What does Veeky Forums think of kit-cars? Worthless timesinks, or the gateway to true Veeky Forumstism?

What does Veeky Forums think of kit-cars? Worthless timesinks, or the gateway to true Veeky Forumstism?

probably a ton of fun if you have the money and time to invest in them

Very few actually get finished
Like most kits from any hobby, they are never as straightforward as they claim to be and most likely will require fabrication/modification
Resale is a pain, only worth it if you will hold on to it forever

I'm sure the brands that have been around like Superformance and Caterham make good kits. It's just so cheap to get a random shell of an already registered street car that a kit car doesn't appeal to me, you can get a great looking 60s American car and turn it into anything you want with whats out there these days.

it's like any kit, half the fun is the assembly. don't like assembling stuff?

Not to mention you can blueprint your own body works really easily now and a lot of the equipment needed for fabrication is dirt cheap second hand.

A caterham is my dream car, unfortunately they can only be bought pre-built and are ludicrously expensive in australia.

I kinda want to built a Factory Five Cobra some day.

Here's a GTM, liked the Camaro brake light job they did.

They have their place. The good ones.

I would prefer to turn a production chassis into whatever I wanted, but kit cars still have their place.
All the engineering has been done for you. Not many people are going to design, engineer, and fabricate their own tube car.

Like if you wanted a Formula car you wouldn't build it yourself you'd just buy a Lola or Van Diemen or whatever.

Same with offroad racing. Not many build their own class 10 or class 1 car, the vast majority are sold as rollers from a chassis mfg.

Do exocets count as kit cars? I want one, thinking of saving up for one instead of getting an old fiat 2000 spider

I definitely want to build a rotary factory five car at some point, assuming they're still around when I have a garage and some dosh. I just can't decide if a 33 Hot Rod or 818c would be better with a doritos

One of these with a LS would be tasty.

I want one so bad :(

I want one so i can chase down rogue self driving cars.

>What does Veeky Forums think of kit-cars?
Depends what you mean by "kit cars".
If it's one of those shitty lambo bodies you slap on a p.o.s. Pontiac Fiero, they are frankly the saddest thing ever conceived, worse than hair pieces.

Caterham kits, when properly and competently assembled are freakin awesome.

Cooling will be hell with the mid engine 818, I'd do a Cobra to annoy fanboyss.

Ever since I accepted that Viper will never be a car I buy, the GTM became my ultimate car goal. If I suddenly became wealthy I'd do that thing where you can participate in the process of them building it.

No, you're supposed to build the GTM yourself. Same with all of their kits. That's how they're so cheap.

They're cheap even built

Caterhams are fucking great. I almost bought one this year till I lost my job. Soon as I get back on my feet, I'll be getting the 420.

The Superlite GT-R would be my ultimate daily. ~50k all said and done, looks like something worth double that if completed properly, hoon-worthy performance, large enough boot to make grocery trips not-torturous.

>no Superlite SLC

>straight-piped ported 20B Cobra in BRG
I didn't know I wanted this but
>muh dick

I love them. My dream garage would be:

Superlite SLC (twin turbo BMW v12)
Lister bell stratos (busso v6)
F1-67 (BMW v12)

Luxury Super car, and two extreme track cars

>I accepted that Viper will never be a car I buy
Why? I constantly see the early ones without all the driving nannies for sale for under $30,000 with under 50,000 miles.

I want to build one of these with a Subaru engine.

> The idea
Great if you're so autistic to want to build your own car.
> The cars themselves
My uncle had one ages ago, and took me for a ride in it. Crazy accelration, braking, and handling with your backside an inch from the road.

the cost of spare parts would kill him financially, especially body panels

Looks like tons of fun. Too bad its kinda expensive for an engine on wheels.

kit planes are way more interesting desu