>Motorcycle Hot Opinions

/dbt/ map:
google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1YwqbzbdRjMAItdOZPktcND3Nr98

Noob? Git gud:

spicy webbums, now with sound!
Old tred:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0M5RHRuUUuA
maximhonda.net/Motorcycles-Honda-CBR250-2012-Allen-TX-1cdc34df-0fb5-452d-91c0-a7690136b655
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RIP nicky

RIP Nicky

youtube.com/watch?v=0M5RHRuUUuA

Please ensure these threads are up until at least summer 2018. I'm currently dumping my money into crypto and savings so I won't have time to take the course and purchase a bike/gear while it's still warm out this year. I will use these threads to look forward to the semi-near future.

F

We've been doing this for 6+ years user, it's not going to stop any time soon, just get shittier.

mate i've been here since the incarnation of amerifag, it's not going away

>Mcrae helicopter crash
>Schumacher skiing
>Hayden bicycling
It's never the bullet you're looking for that gets you.

Learning who this man is, and his life, and then becoming a sad person.
Fucking Murrica!

fuck bicycles
>F

F

One for Nicky.

Too much truth in that, user.

My dad worked high risk petroleum field development for years, never got hurt. Then one Christmas he took a 2.5" diameter stick to the brain right through his face while testing a snowmobile in our driveway.

You never know what's going to get you.

also Bob Wollek, bicycle accident

I guess one could argue that you're more prepared against the dangers you deal with on a regular basis, and not so much against the ones that you encounter more rarely.

Sorry to hear that though user.

F

Is the gsxr 750 the best balance for the road? 1000's seam overkill, but 600's need to be wound way out for power

At work, fucking sucks I thought that he might make it through somehow

I'm just glad it didn't get dragged out over several months so that everyone is numb to it.

>Pouring it in the drain
That's not how you do that user

Also
>Glenfiddich
>Not Glenlivet

I'm nearing my $4 grand budget and I'm having trouble deciding between:

SV650 - ~$3-4k
DR650 - ~$4k ( or new - $6700)
DRZ400 - $?? havent seen many postings
KLR650 - ~$3-4k

It's been 2 years since I last rode and it was only dirtbikes on back roads. I like having off road capabilities but haven't found many trails so It may not be worth it to go enduro. biggest thing is I plan on doing long distances. Streetbikes aren't very enticing because my life revolves around a clean driving record (CDL, etc) I'm leaning toward a DR650 because it seems like the best in-between, my dad said just keep a set of enduro tires for the SV650 and call it good Any thoughts?

Get the DR

Honestly user, you listed 4 bikes and three of them are dual sports.

Get the DR650 and don't look back, you'll enjoy it. DRZ400 is fun if you want a supermoto, but I've got a special fondness for 650 thumpers.

I TOLD YOU CUNTS THREADS AGO THAT NICKY HAYDEN WAS DEAD

NOOOOO, NO-ONE EVER LISTENS

I got respect, but not enough to walk downstairs.
I didn't really want to do it in the drain, but that's what I got. Couldn't do the floor, I don't own the floor.

Also, Glenfiddich>Glenlivet, per my tastes.

GS500 for 800 and the rest on prozac to numb the pain of buying a GS500

What year is yours?
has the stock tank been enough for you? I think I read you can go about 130mi
Yeah I think I'd be able to adapt quicker

Also you think it's worth it to go new? It's like 2k more and I can build some credit, I want to eventually save up for an AfricaTwin though (
~14k) so it might be worth it to put the extra 2k toward that

If you're already looking at the DR650 and KLR650, you might also look at the XR650L. The KLR is the most road oriented of the three, but if you're used to dirtbikes the XR will feel the most familiar.

In stock form, it's got a little less oomph across the entire RPM range than the DR. It's also really tall, which is a pro some places but a con for riders with an inseam shorter than say 30". More suspension travel, shorter wheel base, wider gear ratio. Similar aftermarket. You can find them everywhere for cheap because they haven't changed in something like 20 years.

Both bikes are easy to squeeze a little extra power out of.

Whatever you buy, I don't think it's worth buying a DR650 or XR650L new. The used market has a ton of them and that $2k is better spent on gear, upgrades, or saving for a new bike. I got my 2005 XR with 1400 miles on it in 2012 for either $4200 or $4800.

RIP

SV else the KLR.

He was killed on a bicycle, it`s as bad as someone finding him dead after having a heart attack while masturbating.

Yes
>600 chassis
>more torque
>more power
>better torque/power band

I still poured one for my man Chad when he died doing the whole auto erotica asphyxiation
It's not how they die, it's how they lived.
We all do embarrassing shit.

this

If you don't really have trails to ride then get a street bike. Street bikes make better street bikes than dual sports.
>need clean driving record
To me, street bikes bring out my hoon less than dual sports. I'll occasionally speed on my street bike but I do illegal shit way less often than on my dual sport. The DS just always wants to wheelie and go fast on narrow roads.

>I got respect, but not enough to walk downstairs.
Maybe you should do that more, fatty.

I do need to lose a few, but mainly I had just got back home.
What I need to work on is my run. My cardio is for shit.

People have no regard for their safety on slower two wheeled vehicles for some reason

>motorcyle
>perilous balancing act
>zero visibility
>everyday speeds range from 0mph to 60mph
>traveling alongside cars going the same speed as you
"all the gear, all the time"

>scooter
>same shit
shorts, polo, "helmet"

>bicycle
>same shit but won't go faster than 25mph uphill
>traveling alongside cars going twice as fast as you driven by people who think you should go to the skate park/mountain trails where you belong
paper thin gimp suit and a brain cap

Dual sports are for wheelies and illegally riding up on footpaths. They're uncomfortable, vibrating pieces of shit with short fuel ranges so that's what road riders use them for.

Buy a sensible, capable street bike and just truck a real dirtbike to the trails once you find them.

>Buy a sensible, capable street bike and just truck a real dirtbike to the trails once you find them.

>tfw you want to hate him, but you know there is a bit of truth in his lies...

I have to agree with user, Fiddich is better.

that's a little later than I expected

different user
It's 100% trueth.

You don't even need a truck man

>perilous balancing act
How so?

>Dual sports are for wheelies and illegally riding up on footpaths.

You mean sumos and anything below adventure bikes? True dual sports like the Vstrom, Tiger, and GS are long distance Dirt road but not dirt trail bikes, are relatively comfortable.

Dem titties tho.

Yeah, deep down inside I know it. When I picked up my bike I rented a motorcycle trailer from uhaul. It was so... simple and easy, even pulling with my Lexus. It just seemed so wrong.

>Dual sports are for wheelies and illegally riding up on footpaths
No, that's sumos.

Adv bikes aren't dual sports.

They're a separate category of bikes.

Dirt bikes (which itself is divided into enduro, trail, motocross, trials)
Dual sports
Adventure bikes
Scramblers
Standards
Sports
Supersports
Tourers
Cruisers

Anything else like "nakeds" or "sumo" is just a flavor on one of these.

Press f to pay respect.

By definition adv bikes are dual sports. There aren't defined lines between the segments of motorcycles.

that cuts deep u stupid cunt.. whaaaayyy??

So how are you defining dual sport?

>More than average suspension travel.
>Comparatively upright riding position.
>Street legal.

If that's it, sure.

Anyone else have or ride any classic British bikes? Im about a day away from getting my '70 Royal Enfield Interceptor series II running. Super excited.

Street legal bike with offroad capability.

you don't need sticky road tires to do wheelies and violate the idea of dedicated travel areas. sumos are for supermoto racing, nothing about them makes them better for hooning except for the fat front brake that improves your ability to do a stoppie, and most sumo kids are too shit to do a stoppie anyways.

>got new helmet visor
>forecast to rain literally all week
why.png

>Removed carbs and tank on the GS550E
>Replaced fuel pipe between the carbs that was leaking
>Patched the sending unit that was leaking
>Excitedly put it back together
>Start the bike
>5000RPMs out of nowhere

What the fuck? Yes, the choke is off and there aren't any vacuum leaks on the boots (At least I don't think). Ran and idled just fine before taking the carbs out... what the fuck did I do?! I swear this thing is cursed.

>maximhonda.net/Motorcycles-Honda-CBR250-2012-Allen-TX-1cdc34df-0fb5-452d-91c0-a7690136b655

thoughts? would be my first bike.

My CB750 ran right up to 6000 RPM after I put it back together this weekend.

I fucked around with the idle and sync screws and it came down to 2000, but it's still fuckin' weird.

I'm not even going to screw with it any more until my sync tool gets here.

what chain lube/grease yall nigs use?
>cbr600rr if it matters

Nu-Adv bike aka starbucks racer = Road bike modified for light offroading, may have callbacks to rally racing. Two+ cyllinders, standard motorcycle HP for the displacement, heavy with normal streetbike amenities, powerful brakes, dirtbike-like suspension travel and wheel choices

Adv bike = True 50/50 compromise like a KLR650

"Dual sport" = Used to mean 50/50 bike, now means an MX racer-like chassis with a more detuned single cyllinder engine that doesn't need a rebuild every two races even though it's a four stroke

Don't fall for the miniature sportbike meme. They're trackday toys that get overtaken by 1.8l corollas at highway speeds.

Get a GS500.

Carbs could be out of sync. Cleaned them a couple months ago and just kinda bench synced them but never with a sync tool. It doesn't make sense the problem would just start now though... I thought unsynced carbs just made idle inconsistent, not BALLS TO THE WALL

>There aren't defined lines between the segments of motorcycles.
>So how are you defining dual sport?
did you read what he just said?

I KNOW the carbs are completely fucked out of sync on the CB. When I got the bike it idled like shit, stumbled and missed, and bogged / died if you gave it too much throttle too quick all the way up to ~3500 RPM. After that it ran fine.

After the carb cleaning (assuming I didn't fuck anything up in the process), the bike started and idled a little better, but would die immediately with ANY throttle at all.

Fiddling with the sync screws produced results from 6000rpm on start to wouldn't run. Best I managed was a 2000rpm idle with it running ok. Now I'm waiting on a Carbtune II that I ordered two weeks ago to get here.

KLR650 is shit, it's also a dual sport.

>nothing about them makes them better for hooning
Except the massive amount of on road grip afforded by the sportbike tires on 17" rims. The very point behind a supermoto.

Hooning on knobbies is sketchy as fuck unless you ride like shit.

/dbt/ pls help

Trying to put a bike back together, but I can't figure out what this (circled in red) is supposed to connect to. The parts diagram helpfully refers to the tube as "tube", and the connection as "3 way jointset", neither of which tell me anything about what it's for.

There's a vacuum port on the front of the #2 carb for the fuel shutoff, fuel line connects to the item marked 4 in the diagram, and the overflow lines all connect on the bottom. I have no idea what's supposed to go here.

Ideas?

Ugghhh why are carbs so gay?

Chain Wax™ works fine

Uhh it's a fuel tube. It delivers gas to all the carbs.

>knobbies
dual sport tires are fine for everything that's not hard cornering

because it's still a precision system like FI, but instead of plugging in the numbers you have to adjust several screws, once for each carb.

The connection marked as "4" in the diagram is where the fuel line connects, and what delivers fuel to all the carbs. It's also a different size.

Are you telling me I'm supposed to install a splitter and connect different size fuel line to each place? Seems wrong user.

>not having a Schuberth with an internal sun visor

Guys, on the recommendation of an user here I just sent my bikes ECU to Bauce Racing for a derestrict and retune.

Should be about a week and a half turn around time. I'm pretty excited as it's supposed to really wake the bike up in the midrange and allow more than 50-70 percent throttle.

It's also unlocking all the GYTR race ECU features like the quickshifter, lower engine braking, higher idle, lower fan temps, fuel and ignition map tuning, opened up throttle map, disabling all the emissions shit, increased redline, optimized velocity stack, etc.

Cost me $185 plus shipping the ECU there. Pretty excited and thanks to the user who recommended it.

Considering they're purely mechanical, it's impressive they even work as well as they do.

>dual sport tires are fine for everything that's not hard cornering
>hard cornering

That's half the fun of hooning a bike like a supermoto around.

>Ugghhh why are carbs so gay?
>because it's still a precision system like FI, but instead of plugging in the numbers you have to adjust several screws, once for each carb.

yfw muticylinder fuel injected bikes need their throttle bodies balanced in pretty much exactly the same way a multi-carb setup needs to be balanced.

except the VAST majority of supermoto riders never come close to cornering hard enough to break free even the hardest, cheapest dual sport tires.

cool unfounded opinion bro.

In my experience that's complete bullshit. Supermoto riders typically ride harder than any of the other dudes in the canyon from what I've seen.

You must know some pretty shit supermoto riders.

But you won't accidentally fuck up the tuning by taking the injectors, rails, and throttle bodies out to be cleaned of carbon and fuel gunk. You'll just restore the system to its original state.

To properly clean a carb you must start from 0 with everything that's not jet selection.

I do

congrats

yeah I heard thats really good on the r6

You're going to love it bro. Really makes it come alive. Not a ton of gain at the top but the midrange gain is night and day.

By no means am I saying carbs are fun or better in any way. Just that throttle bodies must also be synced to work properly.

Because you hardly ever (read: never) have to disassembly the fuel injection system on a bike, syncing throttle bodies is something you might do once or twice for the life of the bike. And all it involves is hooking up a manometer and twisting some screws.

You never have to dissasemble a carburetor either if you follow best practices and actually have a fuel filter (surprise: some budget nip bikes don't.)

Thing is higher throttle openings at low RPM doesn't do a whole lot with those engines. I have a 600cc I4 with mechanical throttle bodies and in the low-mid range it makes literally zero difference between half and full throttle.

Significant safety gear is not really practical on a bicycle while unless you're going full ADV uncle most motorcycle gear improves performance given its minimal impact on power:weight ratio and positive effect on comfort and body positioning.

For what it's worth even in commuting in the city a 50cc scooter is like 60kph top speed unless it's downhill and 30kph max around any kind of corners while the bike I might see 75kph and the same corners can be 50, plus the possibility I might end up going somewhere faster without stopping at home. The former is also somewhat less likely to be crashed from operator error and isn't nearly as problematic to fall off of or under. (CE armour isn't exactly rated for collisions anyways) T-shirts and flip flops is still dumb but I'm not going to say they're exactly as dangerous regardless.

Yea, it still doesn't give you full throttle in the lower rpm where it wont matter anyway. Only past 6000 or so RPM are you actually able to give it the beans. Stock throttle maps these bikes dont really have any snap below 9,000rpm. Once derestricted they have a ton at 9,000rpm and starts pull hard from 6-7000rpm.

Difference isn't only from the throttle map either, the electronic throttle trumpets (YCCI) are retuned for midrange as well. And the bike's ignition and fuel maps are retuned for your mods.

This is so wrong.
Especially as carbs get older they're very likely to need some work other than just cleaning out dirty fuel. I've had lots of float needles/seats/orings/gaskets that failed. Also they have to be taken off/apart to be retuned any time you make a modification to the bike, unlike EFI where you simply plug it in and upload a map (if any change is needed at all).

>16000rpm

By the time that shit fails by use instead of neglect, your injectors are probably squirting instead of spraying

The only unavoidable disadvantages carbs have are efficiency and how much of a PTIA it is to tune and retune them

She got her cans sticking straight enough out?

As much as I respect the guy he was killed by the usual cyclist stupidity of not stopping/ slowing and looking both ways at an intersection.

>MAXIMUM OVER-WHY

They're called perky tits and non-homosexual men like them

that's not just perky. her bra is pushing them up way too hard.

It's called a bra, ya virgin

I know that they're lies faggots I'm just saying it looks good

Traps aren't gay

It's called having personal standards and it's something non-virgin men can get away with. :^)