/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/bundle/1809/
store.steampowered.com/app/588730/
e-hentai.org/g/1045100/2022be9ca8/
humblebundle.com/hooked-on-multiplayer-bundle
karinka.sakura.ne.jp/mmf2game/kemono/kemono.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=VnA24e8EGmc
youtube.com/watch?v=FmuVWHDaRDw
imgur.com/a/rUeIV
waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/rain-world-is-like-stalker-but-a-platformer-and-youre-a-rodent
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Catamites being true and SOUL

Anyone else pick this up? Desync, basically bulletstorm in neon 90s aesthetic.

I just got it on a whim, it's pretty cool so far, though it can be pretty vague in the upgrades/hub area. If anyone else got it and has some tips, it'd be appreciated.

store.steampowered.com/bundle/1809/
How can this bundle be cheaper for me than buying Epistory alone? I only own Letter Quest from these.

>check for /indie/
>see 2 threads
Wow, made it to bumplimit. Congrats /indie/!

Seen it before, it looks cool, but also gives me devil's daggers vibe so I've added it to wishlist for now (which means I'll probably never play it)

Because it's on sale as a bundle.

>tfw getting all my indie games from igg-games

You know it man.

Feels good to have an almost living thread AND new Indieshits to play.

hey guys a few friends just released their /indie/ game today which I helped translate into english

store.steampowered.com/app/588730/

it's a fun trivia game with a plot (what), if you try it out let me know what you think!

Freedom Planet poster, post something

Haha I know. This thread is great for suggestions

>open page
>first word thrown at my retinas in the trailer is vidya
Also what language did you translate it from?

>There's more uncertainty now than ever
That is where you are wrong.

They can't and won't spend 7 years on the expansion, but Styg seems to like taking things slow and safe. For a good while now they've been in a financial position where a less level-headed lead developer might've gone on a hiring binge to grow his team to try and push out new content fast. But as I said, they're taking growth slowly and steadily. They're financially set for a long time even if Underrail sales stopped altogether.

Or like the other user already said, trust them on this one.

e-hentai.org/g/1045100/2022be9ca8/
>mfw palcomix
Literally no improvement in drawiing since 10 years.

Spanish.

Studio is in Spain, I'm mexican. Didn't get a chance to go through all the trivia questions so you'll find lots of weirdly-structured sentences there.

The three peeps who made the game are deep into weeb culture so yea, expect lots of vidya.

>Didn't get a chance to go through all the trivia questions so you'll find lots of weirdly-structured sentences there.
This sounds like a serious issue for such a text heavy game.

Eh, it's not so much that the questions are wrong or plain unreadable, you'll just be able to tell quite a few of the questions were written by a non-native English proficient person.

well i don't really know if I'd say I'm disappointed with gungeon, but it's certainly got issues.

the main one being that you're almost punished for using anything but infinite ammo stock on mooks since ammo is non-existant

even when I only use other weapons solely on bosses I ran out because drops are exceedingly rare and ammo drops are only a chance on that

there's also that almost every upgrade is locked in a chest, and again the drop system is pretty shit

For Ammo, you can massively up Ammo chances by gathering Curse (if the game gives it to you, Curse Pots are a blessing)
But yeah, the game has some serious problems relating to fun factor on most runs, which just feel like horrid drags.

There's some nuance to getting the pulls you want. Also ammo isn't as nonexistent as you think it is.

You're definitely gonna want to use your infinite ammo stock a lot, mainly in the first couple floors.

Game rewards you for playing well. The longer you go without getting hit, the more drops you'll see. Every time you clear a room there is a Room Clear Bonus chance, which can be a chest or any pickup (including ammo). This chance is raised by coolness. There is ALSO an Ammo Drop chance, raised by both your Curse and the percentage of ammo missing from all your finite guns. This means that ammo is, in fact, the only pickup you can actually roll TWO of on a room clear, and it also means that playing fast and loose with ammo will reward you more often than not. Empty guns you don't plan on using. Only save a few key guns full for bosses, otherwise freely use ammo on your other guns to increase the chance of finding ammo for the guns that do matter.

Don't pickup any keys on a floor until you've been to the shop to maximize possible key spawns. The shop will always have at least one key for you if you haven't picked up a key yet when you enter. Playing smart with keys will allow you to open most chests, most runs. Floor 1 you sometimes need to skip the chests so you can go to the Oubliette, but that's pretty much it. The two "main" chests per floor with their own rooms will always be a Gun and an Item respectively, use this knowledge to weigh your keys e.g. "I just got a passive from this red chest so I don't really care about cracking open that blue chest for a guaranteed gun."

Always search for secret rooms.

TL;DR if your runs are shit you're probably getting hit just as a manner of course. Try focusing on clearing multiple rooms or even entire floors without taking a single hit and see what falls into your lap.

>172337753
space funerals mspaint graphics were memorable and added to the overall feel. 4's unnecessary upgrade is subsequently emotionless and somehow manages to look worse.

>That bit about items in chest
The fact Passives and Actives share the same pool infuriates me.
>Get 7 back to back Actives and no Passives from the respective Chest

>Crimson Crown
I'm pretty sure you requested that a while ago. I suck at crowns but I'll try again.

humblebundle.com/hooked-on-multiplayer-bundle
Average tier games seem ok but not for the price.

wrong

Eugh, can't believe the artist somehow manages to stay relevant

I should try and do a 1LC maybe, before the second game is released
Maybe finish the campaign as the pupper too

It looks like party games mostly, except for maybe Helldivers

On the one hand I agree with you on it being a bit frustrating. I've definitely had those runs. On the other hand I consider passives unquestionably the most valuable category of items in the game, since they're the only ones that stack infinitely, have no opportunity cost, and apply at all times rather than when you have them "out" like guns or actives). They're massively game-changing and I'm always playing to maximize my chance of finding them. In light of all that, having actives mixed in with their pool is a somewhat understandable limiting factor.

>$1
Pure garbage.
>BTA
Only good one is Chicken Horse if you have friends.
>$10
Eh.

Hmm. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer, but I don't have any of these games and a couple of them still look like they could be fun solo, Helldivers in particular

It is looking very neat

While your post is very constructive, I can't help but read it and think it says:
>It's okay to have the most fun part of the game inhibited with garbage nobody wants
Given the option, I'd much rather have Actives and Guns mixed than Passives for the reason you just posted. A Guaranteed Passive from a Chest (if you win the coin flip figuring out which is which, since they're not labelled) is about a hundred times better than a guaranteed gun from a chest if you win said prior coin flip.

Holy shit does Rain World look like my type of game.
Too bad i cant buy it since the money i got from a crate unbox ran out.

Yar har?
I'd spare you the cash, but I'm already strapped with Yooka on the horizon.

No, because then power spikes are too consistent, too frequent, and the game breaks too quickly and too easily. As fun as getting broken OP shit is, this game's primary focus is on the experience of getting more skilled, not on getting runs that trivialize the enemies. Passives are far too reliably strong to make so guaranteed instead of having to strive for them - I disagree with this sort of idea for the same reason I disagree with people who think you should automatically get an extra heart or damage boost for clearing each boss. It's not supposed to be a linear progression where you definitely get objectively stronger every single floor, but by the time you get to the end, you'll almost always have a broken run in some facet. There's more than enough passives to go around, even with the current setup.

To each their own, I suppose. I like the power runs, even back to back. Guess I'm ust tired of shitty runs.
Those 2 in OP are released.

Banjo is not obscure enough.

I'm just giving it time for people to play it, to see if its good or not.
Before I remove it or put it in a top spot.

How far are your shitty runs making it tho? Like I honestly can't think of many, if any runs I've seen make it to Forge/Bullet Hell without finally ceasing to be shitty somewhere along the way.

karinka.sakura.ne.jp/mmf2game/kemono/kemono.htm
Something o play while downloading the last episode.

God, I had one recent Forge run, the only thing I had going for me was Casey and like 3 passives, cause 0 key drops the whole way down.
The problem is that Casey is an absolutely abhorrent Bossing weapon (if you wanna do real damage, it's great for knocking back shots.)
So I'd wipe each room, be sad at no key drops, then fight the Boss with all my other guns.

Well i would put money in the account but i am waiting for some events to pass like the gaming convection that is going to happen here.

i-is it hentai?

youtube.com/watch?v=VnA24e8EGmc

youtube.com/watch?v=FmuVWHDaRDw

No it's some bullet hell and plattformer too.

It's like trying to play isaac without ever getting any upgrades and honestly I might stop playing it because of that. Isaac's item pool is bloated to shit but you'll usually at least get 1-2 semi decent things per floor.

The only two times over 8 hours I've had anything good was when I found a bee gun and then in another run when someone told me how to get junkan.

I'm not expecting to get Brimstone-level upgrades on the keep but I'd like /something/

It's out on Skidrow now.

It's ten bucks in Humble Bundle but the game itself is only twenty bucks, so you can probably get it cheaper on sale, without the bundle

Man, I didn't believe that guy when he said Rain World was easier with KB+M.

>kemono
>it's actually kemonomimi and based on something called Kemono Friends, and not what I've thought
Pfft

>It's like trying to play isaac without ever getting any upgrades
Damn, I'm really fed up with Isaac's RNG, but that sounds even worse.

Go back to

There's this hugely prevalent misconception that a controller is always better for a lot of games than KB+M. Particularly platformers and older more traditional type games.
There isn't a shred of truth in this.
The only instances in which a controller is better, is when you need analogue input, be it in a subtly angled direction (joystick direction that isn't cardinal/diagonal), or a subtly attenuated input strength (joystick distance from center that isn't zero or max).
If none of this matters, then a KB will always be better because of the input response time:
When changing direction to an opposing one on a controller joystick, the joystick has to travel the intervening distance, which causes both a time delay, and the chance that you'll end up slightly outside the direction you were aiming for.
With a keyboard, the input response is instant and boolean, directions and all. Much tighter control (even if some games take some getting used to).

DISCLAIMER: This isn't always noticeable, and playing with a controller has a really nice feel to it too. I love playing with a controller. (Please don't curse me)

However, in Rain World, the UP direction is really important for instance. You don't want to use a joystick (or actually even a d-pad) for that if you can avoid it.

>mfw couldn't beat the post-game of Environmental Station Alpha until I switched from controller to keyboard

Hehe yeah. Crazy thing is, I even kicked absolute ass on Super Smash Bros 64 using keyboard.

I considered playing Cave Story with a controller too. Wonder how I'd have fared in Sacred Grounds if so haha

Well to be fair, games like Risk of Rain are infinitely better with a controller.
Which has created a stigma of sorts about similar 2D games.

I can't put it into words but I'm liking Momodora 3

Hmm, I think it's more a matter of familiarity in RoR. I can't see how the difference would be anything other than marginal

How much of a "proper" metroidvania would you say it is? ..Because I kind of want to try it out too!

I don't know if it counts as "obscure", but anyone else keeping an eye on Saurian? It's a pretty good looking dinosaur game.

>difference
People see:
>2-d platformer with (some mechanics)
>Remember RoR was a bitch on KB+M
>Use Controller

SAY THAT TO MY FACE AND NOT ON THE INTERNET AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Momodora is very linear with barely any siderooms and backtracking. Compare it more to classicvanias and megaman really just like Cavestory which was the original inpsiration for 1.

>The longer you go without getting hit, the more drops you'll see.
this is wrong
getting hit only reduces your casing drops, room drops are independent
imgur.com/a/rUeIV

I got 87%

Don't know what entails that last chunk of completionism but I'm okay with not playing it again
There's a special new game plus, don't know what that does

Steam should have guides up that explain the achievements and modes. If you are curious enough to look it up.

>max hp with lazarus, decent damage and max tears
Finally a Hush worthy run with this fuck
>curse of the blind devil deal at womb 2
>dead cat
Off to the chest I go

>casings are a type of drop
>casings let you buy drops
>there are enemies that can still drop casings after hitting you
for all these reasons I am still right and your source here is potentially wrong (though I truly doubt he is). Even if not getting hit only helps you in the ways he listed, it still results in more drops. I'm still hugely skeptical on anything I can't reliably reproduce until I see hard data from the game files. All I know is not getting hit is the single most valuable thing you can do for your gameplay and regardless of the specifics you're gonna see a powerful return on any floor you clear without getting hit. It should be your top priority. Second priority is being able to perfect bosses with your starter pistol, especially on the first couple floors. You have to play consistently to become a boosted animal.

>new run with Eden
>start with tammy's head
>death's touch first item room
If only more runs could have such good starts.

>When you make it to safety by the skin of your teeth after entering a new area

that's a dev you nerd
>buying items from stores is a form of drops
are you autistic
you're not wrong that not getting hit is better than getting hit but come on now

Getting hit by an enemy causes their Casing drop table to change. Nothing else. This is why Gun Nuts, those huge armored dudes on Floor 1-4 that swing a sword that fires a huge wave of projectiles at you, can still drop upwards of 7 Casings, but cannot drop a full 10, also having a chance of dropping 0 once you get hit.

Space Funeral is hipster garbage and was never good. It didn't honestly deserve fan games. Good on the guy who was making the 4th one for putting that shit down for something more worth while.

I don't think it's hipster garbage, but it's nice to know not everyone thinks it's an incredible masterpiece.

I am but like come the fuck on dude, it's idiotic to think of anything in the game as NOT being drops. It's all RNG. It's all "what did the game roll in the collection of slots it has to roll for me." Like guess the fuck what, if my Mourning Star happens to show up in a shop instead of a chest it's still my Mourning Star and the Gungeon still dropped it for me, they just made me collect on it with my casing drops instead of my keys. You can't sit here and rationalize away the different very real ways the game has to throw shit at you. Part of being good at the game is being good at pulling the most from all your pools as a whole, not arbitrarily deciding "well I'm gonna get MY drops from this pool because that other pool seems inconvenient to play toward." It's all there and it's all at your disposal, so there's no reason to hold it against the Gungeon for throwing something good at you in a shop instead of a chest, when it DID in fact throw something good at you that you could have prepared to collect.

Thanks nerd, matches up with what I've seen. Is there a collection of documentation for this garbage or what because I certainly don't enjoy compiling my knowledge of in-depth mechanics off of hearsay

>documentation
Not a one. I just know it from far too many hours of Gungeon and Gun Nuts being a prime tester for Brass.
>Their drop table naturally ranges from 5-10 Brass
>After getting hit, I've seen 0, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, but never 1 or 4, and they have a hard cap of 4 Brass drops of any kind, 8 total Brass being 3 Copper and 1 Silver

>hard cap of 4 Brass drops of any kind
this doesn't ring true to my ears. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy(?) but 4 copper 1 silver is a frequent pull from perfected Gun Nuts for me.

best girl coming through

In Battle Brothers, should I bother keeping around people with permanent injuries like Broken Elbow, or should I just fire them?

Huh. Maybe I need to pay more attention.

Something that is cool about Battle Bros is that sometimes there are non-hostile parties roaming the countryside. If you get into a battle, if these other parties are nearby, they will also show up in the battle.

In one scenario, I went to a tomb to fight some undead. There was a group of bandits nearby, so they got included in the battle too. I just fell back, let the bandits and skeletons fight each other, and mopped up whoever remained.

In another one, I got my caravan attacked by bandits while some peasants were nearby, so they helped fight too. They weren't particularly strong, but they helped soak up some hits, ensuring I came out of the battle (relatively) unscathed.

Stop dying.

>buy Momodora to see what all the hype is about
>forced female protagonist
>healing item that's a stand-in for the Estus Flask for Dark Souls
>dodge rolling in a 2D platformer

Dark Souls is the worst thing to happen to video games. Dew-drinking kiddies think that it's the quintessential example of a hard game, they think that it's "fair", and mostly egregiously they think it's fun. Video games are going extinct.

I don't get why do people hate on Dead cat
Heart containers are garbage most of the time unless you have good regen/healing pickups, otherwise they just reduce the amount of soul/black hearts you can have
Plus dead cat gives you 9 lives AND is a part of Guppy set, which gives you flying and notable damage boost through flies

You should have played 1&2 for free and then eventually get 3 instead of jumping straight to 4.

It was a little late for it to be useful.

I mean, nobody should be stacking heart containers without a reason in the first place

In Battle Bros, I shat a brick when I saw a monster ate one of my best guys in a single bite. There were these weird ghoul like creatures who could eat the corpses of their slain brethren to recover HP and morale (to compensate for this, they're rather squishy.)

Thankfully, it turns out if you kill them quick enough, you can save you guy from getting digested.

I like how they changes the controls so ranged attacks are there own thing and now a powered-up melee

I fucking cAN'T

I want to unlock more characters so fucking bad but I cannot get to world 5 for the life of me

waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/rain-world-is-like-stalker-but-a-platformer-and-youre-a-rodent

gotta say very interested in this Rainworld

get out of here, stalker

Momdora 1 and 3 are linear. 2 is a mini-metroidvania and 4 is a proper one.

What's the blue bullet thing

That's actually a pretty good review that sums it up nicely.
>You're a creature who can prey on the weaker and must be wary of the stronger
>The two biggest draws of the game are the AI providing unique situations and the exploration of a strange, ruined world