>Motorcycle Hookups
>Motorcycle Pics & Boring Webbums
>Motorcycle Hot Opinions

/dbt/ map:
google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1YwqbzbdRjMAItdOZPktcND3Nr98

Noob? Git gud:

webms with sounds
Stale bread:

Hyper sport tires for day to day usage y/n?

No.

No, why?

>Unreasonably comfy.

No, you'll flat spot them in no time.

No, just get PR4s. They're more than sticky enough for any riding you'll be doing. Also durable.

I've been wanting an Oldwing for a while now but I feel like I would be missing out if I didn't get a faired model.
How does yours ride?

no.
>tfw bought a bike with PP3s and the rear is over half way worn through at 2700 miles.
I don't know why but my tires never seem to last as long as other people who use the same tires.

>go with buddy to check out a xt225 for him
>get out of the car and sellers dog charges at me
>"O he is not gonna bite"
>Mutt bites me

Why do sellers do this shit. Put your fucking dog away if you want to sell your bike. How do I go back and poison this mutt?

>updated CBR650F would be perfect next bike if I can only have one bike
>except they are way the fuck too expensive new
Like I can use the better gas mileage/range and more commuter friendly gearing far more than the extra performance from an F4i but for several thousand dollars more who the fuck cares?

What sort of riding are you doing? A hard launch everytime is gonna wear them out quicker. Some people also wear the tires down to the chord instead of to the tread indicator.

>Motorcycle Dating Advice
>UNREASONABLE edition
How do I reasonably find a gf?

Dip pants in poison, wear pants over long johns, dog bites, dog is kill.

I just put new tires on it and it rides great. Extremely smooth with the air suspension, and it's the only bike I've ridden 350 miles in a day and not had ass / back / arm fatigue at all. It's like sitting in a chair that can roll down the highway at 75 effortlessly. It sounds like a tractor at low RPM, but if you rip the throttle back it totally changes tune and pulls strong all the way to the end of the speedometer. First gear is a little short, but that's probably a necessity with the full fairing versions when you've got 200lbs of luggage and your fat wife on the back. 5th gear cruises perfectly anywhere from 50 up.

Carving through some lazy forest twisties at ~55-60 felt great, like butter over glass. It's surprisingly nimble and corners well once you get used to the huge weight of the bike. I haven't scraped pegs yet, but I wouldn't really want to anyway. The heads stick so far out the side you could probably scrape them if you decided to push it.

I'm not a big fan of the look or extra weight that come with full fairings, so this bike was a great find for me. That said, I'm probably going to install a windshield on mine. 55mph and below it's as comfy as you've ever been, but when you start edging up on 65-75, you definitely start to feel the wind with the upright riding position. I think even a fairly small windshield will help a lot.

10/10 for lazy weekend cruising or wandering down to the bar. If you want something that'll grab you by the balls and tickle your prostate, look elsewhere.

Start by ending your no-bike status.

>Dog bites you.

Did you punch it right in its fucking head? I would lose my shit if someones dog bit me.

F4is are built like tanks with bulletproof engines, and they are dirt cheap. You know what you must do.

A-a-are there further steps, lad?

>V-strom

Yeah find a 40 year old single mom to date.

Not for getting a gf. But expect them to leave when they realize that just because you own a bike, you don't have rippling muscles, a giant dong, a six figure checking account, and the social ability to carry on a conversation that doesn't leave her jealous of your baiku.

I like doggos, I don't want to hurt it just bc its owners are retarded. He was friendly the first time but started freaking out when we showed up to pick up the bike.

If you buy a motorcycle, at the end of the day you have a motorcycle.
If you want a girlfriend just wear a tap-out shirt at a community college and pretend like you have brain damage.

Does it look like Bimmer?

Well, I fucking hate traps. So that leaves me with my hand, so ronery.

A dog that bites deserves to get punched.

>Don't want to hurt it.
>How do I poison it?

tooj, wheelies, a little commuting, and just generally fucking around for fun

Guy with the black Harley here.

Gotta throw it in the bank account tomorrow but that should keep me gassed up, fed and pay for any repairs I need on my trip.

Looking at getting a used CBF250 for 1500 AUD with 55,000km. Seems like it's in good condition.
I know its underpowered but its gonna be my first bike. Seem like a good deal?

>a fucking Leaf
>Harley Rider
Do you get confused sometimes? About weather to blow Dogs or Gays?

nice monopoly money

You could do a lot worse. AUD 1.5-2K is VTR250 money for the same kays though.

That's why. Most people posting tire mileage aren't riding that aggressively.

Sounds solid.

Buy it, ride it for minimum 6 months, I'd suggest a year at least.

Then start looking around for its replacement.

Floorboards with forwards, get on my comfy level.

i just changed my oil and put just a little to much in. When the bike is straight up the oil bubble on the engine is like 99% full, but when the bike is on kickstand the bubble is nearly empty. the bubble indicates it should be around 60 to 80% full. So should i lets some oil from the drain bolt or am i fine?

It will be throw out any way, just leave it in.

Not going to lie, forward controls are incredibly comfortable. If I ever replace the Goldwing with something else for touring, it's going to be something with forward controls.

There's a kit for putting boards on it, but honestly I don't see them being much more comfortable than the huge flat pegs it already has. It's the knee angle that makes it.

I guess I could put the crash bars on and get some universal pegs to put my feet up on highway rides.

If you don't want oil to be dribbling out of your breather for the next few days, you should drain a little out.

When I over-fill my XR it spits out of the crankcase breather into the air box and makes a mess of my side panel and frame.

Floorboards are nice because you can flat foot at multiple knee angles, or go bowlegged and rest the side of your heels with toes outward. I need to get the shift lever from a softtail and cut the extended shaft off of it and weld it to a dyna lever so I can throw a heel-toe on my dyna now.

I had mini foldout floorboards, hated em, forward pegs, they were ok, but floorboards are just absolutely silly in how comfortable they make things, plus when you get on really shitty gravel and crush you can put half your foot on them and stand easily.

I've got some PR4s waiting for when winter rolls around.
Just put some S21s on today for the summer and track day next month. Supposedly they have a pretty good lifespan

How the hell am I supposed to choose a windshield that will look good on my bike when I can't find any pictures of the available products on my bike?

You make a strong case.

I need a cup holder, wind shield, and USB charging port first. This kit is available, but it's $360. Something to keep in mind at least.

Touring cruiers are for people who don't like bikes but are too insecure to be seen in a convertible.

berating people for their choice of bike on Veeky Forums is for people who don't own bikes but are too insecure to say that to someone irl

>tfw talk shit to Harley riders face and they drop their spaghetti and have no idea how to react
Sometimes it's really funny, I've seen people actually start going on about "real bikes" like kkk.

Pfft, you call that comfy

Can confirm

I finally got my plates, my dudes!!

i just realized i need insurance now...

Please help

Thank you for your valuable opinion, friend :)

Decel pop is caused by a bike running too lean, which is caused by a few things. If it's EFI its probably just tuned to meet EPA requirements and will pop regardless unless you richen the tune, you may also have an exhaust leak, if it's carb you could have a partially obstructed fuel delivery going on, or an exhaust leak.

Your carbs are fucking dirty man, clean em. Make sure you got no exhaust leak. If they sat with gas all winter you probably varnished em right the fuck up.

popping on decel usually means youre running lean. id just clean the carbs and see what happens. maybe do a leakdown and check compression? i dont really know though, im not a mechanic

If bikes are so cheap, whats the point of owning a slow one?

Not all bikes are cheap but not all bikes are weird plastic covered riceburners either.

Pictured: 2017 Harley Street Glide CVO, $38K MSRP.

I wouldn't buy one but there you are.

i dumfuk wrench turner forgot plug in picture

>debt
Nope

That thing is 38k?
Why?

I have one. Brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. Worth saving up for.

A name. You can get better cruisers for less money

> he cant pay 38k cash

Pleb.

He's posted that picture in almost every thread going on two years now. You must be new.

Grom definitely a cute, but it's the size of my 10yo sisters 50cc pit bike.
It's literally worth like a max $800 to me. So I never plan on getting one.
But still very cute.

10 to 1 it's not even the same guy, just a running meme people like to use.

>for the price of a new Harley you could buy an RC30 or a states legal RZ500 or Gamma.
This blows my mind.

Oh, I know. Just saying. I got it recently so I figured it was relevant.

This one's got a 186cc BBK, chimera intake, werkes racing exhaust and a custom ECM specifically for this build. I don't think I'd really want a stock grom since I would like to go on the highway and not die, but this one can move the fuck out even with my 220lb ass on it.

No. But I paid 20k cash.

I know the grom has more power than a pit bike, at least my sisters, but it's the actual size of the bike that kills me.
I've sat on one, I couldn't ride that unless to fuck around. I had an xr600 which had a seat height of 955mm, and that was just about perfect.

You guys know that's a harley, not all harleys right? Like you know they make different models yeah?

You can get a Street 500 for $3000, a Sportster for a little more, a Dyna for sub $10k, a softail from $10k all the way to $30k and the massive touring frames like that street glide from $20k+

I don't see the point of a Street Glide or a CVO (CVO being Harleys inhouse customs people) but some guys like those huge fairings with the huge stereos, built in GPS and other assorted fuckery, sattelite radios and what other shit they got on em like voice activated features, big amplifiers, subwoofers and all that crap.

how do they manage to make a v-twin that wide?

What is a good skid plate for a drz400?

Cool story bruh!

>has to wait for plates
>but doesnt have insurance
What state do you live in? In my state you have to show them proof of insurance then they get your plate out of a stack while you're in the office.

thumpertalk.com

Did you mean long? If you truly meant width they're not overly wide at all.

i meant width. it's that big thing on the left side where I guess they have another belt or chain or something for the transmission

Woooooow.
You best be ruseing us nigga

That's called a primary, yes it's where the crank is connected to the transmission via the primary chain. It's because the crankcase and transmission are not one unit like lots of metrics. There are exceptions like the Sportster models which are all in one but in this case the transmission is a seperate serviceable, replaceable upgradeable unit.

Heres what's inside, mostly.

That the primary drive, it houses the stator, clutch, and primary drive chain.

It sends power from the crank to the main shaft.

I knew what it did. Just didn't know the name of it. Still makes the thing wide af.

Here it is all bolted back together, the primary houses the compensator, the primary chain, tensioner, clutch and is where the starter engages everything. It keeps the clutch bathed in its own oil which allows seperate lube for the motor, primary/clutch and transmission. It makes servicing anything really, really fucking easy compared to a unitized crankcase/transmission combo....

Like my XS650, if my transmission has a problem the whole motors got to come apart essentially, in this case it's removing the primary, chain, drive belt, lines and then unbolting the transmission housing from the engine case so I can service or replace it if need be.

I've described Harleys as farm requipment on /dbt/ threads more than a few times and the analogy is really quite apt.

So are inline 4's and 6's. t h i c c

>cylinder leakdown tester for $32
I don't need it right now but I'm tempted just because it's cheaper than normal and I could test my bikes for the helluvit.

Never a bad idea being able to monitor your compression, good indicator of the lifespan and overall health of your motor.

thing is I'm poor and shouldn't really be spending money on unnecessary things right now. It would be nice to have but not necessary

You can make your own for about $20 worth of parts at Princess Auto/Harbour Freight.

Knock the core out of a sparkplug, get some airline, run that two a small regulator and PSI gauge for an airbrush compressor in their pneumatic section, done.

Really the only bad thing is that it's huge and heavy.

I'd rather ride an "Adventure Touring" bike on a long trip than a Harley, the seating position just doesn't work for me on a cruiser.

Simple to fix is usually a good thing though.

But honestly, how often does a motorcycle transmission fail?

I ride Supermotos... and I've heard of WR450 3rd gear having issues on occasion, but it's always dudes clutching up third gear wheelies really harshly. Husqvarna 610 with gear coating delaminating after like 50k KM... not a big deal there... other than that I haven't heard of any trannys quitting life on motorcycles.

You can do it even cheaper if you act like a nignog and pocket all the brass fittings while in the store.

Your truck is adorable, and I bet you save a fuck ton on gas.
Jelly.

Or you know... order one from fucking China for $10 instead of being a nigger.

It has less than 40hp... it gets like 30mpg, so not really. It does fit through a surprising amount of peoples gates to get into their backyard... great for mulch jobs.

I've not once heard of a common issue with the transmissions on any of the bikes I've owned, and I've never had one personally.

Current XR650L and GL1100 gearboxes last literally forever apparently. GL1100 by the way is another bike that's huge and heavy, but it's as comfortable as you would ever ask of a bike.

When I rebuilt my XS650 the gears were all chowdered to fuck but that motorcycles almost what, 35 years old and the exception doesn't prove the rule.

The inverse of the transmission is especially true on Harleys because upgrading the motors is a huge thing and people usually do it in increments, top end kit from SE here, S&S lower end there, then they pull that motor and slop in something completely different. Legobikes.

And motors can just fucking fail if you don't treat them right. I have a friend who just did nearly 1400km in a little over 10 hours, so other than stops he basically kept his 1000lb harley bagger going 140km/hr while hauling a tent trailer.

By the time he stopped he couldn't fire the bike again, cooked the motor. Rear cylinder got so hot it melted the automatic compression release and spat it out, housings fucked, guaranteed the engines destroyed.

He's got the money to do that kind of crazy shit though so eh, go hard. He's already got his bagger trailered the whole way home and it's at the shop getting a new motor swapped in.

Got the intake boots off the Suzuki tonight so I could do the o-rings. Gave me an excuse to finally break down and buy a Dremel.

>Fuck you, stripped screws.

Why does it have nissan hubcaps, but a honda badge.
It is cute, but damn, my ranger doesn't get much less than that.

>The bike couldn't handle a long, consistent run at 85mph with a trailer without self destructing.

Sounds to me like your friend needs a different bike. Maybe a Goldwing, or a Valkyrie. You know, something designed not to fail.

>truck makes less power than the dirt bike it's hauling
lel

It's great you can swap them out "easily" but I'd rather buy a bike that doesn't cook itself

any dirt bike fags near Denver?