R8 my newest acquisition

R8 my newest acquisition
>85 Celica GT
>88K miles
>automatic (inb4 ruined... I know)
>everything works except power mirrors and antenna
>power steering makes noise when turning

Paid $1400. How'd I do?

I remember seeing you post this and saying the lowest he'd go was $1600. Seems like a pretty damn good deal considering how clean it is. Definitely a little jealous.

Moar

boring to drive
slow
ugly

had a 1983

couldve done a whole lot better

Used to have a celica supra, the interior on these celicas are maximum comfy. This thing should make a pretty neat retro daily.

Yeah, we agreed on 1600, but I asked for a lower price because he didn't mention the power steering noise in the ad. The AC works, which is nice

Oh cool, nice to see you actually got it, OP. Hope it lasts you forever.

Last photo

fug OP I'm jelly.

I can't wait to purchase a cool second hand car later this year.

wow dude, very nice. those seats and wheels are delicious...

>modern head unit

Eyyyyyy, score.

Jesus OP it looks so nice. Celicas in that body style here on the East Coast shit coast go for double what you paid in 10x worse condition.

Here in CA some Filipinnigger would have paid $10K for it and immediately stanced it and added a whale tail.

looks good, I have a 2XR as well, get a manual rack, ditch the power steering system, air injection (if it has it and you can) and get an electric fan, those mods gave me almost as much power as a cam and a weber.

Bull fucking shit.

I had a corona which is basically the same car.. same chassis, same engine etc and it's one of the funnest cars I've ever driven.

Even funner than many cars that were more powerful.

>1400
Dun goof'd

That's a 700 dollar shitbox, especially because lolauto. Redeem yourself by swapping the engine and putting a 5 speed into it

Didnt take long for the manuel fags to show up.

OP should turn it into a CVT to spite the fuck out of all of you annoying niggers.

80's cars are going up in value.

The car is too old to use as a reliable daily unless OP is really into wrenching. Best chance for it as a fun car is to make it into a corner-carver, and 3-speed autos on 4 cylinders suck ass (and gas)

Unless it was a manual GTS, I wouldn't bet on seeing a massive increase in value desu

>The car is too old to use as a reliable daily
>auto coupe from the era of actual Toyota Quality* (*Rust Protection not included)
>needing any more wrenching than a modern car

It's a fucking Celica, not a Ferrari. You don't have to baby the fucking thing if you do regular maintenance on it and don't hoon the absolute shit out of it.

Any 30 year old car is going to have LOTS of problems unless the previous owner took meticulous care of it. And that's if there are still aftermarket parts available for it

>Any 30 year old car is going to have LOTS of problems
Not any more than any other used car.
>And that's if there are still aftermarket parts available for it
It's a fucking Toyota. What, do you think it's a 2000GT or something?

>not any more than any used car
You think a 30 year old car will have just the same amount of problems as a 5 year old car? Also, OP will either get lucky and have tons of cheap parts available like I did with my 280ZX or he'll have nothing at all

nice, you actually bought it. for $1400 that's a really good deal.
now you just gotta swap the tranny

Not a massive increase like some old collectable.

I mean they are going up in value in tiny little bits very slowly.

90's cars are the new shit boxes.

>You think a 30 year old car will have just the same amount of problems as a 5 year old car?
When it's a Toyota with only 88k miles? Yeah, I can see it. We're not talking about a 300k mile beat to shit GM A-Body here.

>only putting miles on it creates wear and tear

Do you honestly try to be this retarded or does it come to you naturally? Metal still rusts, rubber bushings still degrade, seals and gaskets fail, fuel lines and oil pans gunk up. With that low of mileage, the car sat for a very long time

Shut the fuck up and let OP enjoy his (hopefully reliable) car.

That looks so damn good.

OP this is a clean old survivor, plz don't stance it or dagumi it into a fence. Detail the living shit out of it. Try to return everything to stock.(you can hide a modern stereo in the glovebox/console) and use oem type replacement parts. It will be the most unique celica around in a few more years.

this
I think blownhgfag is jelly of op's little creampuff

This is true, the only true way to daily an old is if it's been fully restored, sure you'll have a lucky car that'll pull through, but the majority of old cars will have its issues.

This is the engine bay. 22re with 88k miles should last a long time desu. The owner was an old lady who drove it a few thousand miles a year. I'm just going to replace things as they fail and shop around for a manual transmission while I daily drive it

Don't do a manual swap.. You can find the car in manual for like 3k if you really want one so badly.

Thats some good shit OP, you better treat it nicely

>do a manual swap

>just do it

Oh wise one please continue to share your amazing knowledge

>No signs of visible rust
You done good OP

It's a cute! Nice op.

Very nice and clean. Don't blow it, OP

jesus christ i drive a manual but you faggot never fucking shut up, he's bought a beautiful stock car and if you had your way it would be ruined by lunchtime

more pics pls, is that a blue cali plate further up thread? please keep it stock and is there anywhere you could give regular updates in this ?

That shit's cool.

What're your future plans for it?

>automatic with neglectful owner
I wouldn't have paid over 1k for it, desu.

Damn, whoever owned it really took good care of it

Nice you ended up getting it.

I'm a sucker for third gens so I'm biased but I say you did okay.

Hold up, you guys are saying I SHOULDN'T stance it and put a Fujiwara Tofu Shop decal on it? Memes aside, I'm just going to drive it and slowly restore it for now. Seems a shame to swap in a manual if the auto is working perfectly now. Although it kills a little piece of my soul to drive a RWD car in auto

>Seems a shame to swap in a manual if the auto is working perfectly now. Although it kills a little piece of my soul to drive a RWD car in auto
Swallow your pride and keep it stock, it will last much longer as is, trust me.

it isn't a fucking show car. it is far from pristine and has 88k miles. it isn't a collectable or super rare, nor is it appreciating in value. do what you want with it

>he fucking did it

You did good son.

you must have low/weird standards

the only car Ive driven that was worse was a 2003 Impala

firmly planted behind an automatic GA16DE Sentra, a 1984 Toyota Pickup, a 1988 Ram, and a fucking 1997 Camry V6

That's not the point. It has made it this far without rusting out, being balled up, missing a ton of parts. It looks to still have good oem wheels and center caps. Oem paint looks presentable Interior seems like it could be revived with a deep cleaning. Why would you start hacking it up to do anything to it? If you want it to be fast, A 22R isn't doing it.
I have a full tilt N/A street motor and it's 150hp, (or was years ago)
>So 3SGE swap.
>Oh, needs a rear diff and gears.
(The old highway cogged one legger is gonna be lame)
>Now it needs wheels/tires susp, and brakes to keep up with the power
>new seats and harnesses to hold you in
>prob need hacked up just like moog's mini to fit shifter location/engine clearance etc.
Could've just bought a faster car that will be safer at speed by the time you've made this into any kind of performer. Unless you have your heart set on totally building a 3rd gen that isn't even a GTS, I fail to see the point.

Nice job op thats a great deal.I almost bought a 1984 celica but it was a massive shitbox.The wiring was fucked the horn was nigger rigged as fuck.It drove so dam good tho i was about to buy when i saw it was leaking tranny fluid.Had to turn it down in front of the notary felt like an ass but the owner never mentioned leaks.Pic related the shit box that was never meant to be.
>Ended up getting a good deal on a one owner 92 lexus sc400 with stacks of original paper work.

Probably for the best that it's an autotragic, my folks put on 5 different clutches through out their Celica's life.

Nice

Though I'm so conflicted on what to get for a second car. I want something fun to drive like a Miata but I also want a nice old japanese shitbox to maintain (which most likely won't be fun to drive) like your celica. But I can't have 3 cars

that's because ur mum rode the clutch.

nah, between my mom and dad, my dad would have rode the clutch.

Squad up boys

You must be retarded or something.

These cars handle brilliantly.

Score. I'm pretty sure they only made the notchback 3rd gen Celicas in 1985 only.

nah I had an 83 st notch when i was in high school

>new seats and harnesses to hold you in

not like he's going to drive it on the hurrdurr ring.

First thing I'd get on the market for would be the headlight motors that allow them to flip.

Thats a nice little gem you acquired, lots of nostalgia.

you did great OP, 22r is perfect for a DD. I've been DDing an 81 corona with one for 5 years, and it hasnt broke down on me once. and its got twice as many miles as your celica, although it was well maintained.

just because you havent owned a good and reliable old car doesnt mean theyre not out there. of course youre gonna have to do maintenance and replace rubber stuff going out and fuel lines and shit, but that doesn't mean its unreliable, and the maintenance should be extremely easy to do on OPs car if it's like mine. also for parts, 22r parts are fucking everywhere because of the trucks.

no they dont

theyre just so damn slow you cant get into trouble with it

low standards comfirmed

I'm glad it's an auto otherwise I'd drown in jelly. That's a solid deal and a great color OP.