Need to change alternator, can this be done in a parking lot somewhere...

Need to change alternator, can this be done in a parking lot somewhere? I don't have the garage space right now and live in shitty apartment..

Most of the time yes its pretty easy.

Depends on your car though. Some cars are engineered to push tour shit in.

What kind of car? Some are easy, some are hard.

4.6 2v pi heads

I've done it before on this car and the belt shred due to me installing it on wrong, bought a new belt and shes been fine ever since but alternator is going out again and I don't have a garage to work on the car

I did the alternator in a street parking spot in front of my apartment. Everyone works on their cars in the street here, because poor. My neighbor R&R'd a Nissan cylinder head in the street.

Too many people/traffic at my place right out front and not a good idea...

I'm looking for a way I can do this without fucking this up

Wait, the new alternator died in a short amount of time? You may have a bigger problem.

Alternator going out 5 years later, plus it isn't dead car starts/runs fine but the alternator is going out

Depends on the car. Sounds easy on paper but once you get into it, you are forced to come to terms with the fact that the engineers decided to hide one of the bolts about 2 feet deep in the middle of the engine bay and the only way to access it is to drop the splash guard and go arm pit deep against the headers to get enough leverage to break it loose. And then repeat putting it back.

With some cars, you don't have to do that.

Did you make sure the ledge that the alternator sits on was sanded to bare metal & removed rust rust from the alternator's surface thus giving a decent path to ground? Gotta do that on 4.6's
Other than that just do it on the street. It's literally 3 to 4 bolts and a fucking belt. A fucking 15 minute job. Just make sure you have a long enough bar to manipulate the belt tensioner.
Don't buy a fucking new alternator either just get a junkyard job for 40 bucks or check your voltage regulator.

Oh god faggot, the 4.6 alternator is right on top of the fucking engine held in by two fucking bolts that even the cheapest harbor freight toolkit can tackle.

bout mines in autozone , did it in the parking lot , one of the workers was my 3rd hard for a sec then crunk it up and drove TF off.

bought**

>TFW you literally have to drain the coolant to change your alternator.

I walked my 63 yearold mother through how to change the alternator on her 5.0 over the phone.

If you can't change one on a 4.6, just remember you're less of a man than her.

You've done it once, why are you asking us? You forgot how you did it?

This. Not to mention they will bench test it for you in case it's not actually the real problem

>3rd hard
He must've been cute desu :3

>tfw you have the take the intake manifold off to do 3 spark plugs

t. FWD v6 owner

t. sherlock

Occasionally the new or refurbished alternator will NOT come with the pulley.

You need an impact in that case to get the nut to break loose, but that's only in cars with weird pulleys and such.

I'm looking at you, Volvo 240

Yea this one isn't too hard to do since I've done it twice now

Only issue is I don't have a garage to do this at and don't really want to start working somewhere in a parking lot with no sun coverage, also last time I've done this I fucked up the belt and it shredded within minutes, will need to make sure I can follow the belt pattern correctly..

Tfw when you need to partially remove the engine to change spark plugs.

umm, that's the turbo in your picture silly! and NO you CAN'T change the turbo in the parking lot, you have to take it to a professional otherwise your engine is going to blow up.

We've built home made turbo swaps in the garage all the time, doesn't need to be made by a professional from a certified school just a home made mechanic and guys who have always worked on their cars on their own. The biggest thing my friend would spend money on and go to a shop to have done was bore/honing the block, cleaning up the block, sleeves etc.. other than that everything else was done by his friends in the garage...