Built vs bought

>built vs bought

well Veeky Forums?

Genuinely don't care.

Agree. I see two vehicles in my future: an 818 kit car built from the ground up to my standards, and something like a 5th gen mustang with incredibly basic mods. Tinkering with my crappy old 5.0 now, it gets tiresome to do big stuff and then troubleshoot why things don't quite work right. It's equally nice to have something fast and light and something that just werks.

I prefer buying things and then picking up where the Manufacturer left off.

Take everything i already like about the car and improve upon it in ways the Manufacturer couldn't do due to budget or the technology just not being there at the time of the drawing board.

>thinking you can build a car better than professional engineers

Why are car guys like this

>aftermarket parts are not made by professional engineers

They're both shit.

>building a car to match your retarded taste
>realize what a piece of shit his build has become
>post a ***reluctant*** sales ad
>sell piece of shit
>buy another car
>repeat

where do you think those engineers come from?

>He thinks those professional engineers aren't held back by bean counters
My car could make 400hp with just a map, intake manifold, and exhaust work.
Instead it only makes 380, because I don't have an intake yet.

I am not an expert mechanical/automotive engineer nor do I desire to be so I'd rather pay them to build cars for me.

>engineers don't half ass designing a car

You poor fool

>half ass design
>phurari supercar

pick 1

A bought car at a certain performance level will likely handle and feel better than one that was once weaker but modified upwards simply because the bought car was designed from the ground up to perform at its given level whereas the modified car will always have to deal with some of the inherent design quirks of its intended manufacturing. No matter how much time and money you put into it a souped up 86 will likely never beat some ridiculous supercar simply because the 86 was a cheapo passenger vehicle for A-to-B daily drivers and was designed to do exactly that. Of course you could always start from scratch and make a custom chassis but at that point, anything is game.

tfwiktf

Where do you get your parts from if you're only building, and not buying?

This

yet you have no idea what the lifetime effects of running the car at higher than designed power will have

>he thinks an intake will add 20hp

You need that many mods to hit 400 hp? Lmao

Do you drive a fucking ecoboost or something?

When combined with an ECU remapping and exhaust work that's not an unreasonable statement.

anyone questioning why you could do a better job than engineers doesnt realise engineers are confined to fuel economy regs, environmental regs, the car has to look good, be comfy, be reliable etc. a built car ignoring all of this can obviously outperform a sports car.

If your hobby is playing with cars because you get enjoyment from spannering, fabricating, and building stuff I'm all for it.

If you're not interested in getting your hands dirty and just want to buy a fast car, I'm more than happy for anyone to do that.

If you believe you are better than the oem engineers then you're a fucking idiot. They may have to work within a budget, but that budget will be 100s of times anything anyone in the aftermarket spends on design or development.

>built vs bought discussion
>turns into bench racing ECU chips

yep

This is why I like 90's era japanese cars, best of both worlds.

>240sx brakes not holding up for track duty? drop in a set of 4 piston calipers and rotors from a 300zx
>want 300hp in your subaru shitbox? drop in a STI drive train.

Big performance gains with oem reliability and parts availability is the way to go friendo