Can someone explain to me as to why tractors are exempt from registration fees?

Can someone explain to me as to why tractors are exempt from registration fees?

Automobiles, motorcycles, & even mopeds pay their fair share to use the public roadways.

Then we have ORV stickers for special trails. Boats on the water need to be registered as well.

A JD8340r weighs nearly 15 tons, not including a load.

I work on a farm. In fact, I've worked on three of them now and I'm completely clueless as to why these pieces of machinery are exempt. A 6 year old child can climb into the cab and drive down the road if he felt like it.

I'm actually bothered by the fact every vehicle on the farm has a FARM plate, despite the fact they're commonly used on public roadways.

Because they are only ever used for agricultural work, and not as personal vehicles?

But; can you really drive one without a license?

do you need a license and registration to use your shovel to dig a hole?

>A 6 year old child can climb into the cab and drive down the road if he felt like it.
What the fuck, is that so in America? Here you can drive one on your private property of course but you have to own a license if you head out to a public road.

In the USA you can. If it's a family farm children of operating age (literally can the child safely operate the machine) can truck it on into town if they feel like it.

God forbid you tried that with a lawn mower, which is technically a yard tractor.

They're using public roadways to haul shit from field to field - no pun intended.

These tractors of modern times aren't struggling to do 15mph loaded. They'll easily hit 20-25 on a flat loaded.

They're traveling down public roads upwards of 20 miles here that I'm aware of.

I have to pay for an ORV sticker if I want to use my quad anywhere other than private land. Even then I'm not technically allowed to travel down public roadways, even if I'm jumping from trail head to trail head.

My ORV truck has to be towed to the trail head despite the fact I live less than 1/4 mile away from the entrance. Truthfully, I don't bother and I just drive it.

That's why I'm wondering, I drive tractors when I help my father out on his farm and I can't imagine a child driving them safely. Technically a child could drive a 9 series on a public road without anyone bothering? I cant even imagine that.

What kind of a comparison is that?

Here anything going on the road needs to be registered and insured, and you need an appropriate license for it

I can, with the 144-code on my T-license, drive a tractor + trailer with max speed of 50kph, and a total weight of 25 tonnes (total weight of tractor + trailer)

Because farmers are literally welfare queens.

i grew up on a farm and got to drive a chevy conversion van with farm plates 8 miles to the bus stop on backroads every day when i was 9 years old.

farm rules kick ass m8

Most of the rural roads around my area are fucking stuffed with cops tompunish the ever living fuck out of each sorry ass old village man for muh shekels.
Perks of being in Europe I guess,

You just don't see elegant tractors anymore.

Agreed. The one farm I worked on they purchased all new appliances, building materials, and personal vehicles using their agricultural tax exempt abilities.

I understand children that grow up utilizing equipment daily may be able to handle it, but it doesn't make it right.

>cops everywhere
>perks

because registration is a reoccurring annual fee that helps pay for road maintenance and tractors spend all of their time on private property.

daily reminder you can drive a tank in the UK and be exempt from congestion charges

So you get to decide what is right? Ok

Canadafag here. Its the same here. The cops will stop kids on major roadways, but the side roads they don't give a fuck. I know a couple years ago a 5 year old put a whole trailer full of shit into a ditch and ran home to daddy. Dad pulled it out of the ditch but left all the shit.

A nearby neighbor called the cops because their house just wreaked of shit, and on the way there the cop found the ditch practically overflowing with shit.

As soon as they found out it was this farmers kid, the county showed up with a vac truck, sucked it out of the ditch and it stopped there. Its fucking retarded what farmers can let their young kids do.

Oh, and another fun fact. In Canada at least, cranes, that regularly weight over 50 ton by themselves, don't require a registration or plates, and they don't pay any taxes for it or anything.

They are off-road vehicles for agricultural use. The US farmers have a powerful lobby group.

In the UK, you have to register it if you want to drive it on the road. No regulations for private land, though/

a 5 year old could buy a ferrari online and drive it on private property all he wants.

>I'm actually bothered by the fact every vehicle on the farm has a FARM plate

You are an example of why autspergers deserve lives of torture, humiliation and loneliness.

>be trucker
>spill load all over roadway/blow tires and leave chunks of rubber on the road
>fined, demerits issued if cops catch you

>be average person
>leave bits of bumper/junk from back of pickup truck/beer bottles and garbage on road
>fined, including fined for littering ditches

>be farmer
>drive tractor down road
>potatoes dropping everywhere from trailer
>five pounds clumps of compressed dirt scattered all over like landmines
>cops don't care
>HURRR FARMURS FEED FAMIRYS

honestly i was really sad when i moved into farm country and found out how soulless and corporate-ized and uncaring farmers have become... fuck 'em.

Every vehicle, user.

Including those used as private daily vehicles. They gave a Mercedes e320 a farm plate.

What use does it have as a farm vehicle? It's used to pick up small parts in a jiffy, sure, but it's also the owners daily.

Except tractors are used on public roadways.

You cannot drive your vehicle down public roadways to land you have down the road.

Let's not forget spilling manure on the road. That one bothers me as I know my tires will pick it up.
>I bought a special shitbox just for the job

depends on the local laws.

a lot of states are cool with farm vehicles using public roads. as long as they have the orange triangle and stay below a certain speed.

Counter-reminder that if the area you're going to HAS a congestion charge, you're not going to be able to manoeuvre a tank with any sort of grace or elegance.

Reminds me of a story I was told as a kid. One of my grandfather's employees way back in the day did not get on with the locals. He also had a wife, who he loved very dearly.
After a while, the locals started talking shit about his wife. This naturally escalated over time until there were some very nasty rumours going around.
Then this guy heard of them, and he got PISSED. He also drove a tractor for a living, and knew where the muck-spreader was parked, full of shit. He ALSO knew just where everyone lived who was responsible for all the rumours. All on one road, because this was a tiny-ass village.
So, he got the tractor. He got the muck-spreader. And he drove down the street in the middle of the day, very slowly, and switched on the muck-spreader. The houses were absolutely coated in shit. The cars were coated in shit. The gardens, the street, anyone outside, totally fucking covered in shit.
Then he parked the tractor and went home. The police arrested him for it a few days later, and I forget what ended up happening to him.

Of course, this is ALSO the culture that hated car alarms. They hated car alarms to the point when, when someone arrived for a day trip and their alarm went off while they were away in the dales somewhere, the car was silenced. Not with petty vandalism or cut wires. No, this was done by FARMERS. They buried it in topsoil. Guy arrived in the evening, couldn't find his car. Nobody had seen it, of course. The police were called, no witnesses, no sight of the car.
Another car was dumped into a hole with a forklift and wires disconnected until the noise stopped. Again, no witnesses, nobody saw anything.

This was back when car alarms didn't turn off on their own, mind you.