How many miles do you think Bill Murray's 1972 Chevy C-10 in Groundhog Day have on it?

How many miles do you think Bill Murray's 1972 Chevy C-10 in Groundhog Day have on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HYAx9RX1OmY
youtube.com/watch?v=gKGOG-Pr81E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why don't you run a Carfax© report on it?

I would like to know this answer as well.

Well since it got reset everyday.....

Also only had 5digit odometer so resets every 100k

No, assuming it didn't reset everyday.

no. the premise of the movie was about a man that was trapped living the same day over and over again. the truck's mileage reset everyday. fuck you. you are a faggot.

No, I think you're misunderstanding. Like, what if the truck's mileage didn't reset everyday? What do you think the mileage was on it?

It reset every day.

You're still not getting it. Like, what if it didn't? How many miles would it have on it?

it resets

Are you niggers really having a fight over the odometer of a truck in a fucking movie?

But what if it didn't?
Not fighting at all. Just making conversation about automobiles.

>what if it didn't?
>what if it didn't?
>what if the truck's mileage didn't
>assuming it didn't

no. FUCK OFF. THIS RHETORICAL QUESTION IS RETARDED AND YOU NEED TO STOP

But what if the truck's mileage didn't reset? What do you think the mileage would be?

It's a good lookin' truck, right?

it reset

NO MORE WHAT IFS. YOUR TIME IS UP. MY TIME IS NOW. ENOUGH OF THIS

Ok, cool. I'm asking what it would be like if it didn't, though.
Relax, bud. It's just a question. What do you think the mileage would be?

STOP IT

Why? It's just a fun little hypothetical discussion. What's wrong? Do you have mental problems?

You see each day was the same day repeating, so the mileage didn't accumulate.

>Do you have mental problems?

do YOU? You're the one making crazy talk here. People like you should be executed. This is insanity. Stop posting

It would be anywhere from 00000 to 99999

Totally get it. But like, what if it did?
Just like, give me a quick guess, dude. How many do miles do you think were on it?
Nah, that's too little.

OP the mileage reset every day though

That's all it can display.

reset
e
s
e
t

It didn't, though.

I know but like what if it didn't, ya know?
Right, but we're abstract thinkers and we can think about how many miles would be on it, over and above what it could display. I mean, we're human, after all.

It only has as many miles as it displays.

You and I both have seen enough disreputable dealers to know that's not true.

>I know but like what if it didn't, ya know?

But it does, ya know.

>But it does, ya know.
I do. I really do. But I'm asking what if it didn't?

>1972-chevrolet-c10-pickup
>250kon the odometer
>150k miles were done in an alternate reality
>service every 6 months (car is 500 years old)

I
T
d
I
D

I think that's way too low. I've seen some estimates that Groundhog Day took place over 10,000 years.
I know. But if it didn't, what would you think?

it resets though

Imagine if it didn't, though?

>Veeky Forums receives a tiny hitler clone.png

it resets to what it was the previous day

but if it didn't, what would you say?

Anyone want to have a guess?

shut up that's what i would say

My guess is it would be the same each day since it resets.

Probably like a billion dude

No see I'm asking if it didn't reset each day? What do you think? Like if it or we just added it up in succession.

What do you think?

>Probably like a billion dude
How did you reach that conclusion?

The movie doesn't say, but in the book, he repeats the same day basically the equivalent of 10,000 years.

So the truck would have lots of miles on it if it didn't reset every day.

>you are a faggot.
this

How many do you think, though?

i think it reset everyday

Eh, 3 million.

Yeah you're probably right. But what if it didn't?
Nah, that's way too low.

It would be whatever it was when he started driving that day because all the miles he put on it were removed when the day reset.

This guy estimated based on evidence from the film that he spent 12395 days (33 years) on Groudhog Day.
youtube.com/watch?v=HYAx9RX1OmY

Phil also didn't drive the truck every day, because why would he? He wouldn't be able to get far, so it would be futile.

We only ever see him get in it for that one scene to steal the groundhog and drive off the cliff.

Most of the scenes of him traveling around town, he's walking anyway.

It doesn't really matter, since it resets

I feel ya. I really do. But let's just, for argument's sake, do a hypothetical on if it didn't reset. What would you say?

>way too low
Small town, didn't drive it every day, can only drive it so far in a day.

I've seen estimates anywhere from 33 years to 10,000 years to 1,000,000 years.

I like where your head is at, though.

I mean, he could drive the truck every day. He may even do hundreds of miles in a day for a while.

Then again, who's to say that's the truck he drove every day?

Interesting thoughts, user.

This is some astonishing form of autism.

it would be the same every day. Except for the last day because he didn't drive out there.

Yeah but if it didn't, ya know?
No you're misunderstanding. I mean, no matter how many days he's stuck or how much he drove it, what do you think the mileage added up to?

No he didn't do the same thing everyday. Also, I'm not asking about the daily mileage, I'm asking about the total mileage. What do you think the total mileage on the 1972 Chevy C-10 pickup would be? Total, as in, if it didn't reset and we continued to add it up?

But that seems a trivial thing to discuss.
The obvious question being asked is if it didn't.

Another way to ask the question is: How many miles did Bill Murray himself drive in the Chevy over the many groundhog days, regardless of what the odometer in the vehicle indicated.

This guy gets it.

it'd be what he starts his day with, since it resets every morning (in the movie he wakes up and the day is the same as the day before, etc)

this, run a fucking VIN check you idiot.

I don't know what the future will be but I know there are some slippery spots in the garage between the Boomer and their love of conspiracy theories.

Oh I didn't mean to get all existential. I was just wondering what you thought the mileage would be if we added it up.

oh well if you meant it that way, it'd be whatever it was that morning, since it resets

But it's a bit of a long shot at least consult with Mitsubishi and convert it to a certified public accountant of the gearbox motor.

Yeah but if you had to guess the total what would you say?
Now I'm confused. I hope the bot gives a good guess, though.

I have never run into one that has given me even a hint of the right of the costco entrance.

Hmmm. How many miles would you say though?

The objective is to establish the gearbox motor data and I think I have the tool to do that shit unless you want to consult your doctor.

>I mean, he could drive the truck every day. He may even do hundreds of miles in a day for a while.
The whole movie is about Phil going through a transition from being a bastard to improving himself. Can you learn French and recite poetry, learn to ice sculpt, learn the piano, and all of the errands while driving a significant amount of miles every groundhog day?

youtube.com/watch?v=gKGOG-Pr81E

It even starts the big snow storm in the early evening, further reducing times of the day that Phil could drive.

Also, consider that the truck is stolen from Buster Green. Phil would have to steal the truck from a well-respected member of the community every day that he wanted to drive it. Phil isn't a kleptomaniac, he only stole it once that we see for his single attempt at suicide by catastrophic crash in the quarry.

My connection to this movie is that I used to teach the mayor's wife computers.

Big, nice house in Chicago. Didn't clean up the cats shit though.

I don't think you fully grasp just how long he's there.

I mean, even in the short clip you showed, it indicates that Phil has learned of every single unique moment in the town. Now, that could bolster your argument. But it would also suggest or cause us to imagine that there was at least some point in time where Phil was desperately trying to escape the town.

Eventually he resigned himself to learn all the intricacies and idiosyncrasies of the town.

Neat.

What do you think the mileage on the 1972 Chevy C-10 was in the context of the film? If we were to add up the mileage and it didn't reset, of course. That'd be silly.

Bout tree fiddy.

I don't think anyone knows how long he was there or exactly what he did during all of those groundhog days so this is all opinion.

>imagine that there was at least some point in time where Phil was desperately trying to escape the town.
The first time they tried to leave the town, Phil quickly (within the same day) discovered the futility of leaving. Him being a meteorologist, probably understood more how futile it was to try and leave.

I'd stipulate that one morning, he probably got up and stole that truck or another vehicle right out of town, but the first time he woke up it would be back in Punxsutawney, so that's probably only good for one long trip back to Pittsburgh?

Hardly a big deal in the perspective of tens to thousands of years of time, don't you think?

Your logic is not bad at all. I suppose I'm putting myself into the situation.

I mean, my brain would think, maybe if I go the other way? Maybe if I try this road or that road?What do I have to lose?

I mean, who's to say it's not the snowstorm that's causing it all?

Furthermore, as a meteorologist, I doubt he'd continue to think it were futile to leave. In fact, you could probably argue that a meteorologist would be even MORE tempted to brave the storm due to their vast experience with, well, storms.

Personally, I just can't imagine proceeding to figure out truly every minute detail that happens through the course of the day in the town, effectively becoming God, without first trying to figure out every and any means of potential escape. Almost as if figuring out every aspect of the town would be the last resignation of my fate.

Either way, you do bring some intelligent thinking to the subject. I appreciate it.

>maybe if I go the other way? Maybe if I try this road or that road?What do I have to lose?
Phil already started to lower the percent chance that he'd be getting out of his groundhog day cycle on the very first days, so he probably was already highly pessimistic about his chances for success.

If Phil's day started at 6AM (according to the clock and radio show that starts), and Phil got on the road by 8AM, there are a lot of choices of roads to make before he falls asleep. He had no clues to go on about choosing a road that would yield better results, adding to the futility of such a task.

Even if you were told that there was *a* way to escape, what criteria would you use to figure it out? Exhaustively try every route permutation?

>who's to say it's not the snowstorm that's causing it all?
It's funny that you say that, because the first time that I watched this movie, I personally considered if some strange weather magic was happening to create this loop in time -- like an aurora borealis.

>Furthermore, as a meteorologist, I doubt he'd continue to think it were futile to leave. In fact, you could probably argue that a meteorologist would be even MORE tempted to brave the storm due to their vast experience with, well, storms.
I see what you mean, but good meteorologists don't make good drivers in blizzard conditions, but it doesn't matter because a semi blocks the one road that they got on. This probably cuts off many avenues of escape from above though...

>Personally, I just can't imagine proceeding to figure out truly every minute detail that happens through the course of the day in the town, effectively becoming God, without first trying to figure out every and any means of potential escape.
Part of the movie is exploring the stages of understanding his new reality, but you might only really know when you find yourself looping the same day like Phil.

>Either way, you do bring some intelligent thinking to the subject. I appreciate it.
Likewise

Nobody else is noticing the same question asked over and over?

It's eerily similar to the "Does this character's ass look flabby or fit?" shit threads on /v/.

It's just a question you guys. I know there are some really great and totally awesome and original threads on Veeky Forums that have totally awesome way better really great and really original and amazing discussions, but if you had to take a guess, what would it be?

>Phil already started to lower the percent chance that he'd be getting out of his groundhog day cycle on the very first days, so he probably was already highly pessimistic about his chances for success.
I don't know. I think panic would more likely set in, particularly in the very first days/first months. I would assume that the first part would be when he would do his most driving. As escaping the town would probably be the first natural thought/reaction to attempt to figure out/escape/put a stop to the situation.

>Even if you were told that there was *a* way to escape, what criteria would you use to figure it out? Exhaustively try every route permutation?
I see what you're saying, but we're shown in the movie that Phil knows literally every single permutation of the town and what happens in it. From a kid falling out of a tree, to flat tires, to indiivdual's hopes and dreams and backgrounds, down to things like the moment someone lights their cigarette. He literally knows every single action/behavior/background of anyone and everything in town.

>Part of the movie is exploring the stages of understanding his new reality, but you might only really know when you find yourself looping the same day like Phil.
Well of course.