Hey /o?, I need advice. I think I'm going to sell my 1961 porsche 356B that I inherited, because I don't drive it...

Hey /o?, I need advice. I think I'm going to sell my 1961 porsche 356B that I inherited, because I don't drive it, I don't have the money to fix it, and I don't want to be like those boomers that just hoard shit til it rots.

My particular car, although it runs and drives and has no rust, has some bondo on the front end and appears as though it's been in a collision in the past. It also has shitty orange peel in the paint, and the interior needs redoing. All this, I could live with while driving it, but it burns a quart of oil every hundred miles and needs a rebuild, which I can't afford.

If anyone here knows the market, what do you think it should go for? I don't know how accurate hagerty is, but they say $34,000 for a fair condition example, and I already had someone offer me $35,000, but no more. Should I take that offer? Am I making a bad decision selling it at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pL8qG-51XH8
rennlist.com/forums/356-forum-63/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it a replica or the real deal? If it's legit it would still be worth restoring is properly because mint condition examples go for hundreds of thousands of dollars

If you are in love with the car, sell it. Classic Porsche's are money pits so cash out and use the funds elsewhere

*arent

It's real. It's a 1961 T5 though, the in-between body style with drum brakes, but it is a 1600 super. I know enough to know that the 1960-61 are the least desirable of all the 356s, and mint ones go for 60-70k, if that.
I looked into trying to get it to driver level with a refresh, but everything costs so much and I'd be underwater since it isn't an A or a C. I'm pretty sure you're right but I'm worried about regretting it in the future.

The engines in these are pretty basic iirc, so if you have the room (and time) you could probably rebuild it yourself. That'd bump the value up quite a bit, I guess.

Even if it's a B, it'll still only go up in value over time

If you have the garage space fix it up slowly over time whenever your budget allows
It's not like it's a complicated car, that engine is just an old air cooled flat 4. If you ever worked on old Beetles you'll be right at home here

I'm damn sure they are worth more than 35 grand.

Especially for a B.

Honestly man, if i were you i'd keep and cherish it. If it was inherited, then i assume it's been past atleast 2 other family members before you. That's gotta add value

My grandfather bought it with his severance check when he was laid off from Western Union in the 80s. He gave it to me on my 18th birthday, and has been pressuring me to sell it ever since then. For the past five years I've been telling him I want to keep it, but I don't have the money to make it nice again and I can't drive it so it just sits in my garage. That's why I'm reconsidering it now.

hang on to it and work on it when you have the time, if you think you'll regret selling it you probably will.

Keep it feggit and rebuild it when you can afford it. These things in great condition can be worth serious cash, and they'll only get more and more expensive in the future

Take it to some Porsche meets, I'm sure there will be plenty of people there who will be willing to help you out, or try to take it off your hands

Don't put it on fucking Craigslist

>grandpa gave you the car
>grandpa wants you to sell the car
What the fuck?

If you cannot store it, sell it but study Hemmings Motor News etc to get top dollar. Hold out for the money, and remember those cars are desirable as rich guy art but by modern standards they are mechanical junk with no redeeming qualities.

You should hoard it if you have garage space. It won't rot in a garage and restoring it isn't your problem.

It's perfectly alright to sit on it. People don't buy them to drive, they buy them as garage ornaments and to trailer to shows. They will never not be desirable so why not?

Alright you faggots convinced me. This is the right decision - thanks. It's strange though because my family keeps telling me to get rid of it. They almost had me sell it in 2011 for 20k but I decided against it then too.
I don't get it either.

>They almost had me sell it in 2011 for 20k but I decided against it then too.
They just think it's an old Porsche, but it's a classic car regardless of brand and a well known one too
And the fact that you decided against selling the car 6 years ago means deep down you don't want to get rid of it

You'll enjoy the experience, or I'll eat my hat

So whats wrong with it?

but by modern standards they are mechanical junk with no redeeming qualities.

Time to swap in a modern boxster. ;^)

>not an LS
youtube.com/watch?v=pL8qG-51XH8

>LS meme

Why not cram a 427 Cobra jet in it.

>20k
that's so low it's retarded.

>It's strange though because my family keeps telling me to get rid of it.
if your folks are anything like mine, they hate seeing stuff laying around, even if it's valuable/utilitarian. I think it's due to the experience of clearing out dozens of extensive family estates, which is understandable since sorting through mounds of shit blows. It still gets on my nerves though, they throw tons of useful stuff out and always pester me to get rid of things.

13B that shit :^)

I'm assuming because LS kits are common?

>put a R26B in it.

>throw a VAZ-311 in there, comrade

Definitely rebuild the engine first so you can actually drive it and enjoy it. Make sure the tires and other important bits are in good shape so you don't get Paul Walker'd and then just slowly fix it up as you can afford the time and money to do so. I'd save paint for last, but that's just me.

If you're going to sell it sell it now, the market is peaking and there will be a correction back to normal when the economy slows down again

Assuming this is not a trollpost, do not sell. Either slowly restore it as you get funds, or store it nicely keep up storage maintenance and restore it when you have enough money. And if you end up not wanting to restore it you can always sell it later because prices are going up, up, up. Don't fall for the "I hate how people store cars and never drive them like i would because i am le automotive gentleman" meme that poorfags spout, you would be a fool to part with a cash cow because of this meme. Whether you decide to restore it or sell it you are going to make out better if you keep it for a while. Just store it properly and you will not regret it.

Even if it slows down a little, in 20, 30 years this will be worth a LOT. This is the equivalent to guys who sold AC cobras when they were relatively cheap. These cars are like gold, they may go down temporarily with the economy but n the long run they appreciate a ton.

>market is peaking
>chart shows several plateaus with a small dip right after each increase
I'm disregarding the concours values because there is obviously a much smaller sample size with those.

You will regret selling this car for the rest of your life.

>t. Sold my 85 911 because it was "too expensive" and now it's worth like twice what I paid for it.

>This is the equivalent to guys who sold AC cobras when they were relatively cheap.
No, it's not. 80k 356s were made, less than 1k Cobras were made. The Cobra was a very unique car for it's time with an extremely rich motorsports history. 356s Speedsters are somewhat historically interesting but plain jane coupes are very pedestrian for a collector car, and most importantly not that fun to drive. When speculators drop out and the market loses confidence the cars that can withstand it are the ones that are truly enjoyable to own and drive, not to sit on and hope they go up in value as many people in this thread are suggesting is a good idea.

OP, i still haven't heard. whats wrong with it?

Does it not start? does it run rough? does it sputter? do the brakes not work? does the transmission not shift?

Why is everyone so fucking terrible at reading
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>it burns a quart of oil every hundred miles and needs a rebuild, which I can't afford.

i read that and completely forgot about it...

I guess that means i should go to bed.

sell it in this state would be economically the worst way.

you can either take out a loan, rebuild engine, make it drivable, sell it, pay back the loan for the repairs.
or just hold it in this state, beware from rost, seal the car with old oil.
I'm often sad, that the people without passion inhere such cars, which they only see as money. Other would kill to have such cars

This tells us nothing, baka. It could be any number of things, from worn cylinders to valve stem seals. Op could be looking at a very cheap repair or a very expensive one. Ideally, he buys an old beetle and learns how to get good. I'm not holding out hope though. Tbh he sounds like a total normie where cars are concerned.

Well, I don't know what it is. I get huge clouds of oil smoke on acceleration, and it has 80k miles or so, so it probably needs rings at least. There is no smoke on startup after sitting, so I don't think it's valve stem seals. It drips from the pushrod tube seals and leaks a ton but that's not a big deal and I can fix that. I have done a lot of work on my other cars replacing parts, and I have even swapped an old Volvo from auto to manual, but I have never rebuilt an engine and I'm not sure where to start to avoid fucking it up. I don't think I'm a car normie but I'm not a machinist that's for sure.

There aren't many better places to start learning about rebuilding engines than an old air-cooled flat-4.
You got this.

Thanks. I'm sure there's a book I can find to help me, considering how popular and relatively common these cars are.

This was originally my plan, and I already went through and replaced the wheel cylinders and had the drums turned; so the brakes are safe now. I just got discouraged by the engine work, because my family was telling me it'd be expensive. But if I can just drop the engine myself and figure it out, I will be able to keep costs down. I just got a new job too, so I'll start having a bit more cash to spend on it.

I care more about mechanical soundness than cosmetics, which is a good thing considering how scruffy the car is. That said, one day I would like to see it in its original silver rather than the red it has been repainted in.

>I'm sure there's a book I can find to help me

There is actually, I wish I could remember the name of it.

Anyway go on Rennlist and tell them your story

They'll love it and will help you out with anything.

rennlist.com/forums/356-forum-63/

Is it secrets of the inner circle by Pellow?

ah yes that's it!

Its on amazon for a low price of $374 and thats the price for the used ones.

Jesus. It looks like there's a guy on ebay selling copies in a 3 ring binder for 60 bucks. Probably going to go with that.

If the red is just single-stage (no clearcoat) then you might be able to wet-sand and polish the orange peel out.

Put a big spoiler on it.

(You)

disregard what your family says
what ever you sell it for it would always cost more to buy the same one again
that is if you can even find one