What does Veeky Forums of the acura rsx?

What does Veeky Forums of the acura rsx?

I'm planning to buy my first car and i would like it to be a coupe.

The specific one i'm talking about is an 2003 model with only 160000kms on it (im in toronto) and this is literally perfect, i just need it to last 3-4 yrs for college

Get type s, what is budget?

It's a great car.

max im willing to spend is 3k, and thats if im really giggity about it.

Also type S? there a type S rsx?

The only type S around me are the manual, i cant drive manual

I used an automatic RSX throughout college which was handed down to me from my brother. Really great car.

Thats amazing to hear.

I considered Prelude, Accord coupe (Scrapped Accord idea because 03-05 models had transmission problems with their v6), considered a Civic SI, but theres a lot of those where i live so it feels too basic, plus those wont have leather interior or sunroof which is a must have for me. I'm gonna baby this car hard

The Type S makes a little more power and only comes in manual. Bench racing retards on here will act like that some how makes the base any less of a good car. If you want a nice looking, reliable, economical, light, great handling car with the utility of a hatch, there's nothing better.

I had a base-model 2005 (manual) which I lightly modded and raced / drove hard. I can answer many questions about them. They're great cars.

Just don't expect VTEC, as only the type-S gets real vtec (the non -S models got the K20a3 engine with "economy" vtec that has nothing to do with "real" vtec).

Do itttt
>Pls ignore tiny rock dents on hood

Get a manual faggot, I drove a Boxster for a year around Toronto just fine

Another friend of mine who posts here drives a Mustang to Toronto every day and that thing has a clutch like a tractor, and he's skellington

I didn't know you lived in Alabama. I do too. (I'm the guy with the black 06)

I can't drive manual for shit

Neither could I until I decided to stop being a little bitch

Real talk though if you want help you can always join our Ontario Whatsapp group

Nice car - the '05-'06 restyle is beautiful. And yeah, I'm here in Montgomery, but possibly moving to Bham for a job. A lot of rural parts of 'bama have AMAZING driving roads.

>first car and i would like it to be a coupe
looks like someone isnt paying for their own insurance (or you have the money)

want to buy a Honda product? Buy it in manual, the best part about them

>looks like someone isnt paying for their own insurance (or you have the money)

I'm paying for my own insurance user

>payin 4 hundos on a 16 year old crv in the gta

I want a coupe too

good luck then, did you get a quote?

You must have a few tickets?

Cool. My parents live in Montgomery.

You're right about the roads. There's some great ones for sure. I live like 20 minutes away from Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama, and it's got some pretty fun and very well maintained roads with some scenic overlooks and stuff. Better yet there's practically no traffic.

RIP in peace your wallet

nope, advantages of livin in cucktario.
Its being 18-24 and male that gives you shit rates

>mfw its only liability too

I do, just up in Veeky Forumsttawa

Dont go with state farm btw, they rape your wallet for fun cars

I actually don't think its gonna cost 400, maybe 160, but not more than 180 or 200. im actually gonna go check right now.

This makes me want a CRV.

God, those are beautiful.

$140 for a 5 door hatch bud, thats with a bunch of deductions too

I am looking for a stock civic si rn, quoted at $360

>under 25

I used to live in Oxford lol! That was back when I had an 06 STi. I had so much fun on that mountain.

The Type-S was manual-only.

The base auto RSX was mostly bought by girls (e.g. my wife), but it's decent enough, genuinely entertaining to drive, and will last a long time. The liftback is great - tons of cargo space. The automatic was one of the better ones for the time.

Downsides are poor headroom in the back seat, tight engine bay, the car's not hard to spin in aggressive driving, the stereo sucks, and safety is iffy. It had one of the highest driver death rates in one of the IIHS's reports. Probably because it didn't have stability control but you might not be in the right budget range for that.

The insurance won't be bad. It's a front wheel drive sub 200hp compact with safety features like abs and side airbags and what not. I have Geico, have 2 tickets, am 23, and pay about $116 per month for full coverage.

wouldn't mind keeping it if it was a manual, 4 speed autos suck.

Great visibility tho, its like driving in a aquarium.

Whos the provider? You in the Toronto area?

Insurance doesn't care, its Age + Gender + "Coupe" triple threat for you to take them to lunch atleast imo

Wow, that's crazy. I bet I've seen you before. Lol. Was your STi blue and did you go to JSU? I've only ever seen one of those around here in that body style.

>teenager
>male
>in Toronto
>insuring an RSX as a primary
$300 per month is considered really good for you

>Geico
Silly American, insurance rates in the greater Toronto area are the highest in North America, especially for young males driving Honda coupes

Is Canada insurance really this retarded? It's a 14 year old 4 banger.

Nah, just Toronto and the areas surrounding it. Tons of insurance fraud and theft, especially surrounding older Hondas

>Whos the provider?
state farm, they also dont know i have tickets, i should be like $220

Veeky Forumsttawa and its 3rd world roads

yep, if youre a guy and under 25 its better to take the bus

I adore it, tons of modification potential

Well, it was a while ago, I lived there '08-'10. Harley-Davidson had their durability test site at the Talladega Speedway and I had an internship there.

I see. This was probably 3-4 years ago.

Funny you mention Harley testing at Dega, because my dad used to be a tester there, but that was probably more than 15 years ago. He quit after he had a nearly fatal wreck, not at work mind you, and once he finally recovered riding bikes became physically painful to the point it was unbearable. Pretty sad.

Pic related is my Nissan shitbox currently experiencing electrical issues. I need to just get rid of it.

what is that?

hopes and dreams shattered

I got back from Allstate, to be the primary driver of any car (2door or 4door) will cost 4-6k a year.

I can't put my dad for example as the primary driver and me the occasional, 1 primary driver for each car, so im thinking of going to another insurance company and have them place my dad as the primary driver and me the occasional.

I got quotes for the RSX that i wanted, a 04 TL type S and its all the same thing. I can't be the primary driver.

thoughts?

check out belairdirect, Ive heard they have good rates for young people

You could consider the Celica GT in automatic for a comparable car. Lighter by fucking 200lbs, better handling, better fuel economy and looks better imo.

I definitely will, thanks user.

Buy a $3k civic (well $5k cause CAN), will last for how long you need, and you can swap Si parts for handling

A Nissan NX-2000. They're breddy gud and unique but I'd imagine that it would be a nightmare to maintain on a low budget because both parts and information aren't easy to find.

A Civic is even more ludicrous on insurance, plus it doesnt have leather interior and sunroof.

leather is a must for me

told you, nothing you can do other then ask to be put on your parents policy. Downside being if you or they get a ticket your both screwed.

Just buy a cheap car and use the rest of cash for insurance.

Lel that is a cheap car in the GTA for someone like him, anything cheaper will be a literal rust bucket

the chassis is noodles sadly and the NA sr20 is impossible to get oem parts for

cool, looks like an mx-3 and a Mr2 had a baby

>a little bit more
Wrong

This. Hondas manual gearboxes are the second best in the worlds after Porsche. Yet their autos suck. Don't get the base model op

Pic related is my integra type s. Best daily I've ever had

Wow it's like a mini 300zx but with even more disadvantages and none of the advantages

Right

I'm thinking, because i told the agent IF I buy the car, but what if my dad (whose got a clean record) treats himself for a the car and makes me the occasional driver, but he told me that 1 primary driver for 1 car, so we're gonna see. if i end up as the occasional driver i'd be paying 160 around that area, currently paying my dad a hundred for an occasional driver on a mazda 6

I own a Prelude and my buddy has an RSX. The biggest difference is really that the RSX-S is the spiritual successor of the Integra and built on the Civic chassis, while the Prelude is slightly older and built on the previous generation Accord chassis. This means that the RSX-S K20 revs a little higher than the H22, while the H22 has a bit more torque. This also means that the Prelude is a little heavier (~200 lbs or so I believe) but is also much nicer to daily drive. Speed between the two is surprisingly similar. Me and my friend play around a lot, and generally it comes down to who the better driver was. If we both get on it in the right gear at the same time we stay side by side. Around corners however you do feel the extra weight of the Prelude a little, and the Acura is a little more tossable around super tight corners like an autocross track. Without driving them back to back however, I'm not convinced it is something you would even notice.

(Cont)
As for daily driver duty it has leather heated seats, leather padding extensively used throughout the interior and soft touch plastics almost everywhere else. Remember, the Prelude was the top Honda at the time it was built right behind the S2000, and it was actually almost the same price so it has damn near the same attention to detail and material quality of a top end Acura of the time. See previous picture for this, although I'm not a fan of the tan leather I don't have a picture of mine handy. The suspension is a little softer while still being sporty in the Prelude, and the RSX-S beats you up a little more on rough roads like my city. Both cars suck down 91, and lots of it. Expect ~19-25 mpg city in either if you like getting on the gas. As for cargo room, the Prelude doesn't have the liftback of the RSX which sucks, but both rear seats fold down and I have no problem fitting 4 wheels when I need to go to an event, or all the range gear for both me and my friend while having him sit in the passenger seat. As for working on your car, the Prelude has the benefit of a really long nose, which means for a transverse engine you have TONS of room on either side to do whatever necessary. Also, being a generation older there is less electronic bullshit and more exposed metal and aluminum so it looks better imo. Pic related.

Why do you even need a car if your in Toronto. Also good luck trying to get sub -300 a month for any first car in Ontario

I should add since you mentioned it that both the RSX and Prelude have a sunroof. Also, don't gen an auto for either car. As others have said Honda automatics are unreliable sluggish garbage while their manuals are 1st class and make the car feel 10x it's price while driving hard. Since this reminded me, the pedal placement in the Prelude is better for heel-toe downshifts while the RSX's pedals are placed father apart for easier dailying, especially with winter boots up here in Canada. Neither car is hard to heel-toe in, and neither is hard to use boots in, these are small differences. Other thing that occured to me is that in your budget a Prelude is more likely to find than a type S. Because the RSX-S is both newer and has a lower trim model to differerentiate from, the type S models have a fairly aggressive Honda tax. The Prelude however is a little underappreciated and any model you buy will have the amazing H22 instead of the 160hp cuck i4 in the base RSX. I've both driven and wrenched on both cars extensively, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

The rsx is literally an integra.

They rebadged the dc5 in the states as an Acura so they can sell it for more

You're right, my American kicked in. Should have specified the successor to the 94-01 Integra, since they were still using that name plate in other countries.

There's no getting around the 1 primary rule, you have to be primary. Maybe having the car ownership under your dad might make it cheaper?

>crv guy here
All the preludes I've seen on kijiji don't have the original engines or have but they're 240km for 4k

any suggestions on good coupes for 10k CAD relative low km? in the states I could get a 9th gen civic coupe. Here its a base or a genesis if I want a turbo.

I don't know where you're looking but I bought mine with 160k kilometers with no rust for 3.5k a year and a half ago. Preludes aren't super common, and the ones that stay on Kijiji for a long time are the piles of shit that you saw. Keep an eye open and within a couple weeks you should have found one in a nice colour and in good condition. They just sell fairly quickly.

I just set it GTA, manual, coupe, honda, 5k-11k and sort by highest price.

Damn nice, not worth the hassle for me to sell the crv just to get another old honda around the same km's.

Hows the insurance on it?
Been stuck deciding on 250cc moto or just save up for a newer coupe.

if you manage to find an RSX for less than 3000 canadian dollarinos it's going to be broken in so many ways

I just did the same for the first time in a while and damn, I guess the prices must have hiked. Last year our dollar wasn't quite as shit, and sporty cars are cheaper during the winter and fall anyway. Looking at what's avaliable now, OP is probably better off just waiting for spring to be over for prices to normalize on both the Prelude and RSX. 4-5k for 250k+ km is just bullshit, nobody should pay that.

>actually living in Toronto

2k type S nigger posting here. This car is super fun, totally worth the money even if it's a bitch to work on(alignment, engine, electrical, etc). My k20 doesn't burn too much oil either.

>There's no getting around the 1 primary rule, you have to be primary. Maybe having the car ownership under your dad might make it cheaper?

That can't be user, say your 50 yrs old and you're already a primary driver for your car, what if you decide to buy an RSX and also want to drive that, lots of people have more than one cars and their primary drivers for multiple cars.

Either way, no matter what car we'll get, insurance is going to cost 5.-6k weather it has 2 doors or 4.

My sisters boss found her a car at an auction for 500 bucks, their gonna fix it a little and hopefully buy it for 1.3k max (01 corrolla 170k) and thats still going to cost 5-6k for insurance

The only way doing this if we get both our parents to be primary drivers for our cars and we stay the occasional

if you got that car for 2k you should be in jail for robbery

thats a fucking steal

Buy a crashed one and put the engine into something that isn't an accord with a spoiler.
(aka something that isnt fwd)

kill yourself no car faggot

2271.30 was the price after cuck tax. Albiet it does have 285k on it. Still runs amazing though. Little bit of rust on the edges and leather on the driver's seat is ripped.

nigga what

how long is that going to last you? a few months?

theres a turboed daily with even more than that on the NSX prime

Nigga I can keep it running forever

You're correct on all points.
>Noodles
Absolutely not. Who tf told you that? This little guy was known for his incredible handling. Critics compared it to Lotus. It's stiff as hell, weighs 2400lbs, and is powered by an Sr20. It's very fun. You know it's the b13 chassis, right?
Not really. It's simpler than a Z and easier to work on, it's just difficult to find parts since they only made a few thousand a year for 3 years. It's the quickest and best handling of its type in its time.

Had a base type for 5 years.
Beautiful car, handled great but make sure you change the tires every year or 2 because she doesn't handle rain really well.

Also deff get the type S they have a much better engine and the MPG really isn't that much different anyway.

They are prone to O2 censors going bad a lot, also replacing head lights are PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS. You have to take off the bumper just to reach the assembly.

You can reach the headlight assy from the wheel well liner, it's a little tight but reachable.

I think there's a little more space in the 05-06, or it may have been because I have slender hands, but I could get to them just popping the hood and reaching down in there. It was hard as fuck and took me like 25 minutes, but I got them switched out.

>wrong
Unless you mean it makes a lot more power, then it does idiot

He obviously meant that it wasn't a small amount you autist. Which is more likely, that or him trying saying it has less? Kys you stupid fuck.

Well you're going to learn you little faggot! This is the best car to learn stick on. You'll love it considering how much you love holding dicks

I have one

It has a multilink suspension. Pure jdm

>k20a1 black top
>150hp
>7000rpm
>plastic manifold

>k20z1 silver top
>201hp
>8100rpm
>alloy manifold, ported and polished heads, aggressive I-vtec

That's not just a little bit more power senpai

Great car. GF has had one since it was brand new. Type S is the best. Never had an issue, just basic maintenance. The interior is still in like new shape.

06' Type-S owner here.

Car is the best daily I've had access to. Reliable, fuel efficient, part cost is reasonable.

I've had the Clutch Master Cyllinder and the Throwout Bearing replaced. I suspect abuse from previous owners
122k on the clock now.

Also the seats rip in the center, I've seen that on more than half of the ones I looked at.

Anyone else have common problems to speak of?

Enjoy it. I have heard they will go forever.

I've been told to use synchromesh to counteract the synchro problems in k20 trannies. Ive just been using normal Acura manual transmission fluid.

My mom was among the first buyers of the RSX in summer 2001 and has had it ever since so I always consider it a chick car.

The problem is caused by driver skipping gears the synchros dont like it and will cause increased wear. That is straight from acura. Never had an issue with mine have had it since 05 now has 130kmiles and only use honda transmission fluid.
Replaced clutch and slave cylinder O ring at 80k

'merican built honda. nothing wow or fantasic about them still a honda just assembled somewhere other than japan like scion and toyota

Not sure why people don't double clutch when skipping gears if they must skip gears at all.

Can confirm that Syncromesh is excellent though.

They are assembled in japan then rebadged for 'merica
First 3 characters of VIN tell country of assembly
1HG= in america
JH4=in japan

Is there any known difference in reliability or issues based on manufacturing location for these?

Not that i know of. As far as i know all acura are still from japan & all honda since 2000 are built in USA

I mean honda's made to be sold in U.S. Market anyways

> say your 50 yrs old and you're already a primary driver for your car, what if you decide to buy an RSX and also want to drive that, lots of people have more than one cars and their primary drivers for multiple cars.

Insurance isn't stupid, they see 3 cars 4 drivers they know your going to be driving it. They are going to want one of you as primary on it.

You can literally google: "can i be primary driver on 2 cars in ontario" and see results of people trying to do the same thing as you.

My friend drives a Honda Integra DC5

It's a nice looking car for sure but because the version he has isn't turbo, it's not very fast. But there's not much he can do about that.

No.

We'll try,

My sister is buying a 01 corrola and we're going to see if one of our parents will be the primary driver for her car

What's the other option other than this?

If they so we can try and go to another insurance company and see if they'd put 2 primary drivers for 2 cars

And if not then we bend over and get railed for owning a car and being under 25 yrs old

Also, realistically how long would the car last if i buy it at 190-220ish kms? If I really take care of it would it last 3-4 yrs?