Is there anything to know about driving vehicles that have a lot of horsepower...

Is there anything to know about driving vehicles that have a lot of horsepower? I see all these fail videos where people just try to do a burnout or floor it and can't even keep it in a straight line. Are these people just that dumb or what? At what HP does a vehicle become difficult to drive if you are inexperienced? I have never driven anything with more than 275HP and I was thinking of buying a high 400HP range engine. Basically don't floor it or do any dumb shit and it's no different than anything else right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YdBuwzRAEAw
youtu.be/WxzYdCyEZ3E
youtube.com/watch?v=b_6gNbQUDRk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Personally i've got no ide because im a poorfag nobody, but my guess would be dumbasses when it comes to wrecking pic related and similar, those cars are literally built to keep retards alive, modded high hp cars however, probably harder to handle

I'm drunk and eu, don't you fucking judge my grammar.

1.get good
2.dont be a fag

What is considered high horsepower by the majority of people?

>vehicle gives way more power to the wheels
>people are putting too much power on the wheels

i honestly have no idea how to fix this problem

Keep TCS on when not being an idiot, have practiced in a controlled environment beforehand when being an idiot. New money rarely has experience handling high performance vehicles and will pay the price for showing off.

I had my FD dyno'd at 320bhp, which was enough to spin the wheels up without having to left foot the brake. You have to be an actual retard to lose control of a car doing a burnout, you literally just ease off the gas gently while keeping the front wheels pointing forward.

I'd say 400hp and up is when it starts getting difficult for normies.

FOR NORMIES.

FUCKING NORMIES.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BIGGER WHEEL

There's a general set of principles when it comes to high performance vehicles that is true across the spectrum (i.e. same applies for motorcycles, cars, gokarts, etc...) that must be learned. I think once you understand these, it's pretty easy to handle these vehicles in a controlled environment. Noobies don't understand concepts like hard acceleration and hard braking must be done in a straight line. Noobies don't understand to not slam on the brakes mid-corner. And so on

400 to wheels or 400 overall?

Kinda depends on the weight of the car as well, but generally 400 to the crank is "quite a lot".

There's no point in owning a car with more than 100 HP outside of Germany.

So let's say I have a 500HP engine in a pretty light vehicle. I'd need to be already rolling and going in a straight line before I floored it? Otherwise I'd be risking it spinning out on me?

Horsepower by itself is nearly meaningless

Only power/weight and torque/weight ratios are meaningful.

Watch this. youtube.com/watch?v=YdBuwzRAEAw

Depends on tires, gearing, torque curve, weight distribution, etc

Over 400hp here. It's all about paying attention to everything the car is doing. Making quick but not over exaggerating steering inputs when you lose control. When doing burnouts and when you want to stop, you have to remember the wheels are spinning at 40mph while the car is 0-5mph so you have to keep it under control till the tires spin down.

That son of a bitch can drive.

Is it your daily driver?

Yes and he doesn't need 9001 horsepower in a $150000 car

That's barely more than a minivan and no torque to boot. It's a little different when your dealing with the torque buffet that a big 600hp V8 puts out.

>Torque
>Relevant

Ameridumb

treat the throttle like a sponge
make lots of tiny steering and braking adjustments according to weight and grip balance

also knowing your vehicles torque steer characteristics helps so you can counteract it pre emptively
most FF you have to counter steer to the right
FR you counter steer to the left
but this only applies to really old cars

youtu.be/WxzYdCyEZ3E I'm into trucks and would love to have one like this. Would this be difficult to drive for a noob like myself?

Yeah.

The biggest issue would be how low it is. Apart from that, if you don't floor it everywhere it's like driving a regular truck. When you do want to floor it you just have to be aware that there is no weight over the rear wheels so they will spin easily. The weight and size of the truck will probably help keep it stable if you want to do a burnout or drag race but just don't try to drift in one. It can be done but only by someone who doesn't need driving tips off Veeky Forums.

who knows wtf has been done with the suspension or diff
but the stock set up suggests your no in for a good time

So because there isn't a lot of weight in the back it's easier to lose control?

It's all about throttle control. Don't be a retard on the throttle, get to know your cars limits, get to know how your car handles under acceleration. Car has so much HP that full throttle causes you to lose traction? Don't go 100% throttle.

youtube.com/watch?v=b_6gNbQUDRk
they tend to loose the back end more than the cars
and don't spend as much time off the grass

It makes it easier to spin the rear wheels but it can be controlled, particularly if you're going straight. It's just a characteristic you'll need to be aware of when driving. Don't try to accelerate while turning, for example.

wow that is one sad looking frame. like it was found in the ocean

in some way it helps
you loose traction early and slow and at lower speed
really nasty spins involve quickly gaining or loose allot of grip

That was a lot of shit driving.

not just that
the utes are horrendously unstable
they get into situations that cars don't
they crash because of the slightest nudge

So basically as long as I drove it like a normal human being and didn't floor it and accelerate too much on turns I'd be fine?

I'm by no means well informed on the subject, but I'd be weary if you're used to driving an AWD car. I daily AWD car, and the first time I drove someone else's RWD car spiritedly I couldn't believe how often/easy it span up the rear wheels.

Yes. What kind of car are you thinking? Cars built with 400+hp are usually set up to have handling to match.

Honestly I'd like to have a single cab truck with something around 400ish horses. I know some people here might think that's dumb but that's what I like. A 80s or 90s single cab chevy truck.

It's all about judicious use of the power and handling. Something as simple as cold tires or loose gravel can spell a bad day for you.

For every 1 video of a Shelby hopping a curb leaving the car show, there's 100 civics in a ditch elsewhere, simply no one thought to record it.

If only they could drive as well as they shitpost

Your concern for doing a smoky airbag-less roll-over into the woods is certainly valid when we're talking about a high HP pickup.

The thought of how easily you could lose it as you're pressing the throttle is half the fun. It can be done, son.

keep traction control and stability management on

if your car has winter/snow mode keep that on as well even in summer

retards have been crashing RWD cars due to absolute noob errors since they had like 300hp

You'd learn everything you needed know about power management riding a motorcycle, they're just as unforgiving if not more so.

The best way is to go to a big dirt or wet grass field, turn all aids off if it has any, and wring the car out. Especially true for RR and MR cars. Every time you see some dipshit crashing one it's because as soon as things get a little shaky they lift and stab the brakes. You have to have the muscle memory to be able to give the car more gas if you start to lose the rear end, it takes a lot of practice and it's not going to happen on public streets.

Anything more than necessary
So anything above 200 hp for a car

400hp is still manageable with a truck. Just have to be careful in some corners. Limited slip differential is a must if you want to harness all that power.

>So anything above 200 hp for a car
Reminded me what is actually necessary.

I saw an old guy pull out of my street in a naturally aspirated diesel mk4 Golf today, I think they make around 60bhp. It sounded like it was fucking going for a sub 9-second 1/4 mile run but was barely moving 10ft, incredible that shit such as that was available only 10 years ago. I think they do 0-60 in 15 seconds or so.

the problem is that poeple think they can handle the car, and then start to do stupid stuff since they think they're good enough to make if work or not get into trouble at least

>I can totally handle this super sports car
they probably could if they drove it smartly
>proceeds to do something dumb that they think will look cool
>begins losing control
>tries to correct their mistake and look cool in the process
>end up making the situation worse
>OH FUCK
>way too late now
>hops curb
>mows down pedestrians
>crashes car into opposing traffic
>continues to rev engine as if they can still save it.

Basically don't stomp the gas unless you're going straight and know that your tires are clean and the road is clean.
Also don't do burnouts in traffic.

the fuck happened in that webm

I'm sorry my man, but it's 2017 already. I hope you feel old now.

400hp isn't shit when your car weighs 3800lbs.

In my experience too much throttle, specifically in a rwd car is a good way to spin out

Although all my experience in driving rwd cars hard is pretty much only in racing Sims so take what I say with a grain of salt

dood who dailies a 16 year old 320rwhp beast

just treat it with respect and learn the cars limits

Have you ever driven a car before?

people can still take their cars out to the track Hans

also there's a thing called 'speeding'

In terms of going fast, but it makes the whole spinning your wheels thing more severe than it would be in a much lighter car. More weight means more inertia, which results in a greater tendency for the vehicle to stay in one place while the wheels spin fruitlessly.

not that guy but guessing stroke?

These people drive these high horsepower cars on tires that are meant to grip. When they slide they tend to panic and then ease up on the throttle, which causes the rear tires to hook and the car will then lose control. When you watch pros slide around in high horsepower cars, they stay on the power because they need to keep the wheels spinning for traction loss. It's two-part feeling the traction coming and going and finding the balance for what you're trying to do, and having a big set of balls.

all stock cars are useable in everyday situations unless it's a track toy. I have 400hp STI and use it as a DD, if you don't hit throttle like an idiot you will get a decent mileage and won't end up in a ditch

Narcolepsy.

>people who fall asleep randomly without warning are allowed to drive in America

Stock suspension on pretty much any GMT 400 vehicle is terrible for anything but straight roads or general truck stuff.
Since this one is slammed, it's probably absolute shit.

Otherwise, what
said.

I have a 400hp 300zx and whenever it starts to kick out I just let off the throttl slowly and it straightens out.

Would this be possible in a really powerful high displacement car? I once read that a car with over say 6L would have so much engine braking power that letting off the throttle would be like ripping the handbrake

His license got revoked after the incident; it was his first episode.

Narcoleptics and epileptics aren't legally allowed to drive in the US once diagnosed.

You can also use the clutch to take power off the wheels

>mfw

>mfw daily driver has 68hp
>mfw weights much less than a miata
>mfw needs less gas than a prius
>mfw simple NA gas engine

I daily drive a 115 HP E46, but I had no problems when I drove the 600 HP BMW M6 of a friend. I guess with some brain and caution you won't have any problems.

But we are talking about getting the tires to lose traction, so torque is more important in this case.
t. More torque than horsepower

Wheeltorque isn´t related to enginetorque...

Engine torque multiplied by gearing equals wheel torque, so it most definitely fucking is. Stop pretending to be retarded.

You can archive any amount of torque with a gearbox, it doesn´t matter how much torque your engine has, if your first gear is short enough.

And to say the two are completely unrelated is still utter bullshit.

They are completely unrelated since you can basicly have any possible engine torque and any wheeltorque due to different gearx and final drive ratios.
For example: a econobox engine with a short gearbox could put down more torque than a 8L blown V-8 with a long one

is this a fucking mo-ped

No, a econobox with a full siezed spare tire, jack and tire iron under the trunk.
Sadly it maxes out at 110mph (gps tested)

I'd guess its peugeot 107/toyota aygo/citroen c1

i proved to myself that you can be a retard even in a 2 ton 20 foot long SUV at 5 mph

>innaSuburban with near-bald rear tires, 5.3 vortec
>see car cresting hill to my right
>"i can get the jump on him, I'm good"
>drizzling rain
>stomp gas
>barge makes the turn and keeps going, rear end swings 270 degrees around
>stuck facing the oncoming driver who slowed down and is now staring at me like I just tried to kill them
>do the 3-point-turn of shame and drive around the opposite way of the neighborhood just to not run into them again

these are the tires that failed me.

indeed

is this true? have driven high hp cars but never high displacement high hp cars like a ls

what do if i accidentally give it too much throttle? do i slowly back off and catch the slide?

those things go like crazy in first, but the moment you shift in second it's slow as fuck

More than 150 in the EU, more than 300 in the US.

pretty much the same idk what to tell you you just have to be a good driver. My friend and I race v8s in the 350-450 hp range. not that hard if you know how to correct when your wheels spin, how to not understeer flying into corners, dont shift to high in the first couple gears cause your wheels will spin in those high rpms with faster cars

Engine torque is important yes. But so is the rpm as without any rpm torque is worthless.
>if only there was some function of both torque and rpm that we could use to tell how "powerful" a car is?

Oh right. Power

If torque matters so much more than rpm attach a rattle gun to your drive train and use that as your engine.

I drive 650whp regularly and haven't put it in a ditch. It's more about not being a retard than anything else.

It's an sn95, he probably got bored

Crab walk scares me more than wheel spin though high horsepower applications just require knowing your limits as a driver.

>Those tires
>Bald

Nah man you're just shit at driving.

Lol those tires are practically brand new

>thinking "fuel economy" good years would do well in the rain
Top kek user.