Ask a Mercedes-Benz Tech anything

Ask a Mercedes-Benz Tech anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9C-eA8UPgkI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

Why does it cost $5000 in labor to change oil?

What voltage is expected on pin 16 at connecter 410 on a 2013 E350

Best guess would be because people are willing to pay for it.

Can you get me a job?

>working for anyone but yourself

cuck !

>2013 E350
>not referring to the vehicle by its chassis code

>using a vague chassis code for a harness question on a vehicle with many different configurations and VIN breaks

>implying me to know the exact validity of the vehicle by giving me a year and model

How's your day been? Work on anything cool and/or unique?

What is your split between warranty and customer pay work?

only thing super cool lately ive had is a GTS this week, see brand new S classes and G wagons a lot so those loose cool factor in my book. Saw a 4x4 squared not to long ago

More customer pay by i'd say 60-40. Includes all the prepaid maintenances of course that probably skews things.

forgive my shitty grammar and punctuation.

Interesting, and lucky from my perspective. I work at a BMW dealer and I do almost all warranty excluding service(maintenance plan). The only CP work I see regularly are tires, and AC work.

what the THE most reliable, trouble free mercedes model made in the past 5 years?

in the past 10 years?

Can you do a 274 piston job in 2 days?

Yeah CP sure is nice. Just a rough guess just seems like most work is CP. How are BMW's to work on generally? i find working on Mercedes to be cake work generally.

Not sure what you are trying to say here

It's obviously not a stretch for someone to be a tech (there are many on Veeky Forums), but these threads are suspicious. Half of your job as a tech is explaining things to clueless people. Why would someone come home and do this for free on the internet?

never torn apart a 274.

Omfg. Never had a 274 apart. You are a lube tech

caught

Depends on the job, and the car. I am not that tall so I despise the X3-6s. Some shit though is retarded. I had an F12 in yesterday for a faulty window regulator, nearly 9 pages of repair instructions, and 5 special tools to adjust the window after putting it back in. The odd job here and there can be a pain like the N20 turbo feed lines.

Overall though not hard, just that when it is hard its a fucking pain, and you will loose money the first few times you do the job.

why is the 63 so heavy? id consider buying one if it werent so damn fat

which 63?

?? The 63. ???. You're a technical guy

S63?
C63?
G63?
ML63?
SL63?

cls63 amg
things 4400 pounds

Let's dissect. You're asking why a Mercedes is so heavy? Clearly you've never worked on one. Imagine every luxury part you can have and put it in the car.

Are you guys doing your own windshields/liftgate glass/etc.? I heard BMW was going that direction and it's super gravy. I do glass at my brand, at first I thought it was sketchy put it's pretty easy.

He meant the 1963 220s

no I havent worked on one, the only european cars ive owned are bmws (and one 04 c180 but I never workes on it)
I still dont think the luxury parts warrant 4400lbs

The seats alone are probably 200lbs a piece. The engine is also a boat anchor.

Yeah, did one today infact. Gravy on the smaller/shorter cars for me. Only the tall vehicles, and the I12 are an issue. The tall ones I need to borrow the step stools from the Rolls guys a few bays down to reach. The I12s cause you cant use a razor blade to cut the sealant out due to the carbon fiber.

The best gravy though is CP evaps. Nearly 12 hours for a 6-7 hour job. Oil pans on any S-drive as dropping the subframe takes a quarter of the time allowed.

Also thanks to Florida law regarding windshields at least 5 come in a week. Thanks to the double pane for the HUD insurance companies dont bother trying aftermarket.

You can try doing the cut from the inside on big cars with one of these, not sure if the trim would allow though

Exactly. Seats. Carpet. Insulation. Massive engine. It all adds up. They don't drive solid because they're made of nothing.

Use something similar, its the installation that gives me trouble, we dont have anything at my dealer besides dedicated suction cups. Its not hard just have to hope no phantoms are in at the moment for their seemingly scheduled intake cleaning.

If you're not using a viper or roll out cutting tool than you're doing it wrong.

Why are the lugnuts retarded?

Why are you a tech for a German brand when literally anything else would be 9000 times easier?

Why do I always have to tow your shitty fucking cars.

Also where is the neutral override for the gay ass electronic column shifters when the electric is dead. I'm getting sick of just dragging benz's

We german techs like to make money, cause the more complicated something is, the more chances for something to break. Guy I went to trade school with works at a Honda dealer, has every certification from Honda, does mostly service work, oil change, microfilter, tires, makes less than the lowest man on the totem pole at my dealer.

I save the workout for after work, Ben Franklin didn't invent electricity for me not to use it

People's idea of what is hard as a tech is very skewed. Time consuming doesn't necessarily mean difficult.

Is the c300 coupe a guy or girl or neutral gender car?

Is the c43 amg reliable?

Not sure for merc, but there are two ways on bmws. If the starter works, and turns the engine over hold the button on the gearlever and push forward till resistance and hold. Voila neutral though not permanent so no tag-along, but will make flatbed loading easier. Other way is, on the drivers side of the transmission there is a hex screw, drive it up to manually engage neutral.

Time consuming = less money though. I'll occasionally get a Merc in for an oil change and the air filter always takes 10 years to check and you need 5 different tools instead of something like a Corolla where you have two clips and it's off.

Filter
Drain plug
Possibly underbody panel

Gee sounds like every other car on the road today.

Yea usually that tool for bmw is MIA I pretty much just drag shit in park when it's German because they don't wanna make their shit easy to load.

Meh not my problem. Should have bought a jap car instead

Anecdotally, probably a W204 with the M272 V6 and a 6MT and no options. There's nothing to break.

Because Mercedes charges 2.0 for an A service, and Honda charges 0.5. Then there's the difference in rates.

08 W204/M272/6MT

Clutch and flywheel: pain in the ass, or standard fare? Experience on any Merc (if any) applies, I'm guessing.
Parking light bulb, outer driver's side: how the FUCK do you get it out? WIS is decidedly unhelpful.
Intake manifold runner actuator: only a matter of time until it fails?
ESL: dumbest thing ever or what? I was lucky mine failed in the open position, and I fixed it with a $30 motor off ebay instead of being forced to pay $1000 parts and labor at the dealer.
Timing chain and tensioner: How long have I got, doc?
V6: are you thankful whoever designed these cars left so much space in the front?
Belt tensioner shock: my car has it, others don't. What's up with that?
Oil in intake/PCV/AOS: will this be a problem?

You thought you won ze war, amerikaner?

Your customers must love you.

Pretty much the exact opposite of the case in most dealerships. Short jobs are almost always shit because you don't get paid to go find the car in the lot, get it in the rack, get the information that the service write wrote incorrectly, road test on the way out, etc.

Difficult to me is-
working on poorly taken care of cars
working with previous fuckery/aftermarket parts
dealing with poorly engineered/designed parts/cars

Monster 50-60 hour services, body harnesses, etc. aren't very hard necessarily, it's not much different from doing 30 2 hour jobs in the end

Its not a tool, its mounted to the trans.
youtube.com/watch?v=9C-eA8UPgkI

Considering buying an SL65 AMG. What am I in for?

Am I going to regret selling this car to make more room in my garage for additional motorcycles?

2nd this. Service jobs pay just about as much as it takes to do it. No room to shave time off. Oil change and road test pays about .6. Takes .4 untill you have to do the obligitory multi point inspection, top up fluids, pull car into bay, out of bay, and you take what it pays. On the other hand an evap pays say, 9 hours, you can shave an hour off if it is not your first rodeo. Not only that no dealing with finding car in the lot, or service drive, waiting for parts runner, doing bullshit that you do not get paid for, just you and the grindstone.

Since you're asking here, you're probably looking at the old (or even current?) twin spark model. So, 24 spark plugs.

That's just the start. The ride never ends.

What am I missing by not taking my w204 in for service and do it my self?

>fuckstick valet service
>complimentary coffee that's better than other dealerships, but ultimately mediocre
>service advisors who're going to tell you about your service in the vaguest terms possible, and "forget" to ask you about additional service items
>the techs are usually alright
>the fuckstick lot boys that're going to one bucket wash your car right after doing the dirty ass housewife's GL, then wipe down the interior with some armorall tier glossifier
>the self-satisfied smile of the service advisor as you whip out your credit card and anal lube, knowing that it's too late to talk your way out of any charges

Luckily, I only went in for safety recalls.

The only thing you miss out on provided you are a semi competent diyer is value on the car(if its new when you bought it) when you trade it in, as most manufacturers will not allow it to be a "certified" unless it has a complete dealer service history. So a small bump up in the value you get when trading in. If it was already used, then go for it br/o/.

Tell me about the CLA, is it just a shitty MB that lower middle class people can afford? IS there anything special about it? How often do you get one in there and it's just fucking destroyed?

A lot of normies I know are into them, and I just don't understand it. It looks like an egg and for the same price you can get a loaded accord

Have been tipped after dragging a dudes bmw in park onto the bed since everyone else kept turning down the call. Sometimes it's cool sometimes it's not.

Ah I was talking about that red thing you jam into a slot and then twist that's usually under a cup holder to put them in neutral.

CLA is the epitome of badgewhoring.

I know it's a big motor, that's the appeal.

Looking at a 2006-7ish. About 50-70k miles.

I just want one so bad, completely irrational. Talk me out of or into it?

Yeah I didn't think I was missing much, the car is used with no service records. I'm still driving around with recalled airbags though and my service is coming up soon.

>big motor
4u

Why is the V-Class so Awesome?

OP are you USA, CAN or EURO? Why are their vehicle choices for the USA and CA so random?

>no C-class wagon to compete with 3 Series Wagon
>no A-class in Canada
>Americans get electric B-class that nobody wants
>so many different SUVs and crossovers that they're literally competing with themselves

Recalls are free

Min 9 volts I think

Why are some old as fuck bimmers faster than my 2017 e43

Ah yeah, people tend to take those out, their tow hooks, and wheel lock "key" cause reasons.

Market demand, cost increase due to location of factory, ect.

Every company does this. Looking at you mazda, bring your diesel over here and put it in your cars already.