So I need a new alternator ground cable but everywhere I can find an OEM cable is "lol fuck you ships in 6 business...

So I need a new alternator ground cable but everywhere I can find an OEM cable is "lol fuck you ships in 6 business days".

Where do I buy thick ass wire with 105C insulation that isn't the internet?

>engine bay pre-unfucking

Other urls found in this thread:

pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/JF-Tech/E30_3_Series_Specification.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Seriously I don't want to pay $25 for 6" of wire and 2 crimp terminals.

goto local parts store, buy a regular black battery cable, install it.

Your over complicating things with "105c insulation", and basically sounding like a faggot needlessly. Its a car not a computer.

Or, if you like, go to a welding shop and buy some wire off the roll and a couple crimp-on terminals.

>Where do I buy thick ass wire with 105C insulation
Welding shop wire has plenty of durability but its insulation might be a bit thicker than what you wanted. You want wire that has resistance to petrochemicals and oil. Obviously, common vinyl insulations do not fit the bill.

the m20 has such a weird intake manifold

where's your battery m8

Gee maybe a fucking autoparts store you hopeless fuck

It's in the trunk where it should be.

It looks like the engine is fighting off a robotic crab. I quite like it. Since that picture I've put in a silicone hose kit because literally everything was leaking and now it looks even more ridiculous.

I want to paint the manifold, rocker cover, and throttle body, but I don't know where to go with that. Red is too BOI RACER HEKTIK HACHIROKU. Thinking a deep ass navy blue.

Everything they have is china shit lamp cord that's going to melt in 3 weeks.

>DURALAST

I just bought 10 feet of 2 gauge welding cable and some crimp lugs for $25 on amazon. Forgot I had prime. It'll be here in tomorrow afternoon.

>Everything they have is china shit lamp cord that's going to melt in 3 weeks.
You're fucking retarded.

Just get a fat gauge wire and bolt that cunt right to the chassis.

>60C rated battery cable
>16" away from exhaust headers
>with 90 amps running through it
nigger

What the fuck is C? A cable isn't a battery.

4/0 gauge cable is rated for 360 amps. Stop being being a stupid fucking autist.

He means degrees Celsius

my e30 (before it burned, rip in peace) had the battery in that empty space in the top left corner of your pic. what else would that be for.

it wasn't until I was emptying the car out before its final voyage to the pick a part that I saw there was another battery in the trunk. I never got to check what it was wired to.

I think the manifold looks good in white. I had a picture of one in an all black engine bay but I forgot it's on my other pc. fuk

It's how hot the insulation can get before it starts melting and shorts to something that you don't want it shorting to.

105C insulation is desirable. Shitty chinese 3-strand battery cables with vinyl insulation are 60C and probably shouldn't be used anywhere very close to a hot engine.

I'm dumb but I'm not an idiot.

I always thought that was a curious void up there. Near as I can tell, the trunk battery is a factory installation. It has a nice plastic tray for it and everything. Even the positive cable runs the length of the car through the interior. Not sure if that was a mod that someone did or what. I've read that they did that for ballast because the M20 is heavy, and longitudinally mounting it made the car really front heavy. There's also like 50 pounds of tar in the spare wheel well in the trunk for rear ballast. I would take it out, but the car already weighs only 2700 pounds. There is very, very little fat on these cars.

Previously only ever having driven modern cars (my daily weighs 3600 pounds), holy damn you can feel the difference that 900 pounds makes to handling.

I also get to be that faggot with a BMW that has classic auto plates on it.

You no evidence to support your delusions.
Millions of people run these cables. Ground it on the intake side.

there's soundproofing tar all under the rear seat too, but tar in general is a bitch to take out. not worth it since it'll fuck with the balance/handling that e30s are known for.

2700 pounds? what model do you have? pic related was the plate in my door jamb, it says 3800 lbs.

I used to be able to take sharp turns at 40, and I don't doubt I could have taken them even faster, but now my tires squeal at 20 in my pigfat camry (though that's probably because I have massive positive camber after hitting a curb). goddamn I miss that car.

aren't you limited to 100 miles a year once you get classic plates? I was considering doing it to get around smog requirements but it was my daily.

pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/JF-Tech/E30_3_Series_Specification.htm

It's a 1984 manual trans E. That says 2650. The '84s are apparently also a little lighter still. I'd like to get it weighed without my fat ass in it. I plan on getting a strut bar and a cross brace eventually, which should add like 30 or 40 pounds, but more stiffness will let me turn onto side streets in 4th gear.

E30s are getting harder and harder to find. Grab beater while you can. They're fun to work on.

And that requirement is for Antique vehicles. Somehow that's different from Classic. They also only sent me one plate, and Texas is a two-plate hell hole.

The crispy ass ground cable that I pulled out supports my delusion that it got hot as fuck.

Junk yard

>being so stupid you don't know what gross weight means

>melting and shorts to something

It's a ground cable. Just route it away from the +12V and it won't matter if it touches the engine block.

If you're ground cable got hot, you have more problems than just a bad cable.

Ground cables SHOULD NEVER get hot.

It's hot from the exhuast running past it, dumbass

Then you're even more of a dumbass. The exhaust should never be hot enough to melt the cable.

You should never ever ever touch a wrench again.

I'm not even OP, I'm just actually reading the thread

>your exhaust headers should never be hot enough to melt shitty wire insulation
u wot m8

>insulation melts
>wire conductor gets wet
>full of brake dust and road shit
>conductor corrodes
>voltage drop across alternator ground
>shit gets even hotter
>insulation melts even harder, feeding back
>voltage drop gets bad enough to interfere with battery charging
>you get stranded