Is it true that more expensive gas (not talking about octane ratings...

Is it true that more expensive gas (not talking about octane ratings, just stations that charge more) is better for the longevity your car? I usually just go to Arco/Fred Meyer/wherevers cheap, but I've heard it's better to pay the extra to fill it up at Shell

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ-ds9LIvw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I get the best mileage out of Shell.

It won't make your car last longer though..

Maybe fuel filter will last longer, but that's it.

Same gas, cheaper stuff has usually just sat longer in the tanks. It has all the same additives and won't make a difference.

Other way around; cheap shit fuel is usually full of crap and, in the US, enough ethanol to rot your fuel lines.

Isn't it more likely that expensive fuel has been sitting in the tanks longer because more people buy the cheap stuff?

ARCO is top tier, so you are good.

More expensive gas might have better detergent. I think there was an episode about this on 5th Gear

Nope. Doesn't make sense logistically, map out the refineries in your area there aren't enough for different gas blends to make sense financially.

All you need to know: use Top Tier rated stations and use your cars suggested octane on the fuel cap.

>Is it true that more expensive gas (not talking about octane ratings, just stations that charge more) is better for the longevity your car?
The type of gasoline you get is also dependent on your city or area's terminal. Gasoline is shipped by pipeline and if special, is stored in its own giant holding tank. Those big cylindrical tanks use up scarce real estate that the terminals. Most of the brands of gas in your area probably came out of the same pipeline but had different proprietary additives added.

If gasoline is separated by tanks, it would probably be low sulfur versus high sulfur gas. The low sulfur gas is the base stock for all the Top Tier gas stations because they set limits on sulfur, metallic additives, and ethanol. The higher sulfur less refined gas goes to the non-top tier stations which set no limitations other than the fuel meets the technically legal gasoline definition set by the federal government.

Can anyone confirm if it's worth occasionally running higher octane through the average car? I've heard boomers say to do once and a while, but well, those retards don't even believe in synthetics

I live in a city with an oil/gas refinery located right outside downtown (Western Refining)

is this good and how do I take advantage of it

Buy gasoline in bulk.

But gosh mister, isn't it ILLEGAL to store a bunch of gasoline or something

Higher octane gasolines also have more additives in them that are benficial. Shell has nitro or whatever they call it, chevron has techron

The higher octane gasolines typically have higher amounts of those as well, but you can get techron in a bottle at parts stores

So unless your car needs 91 or 93 (typically because it has forced induction or a high compression ratio) you don't need them because the other benefits of the higher octane gas (the additives) can be bought in a bottle

youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ-ds9LIvw

Not necessarily, just buy what your manual reccomends and always choose TopTier Gas, it's the only that has the best MPG.

But you should not use premium on cars that don't require it, waste of money. Shell should have similar additives for regular gas.

Refineries can add different shit for different customers, dipshit.

More expensive gas usually has more lubricants and detergents which are beneficial for your engine. Cheaper gas has these too but in lesser amounts as they are required by law.

If your engine is designed for premium (91+ octane) gas then you pretty much need it for your engine to function at its best.

Here in Germany it makes no difference for normal fuel. Only if you buy premium stuff with high octane ratings/diesel with special additives does it makes sense to stick to Shell or ARAL. That being said I'm always wary of 'Ye Olde Papa's Filling Stations' and use namebrands exclusively when going abroad to Italy/France/Belgium/Czechia.

This is true

It won't hurt the car at all, you'll just waste money. And the lower octane gases do have additives, just not in higher concentrations. Which is entirely negated when you can buy those detergents in a bottle at the parts store