/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Please continue to work hard edition

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Ghost Blade HD
store.steampowered.com/app/577910/

Zangeki Warp
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59703
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

actual last thread

Casper is the best Deathsmiles girl, by far.

Decently comfy. Will fall asleep soon.

3rd for tuna sashimi

Talk about something, stay alive, I'm going to sleep

someone give me a rundown of refrain

everyone i've seen play it has said it is fun but easy unless played on the hardest difficulty

good night shmupg try not to die

Shumps

What are you practicing?

Inserting additional credits

Still trying to decide if I want to go for 1cc Danmaku Unlimited 2, Blue Revolver or eXceed 3rd.

>Still trying to decide if I want to go for 1cc Danmaku Unlimited 2, Blue Revolver or eXceed 3rd.

What's to decide? start with any as you could achieve all 3 in a week.

shoot the core

>hipsters and waifufags
kys stgays

vulkaiser with drill only and trying to figure out scoring in battle traverse, both on normal, so shouldn't take a lot of time. probably will do all-star no-miss in satazius afterwards on normal.

You're gonna get that clear, user

no, i'm shit

Comfy mode disengaged. Time to return to the uncomfy world of being anywhere but in my bed.

How are you doing, /shmupg/? Lively as ever, I see.

I havn't been able to sleep properly in a while and because of that I havn't been able o shmup properly.

Is this what it feels like to be impotent?

Return shot mode actually makes Alltynex 2nd stages not that dull

bump

shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59703

>doj greatest shmup of all time
rly makes me think

is mao mao a man?

>Darius Burst is shit

fucking lmao at the characters sprites, looks like something from 95, can you at least blur them?

I hope this will make more people play it

sprites from 95 would look better than this to be desu with you

I like how desusniffers looks. Well except for arcade mode, that looks like crap compared to normal.

I don't have a screenshot of it but there is some sort of smoothness filter you can use, so I assume you can.

Sprites aren't great but I guess they're passable. Environments and background look good at least.

yeah, this is gbc level sprites

>Darius Burst is shit
i mean it ranked

Maybe not so soon unfortunately. At best I have maybe an hour every other day to play shmups for the next 4-5 months. So whatever I pick is going to be "it" for quite some time. I am not interested in scoring in any of them and will pick a game for that after I am free to dedicate more time to it later in the year. For now I just want to decide which of those 3 to slowly work on clearing.

What is CAVE's magnum opus?

their VR game

Is this for real? I've looked the video up and can't tell if it's a joke

Selling piss bottles of underage girls.

What's their best vertical scrolling bullet hell shoot 'em up game?

futari ofc

Anything but Ketsui is pretty much trash.
Honestly, cave is so fucking overrated by all the animu tards.

this

Tough call. A lot of people would say DOJ, Mushi Futari, or Ketsui.

All their stuff is so far ahead of everyone else that it's hard to say. Even their worst game is 100x better than anything by say Psikyo, MOSS, Treasure, Raizing, or Taito.

Cave is only so popular because they appeal to otakus with no life.

They are the equivalent of Kyo Ani animes. Only popular because they appeal to waifu drooling no-lives.

shit opinion
Ketsui is great but there's no reason it would be their only good game, expacially when it shares tons of similarities with games like Esprade or DOJ

also the animu argument is invalid and dad-tier at best. 99.9 % of shmup production is 'animu'

>99.9 % of shmup production is 'animu'
Yea sure, look at the waifus in Gradius and R-Type!

>also the animu argument is invalid and dad-tier
it's a really weird one that seems to come from extremely self conscious and insecure otakus and dads that care if their """""""friends"""""" see them playing games with japanese art styles . cave in particular is pretty low-tier on the waifu stuff. take mushi for example, there is what a random shot of reco the main character on screen for a few seconds between each stage. further more, why would anyone be surprised that japanese games use japanese art style? it's not like they're going to throw western art in there for no reason.

>it's not like they're going to throw western art in there for no reason
Cheap otaku pandering waifu or fujoshi "art" is not the only kind of japanese art, you know.
Japan has all kinds of art styles, but Cave panders to the lowest denominator, that's why they are so popular.

And it's not just the waifus or gays in their games, it's the whole picture. Their whole design is not that great. Games like Battle Garegga, Strikers 3, or Under Defeat have way better art styles. Not fucking dinosaur boss enemies, throwing marshmallows around LMAO.

>throwing marshmallows
this is one of the things that makes their games so much better than all the games you named, especially garegga.

Japanese don't necessarily like anime. If you mention liking anime in the wrong Japanese crowd you'll be called an otaku, unkindly. They're more accepting of being neutral about it though.

>Games like Battle Garegga, Strikers 3, or Under Defeat have way better art styles
If you think grey and brown makes for good art then maybe

t. pillow hugging faggot whos favorite color is pink

>my tastes goofy cartoonish bullets that stick out like a sore thumb are superior to yours

Cave bullets are fucking retarded.
>pink marshmallows
>giant sprites with tiny hitboxes
>covering the whole screen
It's dumb game design. The game just looks ugly if the whole screen is just full of bullets, especially when they are so ugly as cave bullets. It's like an edgy high schooler designed this shit.

>It's like an edgy high schooler designed this shit.
yeah this is exactly how strikers, garegga, etc look. all brown and green boring an drab. extremely poorly designed. it's like they took an art book from a hot topic shelf.

>maximizing bullet visibility in a shmup is dumb game design
wew lad

They should be the speed of and have the visibility of real bullets.

>if the game isn't garish and flashy including all of the rainbow colors for my supreme fag tastes, it means it only has 2 colors
What you are talking about is actual color themes. cave doesn't have stuff like this. They just throw as many colors as possible in their games.

My one beef with Esprade is the lack of full auto.

The actual hitbox in cave games is always completely different than their sprites. They have shit bullet visibility.

i mean if you like hot topic dude it's ok to buy your clothes there

Yes since the sprites are bigger than the hitboxes you're allowed more room for error and they can make each individual bullet more visible without increasing the difficulty, it's fantastic design. A more extreme version of something that's done in every single well made game under the sun, which fits perfectly because the gameplay itself depends more on positioning and quickly reading cluttered visuals.

Cave don't have clear colour themes? lmao you're a fucking retard aren't you bud

All it does is just cluttering the screen and hiding their ugly backgrounds.
You often can't be sure if you actually can make a dodge, because you always have to guess were the actual hitbox is.

It's dumb game design merely there to impress dumbfucks by making the game more flashy.

>You often can't be sure if you actually can make a dodge, because you always have to guess were the actual hitbox is.
Unless you're playing mushi ultra you can just dodge the bullets not the hitboxes you dummy

And when you are not dodging a sprite a correctly, you think you fucked up, although you actually didn't, making you colliding with a hitbox in the first place.

When you think you are about to collide with a bullet, then you quickly try to get away from it. This often make you run into other bullets then.

>And when you are not dodging a sprite a correctly, you think you fucked up, although you actually didn't, making you colliding with a hitbox in the first place.
As opposed to just getting hit and dying either way in the case of 1:1 ratio? What a dumb argument.

/shmupg/ - art design and eye tricks.

>danmaku trash filling the top ten
Cretins.

Better than gossip and waifu posting

No, as opposed to having bullets with a regular size actually, and not huge marshmallows covering the screen.

In Strikers for example you always know exactly if you can make a dodge or not. In Cave games it often looks as if you actually should have died, which can completely fuck with your playstyle, making you use bombs when you actually don't need them, etc

Works for me, this time. Even I've nearly gotten tired of having to bump the thread so much these past couple of days.

>IMAO ur taste is so fucking bad fucking kek LOL
>better than anything

>In Strikers for example you always know exactly if you can make a dodge or not.
That's false though, the hitbox is still smaller there, and your ship hitbox is too. There are still plenty of moments in it where a bullet flew right past my sprite despite me thinking I was gonna get hit. Not to mention it's a game with faster, less dense and retarded patterns so it can get away with worse visibility.

Of course the ship hitbox is smaller, but the bullets are actually pretty accurate.

I am also not saying that hitboxes should be exactly the same size as the sprite, that would be just stupid, but Cave just makes their sprites tooo huge.

Only in ketsui

Also, if a sprite is huger does not mean the hitbox has better visibility.
If your ship sprite is massive, but the hitbox is just a pixel, it makes it much harder to see where you actually are without constantly looking exactly at the hitbox.
And that's exactly how cave games are. they have MASSIVE sprites, with tiny little hitboxes, which is just retarded.

Every fucking cave game has HUGE ship sprites (also including their options of course) and tiny pixel hitboxes.

>Also, if a sprite is huger does not mean the hitbox has better visibility.
No, but it does mean the bullets as an object have a better visibility which is what matters outside of the hardest parts of their hardest games. This only ever becomes a problem when you are forced to dodge bullet hitboxes without having any information about where their hitbox is, or knowing where your sprite is, and can be fixed by making the colouring of the bullets give away their hitbox while preserving all the benefits of having big bullet sprites of which there are many.

>it does mean the bullets as an object have a better visibility
No, it does mean the bullets just get covered by their sprites. This makes it often impossible to know how much room you actually have without knowing exactly where every hitbox of every bullet type actually is.

It's the same retarded shit as in fighting games, where you think you actually have a safe distance, although the hitbox of your enemy is much bigger than it looks, just the other way around.

Thought we were talking about bullets? Not showing the ship hitbox in games like that is always stupid.

I was talking about cave in general. And their ship hitbox philosophy reflects their bullet hitboxes.
The ship hitboxes are just as retarded. Huge sprites, with a pixel hitbox. It's not making anything more visible, it only makes it harder to know where you actually are. The same goes for the bullets. it only makes it harder to know where the actually hitboxes are.

The fact that it's the other way around is exactly what makes it ok because you can just dodge the sprites instead of the hitboxes. Complaining about patterns not being balanced around dodging the sprites themselves is a completely seperate issue which I also don't like but antagonizing big bullets with small hitboxes in a blanket way is fuckin silly especially since you will then go on to defend games that do the exact same thing except to slightly a lesser extent

>Huge sprites
they're really not abnormally large

>It's not making anything more visible
It is making both the player object and the bullet objects more visible which is information you can use to dodge reliably in most cases. Do you have even the slightest idea of what the games would be like if the sprites were as small as the hitboxes?

>you can just dodge the sprites instead of the hitboxes
That's not how these games were designed. The patterns are so dense that you must know the actual hitboxes.
If for example a blanket of bullets come at you, and it actually looks like you can't dodge through them, then this is not helping you by making the blanket more visible. It only fucks your run over, because you try to dodge the shit otherwise, by hiding in a corner or whatever, making you die in the first place, when you actually easily could have passed between the bullets. But there is no way to know this, since you don't know the actual hitbox of the bullets.

Of course they are. cave sprites are disgustingly huge and out of proportion to their hitboxes.

>That's not how these games were designed
It is until they went full retard with micrododging in games like Mushi Futari. Also even then they have big enough gaps in them to show you that you can pass through them, you're talking shit.

>It is making both the player object and the bullet objects more visible
LMFAO. The ship hitboxes in cave games are merely a fucking pixel, while the sprite is 50 times as huge. All this does is merely confusing the player about where the actual hitbox is. It makes it much harder to see your hitbox from the corner of your eye. The same goes for the bullets. All it does is just confusing the player.

And again, dipshit, I never said sprites should have the same size as hitboxes. I just say that cave makes them too huge compared to the size of the hitboxes.

You don't need to see the hitbox you absolute mong, you need to see the actual bullet.
>I never said sprites should have the same size as hitboxes
Why? It makes it confusing for the players who according to you need perfect information about bullet hitboxes rofl

>You don't need to see the hitbox
Of course you need to see the hitbox you fucking retard.

> It makes it confusing for the players who according to you need perfect information about bullet hitboxes rofl
Only retards can merely think in black and white. There also is a middle ground you know, with actual balance.

Riddle me this, you dumb shit, why do you need that balance?

So you want the sprite to be minuscule instead? Being able to see the sprite makes it easier to read patterns in relation to your location.

He wants them to be a little bit smaller than they are now because of his preferences. That's really the core of his argument lol.

>So you want the sprite to be minuscule instead?
No, I prefer normal sized sprites with normal sized hitboxes.
Cave has huge sprites with tiny pixel hitboxes, which is beyond stupid.

Name a bullet hell game with patterns as dense as the cave ones you're complaining about with sprite/hitbox ratios you're fine with

The ship sprites are fine and pretty normal, I think. They're not especially bigger or smaller compared to other shmups.
The bullets may be retardedly huge, but retardation is an inherent part of CAVE game design anyway. The sprite size is their smallest issue.

Where did I ever said I want dense patterns? Cave bullet density is also beyond retardation.
I prefer games where the backgrounds are actually still visible. You know 70% of the actual art design in a shmup...