What's an easy tech service that I can offer to people in my college town to earn easy money on craigslist...

What's an easy tech service that I can offer to people in my college town to earn easy money on craigslist? Something that wouldn't be hard for me to do or learn but lots of people would pay money for?

fixing broken screens

Sucking dicks while wearing your google glass.

Kneepads

Network engineering and emergency data recovery. Srs.

this desu senpai, this is what I do right now while going to school and it pays pretty good (there's always new businesses needing networks or old ones needing upgrades, and you keep them as a customer with the data recovery.)

Pretty soon I'm gonna start pentesting and add more money to the pot

(i'm also in a fairly small town, like

I used to get paid to do people's Python, Java, C++, C, etc. homework.

>C, C++

Except for Python and if you're lucky Java no one is going to let you work on a systems level codebase without a diploma or prior experience.

C and C++ are grown up languages not something you advertise on craigslist.

Uh, what? Its all easy as shit dude. You just do the code in Eclipse and send them the file.

He said do their homework, not program for them directly

Interesting. Could you guys elaborate a bit? What software do you use for the data recovery?

What do you mean by network engineering exactly?

Do you use craigslist? If not what do you use for all your customers?

What? No that isn't how it works, maybe Python (and as I said) Java but C and C++ are no friendly languages. Sure you may be able to find some kids who let you do there homework but they probably know just as much as you, and if you know more then you would know how to get a job writing it.

Python is a childs language.
Java is a pajeet language, but you may be able to do it for moneys

C and C++ give even CS graduates problems.

For data recovery? Most systems are pretty much just backends (CentOS) and we use snapshots from the actual filesystem (this depends on the filesystem, ext4, xfs and zfs all have seperate utilities.)

For the windows PC's it's mostly frontend and doesn't matter if it's cleared because needed files are stored on a netshare that is just dd'd to a backup disk (we can restore an entire network in a day, and we can automate most things as well making the job even easier.)

>use craigslist

No, what we do is go in face to face; it's better this way because in small towns craigslist has a name for being filled with deviants and most people know someone you know (so word of mouth means a lot more.)

C++ is easy as shit dude. I did it freshman year of college.

I cant speak for C personally, but the fact that you think C++ is hard kind if ruins your credibility.

Im actually interested in this, any tips?

>We
Who is we?

>Go face to face
As in you actually go into different businesses that you think could use your service and ask them? I was talking more on the side of data recovery instead of network engineering, I have no idea what that is. You think I could get clients by going from business to business on data recovery purely?

Typing up resumes.
I charge $40 per.
Takes 30 mins to do.
I get 2-3 per week.

Ooo, please explain and elaborate.

Where did you learn to be good at typing up resumes?

How do you get your continuous clients?

Any kind of info you'd have if I wanted to get started. Please and thank you.

I never said C++ was hard, I said if you can do C++ you wouldn't be worried about it because it's the most used language and there's always jobs looking for you.

But if you have no education or experience good luck getting hired

We is me and the guy I do jobs with

As for going face to face, as I said word of mouth is good but also facebook can help grow your presence.

Network engineering means you build networks and maintain them if needed. Most customers we have for data recovery were initially people needing networks.

>Build networks and maintain them
Yeah don't think i'd do that. I don't have any experience in that area and I don't want to just watch a quick youtube video and fuck up people's networks for money. I'm guessing it's not a quick and easy thing to learn?

I bet your work is shit. Actual resume companies charge between $200 - $400 for resumes.

Or maybe hes just priced competitive?

>Where did you learn to be good at typing up resumes?
My STEM program includes a ""Business Communications"" course since engineers have a reputation to be autists.
One day a friend of mine was talking about seeing someone from the uni business center to help him with a resume for his internship.
I offered to help, literally just followed the template out of the bis comm textbook.
Made a list of tips of what to do during the interview - also straight out of the text book.
He got the internship spot and started referring people to me.
At its peak I was doing 10 per day while I was still in college.
Now that I'm out of college, I put up Craigslist ads but it doesn't convert as well.
So I only still do it for a little extra beer money now.

(You)

Yeah I had a few years experience with Linux (and 10+ years using Windows) before I was able to talk about networking enough to land jobs. A youtube video is not gonna cut it (but there is lots of money in it.)

Interesting. So let me just say that I have no experience with resumes whatsoever.

1. Are they actually that difficult to make or is it just that their difficulty get over exaggerated by most people?

2. Is it something I can learn relatively easily? Like reading a book and articles on how to write excellent resumes?

>or is it just that their difficulty get over exaggerated by most people?
This.
You can learn it in a day or so.

I actually write resumes for a living. There's no way I would ever take on a job for $40. I've never even done anything under $200.

It takes a lot more skill and effort than most people think. That's why people are willing to pay so much. I've worked in writing and marketing for years, but I still had to train in my current position for 6 months before I was allowed to operate my own office.

Sure you can find some dumb schmuck on Craigslist or hire some foreigner to do it for cheap, but they won't do it well. I've written resumes for everyone from receptionists to electricians to executives at fortune 500 companies. It requires a lot of knowledge about all different kinds of professions to be able to write a resume effectively. Luckily I have the resources of a team of colleagues and a massive database of past work to consult. That guy on Craigslist isn't going to have that at their disposal. Nor do they have time-tested, proven methods.

Plus a big part of my job is client management. Everyone who comes in my office has some kind of problem. I am one part therapist, one part parish priest, and one part writer.

The best moment of my job was when I guy gave me a Tag Heuer watch as a thank you gift 3 months after I had written his resume/CL. And that was after I charged him $410 already.

Do you really think the kind of people looking for resume help on Craigslist need a $200 resume?

For someone who claims to run such an extensive operation, you dont seem to understand demographics or a target audience

A basic online template resume is good enough for at least 90% of normal jobs

He already explained shis role in it...

Just trying to clarify
>Resumes are easy as shit for a normal person

>$40 is easy money for "give me the info to plug and Ill send you the result"

Hes clearly talking about resumes for highly skilled occupations which I didnt want to confuse the people asking questions earlier

become a javascript or objective c programmer

I've sold resumes to fast food workers for $350. It's all a matter of what it's worth to the individual. If someone wants to waste their money on CL or some online service, go ahead. If you actually want a professional, then you have to pay an appropriate price.

>A basic online template resume is good enough for at least 90% of normal jobs
But you are looking at it all wrong. For one thing, resume templates are pointless because they don't actually tell you what to write. Plus, a resume doesn't get people jobs, it gets them interviews. Interviews get you jobs (I also do interview coaching which is about 30% of my revenue).

A well written resume is the difference between getting 10 interviews out of 20 applications vs 2 interviews out of 20 applications. It's about return on investment. I wouldn't have repeat clients coming back again and again for years if my services weren't getting them jobs.

If you want to use some Microsoft word template to write your resume, go ahead. If it gets you interviews that lead to a job, congratulations.

For most, a resume is something people only need to write a small handful of times in their life. They are not going to be experts at it. If you do it for a living and have a team of colleagues for support, you will become an expert. It's the same way how you might not trust yourself or some guy on craigslist to perform your root canal, you'd want a professional dentist instead.

And about demographics and target audience, I don't really care. My demographic is people who can't write effectively. We get people from all walks of life. I would say that our two biggest demographics are blue collar men in the skilled trades and black women in customer service positions. They both pay big bucks and are easy to please. The rest is white collar people and foreigners. But if someone comes in and expects a resume to go for $100 or less, I tell them that's not possible and show them the door. I turn away business all the time.

Most people dont NEED a proffesional grade resume is what Im getting at. They just dont know any better.

Needing interview coaching is a whole different point, some people are just plain dumb

Why exactly are you so butthurt?
All I did was share my experience doing this.