Why didn't the Viper sell well? It was comparable to a Corvette...

Why didn't the Viper sell well? It was comparable to a Corvette, without having to say you owned a Corvette like every other average joe.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T2PYZ8DeI98
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was literally the most expensive car to insure ever

People can't handle V10 masterrace

The Viper was made to be a successor to the AC Cobra. Manual only, very little in the way of safety equipment, fuckhuge N/A engine. It doesn't sell well to sandniggers or celebrities, and they are the ones who hold most of the supercar/really fast sportscar/whatever you want to call the Viper purchasing power.

The viper was a limited production halo car

No matter how much people love muscle cars, as the price goes up the more the gravitas of the car matters. For $100,000+ you can buy a car that will impress either a Billy Bob (viper) or a hot sluts (not a viper)

nobody wants a piece of shit

The Viper isn't a musclecar in the slightest.

A school bus/u-haul truck engine... oooo so scary.

A Corvette was/is lighter and puts out about the same power with less maintenance costs. That's why it sold better.

too bad the viper is faster around the track

The Corvette sold better because it was cheaper and available in automatic.

The Corvette sells better than almost anything because its been a household name since the 50s.

But that is the audience it appeals to regardless

It's too expensive and it doesn't have the heritage that the corvette does so it's not as appealing to boomers. Every boomer grew up dreaming about owning a corvette someday since they were a lil younglin. You can buy a brand new base model corvette for like $50k while the viper costs twice as much. It's also only offered with a manuel transmiciĆ³n.

Why do you say that? It looks like a nice, beautiful high end sportscar. Just because it has the Dodge badge?

Truck engine.

Nobody in the market for these cars gives a flying fuck about laptimes. They want something fast, somewhat comfy and reliable enough to take to work and the country club.

All the ones before the fiat takeover were not high end.

Because its built for enthusiasts who buy used.

That's not how you spell Integra in Toronto

Oh my god that's disgusting

>A school bus/u-haul truck engine... oooo so scary.
Um no, it's based on the 273 LA engine, and made specifically for the Viper only.
Stay mad GMfag

Hahahaha. It was a truck engine that was tuned by Lamborghini for the Viper. Chrysler was so inept they had to outsource performance.

You know, just like other old supercars

People that want it can't afford it.
People that can afford it want a ferrari.

>tuned
More like they cast the entire fucking block from aluminum
>outsource performance
To a company they owned?

Excluding SUVs, every rich person I know drives a Maserati GT, R8, S class, 911 etc.
None of them would even think of cross shopping with a viper.
I think its partly the dealer network in addition to the brand. When you bring your GT in, you talk to all your Maserati and ferrari people at the shop/dealer.
When you bring you viper in, you are among the doge dart, caravan and other peasantry

are you joking? this lambo looks countless times better than this abomination

benchracers btfo irl

Literally just the lighting and the plastic color

>comparing god's car to a plastic fischer-price interior viper
please fucking kill yourself.

I just googled and shit you're right. My bad, I didn't know they owned them that long. I thought the Viper came out after the sell.

You guys have never actually sat in a Diablo have you? They're just as bad as the Viper

literally ford mondeo. meanwhile the lambo looks like miami vice

>It was a truck engine
Wrong, it was devised in 1992.
Rams only started getting the 360 LA-based V10 in 1993.
Stay ass-hurt

>being a rational adult
No you're supposed to shit fling until the thread 404s

People always forget that most 90's and early 00's cars had shit interiors, even high end super cars and sports cars

>Nissan headlights

I corrected myself here. I was misinformed.

Corvette handled better and was more reliable.

Vipers came with standard DODGE reliability, were expensive to insure, water pumps seemed to shit the bed regularly, and they had issues with alignment of panels (people said the fucking doors would sag over time, and you'd literally have to lift them up to close them properly [my ex-GF's father had one, he told me about this]).

Not to mention they're R A R E so not a lot of dealerships have someone on hand who can adequately service them. It's a specialty vehicle, you're basically buy a domestic car with import headaches.

Plus they handle like shit and are really no good on or off the track, they just make huge burnouts. There are a dozen better cars to own for the same money, including a Corvette or a Shelby Mustang.

depends on the year, but the diablo makes up for it because its a fucking diablo.
The interior could be spikes and people would want it.

That's the kind of thinking a 14 year old has

Looks like the dash was made from marshmallow.

You shouldn't have posted without 100% of the facts.

This is why Veeky Forums is trash.

Ain't that the truth

But I will add that even though higher end cars had ugly ass interiors, they don't fall apart like they so in cheapo economy cars

What the fuck that thing's an ergonomic nightmare

Literally this
>Heh heh yep. I'm just in here gettin a service done on my new car. Love mah derge
>Yehhh... she's pretty good, not too many miles on her yet.
>So what are you drivin there mister?

No thanks

Yet here you are

Too expensive and while yes the viper was better, the price difference between a z06 with the 07 track package was still almost 20k cheaper than a viper acr.

Someone has to clean up the garbage.

I'd rather talk to people at a Didge dealership than a Ferrari dealership

am i getting memed? those still look much better

It was way more expensive than a vette and not a good daily driver, it was an unreliable car. Parts and modifications were horrendously expensive. It got shit gas mileage, the tires were expensive as were the brakes etc...

A vette is a daily driver, a viper really isn't. It was built like a race car and the seals around the doors and top leaked and were iffy.

You had to pay a $10,000 gas guzzler tax when you bought one, insurance was expensive too.

Additionally it was just weird enough that you had to be worried if you drove it to work someone would fuck with it in the parking lot, it drew attention like a ferarri. They didn't take to having high mileage well either, shit would break, the car would rattle, a vette goes 150k like it's nothing

The total cost of ownership of a viper over a vette was nearly double.

not a great situation

>what is every BMW from the 1990s

The interiors LITERALLY fall apart. Door panels held on with fucking ADHESIVE dropping off M3s, headliners sagging after 4-5 years, electrical gremlins galore...

About the only ones who can maintain that they had well above average build quality are Mercedes. Before they became a trash brand to appeal to niggers and upper-middle class white collar office workers.

The 996 interior is fucking disgusting. It probably has better build quality though

Yeah, that's why I said higher end cars

Mercedes is still top tier if you buy actual cars like the S Class and not yuppie-mobiles like the CLA

>Yeah my son is doing shit at football. Fuckin kid.
>I cheated on my wife with my secretary but shell never find out hahaha
>Fuckin gas ran out on my boat yesterday. Fuckin boat.
>Oh you traded in your viper for a Ferrari? How much did you have to add? haha
>Yeah I'm going to go fuck my wife after this.

>You had to pay a $10,000 gas guzzler tax when you bought one, insurance was expensive too.
holy shit what kind of mileage did vipers get?

Literally like 10 or 12 mpg

it was ridiculous

It was so much better than the vette it's not even funny. Once again people's shit taste ruins everything.

>Mercedes is still top tier if you buy actual cars like the S Class and not yuppie-mobiles like the CLA

Agreed. I like that they do still make an effort to differentiate between their product lines and what you're actually paying for. Poor people think they can buy an entry level Merc and get the same level of car for 1/5th of the price.

Mercedes makes a point of reminding poor people that they're driving an entry level car, and rewards those with means/power who drive an S Class.

I admire their German social stratification; reminding the untermensch of their place.

>they handle like shit
Nice meme, just because they didn't coddle the drivers didn't mean they weren't capable in the right hands

You've never been to a Ferrari dealership have you? They're all assholes, and I don't mean the customers, I'm talking about the people who work there too

There was a story of a guy who got rich young and wanted to buy a Ferrari, they treated him like some kid so he walked across the street to a McLaren dealership where they let him test drive a car no questions asked
6 months later he had his own 12C instead of a 458

>It was so much better than the vette it's not even funny.

Maybe on the track but getting 10mpg around town and spending $2000 for new tires gets old quick

it was not that much faster than a vette, not $50,000 faster anyway

Sounds like any other supercar

Vipers aren't cars you drive around town, they're weekend toys and track cars

The originals didn't even have roofs

>reputation as a murderer despite handling like a big Spec Miata
>Dodge/FCA reputation despite SRT itself being good
>manual only in an autofag price range
>anyone who could buy a Viper would probably rather get a 911 because muh badge/muh heritage/muh etc
>a terrible daily, only good as a 3rd or 4th car, making it further out of reach

Gosh I wonder

>Sounds like any other supercar
Well what was it's competition? 10mpg supercars that nobody daily drives? or the vette?

Originally yeah but that was because Lamborghini had more experience working aluminium, which the Viper V-10's block and Heads where both made from unlike the truck engine LA V-10.

While yeah there may be some similarities between the two they're pretty different when it comes down to it.

Literally just plastic color difference.

10mpg supercars that nobody daily drives

Problem is everyone thought the vette was its competition

Unless you're exclusively driving on the high way then the corvette mpg is just as shit.

>muh 40mpg cruising downhill in 6th gear meme

Pretty bad compared the the Vette that can get 40mpg highway.

>Vipers aren't cars you drive around town, they're weekend toys and track cars
>The originals didn't even have roofs
I agree but they were marketed to the corvette buyer demographic as a driveable car, they were not marketed like lambos are

I mean all Ferrari owners are usual douche bags so it kind of goes with the territory. BMW and Mercedes owners might be smug, but they are not assholes.

Not sure if this was the same incident, but I recall a story on the radio a few years ago like this. It was a young hockey player who got signed and had several million to his name. He went in and they treated him like absolute shit, thought he was some young douche looking to play with their cars.

He went public afterwards and shamed the fuck out of the dealership. Trying to find something on Google right now.

It would be absolutely foolish for any car dealer to treat someone poorly, especially in this day and age. I'm an insurance adjuster and it's fucking ridiculous what I see. Kids that are in their early 20's, owning 3 million dollar homes and driving Lambos because their parents are some rich Chinese assholes.

No, you will average nearly 20mpg in a vette around town

nothing remotely like 10mpg

Why? Because it has a sensible HVAC setup and a sensible parking brake?

I would have put up with two dealerships worth of assholes for a 458

My 2011 Toyota FJ gets about 20mpg and only has 260hp.

20mpg is pretty good for a car like the Corvette.

Besides, you don't buy a Corvette for empeegees, it's not even a consideration.

I agree, I was responding to the guy that said the vette gets 10mpg around town

>it's not even a consideration
What if it was one? 1 mpg

>Besides, you don't buy a Corvette for empeegees, it's not even a consideration.
I don't know I would start to reconsider a car if it got 10mpg, that doubles your gas bill, that's a big difference between getting 20 and if you go on a long trip getting nearly 30mpg

Then you're too poor and should stick to driving your Prius, cuck.

Leapfrog gas stations until you reach your destination

There's just not enough people who know how to appreciate it AND can afford it. Rich people buy SUVs and garage queen exotics.

It's a Dodge product, stop treating it like some cultural icon. It's a failure of a car and really only douchers would aspire to own one.

Name ONE person who owns/drives a Viper that isn't a colossal cuntwad.

>expensive
>quirky
>Dodge
>fantastic track car shit street car
>no reputation like a Corvette

It was so far out of the Vette's league it wasn't even in the same solar system. What the fuck are you smoking?

Snek was the one true God machine. Uncompromising. Unbelievably powerful. Incredibly fast. Ruthless.

The Vette is nothing but a soulless boomer mobile made to drive ten under the speed limits on sundays. Any attempt to actually run at a track was swiftly met with spontaneous combustion.

The Viper, on the other hand, shattered records from the day it was built until the day it transcended from this unworthy realm of existence into the next.

how is a viper not a garage queen exotic?

There's not enough of an aftermarket for them to really have them survive as track cars

>17mpg city for the C7

Not bad, I thought it was worse. I know a couple of people with an ls2 c6 corvette and they get like 12-15 mpg city at best

>Name ONE person who owns/drives a Viper that isn't a colossal cuntwad.
Elana Scherr adopted her ACR.

>It was so far out of the Vette's league it wasn't even in the same solar system. What the fuck are you smoking?

The z06 runs the quarter in about the same time as a viper

Viper at the track:

-brake fade after 10 minutes
-engine overheating
-rear tires shredded after 10 minutes
-kicked off track for constantly spinning the ass end out and endangering other drivers

Here's the thing: the Viper could be a great driver's car, if the owners knew how to drive. The problem is that everyone who has ever owned a Viper is a shitlord who can't drive.

>Name ONE person who owns/drives a Viper that isn't a colossal cuntwad.
I didn't even know the people who owned them were such dicks.
youtube.com/watch?v=T2PYZ8DeI98
Kyle seemed like such a sweet and kindhearted man-boy...

1 million times this. no one other than you autists care if it is 2 seconds slower on muh ring. they only care if it looks cool and accelerates fast

Yeah, the people with money to buy Viper's didn't want to go to a Dodge dealership to buy one. The ownership experience is something that apparently you start wanting once you have the money for premium vehicles. It's the biggest reason Cadillac has the problems it does. Its dealer network is a bunch of Chevy, Buick, GMC stores.

So can we finally admitted that not having a auto or at least a DCT version of a car is literal sales suicide unless you're Honda?

Fucking Manuel fags

>I know a couple of people with an ls2 c6 corvette and they get like 12-15 mpg city at best
Have they modified the cars? or are they nailing it all the time?

I have a 2006 GTO and I average 20mpg combined