Is it a meme or is it really THAT great? People only talk about its pros and never its cons like it doesn't have any...

Is it a meme or is it really THAT great? People only talk about its pros and never its cons like it doesn't have any. Nobody in our family has owned an electric car. Does it make things more conveniant or annoying?

Thinking of getting my son one of these for college graduation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>People only talk about its pros and never its cons like it doesn't have any.
Literally every thread here about it is shit up with autismos sperging at Tesla.
>Thinking of getting my son one of these for college graduation.
Just how miserable is your life that you spend your days posting 0/10 bait on a forum for dimwitted teens?

Tesla's quality control is hit-and-miss, ranging from poor panel fit to cracked frames.
Ability to find a charging station away from home depends on where you live in the country and how big of a city you're in.

I don't frequent Veeky Forums so I figured I'd make a thread asking people who knew more than me

apple of cars

To elaborate, finding a charging station in even a moderately large city in a flyover state is highly unlikely.

They're decent cars but massively overpriced considering the quality. Tesla is all about showing the potential of electric cars, if you want to be on the cutting edge of automotive technology and are willing to pay a 150% premium to get in on it, get one. They're a car for tech geeks, not motor enthusiasts.

If you are interested in going electric then you would be better looking at one of the more successful and reliable brands like Nissan or VW.

They are good, to say the very least. Probably the first electric car to really crack the market and show the public just how good they can be.

However, it has an awful, awful community. Absolutely toxic. Just about every other person who really likes Teslas that I've ever known has been one of those numale Elon Musk worshippers who think he's Jesus reincarnate. Trust me... you know the type. They usually work as software developers or IT professionals, are balding, have an almost feverish obsession with supporting feminism and anti racism movements but not actually doing anything about it, and probably ride a $5000 bicycle on the weekends while wearing lycra.

Well...

I don't have too much to say about them, as they are the first electric car to break the mold and become a mainstream thing, but each one is sold at a massive loss so business wise it's starting in the bin just like most of Musk's companies

But I live on Cape Cod and in the summer I see a ton of these with New Jersey plates. And I know for a fact that the rich areas of Jersey are more than 315 miles away, meaning the owners have to stop along the way and wait for their car to charge up. So that makes me laugh a little when I see one

Also quads

shut up

made the only electric cars worth giving a shit about, and arguably still do since the bolt's pretty meh.

The question is whether they will remain standing once everyone else starts competing directly with the model s and 3

>The question is whether they will remain standing once everyone else starts competing directly with the model s and 3
Possibly. They've got a leg up with the gigafactory. Depends how quickly the other manufacturers can scale up once they start seriously investing in electric. Tesla have about a decade to fix up their quality issues and bring the price of their cars right down before Ford, Volkswagen and Toyota start nipping at their heels

the real question is how much longer idiots will fall for inferior technology.
pro tip: big manufacturers would have started to build electric cars decades ago if it made sense but it simply doesn't and it never will.

Dad leases a Leaf (as his own corporate car), we live in California

Good:
HOV lane pass, saves him time if commuting to/from LA during traffic hours.
Overall maintenance is minimal, charge it and check tires, that's it.

Bad (as an electric in general, not gonna shit on it as a cheap commuter car):
Fast charge is a mandatory even though it's presented as an option.
You have to think about not only is there a charge station if you are traveling many miles, but also are you willing to wait in the middle of a parking lot for 45 min. while your car charges.
And this might be silly, but tbqh I think "silent" electric cars are more of a health hazard to both pedestrians and the driver. No proof or even anecdote, but I think so.

In answer to OP, more annoying imo.

Quality issues aside Tesla make damn good cars that have performance close to supercars. It's a little bit silly to say that it will never make sense to make electric cars because petroleum is finite and inevitably it's going to get more expensive as we move on to harder to extract sources. The scale will tip at some point and make electric cars more economically viable than ICE cars

True, but we have another 100 years of supply of "cheap" oil left right now.

Thats without assuming any new technology in the next 100 years wont make previously expensive/hard to get oil cheaply extractable.

And in a large city it's a pain in the ass because there are tons of EV nerds fighting over the same charging spots. The people I know with Teslas don't DD theirs because of that. You're kind of banking on Tesla rolling out their Supercharger network really quickly ahead of the 3, and on Tesla not falling apart because the 3 wound up being the big play in a Ponzi scheme, as some have alleged.

VW is arguably going to be up their ass first since they're fucking charging head long into EVs now and dumping fuckloads of money into their ev division since the epa basically told them "hey instead of a fine, show us you're paying what we would have fined you (a bajillion dollars) towards EVs". A rather smart move on their part actually.

if they can get a golf with 250+ range for about 10 grand above a base golf's msrp they're gunna kill it

>True, but we have another 100 years of supply of "cheap" oil left right now.
Do we? We're already going for Shale Oil, a source that was deemed too expensive to extract only 15 years ago. 100 years seems optimistic given the rate we're guzzling it down, and yes we might find new sources and more efficient ways to extract it but it's just delaying the inevitable.

Shale oil has gotten cheaper to extract over the past couple of years. The Saudis tried to kill it by overproducing, so the shale oil industry has figured out how to produce more for less.

both wrong you fagg/o/ts.

1. superchargers are placed to get Teslas between major metro areas. not to be used because you haven't charged your car at home at night for the past week.
2. 240v level 2 chargers and Chademo DC chargers common unless you live in bum fuck alaska or north dakota. you can always find either at a Nissan or Chevy dealer.
3. the car will tell you which of the hundreds of thousands of chargers is with in range and route you to it.

>performance close to supercars
lmao

>not to be used
That's what I like about gasoline, faggots don't get a say.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

>17 seconds slower around a ring than a toyota gt86
ok

>arguably still do since the bolt's pretty meh.
The Model 3 isn't shipping yet. I'd refrain too much judgement until we see how many corners Tesla cut to hit the price mark.

I've seen one of their supercharger stations while on a road trip. I didn't notice any kind of signs or anything for it, I just pulled into a station for gas and noticed it on the way out as an "oh hey, I know what that is" type of thing.

It is steel instead of aluminum. 10 percent smaller. Fewer standard features. 60kwh battery.

Model and model x prices are higher than they have to be. Market will bear those prices on high end vehicles. It also helps fund more expansion

Why is the 60kWh battery a con? The Bolt's range at 238mi is higher than the Model 3's claimed range at 215mi.

We'll see about the rest. The lack of features on the base Bolt is frustrating, for sure - first livable model is at ~$40k.

It's so bad that not even Texas wants to sell it

>They usually work as software developers or IT professionals, are balding, have an almost feverish obsession with supporting feminism and anti racism movements but not actually doing anything about it, and probably ride a $5000 bicycle on the weekends while wearing lycra.
Funny. I'm a software developer, currently saving for a Tesla, support feminism and ride a bicycle in my spare time :)
Don't feel bad about it all

You do understand that card holding cucks aren't welcome on the chan...right?

The e-Golf's range isn't there but the price difference over the equivalent spec ICE is only a couple of grand.

>cuck
Nice try but it's hard to get cucked in an open polyamorous relationship :^)

>people who knew more than me
only when it comes to bus routes.

Excluding Shale and assuming no improvements in extraction technology or reduction in demand we have 50-60 years left in known fields so as you say I wouldn't be selling my pension stocks in BP and Shell just yet.

>meaning the owners have to stop along the way and wait for their car to charge up. So that makes me laugh a little when I see one

do you also autistically laugh whenever you see a regular car, knowing that the owner had to stop along the way and wait for their car to fill up with gas?

>Model and model x prices are higher than they have to be.

But not high enough to make a profit on them even with incentive schemes. The only time tesla has made a profit is when they pulled the Ponzi with Model 3 preorders and booked that as current profits.

>first electric car to break the mold and become a mainstream thing,
>mainstream
You will see at least three or four Nissan Leafs for every Tesla

>The only time tesla has made a profit is when they pulled the Ponzi with Model 3 preorders and booked that as current profits.

Like Elio, people fell for it.

underrated post

only a coupe grand....because the range isn't there.

oh shit you're dumb