Why aren't the Mormons widely considered to be a different religion than Christianity?

Why aren't the Mormons widely considered to be a different religion than Christianity?

Their views and beliefs differ way too much from general Christian views to be considered to be simply another Protestant denomination. So why aren't they simply seen on par with the Rastafarians or the Druze as alternate Abrahamic faiths?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QTYEtttwU18
crcna.org/welcome/beliefs/creeds/nicene-creed
youtube.com/watch?v=6d2lOQpuqd4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Island_(Lake_Michigan)#The_Mormon_kingdom_on_Beaver_Island
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Many evangelical denominations do view them as non-Christian, but they have a strong base and like any religion they market relentlessly and collect directionless, depressed people who see their strong community and outwardly cheery disposition and feel like by drinking the Kool-Aid they can get some of that.

>Why aren't the Mormons widely considered to be a different religion than Christianity?

Mormons aren't widespread. They are concentrated into 1 state in the USA. And even within that state, they are a minority of the population. So knowledge of their beliefs is not widespread either.

They were considered non-Christian for most of their history, but then again it used to be that Protestants and Catholics called each other non-Christians as well.

Since western Christians in general are being exposed so much to outside culture, they're more willing to identify their "other" as Muslims and atheists instead and be more forgiving of other Christian denominations.

I live in Utah and my two cents are that Mormons are resolutely Christian but with a bunch of fanfic shit tacked on. You could argue that makes them non-Christians but then again you could say the same thing about the Apocrypha.

I am not sure if Europeans are aware Mormons are christians

Utah is 60% Mormon
They have tons of churches in pretty much every major city in the US and at least one church in every western nation.

>Why aren't the Mormons widely considered to be a different religion than Christianity?

They are, look at the main Christian lobbying groups and interdenominational meetings and you wont see any mormons or mormon ideas

They are.

We liken them to muslims.

IIRC they dont follow the Nicean creed

>Mormons don't lobby with other Christians
They make up a large portion of the Christian right in the South West of the US. They also have large numbers in both GOP party positions as well as local government.

They're also the main reason for a lot of "Christian" legal policies in those states, too. For example, Mormon lobbying was the reason Prop 8 passed on California. They also basically control the Boy Scouts of America and are behind many of its controversial policies.

They might not be as visible, because most live in states that aren't known for Christian lobbying, but Mormons wield a pretty large amount of political power in the US.

They can't be considered Protestant because of their rejection of the 5 Solas

Mormons aren't Christian, mate.

youtube.com/watch?v=QTYEtttwU18

You're making things up again Arnold!
You're wrecklessly warping the words of Jesus!

Mormons are Christian

Are Oneness Pentecostals Christian?

Mormons are as Christians as Muslims or Rastafarians.

This, their theology is so off base, they wouldn't even be considered heretics.

>"Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"

They believe in Jesus Christ so they are "Christian"

>not true Christians though according to [dogma nitpick]!!!

Muslims also believe in Jesus Christ though, I hardly hear people saying they are Christian.

I wonder if Allah and JHVH are the same god.
Really makes ya think.

LDS is the largest intact organization on the planet.

What about the FLDS and other splinter groups?

>japan
>phillipines
>latin america in general

why

Nuh uhh

Superstitious savages?

they don't even accept the trinity

Just give the movement another hundred of years

are seventh day adventists christian?

They are, though. Mormon's are not Christian by definition for similar reasons as Islam is not - non-Trinitarian. Further, They are polytheist and marry the dead.

To be fair though christianity is a polytheistic religion since it worships a man as g.d.

Conan Doyle wrote about Mormon Death Squads and them being generally opressive cunts in Study in Scarlet?
How much of that was true in 19th century?

>
There is only one God. He revealed Himself throughout the ages through revelation, Grace, the Holy Spirit, the Logos (Christ), time eternal. How he has shown Himself to man is through the Trinity. One God, three persons - the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Trying to "rationalize" God is a fruitless struggle, as it is irrational to try to comprehend God fully with our limited abilities.
Think of a stream.. the source being God, who begot the Son and Holy Spirit, the stream being the Son and the current the Holy Spirit. One, three persons, inseparable yet distinct at once. The ice cube analogy is incorrect in that it describes a heresy, Modialism.

Their version of Jesus and the traditional biblical view of Jesus have very little in common. I could call Captain Kirk "Jesus", but that wouldn't save me.

Nothing is wrong with how they view Christ. It is still essentially the same view, very similar.

I think it's because the first 75% of Mormon beliefs are on-par with mainstream Christianity, the remaining 25% being the significant outlier

>Japan
I get it with Latin America with their catholic population but why japan why

>Antarctica remains yet untouched by sullied LDS hands

wew

Blood atonement was a thing in Mormonism in the Utah territory. Also there was the mountain meadows massacre. And Smith himself was arrested after having his followers try and violently destroy a local paper because they wrote that he he multiple wives. Which was true but hidden from most of the church at the time.

Keep in mind that the church does inflate its numbers through a variety of methods. First is they have missionaries aggressively push for baptism. My own uncle was pressured to baptize homeless drunkards who could barely even find their way into the water. One of my cousins also baptized kids without parental permission offering them snacks in exchange. The bishops were fully aware of and encouraged this behavior.

The church also keeps your name on the roles even if you only show up once and leave. Even if you join another church. The only ways you get taken off is if you either formally request to be removed, are excommunicated, or die at a very old age. For example even though my father died two years ago he is still listed on the membership role as active despite him being a corpse who stopped attending decades before he died. This is done purposefully because around half of all children born in LDS families end up leaving the faith.

Christianism = Belief that Jesus Christ is God.

Therefore, mormons are christians.

Whether they are Protestant or not is an entirely other question.

Some Hindus believe that Jesus is but an aspect of Brahma or Vishnu, it doesn't make them Christian in the least.

Of course it does. Many go even farther beyond to tell you it is the feet of brahmins He washed, and that He is a yogi, giving the same message of consciousness that the eternal teachings do. Christ is Krsna, to be a Christian is also to be devoted to Krsna. Gaudiya Vaisnavas and Christianity teaches that God is the Highest Being and that everyone and everything is a part and parcel of God. In Christianity we all come from God. Christ teaches us how to be one with the Father, and the Way is through the Messiah, which is the Christ.

It is all so linked together, because Brahmanism and Judaism do very well come into the same aspects.

Cosmology.

>100-1000 mormons in Kazakhstan
how? why?

Unfortunately yes.
t. Former Adventist

what's so bad about them user?

Jahlaweh. Muslims and Christians are just a subgroup of Rastafarians.

I'm curious about how potentially 10,000 mormons got to Mongolia

They're Christians, but many would say they aren't due to their non-trinitarian views on the godhead.

They aren't christian:

1ºDifferent Jesus, Mormon Jesus traveled to Murrica. Traditional Jesus didn't.

2ºDifferent Sacred Books: They think Mormon Books are more important than the Bible.

3ºNot Abrahamic at all: Polytheism avant la lettre. God has a physical body, wives...

Mormonism is to Christianity the same that Christianity to the Judaism.

>Christianism = Belief that Jesus Christ is God

In fact, they believe Jesus is (a) God.

>Mormons in the Philippines
Those steeple building child-molesters make for a compelling argument for the return of Inquisitions.

American influenced places.

They are Christian

1 we have no idea where traditional "Jesus" was, for 30 years, is recorded by other sources to have been travelling, which is why His last 3 years are recorded. There is no pure pinpoint where "traditional Jesus" is, all "Jesus" is traditional "Jesus"

2 they still use the Bible and also say that many practices of early Christianity is lost (this is a fact) and that the Bible when read in true translation has its proper meaning

3 Christ is Abrahamic in lineage. It does not say "there are no other divinities" and recognizes that there are other divinities.

Damn, being a mormon god seems to be awesome. Where do I sign up?

And the name of the Lord is not Joseph Smith.

They need to get a certificate signed by Joseph Smith to get into heaven.

Not even kidding.

READ THE CES LETTER

To be fair, you're full of shit and cannot even apprehend the trinity.

There is only one God.

they don't believe Jesus is the Creator; they believe that God created Jesus and Lucifer, and asked them for plans to save mankind.

Different Jesus, different gospel, told to a man by an angel, and therefore accursed.

Mormons are cultists.

We know that Jesus' neighbors in Nazareth grew up with Jesus, and knew the family, and rejected Him. All evidence of Jesus from 12 to 32ish is extra-biblical. None of it is true.

They have their own book that supersedes the bible; the Book of Mormon. So no, they do not have the same bible.

God said there are none like Him. He even said He looked.

I'm gonna believe God over you.

>Not following the Nicaean Creed
>Christian
pick one and only one

Because they believe Jesus Christ is God.

Why is the Nicaean Creed so important to follow?
Legitimate question from someone who knows little about christian history.

It basically defines God as a trinity and affirms that Jesus is the son of God, died on the cross and was resurrected. it's basically the foundation of modern Christianity ever since the fourth century AD, and both Catholicism and Protestantism follow it.

crcna.org/welcome/beliefs/creeds/nicene-creed

What about the different churches before the creed? I doubt they all followed the creed. Were they not christians?

They were heretical sects like the Arians

It's not about following creeds; it's about establishing a relationship with God on His terms.

So /pol/ was right but they had the wrong guys?

Everything pol thinks is a Jewish conspiracy is a Jesuit conspiracy, for the most part.

t. Unitarian

It's still fucking christian retard.

If you do not know that Jesus is God, the Creator, you do not know the real Jesus.

You can call your gardener Jesus and follow him, but you're not a Christian by doing so.

That's the Catholic Church

One ousia.

>What about the different churches before the creed?
All accounted for, munched by muslim invaders(but those were niceean) or went out of Christendom and became extinct.
>I doubt they all followed the creed.
No, they didn't.
But the creed was a compilation of the most mainstream view at the time, and even the Arians believed in similar stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=6d2lOQpuqd4

Actually no one knows where "Jesus" was, not even the churches release the truth about where He was. I'm also going to believe God over you.

This is good.

Arians are also Christian

They aren't.

End thread.

fuckk you. shit awnser

That's what you get if you ask a stupid question based on a factually incorrect statement, kiddo.

Because they're proddies.

They are Christian, identify as Christian, follow Christ's teachings, and only have minor differences.

>follow Christ's teachings
>only have minor differences
my sides

Jesus is God.

They follow Joseph Smith's teachings, not Jesus'.

Christians widely consdier them so. They are seen as a cult by moany Christians.

Mormons would prefer to be considered "just another denomination of Christians" so as not to get persecuted again.

>Christianism = Belief that Jesus Christ is God.
No.

They follow the teachings of Christ and Joseph Smith. Christ always comes first in the word Christian, so a person associating with Christ in the essence He teaches. When it comes to the beliefs of denomination, that is strictly denominational association.

I wouldn't want to have to answer for the slander of saints, papist.

>They follow the teachings of Christ and Joseph Smith.
error

No error. Every Christian follow the teaching of Christ and then they also follow someone else's teachings about Christ. Orthodox, Luther, Catholics, all do the same thing. You read what Christ says and then someone else's revelations.

>Orthodox
>Catholics
>Mormons
>follow the teaching of Christ
wew
Their teachings are contrary to Christ's teachings

How? The denomination is different but the Christ is the same. Each person only associates with the denomination but each has an individual relationship to God. So, stereotyping is dangerous in religious associations because to say "they are not Christian" is not for you to say, because you need to develop your own personal relationship to God, each person relating to Him on their own.

Interesting history incident about early Mormism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Island_(Lake_Michigan)#The_Mormon_kingdom_on_Beaver_Island

Also, here's an unrelated anecdote with an encounter I had with two qt Mormon missionaries a few months ago
>live in a redneck dirt-road neighborhood in a small town
>walking my dog one day
>see two young qts going door to door dressed in formal attire (despite it being 80+ degrees) while on one of the roads I normally walk down everyday, and think they're probably some teens apart of a fundraising or political shit apart of their school or college
>they start to walk towards me, and panic, because I got the spergs and my dog can sense my anxiety and gets defensive of me against other people when I start to quickly walk away and try to avoid people, so I often stay put and wait for them to talk to me and move on, so that he doesn't be a dick and bark at them and make me look like a jackass.
>they start talking to me if I believe in God and Jesus and shit, and I just want to desperately leave, so I austistically memble yes so I can get on my way.
>"oh that's cool! What do you like most about Jesus?"
>say "uh, erh... that he was so selfless, I-I guess?", like what the fuck am I supposed to say to that question.
>one of them says "Wow, you're so awesome" in a cheerful voice, which, I assume, she probably had the same sperg level as I did, or that they're really selling something else.
>they go on and ask me what I know about Joseph Smith and the Mormon church, and say that I was a little bit familiar with them.
>they give me the location of their church and ask me if I would go, and being the autist that I am, I said yes (even though I didn't), and they leave
>go on with the rest of my walk and kick myself in the foot like the Underground man for being such an autist

also meant to post this autistic pepe to fit with the greentext story

If you go to their Whack Job meeting you can probably get a QT's number.

On the other hand, there is that greentext of the user becoming a Jehovah's witness for his oneitis and getting cucked, so be careful my dude.

Joseph Smith is a prophet to them. To everyone else here he was a crazy who was killed and his followers run out of Illinois