Do you understand the relationship between power, torque, and rippems?

Do you understand the relationship between power, torque, and rippems?

rpm is the most important parameter
with rpm high enough you can deafen all the other contestants and always win

REV

horse piss is a function of torque

Yes, but I'm not clear on the relationship between torque, HP and acceleration and top speed.

Why does torque and hp peak?

>newton-meters in relation to horse power
FUCKING STOP

A dyno measures torque and rpms. Then horsepower is calculated mathematically, since horsepower is a rate dependant on time. One horsepower is 33,000 ft-lbf/ minute.
So if torque stays the same as rpms (revs per minute) climb, horsepower rises. This is what we're seeing on your dyno chart.

Volumetric efficiency. At high enough rpm the ports are open for such a short duration that the combustion chamber vacuum cannot be filled fast enough to continue making greater power.

What is the problem?

No teach me sensei

torque wins races.
horspwer doesn't exist as it's simply a calculation of torque over time and time is a man made fabrication.

Modern tyres on camaro, pic rel zonda in cinque and they did lap IIRC in zonda F and track was resurfaced between these runs

The problem is that horsepower is based on ft/lb and not newton-meters. Either use imperial or metric, not both.

>salty yurofag excuses

Lel

Torque is actually meaningless without knowing the rpm at which it is at

HP is all that matters not torque
Horsepower is the amount of sustained torque over time
My impact gun has 1700lbs of torque but it wont be winning any drag races as that is for a millisecond.
Higher RPM means more gear reduction means more wheel torque
More wheel torque over time is all you need.
Horsepower is simpley torque times RPM divided by 5252. Hence at 5252 rpm they are ALWAYS equal if a dyno does not show this it has some fuckery on it

All else equal, a car with an engine that makes 300 ft-lbs at 3000 rpm will lose to the same car with an engine that makes 300 ft-lbs at 4000 rpm. It's making the same amount of energy, but in less time.

you sound really stupid.
horsepower is calculated over time, which is a fake variable.
rpm and torque is real, that's why top fuel cars are so fast.

How are top fuel cars fast if time is a fake variable?

I love the rattle gun arguments always manages to get the congnitive dissonance out of muh torque fags

power = torque x rpm

it's easy.

The fun starts when benchracing the rest of the parameters which governs engine performance.

1700 torques from a 5/8 socket is obviously not as much as 1700 torques coming from my 21 inch wheels, dingus

>excuses

>rpm
>rotations per min
>per min
>min

Time is involved
what? cant possibly be this retarded
Torque is an amount of twisting force with no time given its useless.
Horsepower is simply torque amount with an rpm amount which has a time metric built in.
950lb ft of torque diesel trucks are slow its not just because they are heavy but because they only have 400hp~

Don't respond to shitposters please

Wrong. It is the same.

You may be having fun pretending to be retarded, but I'm having more fun being right :)

>1700 pounds of feathers is obviously not as much as 1700 pounds of steel dingus

The units of torque are (force x lever arm distance) which is (mass x distance^2/time^2), whereas the units of power are (energy / time) which is (mass x distance^2 / time^3), right? Since the units of RPM are 1/time, then, up to a conversion factor, power = torque x rpm. (The conversion factor comes from 1hp = 550 foot-pounds by definition, 1 min = 60 seconds and 1 revolution = 2pi arc length and (550 * 60) / (2 * pi) = 5252)

I get how RPM translates directly into the velocity of the car (via the gearings and the wheel radius). I get how given the torque curve and the rpm range of the engine you need multiple gears to get enough acceleration on the tires to make it go at different speeds.

Why does torque depend on RPM?

What if you had a 2:1 overdrive which took that slow 950lb of torque and made it faster? Do dyno's do their measurements with a 1:1 gearing like 4th gear?

I thought that horsepower and torque always cross at 5252rpm on the graphs, as part of how they're calculated out.

That seems to be in the wrong on this graph, OP.

Dynos have gearing compensation so you get engine RPM from roller speed.

Horsepower is always the most important metric. It determines what your wheel torque will be for arbitrary gearing. Torque is to horsepower what current is to power.

With more RPM(horsepower) you can run a steeper ratio

In your example you have a 950lb torque engine running at 3,000~ rpm
So if you ran it overdrive at say 2:1 it would be approximately equal to a 6,000 rpm 475lb of torque which is basically what a 6.2l silverado makes. The issue with diesels is they have a very narrow RPM powerband hence why big rigs have 18 gears sometimes. Gas motors usually make good torque for a 4,000~ rpm range say 2,500-6,500 vs a diesel which is maybe 1,700 or so 1,300-3,000ish

Horsepower is a much better metric to use than torque because it tells you how much work the engine can do.
Horsepower and lb feet of torque yes but OPs chart is HP and NM which is stupid
KW and NM

It doesnt
Torque is simple how much twist on a static bar.
Electic engines make peak torque at zero RPM compared to gas motors which is usually 4-5,000 rpm this is because the way a ICE engine works. Its a pump so its flow and efficiency varies as air velocity changes

~230Nm is ~170ft/lbs which equals to the ~170hp at 5252Rpm.

torque and power only cross there if your using ft/lbs.

>How are top fuel cars fast if time is a fake variable?
torque
lmao gg 2ez i win checkm8 fag

max torque is a completely useless stat I'm surprised it's still so popular.

all that matters is the integral of horsepower over the relevant range of RPM you are interested in.

Assmad gm fangirl spotted

Oops.

I admit only looking at the RPM and watching the lines not cross.

I should have looked at all the scales.

>horsepower doesn't exist

yeah I bet your engine runs at 0 rpm dumbass

It's useful if you are going to be towing something. My z makes 450Nm and my dads triton makes only 410. However the diesel makes that at 2000rpm so it's much better for towing.