So my dad has offered to buy me my first car and I realised a Porsche 924 is in budget...

So my dad has offered to buy me my first car and I realised a Porsche 924 is in budget. I don't really know much about cars but I like how they look and I've heard Porsche's are pretty reliable as far as performance cars go, would a 924 make a good first car or not?

Thanks guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-924S-NEW-OEM-SACHS-CLUTCH-KIT-KF298-02-KF29802-94411691100/272113086374
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get the 928, you won't regret it.

youll get something with a van engine thats broken.

the ford capri has a better engine from a van and it will also work.

It's do-able but be prepared to spend a little more on parts than you would for a Japanese 2 door coupe of the same age. Definitely you'd need to do your own labor because any Porsche dealership will charge out the ass on a car this old, and your average Joe Shit the Ragman isn't going to want to wrench on it either.
In short, don't do it and set your sights elsewhere for a daily. This would be more acceptable as a second car to have fun with on the side.

Any shop worth their salt will wrench on it, but you should always wrench yourself. Parts are gonna be crazy expensive. Now don't even think of getting a 944

>Parts are gonna be crazy expensive
Depends on the year, early ones used a lot of regular old VW parts since it was originally built in collaboration with VW. Then an economic crisis hit and VW decided to build the Scirocco on the Golf platform instead, leaving Porsche with the 924.

Unless we're talking about the S, that one's basically a narrow-body regular 944 and uses all Porsche-specific parts.

>first car
>old porsche

kys

I wasn't talking engine parts. I was talking suspension, body, interior etc.

Parts will be expensive, a USED clutch cost me 650 dollars for my 944S, regardless of engines in the cars they're all pretty specific to themselves and also old as balls so parts are hard to find. Speaking of the engines OP:

The 924 is a fucking failure. I say this as a Porsche fan boy, I had a 944 S, 944 S2, 928 S4, and recently looked at a boxster. The 924 is horrible. It's got a mega garbage vw van engine in it, isn't that lightweight, doesn't have the weight ratio the 944 has, one of the sloppiest shifters and steering rack I've ever seen in a sports car. It's basically an underpowered 944, it's just as complicated with the rear transmission and other shit without the actual fun of it and also more unreliable, which is saying something because the base 944 is also underpowered as fuck. Basically get a 87 944 S. That way it's still lightish at 2700lbs, has DOHC with 230 bhp (prolly not gonna be doing that with an old car tho). You'll still have the terrible shifter but the steering is actually responsive though and you can actually find parts.

Yeah, early 924s used some VW suspension parts, although admittedly some were modified versions.

The things you listed are solved in aftermarket, although its quite expensive. I would definitely not recommend getting any 944.

A 924 is literally a worse 944, so that means you wouldn't recommend any 924 either.

>87 944 S
Are they available with an automatic?

>Buy 924
>LS swap
>Solve most of the reliability problems

don't do it, just ask for a used Corolla or something. 928s are cool but they're very maintenance-intensive for what they are. They make for shitty DDs and even shittier first cars.

You'd need a stronger transmission and better brakes at the very least, and no, a T56 will not fit because they don't have a transmission tunnel.

Might as well just buy a Corvette to begin with.

>solved in aftermarket
>first car
Dur. Kids not gonna be doing shit on it, he just see "ooohh porsche for 2k usd!!" Also there's basically no solving the horrible steering rack and AWFUL, underpowered pos engine unless you're swapping them completely or turboing, which see
>first car
944 is superior to the 924 in every single way except interior, which it just matches since they're pretty much the same pre '87. Hell, I'd take a base 944 over a 924S.

Still cheaper than keeping it running in stock form for a year.

Eh, you'd probably have to replace the entire drivetrain and chassis in the first year and Porsche parts are way fucking expensive so you're probably right.

Not certain, mine was a 88 (so pigfat) 5 speed. I'd imagine so but I wouldn't recommend an auto. Auto trans are garb back then, especially with the 944 because it has such a long transmission linkage since it's on the rear axle basically. I know automatic trans is extremely common in the 928, manuals being basically non existent in them

>"I need a first car'
>"Spergy mcsperg LS swap an 80s Porsche"
Veeky Forums is full of fucking retards.

Just buy literally anything else from this pic, it'll be faster and more reliable than some beater transaxle Porsche.

>I don't really know much about cars but I like how they look and I've heard Porsche's are pretty reliable as far as performance cars go
Newer ones, yes. The 928, 924 and 944, definitely not.

If you want a "beginner's" Porsche, get a first gen Boxster.

The 944 is a much better car, BUT in one thing... its less reliable than a fucking rotary.

Nah, they're reliable. Took 5 years of daily driving with basically no maintenence (changed the oil twice in 5 years maybe) to kill mine. You just gotta be skillful for if shit DOES break, cause you're fucked if you know nothing about it.

I had a friend super into 944's and he even said it was the most unreliable car he could think of.

OP, don't listen to these autistic spergtards.

What's your budget? $10k?

I know, I know, you're not going to want to hear this because you're an aspiring autistic spergtard, but do not do this. I know what's going through your head right now is you think buying a "classic" Porsche is gonna get you all the super hot babes in high school who will recognize your cunning intellect and sophisticated taste. Do. Not. Buy. This. Car.

I say again, do not buy this car.

You will not work on it. You will not have enough money to work on it. There will be no super hot babes who think you were not cool before but now you're super cool. There will not be THE ONE who sees something in you and you live happily ever after telling everyone you're high school sweethearts.

If your budget is $10k, buy like an '09 Ford Fusion or something.

Do not buy this shit.

>Writes novel leading up to suggesting a fucking Fusion
With
Either le epic troll xD or retard.

Kinda this. If you want a sports car get a Mustang or a Camaro both are extremely reliable.

If you must have a classic shitbox get something Japanese or American, at least you'll be able to get parts.

Sorry, Autismo, but an '09 Fusion is a great car for a high school kid in 2017. A car that he's gonna be able to spend $20 and get an oil change and maybe have some money left over to go to the movies with his friends.

Not some mid 80's "classic" Porsche shitbox he buys from some greasy assed dude he meets off ebay or craigslist.

A high school kid should buy a car that was a big seller and was well known so he can get parts and whatever work needs done will be cheap. It may not run perfect, but it'll run and it won't cost him every dime he makes stocking shelves at Costco to keep moving.

Trust me, OP. These people are retarded autistic spergs. Do not buy some "classic" Porsche. That's literally the dumbest decision you could make.

Like girls? Hell, buy a beat up Wrangler or something. High school chicks love Wranglers. Especially in the summer.

Trust me, OP. Trust me.

I'm sorry my man but you got turbomerchant'd.
ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-924S-NEW-OEM-SACHS-CLUTCH-KIT-KF298-02-KF29802-94411691100/272113086374

topkek

Fusions melt their own engines, mongoloid

Yes and It might have a V6 so
Muh v6

Wasn't available 3 years ago :/ I checked every possible option at the time.

>buying some old ass porsche as a FIRST car
>DADDY buying it

you've triggered me into replying

lets end this discussion and be realistic. you're getting an old rental car, a

500 hundred goddamn dollars for a clutch

Ignore the Ford shills OP, they get paid to post this shit. Old Porches are pussy magnets.

>$10k budget
>buy a Ford Fusion
I know this is a troll, but OP could do so much better.
My $10k fleet
>Miata for $3k (drive for fun when no one is looking)
>clean Mercedes w124 for $3k (for driving passengers and going out in public)
>old Toyota 4x4 for $4k (off road and snow)
Objectively the best fleet for the money

If you live in a magical fucking fairyland with no upkeep or insurance costs then yeah, buying 3 cars instead of 1 as a "first car" makes sense. In the real world it doesn't.