It seems most cops in North America have adopted the Ford Fusion/Taurus and Dodge Charger/Challenger as replacements...

It seems most cops in North America have adopted the Ford Fusion/Taurus and Dodge Charger/Challenger as replacements for the Crown Vic. Considering those cars are complete shit, what would've been a better choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dLqsW9XtsCE
gmfleet.com/specialty-vehicles/police/chevy-caprice-ppv-police-car.html
edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-test-27-liter-ecoboost-vs-50-liter-v8.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bentayga.

Keeping the Crown Vics.

All I've seen is Explorers.

Commodores and Falcons obviously

Who has challenger police cars?

I saw a e92 M police car on a business trip in Baltimore.

probably siezed from a dealer

This

Crown Vic is such a classic cruiser

Pontiac G8

staties in the midwest

Probably but it was pretty sweet.

>daily driver
>never pay maintenance

youtube.com/watch?v=dLqsW9XtsCE

>"RT didn't want it!"
>other guy "OH SHIT"

Lmao

This, honestly. For the purposes of a police cruiser they're just the best. Loads of space, can throw perps in the back without breaking their knees first, carry all your shit, run forever.

They're slow, but it's not like the newer cop cars are much faster- the only ones that are really FAST are the V8 Chargers and most departments don't even order those, they get the V6 ones instead.

Let's see, it has to...
>Be a mid/full size car
>Have lots of power
>Decent gas mileage
>Good price, reliability
>Not look too gay
So Euro shit is too expensive, Jap shit is just boring and terrible, and Korean cars just aren't work horses. I think their best bet would've been waiting a few years and buying this gen of Impala.

South Carolina here, state troopers, highway patrol, and local sheriff's office use a shitload of them and tahoes

Wisconsin

Base trim diesel E-Classes for basic patrol duties.

Quick, reliable, efficient, powerful, durable, roomy and they already sell them in police packages for European Police agencies.

Why would you want the cops to have a good car?

There is no way in hell that any American police station would buy anything but American cars

we have a vast ocean of these patroling my city and chargers too

>Something goes wrong on them
Well shit there goes our years budget

>They already sell them in Europe
Yeah, because of EU regulations forcing police (and everyone else) to buy whatever shit Germany shovels out.

Some of the local agencies here in Los Angeles bought some Chargers a few years ago, probably to evaluate them. I'm not sure they fared well, as they seem to be rotating them out of service already.

Explorers seem to be the most common model used for new police cars here. All the other options are still less common than Crown Vics. I think LAPD has tested all of the big 3's sedan offerings, and I see more Tauruses than Caprices or current-gen Chargers (but still a handful of older ones).

I think California Highway Patrol is switching to Explorers exclusively because none of the big 3's sedans have the payload rating that they want.

Should be interesting to see if the Rekoboost V6s in those Exploders hold up to police use.

GM's current police car is a (Holden) Caprice, not a Malibu.

gmfleet.com/specialty-vehicles/police/chevy-caprice-ppv-police-car.html

Yeah, and it's shit. If police held on to their Crown Vics for a few more years the Impala is what their cop car would've been.

>Well shit there goes our years budget
Mercs are pretty reliable, especially diesels, and they're not very expensive to fix. Dealers just love gouging customers, especially in the US. Mercedes only become hard to maintain if you're buying high end hyper luxury / high performance models like S-Classes or AMG cars. A six cylinder diesel Merc is nothing difficult to run.

>Yeah, because of EU regulations forcing police (and everyone else) to buy whatever shit Germany shovels out.
Not true. Police in Europe regularly order Hyundai, Kia, Volvo, Ford, Citroen, Jaguar, Renault, Fiat vehicles. There are no regulations, except for maybe in Germany dictating that police must buy German vehicles or even European makes. Law enforcement buy Mercedes because they last a long time and you can abuse them. Taxi drivers choose them for the same reason.

>Yeah, and it's shit. If police held on to their Crown Vics for a few more years the Impala is what their cop car would've been.

Dude you're fucking retarded. The Caprice (Holden) received a perfect score from the LAPD. They weren't acquired because they're relatively expensive and the plant was scheduled to be shutting down in the near future meaning future parts supply would be difficult. Meanwhile the Impala is a slow, understeering, front wheel drive barge.

cadillac V wagons

Doesn't matter because anything they buy is still slow as shit compared to my ultimate driving machine

Honda Civic. Duh

They should use the SRT 392 Chargers and GT Mustangs instead.

>Considering those cars are complete shit, what would've been a better choice?
My city and the neighboring ones all seem to be using this SUV thing with a chevrolet logo. The model name badging is removed so that it doesn't advertise a name. They are roomy, and tall enough to drive over obstacles that the criminals might use.

A modern Impala is pretty low slung to the ground just like its slightly smaller sibling the Malibu. The SUV seems to be a good choice as it importantly has height over a sedan. The computer cameras on top thus have a height advantage as they scan the surroundings. The scans are done for license plates and facial recognition.

Ford focus RS

We have a speed trap town that had them.

Painted all back with Police in small text by the bottom of the door in a lighter shade of black.

Why is that black on black shit allowed?

>quick
>reliable
>efficient
>powerful
>durable
>roomy

pick none

They tried Commodores over here as the Chevy Caprice, the cop cars sold like shit just like the Civilian ones simply just badged SS.

Dunno why they went with Taurus' and Chargers over the Holden. There were a few but allot of them are already popping up in auctions.

Saw one in North Eastern Oregon, was a Sheriff from the county over.

Waiting for this, maybe with an 8 speed auto

>The model name badging is removed so that it doesn't advertise a name.

That's probably because they don't want people to realize they're driving $50k+ Suburbans, before fit up costs. You leave the name on there, people might start wondering just how much of their taxes are going to pointlessly expensive patrol vehicles, and/or if there might be some truth behind the "ticket revenue" meme after all.

Around here, one PD has a fleet of 4 Suburbans, all less than 3 years old, plus an undercover silver Impala or Malibu that's probably 5 years old. It's quite seriously the perfect undercover car - no visible lights, normal color plates (green, here, instead of the red municipal plates the normal cruisers use), and it's about as unmemorable as any car is capable of being. It looks like just another generic 4 door sedan, I'd never even know it was a cop car and not some troopers personal car if I hadn't seen it with the lights on at one point.

Other than that one department, Ford Explorers seem to be the most popular choice. State cops have a bunch, as well as some of the better off towns. Tall enough to drive over obstacles, all wheel drive, roomy enough to carry a number of fully automatic weapons for when the jay walking pedestrian gives you some lip, enough power to catch up to most cars, probably have fleet pricing available on them, and a starting price of about 1/2 of what a typical Suburban would cost.

Probably the worst patrol vehicle I've seen was a near by head sherriff, who runs the local department. He drives a brand new GMC Yukon Denali, with municipal plates and all the lights and sirens. Town vehicle, bought with tax payer money, not an impound or anything, that STARTS at $65k and goes up from there.

Never thought about it this way.

Cops get to play cops-and-robbers with tax payer money.

>I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about

why are they shit

theyre pretty good

leagues better than a shitbox Vic

my county's sheriff department still uses Crown Vics, PD uses a bunch of different vehicles, mostly Fusions, but there's a couple Chargers, and Explorers and F-150s because rural and snow. plus one right hand drive Wrangler that serves as the parking cop downtown. local PD has a pretty big fleet because surrounding towns are so small my town's PD has to serve most of them.

I don't think so. Maybe there is a restriction to buy vehicles made in Europe, but not on the nationality of the brand. Plenty of ford and nissan around here.
I think parts availability and ease of maintenance are the main concerns when buying a fleet.

In the modern car rooster available to everyone right now?
Nothing.
However, Crown Vics or at least Crown vic-like cars should have been kept in service.

it's funny because anyone who bought a charger got cucked by the police, now everyone around them will do 5 under lmfao

My area has alot of the Caprice police cars, but fleet hates them because they take long to get parts from australia

/thread

My town has a couple Camry police cars. They were probably donated though since they're made in my town.

They're objectively more american than anything from the American brands anyway.

So Portugal just leased a fuckload of these.
>316ds

>police car
>leased
what.

Yeah.

BMW loved it so much they offered the State one i8 and two i3s.
(In reality the government said they wanted to test electric cars so they could entirely replace the ICE fleet in the future, so BMW stepped in.)

But in the end, you can outrun each and every one of them just by taking a slight corner.

but police cars naturally get abused and beat to shit. They're painted specifically for police use too. It's obvious they're not going to be able to return them at the end of the lease. Why not just buy them?

Just got back from a roadtrip NYC to DC and back, saw challengers in MD and NJ.

>but police cars naturally get abused and beat to shit
Fair enough, and that's why it makes more sense to lease them. It also makes a lot more sense taking into account maintenance costs.
It's really common to lease fleets for various uses in Europe.

>They're painted specifically for police use too.
Those are decals.

They still use a lot of crown vics/mauraders in my area

State troopers have the charger, my local pd/sheriff uses last gen focuses and new Tauruses

I've also seen F150's, Explorers, and a few blacked out mustang GTs that were clearly cop cars.

The small towns that make a ton of money on speeding tickets.
There's a local county there that makes 60% of their annual revenue on speeding tickets.
Their cops drive blacked out Chargers. On the main road through the town, there aren't any streetlights so you can't see them until they light you up.

I've seen a lot more Caprices than Ford police cars, actually.

Ive seen literally 0 Caprices but a lot of Chargers and Tauruses

They are not rare here

This

>quick
5.8 0-60
>reliable
Mercedes is ranked far above Dodge and Ford who manufacture most police vehicles in the US.
>efficient
21 city; 32 highway mpg with most owners reporting better fuel efficiency figures than Mercedes-Benz advertises.
>powerful
261hp and 460 ft-lbs, more powerful than the Crown Vic
>durable
Mercs, especially diesels are known to run to a half million miles with few problems, that's why they're used as taxis and police vehicles in Europe.
>Roomy
More interior volume than the Taurus.

Didn't Cali buy a shitload?

I know a good number of cops and they say if your detachment has a Charger, there's fights over who gets to drive it because so many prefer them over the lolnoroom Fords.

>german cars
>reliable

Cops here in rural ass Georgia use 50/50 Tahoes and RAM 1500's. Officially the pickups are for contraband recovery but they just use them for speed traps. That's all they have here, totally blacked out patrol vehicles with grey "POLICE" text on the side.

Their Ecoboost F150's are quicker, more efficient and more useful. I doubt the police cars and Taxi's in Europe cover the distances that a North American car does.

crown vics are outdated pieces of shit that guzzle gas to create a handful of nothing. An old landbarge that didn't get changed for 20 years before being discontinued isn't a good police cruiser these days.

Mercedes are pretty fucking reliable. Perhaps you're confusing them with VAG garbage.

Why couldn't they order ford to design a Supercharger with a DCT kit for the Crown Vic

AZ fag here. The loss of the Crown Vic has put every department in a flux. Tahoe's and Explorer's seem to be one of the most popular choices though.

The Ecoboost F150 definitely does not get better fuel economy than an E350 diesel.

edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-test-27-liter-ecoboost-vs-50-liter-v8.html

An F150 also maxes out about 40 mph below the E350. I don't know where you're getting your data from.

But cops already used it.

WRX STI

hm?

f550s

the ford falcon turbo!

City has exploders, and sheriff/chp have chargers.

Well yeah they are, aside from the turbocharged v8 models

Theres a STi cop by me

And where is the government accountability for this sort of stuff? I don't work 9-5 every day making bare minimum so I can pay taxes for some fat, overpaid state employee to play in a $50,000 car the whole day. I see now way how this suits a policeman's work purpose other than "it goes fast." Can't store equiptment, can't transport criminals, can't do shit.

inb4
>muhh high speed chases

>Asian cars
>built in America

>"American" cars
>built in Mexico

Why not? I know several departments that use foreign cars. NYPD has a lot of imports as an example.

Pretty much everybody here in Canada seems to have gone primarily to the Taurus. My local department announced they would replace their Vics with Chargers, and then promptly decided the Taurus was actually better and went with those.
They've also been acquiring a ton of Explorers though, and the rest of the fleet is a lot of Ford pickups and E-Series vans

BC, Canada

Which department? I'm quite certain neither the RCMP nor metro Vancouver police use them

nothing, these were literally the best two for the job, most depts wanted 4 door, awd auto with 300+ hp, and these were what was offered to them

Because the 2v 4.6 isn't meant for that type of abuse, and even if it were there isn't much room under the hood for a supercharger anyway (remember, the Crown Vic was made before the laws that say you have to have a certain amount of space between the engine and the hood).

YOU ARE IN VIORATION OF ZA RAW

HART OR I WIRR SHOORT

Itasca?

>Meanwhile the Impala is a slow, understeering, front wheel drive barge.
Can confirm. I bought a 2016 and I fucking hate it. God damn do I hate it.

Its not as slow as most people think, but its a fucking barge that cant steer for shit. The interior feels cheap as hell. Stock tires are the most useless things in the world. Interior space is less than what you would fucking expect from a landwhale of a car on the outside.

babbys first red pill

Why the fuck did you buy it then