped a 13b in.

Good thing I ride a dual sport with a stock pipe that is too loud in a town with a Harley Davidson dealer selling straight pipes for all the Dr's and lawyers who want to play biker gang on the weekend in summer.

What kind of bike user? Love meeting other m/o/tos.

>pic related, my baiku

Live in California Don't want to break any rules The Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act is a 1965 amendment to the U.S. Clean Air Act of 1963. The amendment set the first federal vehicle emissions standards, beginning with the 1968 models. Have classic car 1968 model year leave it completely stock with all factory required smog equipment. The Hot rod era died in 1965.

What part of California do you live in? I've lived in the SF east bay and have been pulled over by a cop once in my whole time here and it was because my rego was expired (my sister in law's car, rego 3 years out of date) and he let me go with a warning.

Meant to say lived here for 2 years.

>-Will fuck you over if you get pulled over and ask to pop the hood and aren't in compliance

Unbolt hood release say you can't undo it and if they try to do it let them do it. Would that work?

Mobile smog check Socal.
youtu.be/LaqZNOvltAg

To report a smoking vehicle, you may submit a Complaint Form for Smoking Vehicles to the Air Resources Board, or call ARB or the local Air Pollution Control District.
Please have this information ready to report:

Vehicle Type
License Plate Number
Date, Time, and Location of the Incident
Make and Model of the Vehicle

Call the Air Resources Board or the local Air Pollution Control District:

The following phone numbers are available in the regions listed:
Air Resources Board (throughout California) 1-800-END-SMOG
Bay Area AQMD 1-800-EXHAUST
Smoking Vehicle Assistance Program

San Diego County APCD 1-800-28-SMOKE
San Joaquin Valley Unified APCD 1-800-559-9AIR
Shasta County AQMD 1-888-249-SMOG
South Coast AQMD 1-800-CUT-SMOG
Ventura County APCD 1-800-559-SMOG

I know who imma call during the next Socal and nor Cal meet up. The CHP never show up but I bet the smog police would love some anonymous tips on modified shitboxes.

I'm researching Colorado Springs. El Paso county no longer requires smog. With pikes peak a mere 12 miles away, it's looking REAL nice

Bikefags and pedalcucks are the same in the sense that they both love to play the victim.

They make u smog your diesel truck there so no rolling coal or power tuners for u.

>Unbolt hood release say you can't undo it and if they try to do it let them do it. Would that work?

Nope! If they suspect illegal mods they'll slap you with a court summons requiring you to bring an inspection sheet from an inspector of their choosing cataloging all you're illegal mods and smog violations.

I want to move there. become the fastest on the mountain and race down pikes peak in my panda trueno (tempo)

The rules are made because the isolated rich fucks who rule us want that car culture gone if it's big enough to notice.

Too loud, too smelly, too dangerous, too masculine. It should only be allowed in tracks with sky high entrance fees to keep the tasteless poor out.

That's fine. Any serious full system you stand to gain ACTUAL power from has all that shit, and the track only version is actually deafening. Short of that you'll get the best gains just by de-smogging the stock tune.

I don't see the practical problem unless you're some idiot with a cheap delk/akra slip on because "muh open pipe, saves lives, muh sound, muh muh muh"

Also
>2013 or newer

Because no one follows the gay rules you homo.