Washingt/o/n meet thread

Washingt/o/n meet thread
>I'm new and I don't think I have the authority to make this thread edition

In the census thread there seemed to be some excitement for a meet. I've never been to one but I think it would be a lot of fun even though I'm afraid I'll get made fun of for driving an autotragic
So what's the protocol for this?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15463224/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15897356/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15682555/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No user is in charge, just pick a time and place and spread the word. Meeting up near a good driving road and then going for a cruise is usually what happens.

Setting up a Kik might be a good idea if you don't want to keep bumping this thread.

I'll probably show up in an auto too unless I can get my MR2 ready in time.

Hm. Well, it seems like this stuff usually takes place in the Seattle area because that's where most of the people are right? I'm a two hour drive North, and don't know the area at all so I definitely shouldn't try to figure that stuff out. I was kinda just trying to promt someone else to do it.

I heard chuckanut is a fun place to drive, looking at it here it doesn't seem like it's that cool. Good scenery though and right by the bay. If you guys do think it would be a cool place, I doubt people would want to come this far north

yea, that's pretty far north. Maaaaybe somewhere a little more south.

Yeah, pretty much going to come down to either a coastal drive north of Seattle or a mountain drive to the east.

There's good mountain scenery once you get past Lake Sammamish and into Carnation/Duvall but I don't remember any specific roads that are good for driving. I stayed at my friends house out in Sammamish last summer and drove on some nice twisty back roads that put me right at hwy 405 and 522.

There's good coastal roads up near Bellingham like the one you posted, it's a 1.5 hour drive North for me. If I remember right there's even a stretch that was used for car commercials back in the day, or at least that's what my Dad told me when we drove on it.

Honestly there's a lot of places with good scenery, but speed limits/traffic can ruin it. I would probably wait for more anons to chime in to gauge what location would have the best turnout.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't really know any other area down south so I guess it's up to someone else.
It's kinda funny though, this is actually 20 miles south of me. I'd be willing to travel south a ways though.

A meet would be awesome! We have a Kik from some older meets already set up.

Glad you made the thread OP, I've been checking for one before bed the last couple nights.

Chuckanut has pretty good "reviews", like people say it's fun, but it's a little too far north for me as well. Unfortunately I've only been here a few months and most of my time has been dedicated to work / friends, so I'm not familiar with any enjoyable driving roads.

Definitely want a Seattle Veeky Forums meetup to happen though, would definitely be fun I think. I'll check back here tomorrow and see what's up.

I've been to a couple Washingt/o/n meets and I'm on the kik, it's a fun group. Not super big like the Cali meets but still fun.

someone said this is a nice road to drive on, i wouldn't know though.

Well I guess I better download Kik.

>So what's the protocol for this?
Meets tend to alternate to a different area each time. If there is one in the south end, the next meet was elsewhere such as north. Since the previous Meets were south and then north, possibly the next meet could be west or east.

Generally, it was found that a 2 week advance notice was the best compromise. One week notice was too short as it collided with family and work schedules that get set a week at a time. Longer than 2 weeks and we run out of time to discuss the choices for the next event and hold the event because we want to do events before the rainy or ice season.

For those who recently moved to washington, some places don't open until july. So you can see if too much time is spent dickering on things, the driving season for some parts of washington has come and gone.

If we went to the north cascades, the Meet after this next one would be a better time due to opening of roads and road repairs. Also, the July and August months are the driest. So it would be good to get two Meets into those months instead of just one.

As mentioned in the other thread, these are some past WA meets:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15463224/

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15897356/

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15682555/

These threads are useful because they mention various places to have Meets that have not been done in awhile. So it's time to use the previously unused ideas out of those threads.

>tfw Veeky Forumsregon
>tfw finally have a car 100% my own
>tfw getting back into the habit of driving stick (though tbqh I never really got into it in the first place)
>tfw I lived in Seattle for a bit once
>tfw the idea of all those hill starts and constant traffic jams makes me nervous

I'd definitely want to try and make it up for a meet, but I'd avoid that city like the plague.

That drive from randall to swift is beautiful. But the road is fucked up the whole entire way

I can't imagine Seattle with a stick.
I go to school in Pullman and the amount of hills and how icy they get is making it hard to convince myself to get a manual

I have no idea how my dad used to do it, man. Or my grandpa. Or anyone else in my family for that matter.

Chuckanut is pretty but the lanes can get pretty tight and busy. Its nice if youre coming to or leaving that area of WA.

There are some nice long windy country roads on the way to duvall. Also ravensdale.

Just don't drive when it snows :)

Good roads (kinda)

528 from I-5 west, up through stanwood, get to chuckanut eventually that way, it's somewhat fun but there's traffic from time to time.

Mountainloop is cool in parts, borderline off-road in others, and I don't think it's open yet.

I live in Spokane should I go? I drive a shitbox my mom handed down to me and 5 hours seems like a lot but I could bring some other Spokane bros

There's a few Seattle anons and a lot of WAnons more spread out. We should mini-meet in Seattle and cruise lake Washington Blvd

I drive stick in Seattle daily and my handbrake is broken lol. Fast feet boi

do it

My feet aren't even fast enough to stop from rolling back half a foot on gentle slopes yet... I gotta lotta learning to do if I want to make it up for any May meet.

>Setting up a Kik might be a good idea if you don't want to keep bumping this thread.

A lot of the actual organizing has happened on KIK and the Veeky Forums thread simply had some of the idea suggestions. Talking things out in voice is far more efficient than posting here with all its delays. But please do post the final decision in the thread with 2 weeks notice. But if we keep on waiting and waiting, the driving season will go by.

This rainy season sure has gone on way longer than usual. Normally, the end of march or mid april is the limit.

Hurricane Ridge is one possibility. We can also have a peninsula drive.

It's spring in eastern washington, so it's not time for the eastern washington desert. So that area is a nice drive too but I am at a loss to find interesting twisty roads to drive over there that aren't full of local cops wanting to ticket speeders.

There are some lurkers without kik that use the thread for final details.

I also think if more people brought walkie talkies the meets would be a lot more smoother with the communication

The only car that has a chance of citizen's band is the Crown Victoria..... I do have two of the extended range walky talkies from toshiba, but I am busy paying attention to the twisty road with both hands in use. I don't feel like going over the edge! Some of the WA roads we've been on have had no guard rails and a real cliff falloff hundreds of feet. Pretty awesome view and genuine concern. Good if you are interested in a genuine drive like in those youtube videos where a car goes off the edge of the road and rolls and rolls and rolls.

As my car is rolling, I suppose I could talk on the walky talky then lol.

I live in Pullman and drive a stick. The key is to get some good all-weathers and don't drive like a moron. They throw a shitton of gravel down too.

>I also think if more people brought walkie talkies the meets would be a lot more smoother with the communication

When people get separated, it's important to have a fall back plan such as everyone goes ahead to meet at a certain point. At the good meets, there are people who pay attention in case someone drives too fast and slides off the road or falls behind because they can't keep up.

Do /WA/ Veeky Forums Meets have some method to look out for people?

>or falls behind because they can't keep up

This would be me for sure, so I hope they have some kind of fallback plan.

In N/o/rcal we were usually split into two groups, hektik and cruise, at least one walkie-talkie between the groups to stay in touch.

In past WA Meets, we used the "Can You Still See The Car Behind You" method. That allowed people to fall behind a bit but or even a lot from the pack leader but still have someone watching out for safety's sake. The goal was to have a fast twisty scenic drive but not try to set an all time speed record like in those unreasonable youtube videos. After all, too many of those attempts have had fails (not shown in video) where someone else had an accident.

The WA Meets have been fortunate in that no one has the desire to try to ratchet up the daring or speed to try to wreck the least skilled member. This approach is also good for the pack leader who has to watch out for patrol cars rather than watch out for others in the group. In some respects, the 2nd car is closer to being the pack leader for regulating speed because as long as the 1st car is able to keep going fast and doesn't slam down brakes, then the rest assume there is no copper.

I've observed with interest how people start up their cars and join the pack. Some wait assuming all the fastest cars or fastest drivers go first. Most don't care and the first drivers in the car take off first to get their position in the pack.

This seems really comfy.

Also I'm one of the people that would get updates using this thread. I don't know how to even use Kik. As long as threads stay up I'll do my best to attend!

>"Can You Still See The Car Behind You" method
It works because the person in front slows down if they can no longer see the person in back. This allows the rearmost person to catch up of course if something delayed them. And it also causes the head to slow down a little if the 2nd or 3rd person starts to get out of sight.

There's no problem about the rear person always being too far. This method would fail on the german autobahn if the lead car was a 2016 Formula 1 and the last car was a Yugo. But every now and then, the lead car will get slowed down by some other car in front. So the whole train of Meet cars eventually catches up and winds up pretty close unless too many cars get in between.

Our past leader cars (I am guessing the first three or so) seem to have the signal protocol down. If they want others to go offroad to wait, one of them turns on the right blinker. Pretty soon, everyone has turned on their right blinker and we all pull off the road to either wait or discuss where to go next. It works pretty well and is yet another experience that tests alertness of our driving.

I'm probably more of the tourist type and not even of the cruise type. Many times, I want to stop at all the interesting places we are passing by. I never knew there was a australian animal petting zoo in WA state, but we passed right by one.

Somebody has to step up and take charge, probably via KIK. Otherwise, the rest of us who have no experience will end up waiting forever for something to happen.

>Washingt/o/n meet thread

Is the WA Meet group the only one that is led by motorcycle riders? The organizer that stepped up was the owner of the WAT motorcycle in this picture.

I'll join too if I get my G37 fixed by the time the meet starts. Otherwise wouldn't wanna show up in my shitbox Civic.

>Otherwise wouldn't wanna show up in my shitbox Civic.
You should show up anyways as long as it doesn't break down on the road!

>We have a Kik from some older meets already set up.
Time for everyone to get on the KIK and set up the next meet. There are lots of unused ideas of places to go in the links at

Is that a jab at my mr2 m8

Is that a jab at my mr2 m8

Wow Veeky Forums and it's shitty fucking servers

Living in Bellingham I can vouch that Chuckanut is the shit if it's wide open. The roads are tight and there's a decent amount of twisties, also the scenery is fantastic. But you get stuck behind one local dawdling at 10 under, or some hur imma car cyclist and you're hosed, pretty much no passing lanes. It's pretty popular for local cruises though.

This. The roads in Pullman aren't that bad if you have proper tires. Living in eastern wa it's worth it to invest in some winter tires.

That said I have fond memories of living across from the belltower and sliding down my gravel driveway that always froze into an ice slide because the grade was too steep and groundwater literally flowed out of the side of it.

>Is that a jab at my mr2 m8
I don't know about your MR2. Is there a story behind it? I was responding to the guy with the Infiniti G37 who would rather miss out than show up in a Civic.

My mr2s fuel pump crapped out partway through an Veeky Forums meet in mt rainiers park. So I was that guy who's car broke down at a meet that time

What about RWD? My parents keep saying its a bad idea for that weather

I just hope the previous people who picked out the Meet agenda on KIK last year will get involved this year too. It's not like I have their phone number and can call any of them.

This was something seen on the Veeky Forums Mount Oso Meet last summer. I wonder if he's still around?

Can someone invite me to the kik group?
I'm on mobile so I can't scan the code
Kik is Decemberwyatt

wat guy here, i didnt lead anything i just pitched ideas, once we get a decent agreement rate we figure out a date. i jsut take bikes on these meets because my cars arent much fun for it

Post here your kik name and what car you'll be bringing.

can i come if i dont have a car

can you run really fast?
or you can suck some dick to ride with someone

im buying a car early june

when is this happening?

NEW MEET THREAD WITH UPDATED INFORMATION