Did my auto shop screw me over or is this normal at all auto shops? I live in California

Did my auto shop screw me over or is this normal at all auto shops? I live in California.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FgdA4PNvfD0?t=25s
amazon.com/EPAuto-2007-2011-2006-2012-2009-2013-2009-2015/dp/B017OIG4BO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1495913531&sr=8-5&keywords=Toyota RAV4 2006 air filter
youtube.com/watch?v=bwR7J23m-Ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Total amount was $334.75

Yeah you got fucking scammed.

70 fucking dollars for dot3 brake fluid and a bleed...absolute toppest of keks

Didn't even get you new rotors...lol

>getting your rotors machined
kek

>78.45 for just the front pads as parts
>18.55 for brake fluid
>$48 to turn rotors
>Almost $200 in labor for something that can be done in less than an hour

You got fucked without lube, OP.

Learn to wrench.

I mean at first I thought "hey at least they only charged him ~$15 in parts for the oil filter and the oil" but goddamn they really reamed him on the brakes.

If he knew how to do his own brakes he could've replaced the rotors and pads on all four wheels (AND gotten the brake bleeder + caliper tools to do it) for the same price

You got fucking ripped dude, all of this can be done for free sans the cost of parts in an hour. Also the price on that recommended filter change is fucking nutty, you can do that in like 5 minutes without tools.

Op tell me what car you drive. I actually want to find out how much it would have cost to replace your entire brake system

>(((Recommended))) Repairs and Services:
>Replace Cabin Filter - 49.95
>Replace Air Filter - 19.95
you can usually get an air filter for $10.99 online, and the cabin air filter for $10-15

these guys are jewing you hard opie

Toyota RAV4 2006.
Problem is I don't know how to fix cars, so I'm gonna get fucked either way. I don't want to fuck up the process then have to pay 10 times more. I guess it's time to find a new auto shop.

They try to pull that shit at every shop

>oh yeah your air filter needs to be replaced. That'll be $75

God I hate mechanics. They exist to screw over normies.

Unless this dude is driving something like a Porsche, he got FUCKED. And even then, $48 to turn some rotors? Yeah, you got FUCKED anyway. My guy does them for $10 each.

It's pretty hard to fuck up simple shit like that.

If you can't follow simple guides on youtube on how to do it properly, you deserve rape desu

I looked it up on amazon. Would have been $80 for new pads, $80 for new rotors, and probably around $10 for dot3 fluid, $15 for dot4. Would take about 90 minutes to do

>Problem is I don't know how to fix cars, so I'm gonna get fucked either way. I don't want to fuck up the process then have to pay 10 times more. I guess it's time to find a new auto shop.
Dude. DUDE. I am a certified donkey-brains idiot and even I figured out how to do a top-down oil change and replace the air filter on my shitbox.

>go onto YouTube
>type in [your car's year/make/model] + "oil change"
>some dingus will show you where the drain plug is, where your oil filter is, and where to jack up your car

If you're incapable of following step-by-step visual instructions from YouTube I think you honestly shouldn't even be allowed to get laid.

youtu.be/FgdA4PNvfD0?t=25s
amazon.com/EPAuto-2007-2011-2006-2012-2009-2013-2009-2015/dp/B017OIG4BO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1495913531&sr=8-5&keywords=Toyota RAV4 2006 air filter

oh golly gee gosh it sure is hecking tough to replace the air filter on your shitbox!

5 minutes under the hood and $9 on Amazon. You have no excuse.

youtube.com/watch?v=bwR7J23m-Ps

no excuse

That's about average. Don't feel bad about it. The dealer I work for would have charged about the same. Despite what the fuccbois on here say, an automotive shop is a business and has to make money somehow.

Brake flushes I'm on the fence about.

Yeah, hate the mechanic because of how the management sets prices. I get paid $2-4 to install that filter despite its cost and the shops labor rate. Make sure the next time your car has a problem you can't figure out because you and your forum buddies don't actually know shit about how cars work, you tell your service writer to inform the technician what a piece of shit they are because they can diagnose and repair vehicles better than you.

>we're "fuccbois" because we want OP to do the masculine thing and swap out the air filter on his shitbox himself
It's literally two spring clips and lifting up a hinged cover.

>You fuccbois have never had to fix a problem a customer has created by fucking up something incredibly simple and causing major damage.

Sometimes it's better for some people to let professionals do the work if they are not comfortable doing it. There is nothing wrong with that.

What kind of faggot can't change his own brake pads?

My friend paid 800 to get all 4 brake pads replaced at pep boys. Everyone in the frat laughs at him for stuff.

Hey guys! Chris Fix here.

It was a 2009 civic

>didn't even install a new Johnson rod

Yeah, you got fucked.

you're a fucking dullard m8. all you need is a set of cheap metric spanners, some muscle, and parts/replacement fluids to do most preventative maintenance. stop being a sissy faggot and learn2wrench

Fluids are cheaper in stores for the record.

Sounds about right OP.

Remember you're paying extra for someone else to do it for you.

>$120 labor for replacing pads
>another $70 labor charge for bleeding the system

>machine front brake rotors $48
You could almost buy new economy ones from Rock Auto for that price, and they'd be better than your now-compromised rotors they've shaved down.

Standard price for a reputable shop in a metro area

>OMG I can't believe shops are charging money for their time and parts, why don't they operate at a loss?!

This.

The thread is full of false equivalency with comparisons of a shop doing the work and providing parts with doing it yourself and buying parts at a discount. The real question is if another shop would have been significantly more or less expensive and I agree that it's in the ball park for the work done.

>Standard price for a reputable shop in a metro area
Maybe I'm lucky, but I paid less than this for a 90k mile service from my local Honda dealer.

I would be outraged if a shop was charging me what OP just paid.

>Did my auto shop screw me over or is this normal at all auto shops? I live in California.
A lot of dealer websites will have service specials or at least advertise their regular price on commodity items such as alignment, brake replacement per axle, oil/filter change, etc. For example, if you have chevrolet, look up all the chevy dealers in your greater metro area and visit all their websites. You'll see a variety of prices. Then look up nationwide chains like Discount Tire and a few other shops like Buckys to see what their pricing is for brakes.

It's all one set price. So when you pay for brake jobs per axle, that will be the brakes for both wheels on that one axle. The job includes bleeding the brakes and verifying and adding more brake fluid as necessary. It's all part of the price. Usually the places charge a different fee for turning the rotors. Locally, there is a shop that does brakes $129 per axle, rotor turning included if you buy the rotors from them. The rotors are $89 to $129 each which may sound expensive, but if purchased at that price as part of the ongoing brake job, the removal of the old and installation of the new is no extra charge.

If you have a normal brake job where only the brake pads are replaced (bleed, dot3 fluid included, rotor turned if warped) then google says the average cost is $150 per axle.

You should not see ala carte charging for a brake job such as:
new semi-metallic brake pads: $xx
replace brake pads: $xx
removal fee for old rotor: $xx
purchase new rotor: $xxx
turn new rotor: $xx
installation fee for new rotor: $xx
new dot3 brake fluid: $48
bleed brakes: $xx
waste disposal of old parts: $x
shop supplies fees: $x
hazmat supplies for asbestos pads: $x

Brake jobs are a commodity item. The steps in it should not be itemized ala carte with inflated charges.

> rotor turning included if you buy the rotors from them

>purchase new rotor: $xxx
>turn new rotor: $xx

any shop that has fancy receipts like that is overcharging. always ask to see a sample receipt before getting a quote

It would have been cheaper at a dealer.

OP are you dumb?

>Did my auto shop screw me over
One of the generic rule of thumb is that the Stealership sets the normal ceiling for the max price any service should cost. Any other shop that has a higher price than the stealership is excessively ripping you off. If the price is too high, file a complaint with your state attorney general at their auto website pages. If your state attorney general is people-oriented and not corporation oriented, those should be available as they are in my state when we had a strong democratic attorney general who believed in consumer rights. We have a republican now, so some consumer rights pages seem to be rewritten or disappeared. But we are still able to complain at least.

The attorney general is able to correct problems such as the use of technically legal abnormal business practices to create higher than normal charges.